FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Isn't it funny... (Or Subsets of Hatrack Community/Threads You Post In)

Author Topic: Isn't it funny... (Or Subsets of Hatrack Community/Threads You Post In)
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
...how depending on which treads you're partial to checking (assuming you don't just have time to read them all) you can completely miss the existence and presence of members of Hatrack who are here and perfectly active, but post in different threads?

I just noticed that there were several members here who I thought were long gone, and I just hadn't seen them post in the last couple of months cause I had succeeded in not going into hardly any of the same threads.

Editted to specify the title more thoroughly. [Wink]

[ May 06, 2008, 03:48 AM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup...
Tis interesting.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
And, OTOH, there are members that you seem to encounter in nearly every thread you read and post in.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Woah, Alcon, you're still here!

Just kidding. [Smile]

P.S. Yes, that is weird.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I always feel so jealous of the folks who seem to be able to post EVERYWHERE! It's all I can do to keep up on the other side of the board. I hardly ever manage to have the time to come over here, and when I do I'm usually so far behind that merely reading the first couple of pages of one or two posts is all I have time for. Maybe it's because I'm still limitted to dial up, but I'm not sure if I could get through everything even with an instant connection and no job!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I've definitely narrowed a lot about which threads I post in, not that I think I'm one of your living fossils, just sayin' is all. For instance, titles like this one rarely draw me in. Threads with a link and no explanation are ususally misses for me. Anything about the middle east I might come in and peek around, but rarely post. Interspecies romance is right out.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely not one of them pooka, I see you in the Presidential Primary thread all the time [Wink]

I just think it's sort of amazing how in this relatively small web community, just as in large RL community's, someone's interests can dictate who they interact with. With out them even meaning them to.

For example lately I've been sticking to more political threads, cause I've gotten really drawn up in politics. I've been completely ignoring fluffy threads which I used to participate in. As a result, I've had pretty much no interaction with those who avoid political threads, or avoid posting in them. I'd completely forgotten they existed, since I only regularly interact with a subset of the board's users.

I imagine there are a very number of users here who check out a wide enough variety of threads to see everyone who ever posts. But I wonder how many of us only ever really see a subset of users? I wonder how much our perception of the over all leanings of hatrackers are colored by that?

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to have broken into the "Only post in the computer geek fixit threads" habit. Cause frankly, those are the only ones that seem to actually be worth posting in for me. Most of them seem to be either fluff (which is fun somethings) or political argument, which I've decided is not worth my time any more.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I ENNIE MEENIE MINIE MOE the topics and post accordingly.

Am I spelling ennie meenie minie moe correctly?

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I've tended more towards lurking recently.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Threads:
I've tended more towards lurking recently.

nothing wrong with a bit of lurking...that way you can shock people when you do finally post.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally only read threads with a title that gives me a good idea of what's inside. Threads without specific titles are usually either jokes or personal problems, and by the time I get around to reading them, everyone who came before me has already said anything I would have said and I usually don't say anything. That isn't to say that I don't like reading threads with jokes or personal problems, I just generally don't wade through non-specific thread titles unless I have an excess of time.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Threads without specific titles are usually either jokes or personal problems

Hmm. I disagree.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Threads, 700+ posts since August isn't lurking!

< --- lurks

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I started out on the other side...now I barely ever venture over there.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like no one really knows who I am (except Lyrhawn). I don't post that much anymore, and it's usually in fluff threads. To be honest, I'm sort of afraid of the most serious political threads, or just can't keep up with them.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I generally only read threads with a title that gives me a good idea of what's inside...

Did you post that when this one was titled "Isn't it funny..."? [Big Grin] That's what kept me from making a similar comment.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I generally only read threads with a title that gives me a good idea of what's inside.

Same here. Every now and then I peak into a thread without a specific title and am surprised to find I've missed a very interesting discussion.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree, Alcon.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Who's that Megachirops guy? [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I try to keep up with the pregnancy thread, and I always read the mommies with new babies thread, and I read the last page of the presidential primary thread--which means if there's been more than one page of conversation since I've read the thread, I will miss it. I'm more interested in the commentary on how the primaries are going and the predictions on what will come next.

I find that I miss interesting questions because of vague thread titles all the time. It's unfortunate, but even if I do open the thread, I'll probably forget what it was called when I go to find it again, if I don't forget about it completely.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Who's that Megachirops guy? [Wink]

Curse you and your access at home!
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Pfft. It took you an additional 36+ hours to respond -- home access only explains ~12 hours.
Achilles
Member # 7741

Good point.

Curse your relevant observations!

(Do you want a job in beautiful wine country?)

Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Haven't we established that kosher food in your vicinity is less than simple to come by? Plus housing prices even worse than the ones around here -- how can I pass? [Razz]
Achilles
Member # 7741

Good help is hard to come by....
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody who is in the other threads than me, im Largetuna, i like reading, soccer, Dew, games, and almost every sport. Hi [Big Grin]
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Threads without specific titles are usually either jokes or personal problems

Hmm. I disagree.
You're probably right. It SEEMS like whenever I pop into one of those threads that's what it's about. I feel I should reemphasize that I'm not downplaying jokes or personal problems. I've posted personal problems and jokes in threads before. It's just that when I'm short on time I like to have easy access to a thread's contents before I dive in. It's just a preference, not a rule.

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
quote:
I generally only read threads with a title that gives me a good idea of what's inside...

Did you post that when this one was titled "Isn't it funny..."? [Big Grin] That's what kept me from making a similar comment.
Okay, amend that to "a good idea of what's inside or a vague title that piques my interest."

[Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:
I feel like no one really knows who I am (except Lyrhawn). I don't post that much anymore, and it's usually in fluff threads. To be honest, I'm sort of afraid of the most serious political threads, or just can't keep up with them.

And in case anyone was wondering, she's awesome. [Big Grin] Even if she is a BoSox fan. [Razz]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
I never post in threads with titles like "Isn't it funny..."

Oh, wait...

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
or a vague title that piques my interest.

And that's why the vague titles. [Big Grin]
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Not just topics, but entire discussion trends.

My posting frequency has declined drastically in the last few years. I'm not surprised if anything thinks I'm long gone, although I'm not sure I was ever here at all.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

I see you post often still.

Oh, wait. That's not here, is it?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.