FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The “Male” gender's perspective of Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The “Male” gender's perspective of Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight?
Presences
Member # 8492

- posted      Profile for Presences           Edit/Delete Post 
The “Male” gender's perspective of Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight?

I am of the male gender, and was very hesitant to read the first book given the label of a “romance novel”, but all the hype aroused my curiosity and I had to take a stab. Call me whatever you wish, but the simple fact is, most males will avoid “romance” novels for many reasons, however, it seems the Twilight series has possibly changed this. Maybe it’s because it’s not really a “romance” novel. I really don’t know.

Though I’m only into the book 100 pages, I have to admit I’m hooked. Any book that can keep me up until 2:00 AM on a weekday is a good book in my…book? Whenever I read a book, I say to myself, “If I make it to 100 pages, I’ll probably finish it.” I think with this book however, I’ll have to decide at page 200 if I’ll finish it. I’m awaiting the anticipated romance part to start, which may end the current course I’m on. Well 100 pages into it and I’m very captivated.

As a male, I find the female character, Bella, fascinating. If you females really think and act the ways Bella does, then I was way off in my theory of females being just complex; you’re exceedingly multifarious. O, and I think Edward is the mysterious superhero, bad boy, defiant, but caring person. He is the epitome of what I wish I was back in high school; he’s everything a heterosexual male wants females to see themselves as (at lease at that age).

In any case, I’m wondering if I can get any fellow “male” opinions about the series. No spoilers please, just your thoughts and opinions about story, characters, etc., and if you agree with my analysis. Anyone can respond of course, I’m just curious…

[ September 12, 2008, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Presences ]

Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't get through more than a couple of paragraphs. But then, I like to eat babies and kick grandmothers, so I can only offer the hyper-masculine perspective.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everything you said about hte first book - Bella is very interesting, and Edward is practically Galatea he is such fantasy-fulfillment.

Not male, sorry, but I didn't fall in love with Edward (not my fantasy) and didn't read the sequels, but the first one was solid.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not male, but I like it.

I would not mind having an Edward my age, but he's too brooding. Too Squal-like. Maybe if he and Jacob were mixed in one person, because Jacob as a warm sense of humour, but he's immature. Edward can be too serious and intense. But at least he's not as bad as the guy in The Wind Blows Backwards. gah.

What I really want is a guy like Ian in the Host.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read any of the twilight books, but I did read Host by her.

I found every single character either boring, unbelievable, annoying, or some combination of the three.

From what I've heard, many of the specific complaints I had with Host are worse in her Twilight books.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Presences
Member # 8492

That's an interesting comment mr, as I've really enjoyed the characters so far. I can because I knew people just like them when I was in high school. [Evil] Vampires and all...
Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a few pages of New Moon. I thought the writing, and particularly the characterizations, were sort of on a Robert Jordan level. If the plot had grabbed me I would have read on, hating myself the whole time. As it was, I haven't considered reading the books since.

But my wife love-hates them.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you mean "perspective".
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Presences
Member # 8492

right.
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a reason you put quotes around male? [Confused]
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a foreign word.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
The book is pure titillation without substance.

It's like a hooker. You get a cheap sense of fulfillment out of it, but then you start to realize that it wasn't much of anything.

There is no relationship between Edward and Bella. It's simply wish-fulfillment for the teenage girls.

The characters are cardboard cutouts.

I am a male.

(And my disclaimer is that I read the first book all in one sitting because it was indeed captivating)

It's really really bad.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's like a hooker. You get a cheap sense of fulfillment out of it, but then you start to realize that it wasn't much of anything.

Interesting analogy. How do you know it's accurate?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can because I knew people just like them when I was in high school.
Who did you know in high school like Edward? Keep in mind that he literally twinkles, he's so dreamy.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the first book and I keep wanting to pick it up, but I'm lazy and there's also this bitterness inside me due to how EVERY female I've ever known in real life to read them....swoons over Edward nonstop.

I guess I just don't like being a single guy trying to get a date when all the girls I know are having their expectations raised to unrealistic levels [Smile] Now, I'll concede if someone manages to write a romance novel for ME that has the girl of my dreams...and no, it's not just the looks. I have a very nice personality in mind...of course, people don't think guys are interested in that, so I don't see a book coming out anytime soon >_<

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Brother,

Katie and I started reading this together. I figured it'd be nice to read it cause she loves the books so much and she'd have someone to talk to about them. We made it to page 3 and I couldn't stand it anymore. I may give it another shot sometime.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

There was this guy in high school that my best friend and I called Surf God. He was tall, blond, tan, with a smile like David Tennant's. He probably didn't literally glow, but he might as well have.

I never spoke to him. I would run away as fast as I could if he even looked at me, just to avoid the possibility of humiliating myself for all eternity. It's hilarious to think of now, but that's part of why I think the first book WAS successful, bad writing at all. There's a magic to writing a realistic 17-year-old girl and then handing her the perfect, perfect, perfect guy.

I mock and am not hooked on the Twilight books now, but I would probably have loved them as a teenager. Dangit, I had a serious crush on ENDER as a teenager - I doubt my hormones and extreme optimism in the brilliant-yet-broken archetype would have held out.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Bella's character is realistic.

Atleast I'd like to hope she isn't realistic.

I hope someone as shallow as her doesn't exist.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But my wife love-hates them.
My feelings exactly. It's almost embarrassing to admit I enjoyed something this terrible in any way. The whole time I was reading them (and for a week afterward) I was raging around my house about how badly they suck. Guess I'm just a romance sheep, which is funny because I've never made it through a real romance novel.

quote:
There was this guy in high school that my best friend and I called Surf God. He was tall, blond, tan, with a smile like David Tennant's. He probably didn't literally glow, but he might as well have.

There's a magic to writing a realistic 17-year-old girl and then handing her the perfect, perfect, perfect guy.

See, this is the part that I found the least interesting/believable. I remember a guy or two like that in high school, and I never, ever liked them. Guys like that are incredibly uninteresting to me, which is why I hated Edward. Perfect is boring.

Team Jacob 4ever!!!!

quote:
If you females really think and act the ways Bella does, then I was way off in my theory of females being just complex; you’re exceedingly multifarious.
Ajkdgfjksdsdfsdgf! Please let me never think the way Bella does, with her inner monologue that gives you the impression that she's mature in someway, but actions that put her about on the intelligence level of a four-week-old kitten.

I think that, at best, you may have a good idea of how Stephenie Meyer thinks, coupled with characters who are driven to inaction or stupid action because realistic action would upset the drive of her "plot" and cause her to write something that actually takes its characters into consideration.

Without spoiling too much, I will say that this becomes painfully obvious in Eclipse, when Edward is absolutely and one-hundred percent forgiving of Bella when he should at least be a little bit bummed and at worst should punch her in the mouth over some things she does. But he CAN'T be upset with her, because she needs to be relatively emotionally free to commit some atrocities that drive the "plot" and create romantically charged situations.

quote:
there's also this bitterness inside me due to how EVERY female I've ever known in real life to read them....swoons over Edward nonstop.

I, personally, wish Edward had died or something after book one. Or maybe I wish the whole series had started at book 2. Whatever.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Female here.I'm in the middle of the book myself. And at first I was thinking it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Now,a bout 2/3 of the way through, I'm wondering if you can damage your eyes by rolling them too much. (Can you?)

Bella is truly annoying. She's believable, but only because I was a high school female and I unfortunately think many thought that way. Gag! [Smile]

Edward is unbelievable and annoying. I'm trying to figure out what's romantic about a guy who wants to eat you and who is cold. The author uses the word cold many times...cold hands, cold lips, cold breath...personally, I like warm men. With a pulse. I find the romance disgusting.

Plus, the part of the book I just finished reading was a huge dialog-exchange info dump in which Bella and Edward play twenty questions and I have to listen to the scripted, sometimes melodramatic answers. Many of which describe how Edward is a sharp shock away from killing Bella.

I'll finish the book but only because my book club is reading it, which is the only reason I picked it up in the first place. I don't see what the hype is about.

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
quote:
[QUOTE] If you females really think and act the ways Bella does, then I was way off in my theory of females being just complex; you’re exceedingly multifarious.
Ajkdgfjksdsdfsdgf! Please let me never think the way Bella does, with her inner monologue that gives you the impression that she's mature in someway, but actions that put her about on the intelligence level of a four-week-old kitten.

[Smile] Yep!
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm female. But, I read 3 pages and quit. If a book doesn't at least have a hope of grabbing me in 3 pages, I'm not prone to read on... Unless I'm REALLY desparate, that is.

Oh, and I had a guy in my HS just like katharina describes. Actually 2. One was blond, and one was darker. Both were of EXCEEDING hotness and were good at everything and kind to everyone (who made it into their circle anyway) and strong and good and totally Not In My League.

Yeah.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Surf God was always student council president, in honors classes, and played the guitar and wrote his own songs. And was nice to me. When he noticed me and I would stand still. And he was very, very Funny, although admittedly I was an unbiased judge of that.

Definitely Not In My League. I thought, at least. Now I wonder.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here was my experience. We had a guy like that and every single girl wanted him. By my junior year and through a series of strange, unforeseeable events we were pals and I was alone with him for long stretches of time. Like, at night. Sometimes at the beach. I never felt a thing, except surprise that I had ended up in a situation that those girls would have killed for, and that meant nothing romantic to me at all. Disappointing, really.

Now, I'm not saying I don't like nice guys, I guess I'm just saying I like the diamond in the rough type. The guy who's too shy to get noticed by most girls.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
I can because I knew people just like them when I was in high school.
Who did you know in high school like Edward? Keep in mind that he literally twinkles, he's so dreamy.
LOL
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
Now, I'm not saying I don't like nice guys, I guess I'm just saying I like the diamond in the rough type. The guy who's too shy to get noticed by most girls.

Yes! My efforts to be a kind, intelligent and interesting man, yet remain in the shadows beneath dark locks of hair have not been in vain [Wink]
Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
She wasn't talking about you.

Sorry.

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

The fact that you posted at all probably dis-qualifies you. Sorry. [Big Grin]
Saephon
Member # 9623

Hahaha, oh I already knew that [Big Grin] I just figured there must be others out there...maybe.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Look for the ones who can't keep their mouths shut.
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Presences:

He is the epitome of what I wish I was back in high school; he’s everything a heterosexual male wants females to see themselves as (at lease at that age).

No, i have fun without abusive relationships and emotional problems.... and i swear to god if i was ever a vampire that sparkled i would kill myself.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding. Meyer managed to write a vampire novel that actually repels Goths. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

What is up with the sparkling? Is that supposed to be attractive. I just found it weird and utterly unbelievable.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
What is up with the sparkling? Is that supposed to be attractive. I just found it weird and utterly unbelievable.

Whats up with vampires not dieing in the light? I refuse to respect the book on that principle alone.... although i caould go deeper.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Because that's not realistic?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xann.:
quote:

Whats up with vampires not dieing in the light? I refuse to respect the book on that principle alone.... although i caould go deeper.
dracula never died because of the light. Anne Rce's vmpires gor what might be said as a burning rash but they never "died" because f the light. I believe the same was true in King's vampires although its been a while since ive read king/rice.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Anne Rce's vmpires gor what might be said as a burning rash but they never "died" because f the light."

I can't believe I'm actually this big of an Anne Rice dork, but here goes. It's actually very complicated with Rice's vampire mythology. Younger/weaker vamps would be dead in just a few seconds in direct sunlight. OTOH, the "ancient ones" just got a tan after a full day in the sun. Not only that, but whenever the "ancient ones" were exposed to sun, it caused all the other vampires to suffer effects similar to they themselves being exposed.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first book. There was mystery, suspense, interesting conflicts from the personal to the social, and a rather "Roswell" feel to the character interactions. I also like vampires, so it didn't bother me she changed the mythology much. This isn't the first time the nature of the brood has been changed.

What I didn't like was the overpowering romance. Her descriptions of this strong, glowing, statue of a man was disgusting and repetative. By the way, those who have critisized her for this seem to have never read a harliquin type romance book. The only difference between them and this is a vampire and actual plot. Then again, I have seen an uptake of vampire romance novels for adults after this came out. I don't think I will compare them any time soon.

I tried reading the second book, but much of the appeal of the first had evaperated. Where the first book had romance as a shared or secondary trait to other events, it seemed the romance took center stage. Adding Jacob to the mix completely destroyed any chance there would be anything of interest to continue reading. I don't read romances (save it be for the experimental ones that I could compare this with), because they are all the same.

I think that her first book should go down in history as a classic YA novel. The imagination and pure energy was a thrilling ride. Frankly, I think (at least with the first book. Not with any of the others) the book brings up great discussions of love, idealization, family dynamics, flirting with danger, and even plot development. I consider the first book complete and well worth reading. The others I consider contractural obligations mixed with fantasy fulfilment of the author and those who share her emotional needs.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Presences
Member # 8492

Occasional and everyone else,

Thanks for the thoughtful and insightful responses. I’ll probably finish the first book, and then try the second just out of curiosity.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
By the way, those who have critisized her for this seem to have never read a harliquin type romance book. The only difference between them and this is a vampire and actual plot.

Well, Harlequin novels from 20-30 years ago, perhaps. But the market has changed dramatically since those days, and the product has followed.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Presences:
Occasional and everyone else,

Thanks for the thoughtful and insightful responses. I’ll probably finish the first book, and then try the second just out of curiosity.

OK, But I think the 3rd one is the best.
The second has more angst in it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
I liked the first book. There was mystery, suspense, interesting conflicts from the personal to the social,

Actually, I'm still struggling through tis book (about 1/4 left) and I'm not sure why I'm supposed to keep reading. Most of the middle of the book has been a huge dialog-driven info dump where Bella asks a ton of questions and gets answers straight out of the author's notes. There is no mystery whatsoever. She and Edward are already mostly together, so the romance element is over. There was some brief mention of Bella maybe being marked to die but it hasn't been fluid or consistent and I frankly don't care.

quote:
and a rather "Roswell" feel to the character interactions.
Oh no! I loved Roswell! It was wonderful and romantic and sexy. Max was warm, caring, had a pulse, and didn't want to eat Liz. You know, the little things...

quote:
I also like vampires, so it didn't bother me she changed the mythology much. This isn't the first time the nature of the brood has been changed.
I didn't have a particular problem with the vampires being slightly different from other vampires. Every author changes the mythology subtly and that's pretty standard. I still wasn't keen on the sparkling thing, though.

quote:
What I didn't like was the overpowering romance. Her descriptions of this strong, glowing, statue of a man was disgusting and repetative.
Yeah, but the trouble is that there doesn't seem to be much else in the book. There's this and the dialog-based info dump. The beginning was good but I'm not sure I'm going to get to the end.

quote:
By the way, those who have critisized her for this seem to have never read a harliquin type romance book. The only difference between them and this is a vampire and actual plot.
I have read Harlequin romance and hate it. I like some more mainstream romance. The difference of the man being a vampire is HUGE, though, IMO. While I get the attraction of a man with a dark side, the whole dead and wanting to eat me thing just doesn't work. Also, I have never found it remotely romantic when a man demonstrates just how easily he could kill a woman, as Edward did in the forest clearing. I get that he's strong and could overpower her, but those facts needed to have stayed in the background. By shoving them in her face, it seemed very abusive to me. In fact, in the novel I read before this there was a scene, meant to be disturbing rather than romantic, in which a boyfriend holds his hands around his girlfriend's neck and tells her that he could strangle her to death.

quote:
I think that her first book should go down in history as a classic YA novel. The imagination and pure energy was a thrilling ride. Frankly, I think (at least with the first book. Not with any of the others) the book brings up great discussions of love, idealization, family dynamics, flirting with danger, and even plot development. I consider the first book complete and well worth reading. The others I consider contractural obligations mixed with fantasy fulfilment of the author and those who share her emotional needs.
I doubt that this will be anything more than a fad, but then I disagree with just about everything you say here. Time will tell, I suppose. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Max was warm, caring, had a pulse, and didn't want to eat Liz. You know, the little things...

[ROFL]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the Twilight books were a lot like Harry Potter—you know it’s light and not very intelligent, but it keeps you turning the pages. I read all of them and enjoyed them for what they were, and held my belief in suspension as well as my annoyance about the plot holes and the cheesiness.

I’m happier to see another BYU grad getting published than I am to see another series about vampires. I don’t think I would have bothered with the books if Meyer hadn’t graduated from BYU. They would not have been on my radar otherwise.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter may not be the next "Crime and Punishment" but its certainly more intelligent than "Twilight." Rowling created a whole magical universe and filled it with likable, relatable characters. Ron Weasley has more personality than the entire "Twilight" cast rolled together.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I’m happier to see another BYU grad getting published than I am to see another series about vampires. I don’t think I would have bothered with the books if Meyer hadn’t graduated from BYU. They would not have been on my radar otherwise.
Would you be happy to see ANY book by a BYU grad get published? If so, visiting Deseret Book must be really fun for you.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Max was warm, caring, had a pulse, and didn't want to eat Liz. You know, the little things...

[ROFL]
Yeah but Max had the exact same expression on his face throughout all three seasons. His tone of voice also remained unchanged, it got really obnoxious after awhile.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the first 2, read a little bit of the 3rd book, then skipped most of it to get to the last book. BTW, I am male.

I got so tired of the romantic repetition that I just kept wanting Bella to get bit and turn into a vampire already, just so the plot could be different.

I don't mind romance at all. Heck, I am a family therapist that works with families and their teenage daughters, so I am not a male that gets turned off my romantic stories. Nevertheless, this was over the top for me. I expected the books to be the typical YA romance story for teenage girls, plus vampire stuff, but what got me was how ultra repetitive it was. I found myself starting to have the urge to scratch my eyes out if Bella mentioned certain things again, such as:

--Edward looks like an angel!
--Edward's body looked sculpted from marble (sigh)
--The very sight of Edward distracted everything else from existence in my mind.
--Edward was so perfect.
--Did I mention Edward was flawless?
--Edward's voice was music from the gods

Then, the other thing that really bugged me was how pathetic Bella's drive in life was. Maybe it's the therapist in me that works with many depressed teenage girls, but Bella, outside of Edward, is completely unmotivated. She is barely interested in her friends, she has little relationship with her father, she has no interest in actually DOING anything (well, except for looking at Edward), she has no hobbies, no interests, and her will to live is tenuous at best. Bella is am unhappy character, and the only two things that seem to interest her are: Edward and Death.

I find it hard to care about the love story between Bella and Edward when Bella, without Edward, is a very uninteresting character. I was never convinced that there was any actual reason for the two to be attracted to each other, except that Edward liked the smell of Bella, and Bella was entranced by Edward's supernatural qualities. Take those two things away, and what did they actually like about each other. Throughout all 4 books, the author virtually never mentions what the two characters actually see in each other, outside the superficial stuff (okay, I can't completely claim that, since I did skip most of book 3).

The whole series would have been better if it had been condensed into about 2 books and if the author had put more development into some additional reasons for Bella and Edward to love each other. I know, I know, this is a book for teenagers, and they love the purely emotional lure of it all, but I am sure they would have enjoyed a little more genuine relationship-building, without taking away from the teenage-crush aspect.

Overall, I enjoyed the books at times, but I found myself having to force myself to pick them up again at other times, just because I wanted to see what the conclusion would be.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah but Max had the exact same expression on his face throughout all three seasons. His tone of voice also remained unchanged, it got really obnoxious after awhile.
We totally did not watch the same show! Max was a LITTLE undemonstrative for my taste but he totally had a wide range of emotions, which were acted out throughout the series (although sometimes the motivations were not ones I agreed were realistic, that was not what you seem to have a beef with. And besides, it's a show about freakin' ALIENS, so...)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Marlozhan: I agree on each and every word you wrote.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
Is there a reason you put quotes around male? [Confused]

I was wondering that as well.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.