FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PETA and Breast Milk Ice Cream (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: PETA and Breast Milk Ice Cream
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I've thought about making breastmilk yogurt seriously enough to look up the recipe online. It seems pretty easy. I'm exasperated with the impossibility of finding organic full fat yogurt without sugar and a whole buncha other crap in it. (For those wondering, the yogurt would be for the baby. I've tasted my own breastmilk so I'm not squicked out by it...but it's hard work to pump. Lots easier to buy MY food at the grocery store!)
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You can also make ice cream by mixing the ingredients well, putting them in a sheet pan in the freezer, and after it is frozen, mostly, you take a hand blender to it or whip it in the mixer, then re-freeze. You have to do it a few times to get the right texture but it turns out quite edible. Our ice cream maker broke one year at the height of plum season and we really wanted plum ice cream, we just did it that way and it worked well!

You can also try Freecycle, your local thrift store, and yard sales. It shouldn't be more than $10 if you get it at a yard sale or thrift store.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, can you get Nancy's yogurt where you are?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't Trader Joe's also send organic whole milk yogurt without sugar?

I thought there was one more, too, that you can get in the regular grocery store, but I'm blanking on the name.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'm thinking of TJ's Greek gods yogurt.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Why did I write send? I meant have.

That's what I get for typing while watching NCIS. [Blushing]

romanylass
Member # 6306

LOL.
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
That day really made me sure I don't want to teach kindergarten, it's all lines, snot and tying shoes.

{hijack}
My 6yo was talking about being a teacher when he grows up. At first he wanted to teach 1st grade then he said "No, Wait. I want to teach 2nd grade - they don't pick their noses!" [ROFL] {/hijack}

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
When PETA compared chicken-raising methods to the Holocaust, I lost any remaining respect for them or interest in what they might have to say. It's pretty much on the level of monkeys throwing poo, now.

I think UN health standards recommends breast feeding until age 2?...

Also, not sure about diseases passing from mother to child (or other recipient) through nursing. On one hand, the cross-species thing sounds weird; on the other, it's a kind of protection.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

No to Nancy's yogurt--at least not in our regular grocery stores. And the nearest TJs is...pretty far. I'm going to try the farmer's market tomorrow...I know there's a lady who has yogurt, but she's often sold out by the time I get there.

I'm also going to try our local health food store. Or I may give up and just do YoBaby.

iirc, the WHO recommends breastfeeding until at least age 2. I fully intend to continue until at least then.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Stonyfield Farms does make a plain whole milk yogurt, not sure if it has sugar though.

One I did find in our local store and was able to read the ingredients on was Brown Cow. You might check for that one.

I'm sure there's another one but I can't remember the name...

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If you really can't find it in-store, here is a site that will deliver. They have Strauss plain organic whole milk yogurt, just cultured milk. Delivery is $25 + $1.25/lb., though, and if you want Saturday delivery it's an extra $10. So that would be a last resort (although you could stock up since yogurt keeps unopened for about forever in the fridge...)
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Yogurt is ridiculously easy to make. Mine has tended to turn out a little runnier than comercial yogurt, but I think a lot of commercial brands use geletin to make it firmer.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

To go back to the original topic, I just read Ben and Jerry's response to the suggestion and loved it:

quote:
Ben & Jerry's spokeswoman Liz Brenna says that while the company applauds PETA's novel approach to bring attention to this issue, the company believes a human mother's milk is best used for her child.

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
A rather gracious way of saying "Kindly stop trying to use our reputation as a sounding board for your nonsense."

Liz- right, WHO, not UN. Mind-muddle. Thanks.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

I got some at the farmer's market today...not certified organic, but they use organic practices. So thanks everyone, and yay!
romanylass
Member # 6306

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
To go back to the original topic, I just read Ben and Jerry's response to the suggestion and loved it:

quote:
Ben & Jerry's spokeswoman Liz Brenna says that while the company applauds PETA's novel approach to bring attention to this issue, the company believes a human mother's milk is best used for her child.

Love it.
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
I now have a recurring mental image of women hooked up to milking machines and being fed chocolate.

If I told most of my friends about that, I'm guessing at least 30% of them would mistake the human dairy's offer of payment as the entrance fee. [Smile] Especially if they're being force-fed Godiva.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sachiko:
I now have a recurring mental image of women hooked up to milking machines and being fed chocolate.

If I told most of my friends about that, I'm guessing at least 30% of them would mistake the human dairy's offer of payment as the entrance fee. [Smile] Especially if they're being force-fed Godiva.

I have that image too -- sometimes when I open my eyes it's true. I hate pumping, but I do love chocolate. :=)
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, the chocolate would BE the payment.

"And all I have to do is pump milk? Really? Pass the ganache."

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.