FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Obama, the living Hegemon (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Obama, the living Hegemon
DC Morphis
Member # 11929

- posted      Profile for DC Morphis           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how many of you have been watching the news, but we have a living Hegemon, as was characterized in the book, Shadow of the Hegemon.

The Hegemon's name and influence was throughout the world, yet not recognized as having direct power and influence over all nations, because of land and power divisions, and government successions.

What we have now is a brand new president, who's name and influence is being seen throughout the entire world. Strong national powers and governments have come on the news as having faith in President Obama's power to affect the world, that is when it comes to world issues they rely on President Obama.

According to what I've been seeing and hearing on the news, the only difference in the Hegemon, and President Obama is direct influence vs. implied or expected influence.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
:yawn:

:rolls over:

:scratches self:

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
Well...alright then.

Welcome to Hatrack. Good Luck.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
President Obama is certainly not the living Hegemon. He is a brand new President in the honeymoon period. Let's see where he is in 100 days and after 4 years.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Has there been an American president since FDR that this hasn't been the case for?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who has studied the issue carefully knows that Obama is certainly not qualified to be the living hegemon.

He lacks the most important quality for that title-- in fact, Barack Hussein Obama is one of the undead.

That's right. He's a vampire.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're making the argument that the world essentially exists -- unwillingly -- under an American hegemony, I think there's some merit to that. But I don't think it's something remotely new.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:

:: nods :: Why the mainstream media didn't put this together when he had all of the mirrors removed from the White House, I'm not sure. You'd also think that they'd have been suspicious when he had that large box of Hawaiian soil shipped in.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Yes, but is he a Christian vampire or is he a secret Muslim vampire?

The American people have a right to know: if our newly elected President comes swooping down through the night to drain us of our blood and turn us into his undead thralls, can we drive him off with a crucifix or not? I would never have voted for him if I thought I was not adequately prepared to shield my self from his unholy hunger.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, the fact that he put his hand on the bible during his inauguration is proof that he's a secret Muslim vampire. It's the Koran that burns his flesh.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, he's certainly not the sparkly-type. Maybe he's the angsty-tortured-soul kind.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Squicky, it's ridiculous to think that Obama's religion makes a difference in how to drive him away; I have to really wonder about your motives in bringing that particular topic up.

OF COURSE it doesn't matter what religion he is-- any sacred symbol should do fine in warding him off.

On that note: some experts agree that a particularly powerful vampire, such as Obama almost certainly is, may be immune to holy symbols entirely. Powerful undead do not suffer, for example, when presented with relics presented by faithless, quivering fair-weather faithful. But someone of true belief is an agony to them-- see 'Salem's Lot' for details.

EDIT: The fact that he placed his hand on the Bible to take the oath affirms the above. Who was holding the Bible? Some weak-kneed, panty-waist who couldn't even get the oath right.

You see?

[ January 23, 2009, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Scott,
I have to wonder at your motives for disseminating such dangerous misinformation.

While the Protestant literary elite may want to promote their iconoclasism by claiming that the power lies solely in faith and not in the symbols, that's just their anti-Catholic bias coming out.

And I'll bet a lot of them deep down want the vampires to win.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
ROFL
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are... uh... killing me.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
FOOLS!

Obama is a TWILIGHT vampire. Garlic? Korans? How elementary of you all...

Obama uses his vampiric prowess to woo teenage girls, enjoy a startling amount of charisma, and to posses superhuman strength.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Twilightism is just a phase that some middle age vampires go through to convince themselves that they are still young. So they buy a sports car, put on body glitter, and start hanging around high schools trying to pick up naive 16 year olds who think that having an older boyfriend makes them mature. It's all pretty pathetic.

A vampire so insecure in himself would never have been able to resist the dark magics that John McCain has at his command.

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... Powerful undead do not suffer, for example, when presented with relics presented by faithless, quivering fair-weather faithful. But someone of true belief is an agony to them-- see 'Salem's Lot' for details.

Even pretty lowly vampires can withstand the slight burning effect of Bibles or crosses, easily knocking them away. As evidenced by Buffy and Angel, if we really need to ward off Obama we need to afflict him not with weapons or symbols, but with angst.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

See my edit.
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
... Powerful undead do not suffer, for example, when presented with relics presented by faithless, quivering fair-weather faithful. But someone of true belief is an agony to them-- see 'Salem's Lot' for details.

Even pretty lowly vampires can withstand the slight burning effect of Bibles or crosses, easily knocking them away. As evidenced by Buffy and Angel, if we really need to ward off Obama we need to afflict him not with weapons or symbols, but with angst.
Your example doesn't support your thesis. Angst doesn't ward off vampires. It makes them first curious, then tame, then lovelorn, and finally brings them fully into the angst fold as well.

Angst is the Vampire Borg. And the Slayer is its Queen.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
... It makes them first curious, then tame, then lovelorn, and finally brings them fully into the angst fold as well.

And then they run off to LA. I find LA to be sufficiently warded off.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
"Obama uses his vampiric prowess to woo teenage girls, enjoy a startling amount of charisma, and to posses superhuman strength."

That was Clinton...

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Has there been an American president since FDR that this hasn't been the case for?

Up until the end of the Cold War and collapse of the Soviet Union, it would be hard to make a case for global American Hegemony. But that still leaves 3 past presidents who could reasonably be considered to have been global hegemons.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lobo:
"Obama uses his vampiric prowess to woo teenage girls, enjoy a startling amount of charisma, and to posses superhuman strength."

That was Clinton...

...the loving Hegemon.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

quote:
quote:
... It makes them first curious, then tame, then lovelorn, and finally brings them fully into the angst fold as well.

Only some of them. The others stick around for years and years, and when they run off in angry angsty tears, it's only so they can come back a few months later and mope some more.

That being said, eventually the former and the latter end up in entertaining fights to the death and lots of biting (no pun intended), slightly homoerotic banter, so it all evens out in the end. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Thanks bunches. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

He gave his Inauguration Speech in the daytime sun. Although he could have been wearing the Gem of of Amarra.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
quote:

He gave his Inauguration Speech in the daytime sun. Although he could have been wearing the Gem of of Amarra.
That was the CNN hologram Obama.

The REAL Obama had a secret Wednesday inauguration in the dark caverns of the White House.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
If Obama is a vampire,
and If he chose a very specific holy relic to use in a ceremony,

then we can deduce that the holy relic in question is tainted by vampirism.

Who could taint the holy relic but some other vampire who used it before.

Hence, it must be conceded that Lincoln was a Vampire.

For further proof, he led the country into its bloodiest war--well, bloodiest war fought close enough so the blood could feed the vampiric hordes.

For further proof, he was the first Republican president, and its been shown that all Republican politicians are vampires.

It seems that by being Bi-Partisan, Hegemon Vampire Obama is simply willing to drink the blood from the left and the right.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
... That being said, eventually the former and the latter end up in entertaining fights to the death and lots of biting (no pun intended), slightly homoerotic banter, so it all evens out in the end.

The end, which happens to take place *away* in LA [Wink]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Obama was criticized during the campaign for making a disproportionately smaller number of campaign trips to Florida, and after he secured the nomination, often sent Clinton or other Democratic surrogates in his place to stump there.

I guess it makes sense that he'd stay away from the Sunshine State though, given his particular affliction.

And obviously the first American vampires were Henry Clay and John Calhoun. They must have been like 200 years old when they finally bit the dust.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Obama is scheduled to come to Trinidad for the Summit of the Americas in April. We don't have any holo projectors down here and the tropical sun will be quite intense this close to the equator at the equinox.

I'll keep a close eye on the situation. If he stays hidden during the daylight hours we'll know something is up.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Obama is scheduled to come to Trinidad for the Summit of the Americas in April. We don't have any holo projectors down here and the tropical sun will be quite intense this close to the equator at the equinox.

I'll keep a close eye on the situation. If he stays hidden during the daylight hours we'll know something is up.

::nods wisely:: Sounds agreeable.
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
Now we know why he wanted all those millions of people at the inaugeration. I bet he sucked a few of them dry. Are there any reports of missing people?

Mabye that's why Ted Kennedy went to the hospital, Obama got interupted in the middle. It would explaine why Caroline Kennedy doesn't want to be in Washington anymore.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh...

Hatrack used to be such a welcoming place. Now we all seem to be sarcastic, embittered, cynical curmudgeons. What's wrong with the world?

(In all honesty, the sarcastic, embittered and cynical tone resonates strongly with my own personality and I read threads like this and Blayne's laptop/screen issue with guilty pleasure).

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, the strain of indentifying the Undead among us has put us all in a bad mood.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

I think we're just jealous...Vampires seem to have way more fun...
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now we all seem to be sarcastic, embittered, cynical curmudgeons.
i wish
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

quote:
quote:
... That being said, eventually the former and the latter end up in entertaining fights to the death and lots of biting (no pun intended), slightly homoerotic banter, so it all evens out in the end.

The end, which happens to take place *away* in LA [Wink]
Damn your logic and impeccable memory!
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
The Blade franchise of movies leads me to believe that Obama must be the Daywalker type of vampire, probably only half-vampire (although it only takes a drop of vampire blood makes you a vampire).

My hope is that he single-handedly solves many of the wold's conflicts with some awesome yet unlikely weaponry developed by a gruff old man who loves him like a son.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My hope is that he single-handedly solves many of the wold's conflicts with some awesome yet unlikely weaponry developed by a gruff old man who loves him like a son.
Cheney?
Clinton?
Carter??
Blagoyovich?

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, in an ironic twist of fate, it turns out to be McCain!

He secured the Republican nomination, then chose Palin as his running mate in order to assure Obama's victory. He knew that we need a Daywalker president who can solve foreign crises with some awesome ninja moves and a machine gun that shoots silver-garlic bullets.

http://www.neatorama.com/2009/01/22/obama-the-action-hero/

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC Morphis
Member # 11929

So let me get things straight here . . . President Barrack H. Obama is now a Daywalking Vampire- only Half Vampire- who patrols the streets fighting crime?

The world is entranced with the Vampire twinkle in his eyes. I bet that's only a cover. Maybe he's not a Vampire or human at all. I think he jumps into his very sophistocated President Obama suit every morning. I think he's Pinky and The Brain- trying to take over the world! Those little mice will out think us all! They must be thwarted at once! Does anyone know the address to Acme Labs? I need to talk with the care taker or maybe the head scientist, to see if they're missing two ambitious mice.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC Morphis
Member # 11929

<his very sophistocated President Obama suit>

Had to correct myself- he's wearing a sophisticated President Obama suit. Then again, it's not just a he, because it's really a couple of mice, one is a genius, the other insane.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DC Morphis:
<his very sophistocated President Obama suit>

Had to correct myself- he's wearing a sophisticated President Obama suit. Then again, it's not just a he, because it's really a couple of mice, one is a genius, the other insane.

*sings* To prove his mousy worth, he'll overthrow the earth!*/sings*

I'm not sure he is a vampire but clearly his family is into Voodoo, why else would the first lady get so upset over it?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC Morphis
Member # 11929

Maybe she's into HooDoo . . . ever see that Skeleton Key movie? It's only real if you believe! She's trying to slip HooDoo culture into the US communities so she can eventually use it to take over the presidency by first trapping Hilary Clinton's body in a mirror or something.

That's it! They are both into HooDoo, and are really hundreds of years old. I wonder who's bodies they will steal next.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Beany Sasha, Malia, Lindsay, Britney, Paris, Hillary, Jenna...

[ January 24, 2009, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't you read the report? It's not actually them; it just looks like them and has their names.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know if Hilary Clinton had the chance to turn Lincoln's bible into a horcrux?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Acme Laboratories Ltd
852 Hastings Street East, Vancouver, BC V6A 1R6

http://www.acmelabs.com/

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.