FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » General Election Day Coverage & Discussion (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: General Election Day Coverage & Discussion
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Wooohooo! Tonight is a good night.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surveyor 2
Member # 347

- posted      Profile for Surveyor 2   Email Surveyor 2         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations from Europe. I think it was a good and wise choice.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Good night!
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, America, we Aussies think you made a good choice.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

I'm excited.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Great speech. Lots of Lincoln and MLK cribbing, which is fine with me.

After the celebration dies down, we'll start hearing in the next three or four days about his cabinet. I think tomorrow we'll hear him announce his Chief of Staff, arguably the most important appointment when it comes to day to day White House operations.

By the end of the week I think it's likely you'll hear him make some sort of announcement on SecTreas as well. SecState and SecDef will come next week. He won't waste any time in announcing the Big 4 (SecState, SecTreas, SecDef and AG). There are a lot of names being bandied about for all positions. There's a strong possibility that Robert Gates, the current SecDef, will be asked to stay on for maybe a year until Obama gets a handle on the Middle East situation and appoints someone else to the post. I really don't know who he has in mind for some of the other spots (possible that Paulson will also be asked to stay on, but less likely than Gates), but he might choose the guy in charge of the NY Reserve, I can't remember his name, and I think Sam Powers is a strong candidate for National Security Advisor. Rahm Emmanuel is being talked about as a Chief of Staff candidate.

For AG, Michigan's own Jennifer Granholm is being talked about seriously. She was Michigan's AG before being elected governor. Too bad she can't run for president.

Can anyone believe that Indiana still hasn't been called? Obama is currently ahead in three of the last four states: Monatan, North Carolina, and Indiana. If he takes them all, he'll come in just shy of the 370 official landslide, but I don't care about what's official. This is a stunning electoral college victory across the map that I will result in a lot of power in Washington, as Congress realizes this amounts to a mandate.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
There's a strong possibility that Robert Gates, the current SecDef, will be asked to stay on for maybe a year until Obama gets a handle on the Middle East situation and appoints someone else to the post.

You really think so? It could be a good idea, I respect Gates. I was pleasantly surprised to like Rummy's replacement.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
So when will he be inaugurated?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

I believe Jan 20 is inauguration day.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Just wow. I know in the back of my head I should be going to bed, but I'm too excited.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yep.

But he'll start to exert influence almost immediately. He'll meet with Bush quickly to discuss a host of matters, not the least of which is an upcoming economic summit that Bush wants his input on. He also has to form a government from scratch over the next couple months. He needs to be ready to go on day one.

Here's a question no one has asked: Two senators were just taken off the table in Deleware and Illinois. Who will the Democratic governors of those two states appoint to replace them? There were strong rumors that Biden's son Bo would get the nod in Deleware, and if that's the case, it'd be a coup for his political career. He's the state's AG I think, and a reserve officer in the army. Being appointed Senator might be a nice stepping stone to the Governor's mansion and then a run at the White House of his own in 12 or 16 years. The problem there is the fact that he was supposed to be deployed to Iraq (even though he was in Chicago at Grant Park tonight). Many felt that would stop the governor from offering him the spot, but I don't know. He's certainly qualified. Keep your eye out for names for those spots.

quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
You really think so? It could be a good idea, I respect Gates. I was pleasantly surprised to like Rummy's replacement.

Obama likes Gates. Actually most Democrats like Gates. He's a breath of fresh air after Rumsfeld. The two of them have met several times and had productive meetings. He knows the issues, he's in the midst of a military in transition to a 21st century fighting force, and the two already have a working rapport. Keeping him on makes sense in that sense, and also because keeping on a Bush appointment has strong political appeal as far as bipartisanship goes. He won't stay on for the full term I don't think, but he'd be an excellent interim choice that I think would earn a unanimous confirmation in the Senate.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Can anyone believe that Indiana still hasn't been called? Obama is currently ahead in three of the last four states: Monatan, North Carolina, and Indiana. If he takes them all, he'll come in just shy of the 370 official landslide, but I don't care about what's official. This is a stunning electoral college victory across the map that I will result in a lot of power in Washington, as Congress realizes this amounts to a mandate.

I think that he could hit the 370 landslide. Missouri isn't done being counted, and St. Louis isn't done being counted yet, looking at the gap, it may be just enough. I don't know if it's likely, but it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

This is really a vindication of Dean's 50-state strategy. I had my doubts, but Obama's campaign did so well fund-raising that they had the resources to pull it off.
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
The rumors are that Jesse Jackson Jr. will be the appointment for Obama's seat, and I would bet on Bo Biden as well for Delaware Lyrhawn. Those would be two great senators.

I also like Colin Powell for Secretary of State, Gates may hang around for a year, and I would bet on Joe Lieberman coming into Obama's cabinet in some capacity. I don't think, after the general, that Lieberman can go back to the senate because the dems want his head, and I think it would a great move on Obama's part for him to bring him in. I also see Bill Richardson as UN Ambassador or Chairman of the DNC for Dean, the guy from the federal reserve whose name neither of us can remember as Treasury Secretary (with Paulson serving as an advisor for at least a year), and Gates to return as Secdef as well.

Oh and what a speech. Just...wow...

Edited: And his COS will be Rahm Emmanuel from Illinois.

Edited2: Oh and Buffet will serve some role, probably as one of his economic advisers, along with Steve Forbes (republican), and maybe Sam Power in a foreign relations role. One last thing, how about Hillary Clinton for AG? That would be interesting, but I am not sure that she either wants it or that Obama wants to give it to her.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

I agree with your last post, humean, except for Leiberman. Blech. He made his bed with the Republicans, let him lie in it.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
His speech was so gracious and articulate. It was remarkable.

I feel like today, America grew up a little.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

In other news:

Looks like the gay marriage ban will pass in Florida and Arizona. The ban on gay adoption will pass in Arkansas. The ban on gay marrriage in CA is winning but not a lot of the vote is in.

Here in MI, medical marijuana and embryos for stem cell research both passed. In my own district, it looks like Gary Peters will unseat Joe Knollenburg for the US House, turning us blue [Smile]

Rep. Chris Shays has lost his House seat for the GOP, which means all of New England is now blue. He was the last Republican. North Carolina elected their first female governor ever.

On the senate:

4 Senate seats remain. They need all four to get to 60. It's not going to happen. Alaska is probably a given, so let's say 57 is guaranteed (the rest have all been called). Watch Minnesota and Oregon. As we speak they are both neck and neck. Between 5 and 10 thousand votes. Watch Georgia too. Martin isn't going to overtake Chambliss, but if he can knock him down to 49%, he'll get a runoff in December, and Obama will turn every resource as his disposal to the race. It'd be a sight to see.

Dems will probably net pickup 15-20 seats in the House. It won't be the 30+ turnover that they got in 2006 or that some were suspecting, but it'll pad their lead, and more importantly, it'll lessen the power of the Blue Dogs to force the Dems to center right or center left on a lot of issues.

Sterling
Member # 8096

Last I saw California it was 52-48 against Prop 8; this is a switch. Hopefully it won't be the last of the night.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Humean -

Giving Lieberman a place in the Administration would be a fantastic move for a lot of reasons. It'd give the governor a chance to appoint an out and out Democrat to replace him, which may be more important than one might think with Democrats looking for his head and Republicans looking to woo him into a party switch. It would also look nice and bi-partisan, and he's actually qualified for several positions, so why not? Many may view it as rewarding treachery, but it's a smart political tactic. Frankly, it's something Lincoln would have done.

I think the guy from the Reserve is Tim Geithner? Gathner?

Hillary as AG? Her name has been seriously bandied about as a possible SCOTUS Justice for Obama's first appointment. Jennifer Granholm has also been discussed in such a capacity. She has demured whenever asked about either position. I think Obama would be okay with offering such a place to her, but I think she'll remain in the Senate and look to replace Reid when he eventually retires. Let me say this though; if she DOES take the AG spot, she's running for president in 8 years. I think she'd be crazy to do so. Obama isn't just the leader of the Democratic party now, he's the harbinger of a new brand of Democrat, or at least a new generation. She's part of the old generation. After Obama will be a long line of younger 40 something Democrats that will want their shot. Biden and Clinton will fade away into the history books.

MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
Last I saw California it was 52-48 against Prop 8; this is a switch. Hopefully it won't be the last of the night.

I've been watching that all night and I've never seen it switch to the no side. It's been pretty consistently 53/47 in favor of "yes".
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Such a bittersweet night so far. Awesome for Obama, but looking sad for gay rights in CA.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, like there are any gay people in CA anyway...
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

quote:
I think Obama would be okay with offering such a place to her, but I think she'll remain in the Senate and look to replace Reid when he eventually retires.
I thought about that too, but it won't happen. When the Republicans talked about Reid/Pelosi, that was a real drag on the Democrats in some ways, and so, replacing that with Clinton/Pelosi just makes it worse. Obama knows that, as do the democrats who, by the way, don't even like Hillary in the senate, and who would not put with her as their leader in the senate.

I really don't think her post as the AG means she will run in 2008, I think she saw her chance in this election and didn't get it, and I think she knows that her and Biden will fade, as you said. I don't think she is going to run for President again, though she may seek the governership of NY, but I do think that if she accepts the position of AG, then she will accept a position on the Supreme Court with her position as AG setting that up.

Just a few more names to remember: General Wes Clark, who would make a great Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Claire Mcaskil (sp?) of Missouri, Caroline Kennedy (who I would not be surprised to be tapped to head up something Barack starts), and last but not least, T. Boone Pickens.

Edited: It looks as if Obama will win NC and Indiana and McCain will win Montana and Missouri. That will place the final tally at 364-173. It was close to that big huge landslide, but it was still quite the landslide.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

What spots do you see Caroline Kennedy or Claire McCaskill getting? Besides, who is the governor of Missouri? It might give the seat away. I think she stays in the Senate.

T. Boone Pickens. It's possible. But the only spot I see him taking would be Secretary of Energy. Either that as some sort of energy task force leader, but I think that role would more likely be offered to Al Gore, who despite his protestations, I think would jump at the chance if Obama really offered him a position of real power rather than just an advisory role.

Missouri is down to a thousand vote difference with 99% reporting! In MN, Franken trails Coleman by 3,000 with 10% left.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The California Registrar-Recorder is currently estimating that 97%! of all registered California voters voted! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Rivka sweetie, a) it's LA county b) I'm not sure the 97% is a percentage of all registered voters. I think it's some technical voting stat.
edit: or maybe it does mean 97% in LA voted. That would be incredible.

Humean316
Member # 8175

quote:
What spots do you see Caroline Kennedy or Claire McCaskill getting?
Well, the thing about Caroline Kennedy is that she is not a politician, so it might be interesting for Obama to get her to help run a coalition or committee he creates around health care or the environment or some other post in government. From what I know of Obama, he wants to set an example of government service and patriotism, and I think she would make a perfect example for others to follow.

McCaskill is different because I think she became a large part of the campaign for Obama and I think he wants her as part of his government. Matt Blunt in the governor of Missouri but he will not run for a second term and the Democrats won the governorship (Nixon won) of Missouri tonight, so he may have the opportunity to appoint McCaskill to a post that can be filled after Jan. 22.

Indiana has been called for Obama, and he might just take Missouri after all...

ETA: LOL, Missouri is down to a 398 vote difference.

rivka
Member # 4859

Pfft. Everyone knows L.A. County is the only part of California that matters. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Missouri is down to three counties, one of which is the Kansas City suburbs and is heavily Obama. The other two are for McCain. All three have been at least partially reported, and in the case of the Democratic district, has been heavily reported.

He has like 400 votes to make up.

Humean316
Member # 8175

Well, Jeff Merkley is in a race with Gordon Smith in Oregon, both are tied with 47% and if the dems win they will pick up the seat. Al Franken and his opponent and Coleman are in the same kind of battle in Minnesota where again the democrats can pick up a seat. Ted Stevens is leading in his bid to retain his senate seat even after he was convicted in his corruption trial. Finally, it appears that Chambliss will beat Martin in Georgia.

More than likely, the democrats will have a 57 or 58 seat majority in the senate, depending on how Franken and Merkley do and just what exactly happens to Lieberman. Think of this too, Obama may have a Jewish problem with some voters, so placing Lieberman in his cabinet might help that, which just gives him another reason to bring him in to his White House.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Last four Senate races, with Dems at 56, Reps at 44.

Minnesota with 94% reporting

Coleman(R): 1,137,591
Franken(D): 1,136,019
Barkley(I): 411,890

Alaska with 45% reporting

Stevens(R): 62,153
Begich(D): 57,710

Oregon with 45% reporting

Merkley(D): 429,987
Smith(R): 429,934

Georgia with 98%

Chambliss(R): 1,736,962 50%
Martin(D): 1,595,969 46%

Remember Martin doesn't need to win, he just needs to keep Chambliss' total under 50% to force a runoff in December.

Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Obama is President! What a relief! Finally someone who doesn't perceive the world only in terms of black or white. (Pun not intended. [Razz] ) And it's good to see that it wasn't a tight race either.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pinky:
Obama is President! What a relief! Finally someone who doesn't perceive the world only in terms of black or white. (Pun not intended. [Razz] ) And it's good to see that it wasn't a tight race either.

Obama has a mandate from Odin.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Good.

The Asgard vote really had me concerned.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Senate race updates:

Minnesota with 95% reporting

Coleman(R): 1,142,225
Franken(D): 1,140,860
Barkley(I): 413,537

Alaska with 66% reporting

Stevens(R): 84,830
Begich(D): 81,717

Oregon with 45% reporting

Smith(R): 434,893
Merkley(D): 432,483

Georgia with 98%

Chambliss(R): 1,739,974 50.3%
Martin(D): 1,599,906 46%
Buckley(L): 118,714 4%

And with that I'm signing off for the night. I've already tarried too long when I should have either been reading or asleep. Keep in mind with whatever Alaska's final numbers are, that there are 10,000 absentee ballots to be counted in the coming days as well, and supposedly they have a heavy Republican tilt. Stevens just might pull this thing off afterall, which I believe would throw the matter to the courts during his sentencing hearing.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Pfft. Everyone knows L.A. County is the only part of California that matters. [Wink]

There's a part of CA that matters? [Wink]

I mean, when there isn't a shinda going on, that is.....

[Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
There's a part of CA that matters? [Wink]

Zing!
rivka
Member # 4859

Pfft. I'm supposed to take opinions on California from someone in Florida?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My stars.

Franken is losing and Stevens is winning.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
And that, my friends, is why someone from Alaska probably cannot relate to the country as a whole. Call me silly, but I doubt most people would reelect a convicted person unless they had a damn good reason for believing him to be innocent.

Or perhaps if his opponent was absolutely terrible. Not sure which, if either, is the case x_x

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn,

Thank you for all your work in the election threads. You did great and I appreciate it.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
My stars.

Franken is losing and Stevens is winning.

I'm more excited about Gordon Smith in Oregon. The 2006 election was terrible for moderate Republicans. The more moderates like Smith and Coleman we keep, the happier I'll be. I'd much rather see Saxby Chambliss lose than Smith or Coleman. And the prospect of Al Franken in the Senate, while slightly entertaining, is simultaneously nauseating to me (because his rhetoric is so ascerbic, which is the last thing I think our country needs).

As for Stevens, I'm seriously dumbfounded.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Yeah, Smith is a pretty reasonable guy. I'm not particularly sorry to see him keep his seat.

Stevens, though... Good gravy, sometimes I hate it when I'm right. Way to pin a bullseye to yourselves for some much-deserved mockery, guys.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rahm Emmanuel is being talked about as a Chief of Staff candidate.

Really? He's my cousin. Not that I'd vote for him, but that's kind of cool.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, on CNN looks like IN went blue. Do we know which way Missouri and North Carolina went yet?
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Lyrhawn,

Thank you for all your work in the election threads. You did great and I appreciate it.

Seconded. Great job, Lyrhawn.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Yes, Lyrhawn, I appreciate all your updates and other work on the election threads. Thanks! [Hat]

In the Georgia Senate race, Saxby Chanbliss appears to be headed for a run-off in Dec., as he can't get 50% + 1.

Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BannaOj:
Ok, on CNN looks like IN went blue. Do we know which way Missouri and North Carolina went yet?

MO went red. [Frown]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
It's 'cause I was so embarrassed.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBlueShadow
Member # 9718

- posted      Profile for TheBlueShadow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

In the Georgia Senate race, Saxby Chanbliss appears to be headed for a run-off in Dec., as he can't get 50% + 1.

Has that been confirmed? I know they were beginning to or had been counting absentee ballots according to the local news when I left this morning.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.