FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » General Election Day Coverage & Discussion (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: General Election Day Coverage & Discussion
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
"My Beloved"

Whenever I hear the word 'beloved' the image of Sethe killing her daughter with a saw comes to mind.

Stupid book!

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you mean "Beloved".
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
Starbucks at least has changed it to a free coffee (brewed only) for everyone, because it's been pointed out that it's illegal to offer gifts as incentive for voting.

Duh! Yeah, I'm hearing now that these places are just giving away freebies. I think I'm going out for ice cream tonight! [Smile]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
I was quoting Olivet in saying "My Beloved". Sorry for the confusion.
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivet -

I just saw a thing on CNN. There was a text message apparently sent out to thousands of Obama supporters in multiple states that told them due to long lines, they were being asked to vote on Wednesday instead. I hope no one would fall for that, but sheesh.

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
We had nearly two dozen voting stands at our polling place, in Troy, Michigan. Actually, they set up four more cardboard dividers on round tables with chairs, so I got to sit down while I filled out my ballot. We use basically a black magic marker to fill in an oval by the selected name on the cardboard ballot. Then all the ballots are fed into one optical scanner. It is fast and cheap, and has worked well for us for the six years or so we have been using it. A technician stands right there watching the readout to make sure each ballot was fed in and processed properly. The ballots remain stacked inside the machine, until emptied. So there is a paper trail.

Two precincts share our polling place, and the line for our precinct was much shorter. It was hard not to gloat while we passed by the long line for the other precinct.

I didn't realize you lived so close! Do you ever eat at Champps on Big Beaver?

I like the optical scan ballots personally. They have a paper trail and they are quick and easy to use. My brother caused a backup this morning when he accidentally filled in three bubbles when you were only supposed to pick two candidates. The machine buzzed and spit his ballot back out. It was very amusing. [Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
Your link is addressed to http://http//

She's trolling.
With that? Wow, her game is really off today.
<shrug> I'm not feeling well.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the things they put before me, and explained why some of them were spurious, some seemed like coded messages meant to play on racial fears, and others were absolute worst-case scenarios of the future in an Obama presidency.

Then I smiled and said I refused to cast a vote from a place of fear. I didn't do it in the last election, or the one before that, or the one before that, and gosh darn it, I'm not starting now.

I'd rather vote from a position of hope, even if it turns out to be a misplaced hope.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I neeeed ressuuuuuuuuulllts!
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Obama is winning in Indiana but losing in KY. Hows that? Oh and somehow, Obama is leading in Maine, 2-1. I have no idea how that is possible.

Edited: Nevermind, he is now losing in Indiana.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
First blood.

McCain projected to win Kentucky for 8.

Obama projected to win Vermont for 3.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(I apologize if someone already posted this. I don't have time to catch up on this thread right now, but this was too beautiful not to share, regardless of which candidate you support. It's from an email I just received, and originally from TPM.)
quote:
My polling place is at the fairgrounds in Southern Maryland, about 40 minutes from Washington, D.C. This used to be tobacco country, but is slowly being developed, or other crops are grown. We waited until 10:00 to vote, to avoid the lines. When we got there a 97-year-old Black man was being wheeled out of the polls in his wheelchair. It was the first time he had ever voted in his life. When he came outside he asked if anyone could give him an Obama button. There were none left at the Democrat's booth so I gave him mine. He was so proud and I started crying. He looked at me and said, "why are you crying? this is a day for glory." I am still crying.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, I saw that on TPM, it was inspiring.

TPM also had a link to an Obama clip from last night in Manassas, VA: YouTube - Obama: "Fired Up? Ready To Go!"

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
NBC is calling South Carolina for McCain...
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Wow, MSNBC just called most of the NE for Obama.

Including Pennsylvania!!

edit at 8:30: ABC calls Penn too. CBS, Fox and CNN haven't yet, I think.

8:44: Now CNN is calling Penn Obama.

[ November 04, 2008, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or does all of this early "calling" by the major news sources before any or most actual numbers come in actually take some of the fun out of election night?
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm always a bit baffled when they call a state with 0% of the vote in.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

What, Godric, you want to wait for the dusty deliberations of the Electoral College? [Wink]
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

Heh... CNN has Maine for Obama. Current actual vote count: Obama 2, McCain 1.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It's all exit polls Strider. Most places will call a state if the exit polls show one person dramatically ahead of the other. If it's within 5-10 points they'll wait for some results to come in before they call it one way or the other.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

Morbo, no, I just wish they'd wait 'til I got home from work... It's like missing the first 3 innings of Game 7 of the World Series.
Morbo
Member # 5309

Also they use key bellwether districts in key counties to call states. So if you can call a few of those districts, and your voting statistical model is good, you can predict the whole state.
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

Well, I'm going home... Here's my prediction: I'll have more fun and probably gain as much insight into today's election catching up with this thread in the morning than I will watching the coverage tonight.

Happy election evening!

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.... 100,000 votes difference, can Obama catch up? MSNBC has it as "Too Close to call" but quite the difference... /insecure.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Big precincts like cities, where Obama is strong, take the longest to count and therefore report last. So early Republican leads, even if large, can be caught up. Hence TCTC.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

In Kentucky, Democratic challenger Bruce Lunsford is running neck and neck with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell with 50% of the precincts reporting. KY, GA and MS were the longshot states where the Democrats were hoping to get a ninth seat and win a supermajority, but everyone assumed that Georgia would be the best place for a pickup (especially given how AWFUL a candidate Lunsford is).

And Obama just got Pennsylvania called for him. As far as I can tell, that's the ballgame for McCain. Obama is going to win every other Kerry state plus IA, NM and CO. I think that's it. McCain NEEDED Pennsylvania. Any other pathway to victory is exotic and EXTREMELY unlikely.

Morbo
Member # 5309

Which state Blayne?

Keith Olbermann is really being dissed tonight. MSNBC is ignoring him.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

VA Virginia.

I don't think their ignoring Olbermann, they're all ignoring each other.

Morbo
Member # 5309

Blech, MSNBC put on that hack Delay. Time for a snack break.

Delay said Dems would double the minimum wage in 6 mos. [Roll Eyes] What a liar.

Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Hmm.... 100,000 votes difference, can Obama catch up? MSNBC has it as "Too Close to call" but quite the difference... /insecure.

Easily.

Northern Virginia has barely started reporting, and I'm pretty sure that Richmond will go Obama and it hasn't started counting at all.

Edit: Well, they hadn't started counting Richmond as I wrote this, but it is closing a lot of the gap. + 40000 to Obama just from that.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

quote:
And Obama just got Pennsylvania called for him. As far as I can tell, that's the ballgame for McCain. Obama is going to win every other Kerry state plus IA, NM and CO. I think that's it. McCain NEEDED Pennsylvania. Any other pathway to victory is exotic and EXTREMELY unlikely.
Agreed. If either Ohio or Florida fall to Obama, both states he is up in, the game is over. They could announce as early as 9ct or 930ct.
Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

MSNBC: Ohio to Obama. edit: CBS calls Ohio too!

WOO-HOO!! [Big Grin]

Humean316
Member # 8175

Barack Obama is the next president of the US. And it looks like it is alot bigger a win than I thought.
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like McConnell will end up winning in Kentucky.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

Fox News now projects Obama wins Ohio.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jh
Member # 7727

- posted      Profile for jh   Email jh         Edit/Delete Post 
Projections are fine, but there is no way I will be 100% confident of the outcome until all votes in all states are counted and any lawsuits brought are settled.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
CNN has New Mexico going for Obama, but they report him having 37% of the vote. (And their exit polls say he has 53% of the male vote, and 58% of the female... I think someone is getting punchy trying to keep up with incoming data.)
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jh:
Projections are fine, but there is no way I will be 100% confident of the outcome until all votes in all states are counted and any lawsuits brought are settled.

QFT. Only 20% of the precincts in Ohio are reporting right now. Let's wait until it hits 100% before we start celebrating, mmkay?
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

Obama is within 7000 votes in Indiana (out of over 2 million cast so far).
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

OBAMA IN THE LEAD OF VIRGINIA!
Threads
Member # 10863

As long as he picks up Washington and California he will win even if he loses all other states that haven't been called so far.
Humean316
Member # 8175

Iowa has gone to Obama, with Kansas and Utah to McCain.

Edited: There are 73 electoral votes in the west from CA, OR, and WA and Obama has won 202 electoral votes already. If he wins those three states in the west, which he is almost surely to win, then he is the president even if he does not win NV, CO, FL, Virginia, NC, Indiana, and MO.

Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

- posted      Profile for Unicorn Feelings   Email Unicorn Feelings         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Obama has California. Just a hunch. Though 0% polls reporting atm. So don't bet the house on it. Maybe just the garage and the backyard + the kitchen.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Obama won Ohio and Florida, it's basically over.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Who has called Florida? I can't find anybody calling it yet.

But yeah, it's over. Florida is not even necessary for Obama at this point.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Apparantly Daily Show will have a live showing with Steven Colbert and Stewart doing a live thing about the election but I can't figure out how to watch it online.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn Feelings:
I think Obama has California. Just a hunch. Though 0% polls reporting atm.

The polls don't even close here for another 30 minutes!

I voted. [Smile] I'm glad I didn't try to deal with that awful line and no-parking-zoo this morning. The line 45 minutes ago was much better.

There was one person in front of me. [Wink] Including parking and walking to and from my car, the whole thing took 15 minutes. Maybe 10.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen anyone call Florida. I'm checking CNN, NBC, BBC, and Fox....
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
NYT has 80% reporting with 50.9% Obama and 48.4% McCain.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

- posted      Profile for Unicorn Feelings   Email Unicorn Feelings         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. NC and Virginia are so close.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Obama has fallen behind in NC, it looks like the only way he can take that is with the rest of Mecklenburg being counted.

(I worry about NC because my guess was 353 to Obama. Another possibility to get my guess is if Obama takes MO, MT, and one electoral vote from Nebraska.)

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.