FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The “Male” gender's perspective of Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The “Male” gender's perspective of Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Yeah but Max had the exact same expression on his face throughout all three seasons. His tone of voice also remained unchanged, it got really obnoxious after awhile.
We totally did not watch the same show! Max was a LITTLE undemonstrative for my taste but he totally had a wide range of emotions, which were acted out throughout the series (although sometimes the motivations were not ones I agreed were realistic, that was not what you seem to have a beef with. And besides, it's a show about freakin' ALIENS, so...)
It still galls me Roswell got three season but Firefly couldn't even muster one.

But you'll have to talk to Tiffany about Max, she thinks he's dreamy too.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
It read to me like some girl's vampire fanfiction fantasy. The author seemed to repeat things every other paragraph, constantly telling me what the character was feeling and not showing me. I feared my eyes would fall out of my head due to excessive rolling. Bella was flaky, annoying, dull, and mostly unbeleivable. My knowledge of the series is only the first book, so I can only hope it has improved with it's sequels. As far as likes, I actually found the rest of the Cullen family interesting. Mrs.Meyer, If you could, please rewrite the story excluding Bella and making the story entirely about the Cullens. Thank you.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I have read all 3 books. I liked them quite a bit and read them each in just a couple of days. I didn't really like Edward too much until the third book. I connected more with Jacob than Edward.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Harry Potter may not be the next "Crime and Punishment" but its certainly more intelligent than "Twilight." Rowling created a whole magical universe and filled it with likable, relatable characters. Ron Weasley has more personality than the entire "Twilight" cast rolled together.
Harry Potter was bigger-budget than Twilight in terms of spectacle, but I thought the intelligence level and the problem resolution was about the same. And I still see a tall Ron Weasley whenever I picture Jacob. I don't know why that is, but the roles seem somewhat similar to me in a strange way.

quote:
I’m happier to see another BYU grad getting published than I am to see another series about vampires. I don’t think I would have bothered with the books if Meyer hadn’t graduated from BYU. They would not have been on my radar otherwise.

quote:
Would you be happy to see ANY book by a BYU grad get published? If so, visiting Deseret Book must be really fun for you.

You're saying this Deseret Book is a place where I can find books by BYU grads? Flippin' cool!

I get more excited when people I was contemporary with—including some I knew personally—making their names known internationally, not just in the Deseret Book BYU Grads section. It gives me a momentary surge of energy to get my own novel done.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
Is there a reason you put quotes around male? [Confused]

I was wondering that as well.
I've been assuming that the implication is that Real Men™ couldn't possibly like Twilight -- any more than they like quiche.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That's just because quiche is disgusting, not because it's girly.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You haven't tasted my quiche.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I fully expect that I would like Rivka's quiche.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'll try to remember to invite you the next time I make some.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Yum. [Smile]
Presences
Member # 8492

- posted      Profile for Presences           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is there a reason you put quotes around male?
It’s very simple. I use punctuation very poorly.
Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
A new use of quotation marks has been to use them to emphasize certain words. This is especially true in situations where formatting isn't possible, like topic titles. I imagine what was originally or subconsciously intended was italics, for emphasis, but you can't do that there.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is there a reason you put quotes around male?

It’s very simple. I use punctuation very poorly.

Dang. There goes my transgendered guess.

Kat: I like using asterisks. The *Male* Perspective.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Yeah but Max had the exact same expression on his face throughout all three seasons. His tone of voice also remained unchanged, it got really obnoxious after awhile.
We totally did not watch the same show! Max was a LITTLE undemonstrative for my taste but he totally had a wide range of emotions, which were acted out throughout the series (although sometimes the motivations were not ones I agreed were realistic, that was not what you seem to have a beef with. And besides, it's a show about freakin' ALIENS, so...)
It still galls me Roswell got three season but Firefly couldn't even muster one.

But you'll have to talk to Tiffany about Max, she thinks he's dreamy too.

Well, I tried 3 times and couldn't get past the pilot of Firefly so I'm not seeing the issue. I am, however, galled that Roswell only got three seasons and that they were under constant thread of being shut down in seasons 2 and 3 so that it wasn't as good as it could have been.

As to Max's expressions...well, he was supposed to be brooding and serious. I actually liked the romance between Michael and Mariah better by the end of the show.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
. . . can we shun Christine?

Seriously, a non-Browncoat?

On the Internet?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*sits in Christine's corner*
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine, I like the pilot for Firefly, but I recognize that it has some flaws. The second episode, The Train Job, was the show's first broadcast episode, and does a good job of introducing the characters and world of the show. If you watch *it* and don't like it, I think that you'd be safe in giving the rest of the show a miss.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, no...if there's a make-or-break episode of Firefly, It's Bushwhacked. If you come out of that one still not liking Firefly, the show just isn't for you, and I've got a baby you can eat standing by*.

*I mean a *jelly* baby. Speaking of which, if you've never seen Dr. Who I highly recommend...

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Presences
Member # 8492

- posted      Profile for Presences           Edit/Delete Post 
katharina, you are correct. I wanted to emphasize, but didn't know how. I still have horrible punctuation skills when it comes down to the technicalities.

I have to admit, even if I could have italicized it, quotations would have been used. I'll be more careful.

Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Sarmup, it's not that I especially like The Train Job (it's not a bad episode, but it's far from the best, in my opinion). It's just that it was written to be an introduction to the characters and world, and does a nice job of it. Honestly, though, I think that Bushwhacked (while good) is my third least favorite episode (my least favorite being The Message and my second least favorite being Safe).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:

Edward is unbelievable and annoying. I'm trying to figure out what's romantic about a guy who wants to eat you and who is cold.

[ROFL]
....you just made me spit Raisinets on my computer.

I started reading Twilight at my old job because I was bored out of my mind. It...it's kind of like reading Animorphs. You'll keep reading it, sure, but you know it's not all that great. But it's still kind of interesting, even if you think the inner monologue is ridiculous and the random Native American stuff thrown in there makes your brain hurt.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda liked the random Native American stuff. At least she did a little homework. I think there was something interesting about tying in the Native American tribe with the...

(spoilers below)
werewolves.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Sarmup, it's not that I especially like The Train Job (it's not a bad episode, but it's far from the best, in my opinion). It's just that it was written to be an introduction to the characters and world, and does a nice job of it. Honestly, though, I think that Bushwhacked (while good) is my third least favorite episode (my least favorite being The Message and my second least favorite being Safe).

I switched that episode name SO many times before I finally decided which one would work for a first-timer. Bushwhacked isn't my favorite, but it's early enough in the series to still have some of those "this is who we are" moments with the characters. It introduces the Alliance and the Reavers pretty well, and the interviews are funny.

As for my favorite episode ever, I have to go with "Out of Gas", but it seemed like an episode where if you didn't already care about the characters, you would probably not be a fan.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

So I just read The Host. I liked it MUCH better than Twilight. It's the kind of book that makes you feel as if you've been living in it. I love the messages that it sends -- of enemies learning to live together, learning to be generous and kind to people you'd never seen as actual people before. Highly recommended. [Smile]

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
Really amusing thread here.

quote:
Originally posted by Saephon:
I guess I just don't like being a single guy trying to get a date when all the girls I know are having their expectations raised to unrealistic levels.

I thought Mr. Darcy was the first to lift expectations to unrealistic levels? [Wink]
Despite being female, Edward does not make me swoon in the least.

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
There was this guy in high school that my best friend and I called Surf God. He was tall, blond, tan, with a smile like David Tennant's. He probably didn't literally glow, but he might as well have.

There's a magic to writing a realistic 17-year-old girl and then handing her the perfect, perfect, perfect guy.

The David Tennant smile would have been enough. [Wink] I think you've got something here; basically there is an Edward in almost every school. I can recall one from my own. *sigh* j/k Just because a there's a guy like Surf God in a school doesn't mean every girl fawns over him.

quote:
Bella is truly annoying. She's believable, but only because I was a high school female and I unfortunately think many thought that way. Gag!

I knew some who thought that way, and even back then I had no patience for them. Silly girls.

quote:
What is up with the sparkling? Is that supposed to be attractive. I just found it weird and utterly unbelievable.

Don't go seeking out stuff like this, but a friend pointed out this HILARIOUS semi-crossover fanfic featuring Thomas from the Dresden Files and, er, Twilight themes.
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Ha! I've seen that one before. I don't know what Dresden Files is, but it was still hilarious.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Amusing, but doesn't quite have the same spark as Dresden does. I think Butcher writing the same scene would make it much funnier. But I did laugh.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Ha! I've seen that one before. I don't know what Dresden Files is, but it was still hilarious.

The Dresden Files
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the middle of the third book. I picked up the series because my neices were all raving about it, and one day when I had gym duty at my elementary school the other two teachers with me were raving about it, so I asked to borrow the first book. I wanted to see what I actually thought about it instead of commenting on it sight-unseen, based only on others' comments. The writing in the first book was extremely amateurish and if a serious editor had gotten ahold of it the book would have been about half as long. The later books have improved immensely, but are still not excellent. The constant repetition was almost too much, but I continued on. I think Marlozhan's comments hit it on the head for me as far as Bella's character goes. Especially in the second book I started thinking that she was in serious need of a therapist and medication. She was suicidally depressed with no connection to anyone for <i> months </i>! She was just starting to emerge from her depression with Jacob in a semi-healthy way when the dang vampires had to show up again. All this did was to move her from suicidal depression to suicidal mania. (I'm not a therapist, so I don't know the right terms, but that's the way it seemed to me.) And her lack of involvement with her classmates, and her extreme negative reactions to parties and gifts were another sign of the need of a therapist. Back in the first book, I was constantly concerned (in a detached way) about here extreme clumsiness. How in the world did a girl make it to her age with that amount of clumsiness without ending up with a million broken bones and burns on her body? And being the family cook? She should have broken dishes and have burnt the house down by now.

Then there's Edward. He's been a vampire for 110 years! That's 110 years of experience. In non-physical terms, he's an old, old man. What possible interest could he have in a self-centered 17 year old girl? I know, her scent is mesmerizing, but once you get past that, what's to keep him there? How boring it must be to spend every night watching a girl sleep. Listening to her talking in her sleep would get old really fast, I would think, since so often sleep talkers are mumblers and it only happens sporatically through the night, so what's to keep the mind occupied through the rest of the time?

And to repeat high school how many times? And college too? Goodness, go get a job, man! BTW, how did the Cullen family get so rich if the "father" is the only one who works? At least, it appears that none of the others are bringing in any income. Now, I can understand them amassing wealth over time, but if only one ever works, and with the tremendous expenses they have, the balance sheet has to go into the negative some time! Then, add in Edward's coldness and marble hardness and I'll take Jacob's warmth any time!

I still don't know what my co-teachers and neices are all excited about, but at least I'll be knowledgeable about it and able to have an intelligent conversation about it with them. [Smile]

Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
"Edward smirked - another one of his perfect, crooked smiles through perfectly straight teeth - and ran a hand through his perfect hair. I gazed with longing into his perfect, brooding eyes. He belched, and that, too, was perfect."
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Sala, that's my biggest problem with Edward, among the many.

Why are the gorgeous, haunted vampire lovers always such losers?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to be haunted AND immortal without being a loser.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.