FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are we doing about Guantanamo and Hurricanes.

Author Topic: What are we doing about Guantanamo and Hurricanes.
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Four Cubans died when Ike trounced Cuba. Havana was partially evacuated.

So far no one I know, seen, or read has mentioned what happens to the Gitmo prisoners during a Hurricane.

Has anyone seen any stories about them?

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
That is a really good question.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see there being an issue, Gitmo is a secure military facility, hurricanes don't pose much risk beyond wind damage and flooding and that wont mean a whole lot behind a foot of concrete. I'm sure they'll be much more dry and warm than when they're getting waterboarded.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Four Cubans died when Ike trounced Cuba. Havana was partially evacuated.
I can't believe that only four died. The storm flattened the island by all accounts.

quote:
...hurricanes don't pose much risk beyond wind damage and flooding...
Forgive me for asking, but have you ever experienced a hurricane?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when my college buddy (who joined the Air Force) was in Pensacola, at the naval air station, during Hurricane Ivan. He said they moved all the personnel to a sturdy building and waited it out. From what I gathered, they have plans in place and they know which buildings are reinforced well enough to withstand the winds.

I'm sure the military has some sufficiently reinforced buildings capable of withstanding a hurricane and situated so as to avoid flooding.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Related Article

quote:
There was no word on whether the military moved any of the 255 or so war-on-terror detainees from the base's sprawling Caribbean-front prison camp to shelters.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Darth_Mauve isn't the only one asking this question: http://www.slate.com/id/2199925/
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
JSC has plenty of buildings that are "Hurricane Proof". Mission control being one of them. They are supposed to withstand winds over 150 mph. They can't evacuate the whole center since there is alwyas an ISS Mission going.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.