FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How about a magic trick? The Dark Knight SPOILER Thread (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: How about a magic trick? The Dark Knight SPOILER Thread
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
My only problem with the whole sonar thing is I don't understand why Lucius and Batman found it so morally deplorable that the system had to be destroyed after one use.

I get that the real reason is probably because it would be too convenient a plot device in future movies. But the in-story explanation of it being unethical seemed odd considering that Batman has done things like breaking mobsters' legs by dropping them from high places, and letting Ra's Al-Ghul die rather than try to save him. Having the ability to see inside buildings and listen to phone conversations didn't strike me as being so bad.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the sonar thing.
It was cool

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sonar? Like... a... a..."

"Like a submarine."

"yeah. A submarine."

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarabon
Member # 11710

- posted      Profile for Tarabon           Edit/Delete Post 
I take it you agree with Mr. Bush's warantless wiretapping neo dragon?

Haha, that's a joke.

I'm not apologizing for saying someones comments were stupid until you apologize for saying my comments make me look foolish. You seem to have a major problem with understanding what a doub;e standard is. And I don't care if you or anyone takes me seriously. If you think it matters at all to anyone on the internet who has never met you what you think about them, then maybe you take yourself way to seriously.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"You seem to have a major problem with understanding what a doub;e standard is."

Nope, there's no double standard being applied here.

"If you think it matters at all to anyone on the internet who has never met you what you think about them, then maybe you take yourself way to seriously."

Defensive much? If you don't care then why are you explaining yourself so much?

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not apologizing for saying someones comments were stupid until you apologize for saying my comments make me look foolish.
Personally, I'm not saying that you should apologize for saying some random person's comments were stupid. For my part, I'm saying you look foolish when you imply that Glenn Arnold thinks child molesters should roam free.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarabon
Member # 11710

- posted      Profile for Tarabon           Edit/Delete Post 
Why, Tom? Maybe he does? If he's consistent with how he thinks, then he thinks they should be cured rather than punished. That's what a lot of these people think. And then alot of them think that the cure doesn't mean they should be locked away.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
When you can see the foolishness in what you just said, only then you will be ready. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] aren't newbies cute.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it kind of odd that no one noticed their cell phones emitting sonar signals? I mean, some people are talking into their cell phones. I don't know, it seemed kind of weird that no one knew what was going on.

Anyway, it was kind of a bit of a stretch that Wayne could hijack every single cell phone within the city. The first instance of sonar with Lucius Fox was understandable, since both phones were in his possession. Perhaps if the movie had spent some time to establish that Wayne Enterprises had a cell phone plan or something.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I have no idea how they would have found time for this, I would have liked to see the common Gothamite's reaction to Harvey Dent.

There was a lot implied about the symbols that he and Batman presented, but very little actually shown.

Batman is a criminal whose main purpose is to instill fear in the bad guys. When he inspired people, they became criminals too who were putting themselves at great risk to follow him. He wasn't ready and wasn't happy with his effect on the non-criminal element.

Harvey Dent was an icon of the system. Hopefully his influence went beyond attacking the bad people and more torwards people having more faith in the good.

I'd have loved looks at how this played out, but, man, that's really a movie in itself.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
My only problem with the whole sonar thing is I don't understand why Lucius and Batman found it so morally deplorable that the system had to be destroyed after one use.

I get that the real reason is probably because it would be too convenient a plot device in future movies. But the in-story explanation of it being unethical seemed odd considering that Batman has done things like breaking mobsters' legs by dropping them from high places, and letting Ra's Al-Ghul die rather than try to save him. Having the ability to see inside buildings and listen to phone conversations didn't strike me as being so bad.

Not to mention massive destruction of private property. I agree, there's an inconsistency between their attitude toward the cell phone surveillance and the rest of the ethical compromises which they keep making. I think it was either a) an irresistible chance to poke at recent events having to do with surveillance and privacy rights or b) an irresistible plot device (which like you said maybe would be too easy for future plots, although I don't see why they wouldn't build it again if they saw a similar need). [Smile]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
plus... once the batcave is finished they will have to build the supercomputer that knows everything anyway... or it just wouldnt be batman.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarabon:
I take it you agree with Mr. Bush's warantless wiretapping neo dragon?

Haha, that's a joke.

I got a chuckle out of that. [Smile]

quote:
I'm not apologizing for saying someones comments were stupid until you apologize for saying my comments make me look foolish. You seem to have a major problem with understanding what a doub;e standard is.
Not in the slightest. The suggestion of apology was (like Tom mentioned) for assuming offensive things about what someone else thinks, not for saying that the comments were stupid. So again, not the same thing so that's not a double standard.

quote:
And I don't care if you or anyone takes me seriously. If you think it matters at all to anyone on the internet who has never met you what you think about them, then maybe you take yourself way to seriously.
Not especially, no. But many of us do try to be helpful from time to time. Since you've had several posts complaining about not feeling welcomed, some of us have offered advice as to how you could be perceived more as a member of the community instead of a random internet stranger. It's unfortunate that you seem to be viewing this advice as attacks instead of assistance.

I think you'll find that you receive much as you give here, be it respect, scorn, humor, information, friendliness, or what-have-you.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

quote:
Originally posted by Ecthalion:
plus... once the batcave is finished they will have to build the supercomputer that knows everything anyway... or it just wouldnt be batman.

When they first showed the big sonar computer bank, before you could see what was going on on the screens, I thought it was supposed to be the batcomputer.
I think I would have liked it better if they'd kept the sonar bank and done away with the goggles portion of it. They could have had Lucius telling him where the thugs were but Batman using his normal vision or nightvision.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarabon:
then maybe you take yourself way to seriously.

It seems to be that someone should have made the obligatory "Why so serious?" crack by now, but seeing as they haven't....
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If he's consistent with how he thinks, then he thinks they should be cured rather than punished.
I haven't gone anywhere. If you have an example of what I said that bears out this conjecture, please copy it and quote it into a post to make your point.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathematician
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Mathematician           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I'm sure everything that can be said has been said, so I'll just say this:

Wow!

What he said.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like the sonar thing. That whole sequence of Batman going through the building saving the civilians reeked too much of an add-in to make the movie more adaptable for a video game tie-in.

It seemed silly and out of place.

I loved the movie. My internal ranking of the movie is 4 out of 5 stars. Had they left that part out it would have been a 5 star movie.

I like that Batman used the sonar thing to find the joker. I liked the plot device, but it seemed the director added that scene in to just show it off--and it didn't work for me.

I still saw it twice in the theaters.

Edit:

quote:
Which brings me to the next question: Who (if anybody) would be capable of taking over the role? The one that comes to mind is Brad Pitt (think 12 monkeys).
I can't answer that because I had no faith that Ledger could pull off the joker. I was shocked and surprised and oh-so-happy someone played the joker exactly how I always wanted to imagine him.

Ledger? Who knew? Not me. Now I am willing to admit that anyone can surprise me. For all I know Scott Baio could pull it off.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to be one of the few people who liked the sonar scene. I did think the seizure inducing style was a little too much, but I liked that they actually came up with a "reason" for him to have the glowy eyes that we see in the comic books.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
heh.
Scot baio.

Well, I thought the sonar scene was incredibly cool
Besides, he's supposed to be a giant bat.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
Somehow, I managed to totally not notice that. It IS pretty appropriate.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I liked the fight aspect of the sonar scene a lot, because he was fighting off both the bad guys and the swat team. Being in a position of having to fight off cops without killing or too seriously injuring them is classic Batman.

"Fighting cops. It's been a while..." -The Dark Knight Returns

--Enigmatic

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
Hence the line about submarines, but I guess it was a little too subtle.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Yes him fighting cops and bad guys was soooooo cool.

Also Batman Forever looks even more terrible compared to Nolan's batman movies.

[ August 09, 2008, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
That's not fair. The Schumacher Batman films are bad enough to be terrible on their own (lack of) merits.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Yes him fighting cups and bad guys was soooooo cool.

And here I'd thought cups had turned their backs on their lives of crime. [Wink]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.