FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's your favorite science fiction movie? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What's your favorite science fiction movie?
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars is still "science fantasy" in my book, rather than science fiction.

I don't know what my list would include yet - I'd have to think on it.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd call it space opera.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Do not mention the Matrix, you'll just sound stupid if you do.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
quote:
I didn't even know they made a movie out of that. I really liked the story when I read it.
Now that I've looked it up, it appears that what I saw was a made-for-tv movie or something to that effect, and it had Lisa Bonet in it. It turns out there was an honest-to-goodness movie made as well. That one might be better.

ETA: Hey! It has Bruce Davidson in it! Maybe I'll check it out.

Both of them were made for TV. The one with Bruce Davison was phenomenal. It ran on PBS back when I was a kid, and for decades, it was unobtainable. They'd let the rights lapse, and they had to go and sign everyone involved in it to get it back into print. It's an amazing movie; one of my favorites. As much as I like Lisa Bonet, the remake was meh.

In no particular order:

* Lathe of Heaven (the original)
* Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
* Strange Days
* 12 Monkeys
* 12:01
* Electric Dreams
* The Thirteenth Floor
* Time After Time
* The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Through the 8th Dimension
* Timecop
* Next
* Matrix

I think if I had to pick the ones I rewatch the most, they'd be 12:01, The Thirteenth Floor, and Timecop.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
quote:
I'm going to go with Evolution on this one. Head & Shoulders saves the world!
Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing but love for Evolution. But there's no selenium in Head and Shoulders. They mixed it up with Selsun Blue.

And for some twisted reason, that makes it even funnier to me.

The extra strength Head & Shoulders I use does, it comes in a dark blue bottle and is orange. All their other products don't though.

Still an odd choice for the movie though...

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. I just use the regular strength with pyrithione zinc.

It's nice to know there's a real product that matches what was in the movie.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Through the 8th Dimension
Aw, how could I forget that?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Because it was an awful movie?
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
I thoroughly enjoy Children of Men.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Logan's Run
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread has made me realize that, for the most part, I'm not a big fan of science fiction movies. Huh.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.