FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Obama, the living Hegemon (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Obama, the living Hegemon
DC Morphis
Member # 11929

- posted      Profile for DC Morphis           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Orlox! I'll get right on it- to save the world!
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
Does anybody know if Hilary Clinton had the chance to turn Lincoln's bible into a horcrux?

::snort::

Nice.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pennie-Lain
Member # 11932

- posted      Profile for Pennie-Lain           Edit/Delete Post 
This is much more entertaining than if this was a Hegemon thread
Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DC Morphis:

Had to correct myself- he's wearing a sophisticated President Obama suit. Then again, it's not just a he, because it's really a couple of mice, one is a genius, the other insane.

You mean Broomfondle and Magic-Thighs?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Obviously, the fact that he put his hand on the bible during his inauguration is proof that he's a secret Muslim vampire. It's the Koran that burns his flesh.

Well, ONE of his inaugurations anyway... And if you'd looked more closely, you would have seen it was a copy of Moby Dick.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I'd have more respect for someone who swore on Melville than someone who swore on the bible. At least Melville is almost readable.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
I'd have more respect for someone who swore on Melville than someone who swore on the bible. At least Melville is almost readable.

I completely disagree. I read an abridged version of Moby Dick when I was younger and I thought, "Hey this isn't so bad! I should just read the original version." Buh-hoy was I wrong.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I said "almost" readable. I have yet to encounter a page in the Bible that offers a moment of enjoyment.
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I like all of Galatians. Ephesians is nice. Some of the Psalms are cool. All the Gospels, but especially the opening of John.

And I vaguely remember an Old Testament story from Sunday School where a guy broke into the evil king's bedroom and stabbed him in the gut with a sword. The evil king was so fat that the folds of skin enveloped the sword hilt. The guards didn't know what was wrong with him, and the murderer got away. I have no idea where that's from, but I'm almost positive that's really in the Bible.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I'd buy that. I wouldn't make a religion out of it...

Call me Ismael.

adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I vaguely remember an Old Testament story from Sunday School where a guy broke into the evil king's bedroom and stabbed him in the gut with a sword. The evil king was so fat that the folds of skin enveloped the sword hilt. The guards didn't know what was wrong with him, and the murderer got away. I have no idea where that's from, but I'm almost positive that's really in the Bible.
Check out Judges 3:12-30
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, adenam! I was wrong about the breaking in bit, but I like that Ehud was able to draw a sword on the guy because he was left-handed and Eglon didn't expect it.

I still have no idea why that story appealed to me so much as a kid, but it did.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.