FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PETA and Breast Milk Ice Cream (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: PETA and Breast Milk Ice Cream
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, just as I'm trying to back off Hatrack, this story comes out. Apparently, PETA has asked Ben & Jerry's to replace cow milk with human milk in their ice cream.

My first thought was... ew, then what would they name the flavor... Boobie Fruity (let me know if that is bad and I will edit it out, but I would say that in Mr. Cards living room)?

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Ewww. Stupid PETA.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't have a separate topic, but it has gotten some discussion.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:
My first thought was... ew, then what would they name the flavor...

Probably either "Oh, the Humanity" or "Hello, Nurse!"

[Edited to note that this makes post #555. I feel good about that.]

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I find it odd that we actually prefer to drink milk from a completely different species, several species in fact if we consider other kinds of milk, but that we find it gross to drink human milk.

Technically, many of us did drink human milk at one point anyways ...

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah it is funny that drinking milk from a cow seems natural and good and wholesome but drinking human milk sounds disgusting. =)
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Personally, I find it odd that we actually prefer to drink milk from a completely different species, several species in fact if we consider other kinds of milk, but that we find it gross to drink human milk.

Technically, many of us did drink human milk at one point anyways ...

...when we were babies. Most of the things we did when we were babies get left behind. Losing the urge to feed on "mother's milk" is natural.

PETA's letter reminds me of a really creepy article I read back in 1998, written by a woman who saw nothing wrong with breastfeeding her five year old son, who wondered why people thought she was doing something unhealthy.

At one stage, yeah, it's great. But one grows past it... [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Five is a bit... well... But they do that in other countries. Breast feed until at least 4.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Mucus and Tatiana,

I eat beef too, but I don't eat people. I don't know what breast milk tastes like, so I don't know how the ice cream would taste. It may be perfectly fine, but I don't want any.

As far as PETA wanting to use human milk rather than cow milk because of the way cows are treated, what do they think would happen to people. This sounds like an opportunity to exploit the underprivileged. Plus, aren't they vegetarians and vegans? Wouldn't eating ice cream made from human milk be the same as that made from cow milk?

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
So they like cows better than people? Or do they think cows don't want to give up there milk?

On you-tube there are news stories about breastfeeding until i think 10, and i know one of 8.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Five is a bit... well... But they do that in other countries. Breast feed until at least 4.

In other countries they do a lot of stuff.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the problem is we don't think of using fellow humans for food.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know what breast milk tastes like, so I don't know how the ice cream would taste.
Naturally sweeter than cow milk, often with a kind of fruity aftertaste (like after you eat a honeydew or canteloupe, that kind of aftertaste.)

And the flavor can vary with what you eat before the milk is produced.

For the record, I do not want to drink another woman's breastmilk, thank you very much, but I have licked it off my hand and then scrubbed my hand with a baby wipe plenty of times when I did not want to get up to wash them off... I'm lazy that way.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:

In other countries they do a lot of stuff.
But some of it kind of makes sense... Like weening after six months and baby wearing.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Those things make breastfeeding past infancy and into childhood make sense? [Confused]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Weaning after six months? Who does that?

Most countries that are traditional bastions of baby-wearing are also extended breastfeeding countries.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
I don't know what breast milk tastes like, so I don't know how the ice cream would taste.
Naturally sweeter than cow milk, often with a kind of fruity aftertaste (like after you eat a honeydew or canteloupe, that kind of aftertaste.)

And the flavor can vary with what you eat before the milk is produced.

For the record, I do not want to drink another woman's breastmilk, thank you very much, but I have licked it off my hand and then scrubbed my hand with a baby wipe plenty of times when I did not want to get up to wash them off... I'm lazy that way.

So if they fed the hypothetical women chocolate it would taste like chocolate?
Or if they fed them on a strict diet of vanilla and sugar?

That is just making me picture a futuristic nightmare movie full of women attached to milkers... getting stuffed with chocolate. [Eek!]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ha, not quite. Chocolate imparts a bitter-sweet flavor when consumed in large amounts (at least in my case!)

Spicy food gives it a spicy kick when in large enough quantities, etc.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Weaning after six months? Who does that?

Most countries that are traditional bastions of baby-wearing are also extended breastfeeding countries.

Some seem to ween at 2 or when the kid is ready. (AP people on a site I'm on)
I think I've read some books that advice starting solid foods at 6 months or something.
But five is a bit... long. I saw some show where the kid was like, 6 or 7 or something. And he could make his own food.

Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Puts a whole new meaning to Dairy Queen now, don't it.

Or "Milk Maid" for that matter.

Come to think of it, how would that look on your resume--2008-2009 Dairy Substitute.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Ha, not quite. Chocolate imparts a bitter-sweet flavor when consumed in large amounts (at least in my case!)

Spicy food gives it a spicy kick when in large enough quantities, etc.

Ew. not sure if I'd want spice to my ice cream.

Perhaps there's a way to be kind to cows and still have yummy chocolate fudge brownie ice cream which is what this topic is making me want

that and Cherry Garcia with the sugary texture I love that the rest of the world hates.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those things make breastfeeding past infancy and into childhood make sense? [Confused]

Depending on how you define "infancy," this is pretty common. The American Association of Pediatrics reccommends nursing until at least one year old, and the World Health Organization reccommends at least age 2. My just-turned-two year old still nurses 2-3 times a day and I don't see that stopping anytime soon.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh. I see.

Starting solids is not the same thing as weaning, in most cases. [Smile]

Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the issue with saying, "Hey, most of us have already done it!" is that most of us have already ingested secretions from our OWN MOTHERS--not some random person. Since, when we were doing the drinking, it was not that long since we had lived inside of the person now doing the lactating, we didn't really have room to get weird about it. As adults, though, it becomes more of an issue. I know that there are just as many sanitary issues with cow milk, but I think that the different-species thing is an important part of us feeling safe. I guess because the people milking cows are professionals, and the people we generally seeing milking women have no motor skills and smell like vomit.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Oh, and FYI-- to "ween" is to suppose or imagine. To "wean" is to discontinue something, as breastfeeding, usually gradually. [Smile] )
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xann.:
So they like cows better than people?

Of course. That's practically their motto.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Hank:
Since, when we were doing the drinking, it was not that long since we had lived inside of the person now doing the lactating, we didn't really have room to get weird about it. As adults, though, it becomes more of an issue. I know that there are just as many sanitary issues with cow milk, but I think that the different-species thing is an important part of us feeling safe. I guess because the people milking cows are professionals, and the people we generally seeing milking women have no motor skills and smell like vomit.

[ROFL]
dkw
Member # 3264

quote:
I guess because the people milking cows are professionals, and the people we generally seeing milking women have no motor skills and smell like vomit.
Yeah, but lactating women don't spend all day walking around in their own poop.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if they can ask for it, you know they are too old.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I actually don't think this was a serious proposal anyway -- it's an attention grabber and a way to make a point about "stealing" milk from baby cows.

And I wouldn't want to consume milk from an unknown donor or subject women to the kind of controls that would be necessary to insure a healthy milk supply.

And if it were possible to "harvest" large quantities of human milk I think it would be better used to feed babies whose mothers can't or won't breastfeed them, not to make ice cream.

Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
PETA is trying to get a rise out of people. Apparently, it's working. [Smile]

Breast milk is sweeter than cow's milk, so given America's sweet tooth they'd probably actually like the breast milk ice cream -- so long as no one told them what was in it. [Smile]

I've tasted my own breast milk and can't honestly say that I like it, but I am rather used to cow's milk. I gave some to my 2.5-year-old (weaned him at 1.5 so one year later) and he kind of made a face. Guess he got used to the cow's milk already, too.

quote:

I try not to be judgmental of how long other people nurse. It's a personal decision and there are only 2 relevant players: mom and baby. As long as mom isn't forcing baby to nurse then I don't see the problem with nursing a 5-year-old. It actually takes years for the human immune system to mature and breast milk continues to provide antibodies that can help. The World Health Organization recommends at least 2 years of breast feeding.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:

Um, no.

My oldest daughter signed for it at 2 months, and asked for it verbally at 5 months.

My current baby daughter is 5 months and has been signing for it for about a month now.

I draw the line at "when they are old enough they will have clear memories of it as adults," but that's a personal line which I do not seek to impose on others.

dkw
Member # 3264

quote:

Because my son is an early developer verbally I should wean him? Not a chance.
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

What does walking and talking have to do with nursing? There is no medical, emotional, or biological rationale for this perspective. My 4-month-old is already signing for her milk. I guess it's time to quit!
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh PETA, you've turned us against one another.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess you guys never saw The Last Emperor

My wife breast fed our kids until they were about three.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Most of the things we did when we were babies get left behind.

As a baby, I breathed, cried, laughed, had my cells divide and multiply ... still do all of those at one point or another.

I believe what you mean is that many of the things that babies do *that adults don't do* get left behind, but in a way thats approaching circular as an actual reason to not do them as an adult.

quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:
... This sounds like an opportunity to exploit the underprivileged.

You can hire midwives to breastfeed babies, does that count as exploitation too? Interesting.

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
quote:
I guess because the people milking cows are professionals, and the people we generally seeing milking women have no motor skills and smell like vomit.
Yeah, but lactating women don't spend all day walking around in their own poop.
Plus, they can actually choose to milk themselves if thats any better, whereas the cows don't get a choice.

On second thought, I honestly have no idea if thats a good argument or a bad argument to convince people. [Dont Know]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I think the term is "wet nurse". Midwives deliver the babies and wet nurses nurse them, I think.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

I accept your correction, I think you're right.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Indeed.

And doulas provide labor and/or postpartum support. Often including breastfeeding support and instruction for first-time moms.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Indeed.

And doulas provide labor and/or postpartum support. Often including breastfeeding support and instruction for first-time moms.

Neet. I hope I can get one of those when I have a baby.
Xann.
Member # 11482

Well either way, it's not going to happen. Were a long way off for a giant company to start making breast milk ice cream because a grop asked them extra nice.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xann.:
Well either way, it's not going to happen. Were a long way off for a giant company to start making breast milk ice cream because a grop asked them extra nice.

Heh heh. Grop.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
There are so many babies whose mothers can't nurse that desperately need any donated breastmilk that I can't imagine ever using it to make ice cream. One of Aerin's NICU neighbors got breastmilk from a milk bank because his mother was on chemo and couldn't nurse him herself. That is who needs any spare breastmilk. It's not easy to get for critically ill babies, so I can't imagine giving (or selling) any to those who don't need it. This is a very precious and limited commodity and to suggest using it for commercial purposes, rather than to help sick children, is awful. I'm sure this is a publicity stunt, but it's pretty sickening.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

A thought occurs, inspired by those kosher food threads that seem to proliferate here.

Is human milk kosher?
Is it a recursive thing? (i.e. If "you are what you eat" and you keep kosher, is your breast milk kosher?)

Xann.
Member # 11482

Thats not fair! i can't go back and pretend like i can type now that you quoted me.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mucus, I think rivka answered that already.

Ah, it was in the other thread.

quote:
I have no problem with drinking breast milk in theory. But given that any "donor" might be sick, a smoker, etc., I think I'll pass.

Too bad, though. Breast milk is parve (neither meat nor dairy). [Wink]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

So if breast milk were made into cheese, could you use it to make a kosher cheeseburger?
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see, in no particular order... I don't think there's anything inherently gross about adults consuming human breast milk; whatever creepiness you bring to this is your own. On the other hand, I haven't tried it since infancy myself, and don't feel any particular desire to.

PETA is totally trying to get people to think about the comparative ethics involved, rather than really and truly wanting to get Ben & Jerry's to do this, and while I abhor 99.9% of their tactics, this one's actually rather ingenious. And effective, if this thread is any guide. Well done.

And I had to Google to find out whether human breast milk cheese is even chemically possible. Apparently so! (Google translation into English)

[Edited to note that my irony detector isn't tuned finely enough to work on French sites. It just might be a joke.]

[Edited again. Of course it's a hoax. Ah well. Part of me wanted to believe this existed.]

[Edited one last time to note that while this might be a publicity stunt, apparently a Swiss restaurant really and truly is trying to put dishes made with human milk on the menu (note: contains SFW breastfeeding photo), but is running into legal trouble. ]

[ September 25, 2008, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Shmuel ]

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see animals and humans as on par with each other, so I would have no problem wearing a fur to a PETA meeting while eating ice cream, and then breaking out a burger.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.