FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are video games a deal-breaker with women? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Are video games a deal-breaker with women?
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:

Are there really people who consider a romance novel more intellectual than a graphic novel?

I guess it's possible if they haven't looked at either one.

If they have more than a knee-jerk disgust toward all forms of comics, they might be thinking that a book with no pictures forces you to use your imagination and exercise your brain more than a book with pictures.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
As for women who read graphic novels - well, I only know of one. And if there are any men who read romance novels ... I have no words for that.

You need to get out more. I know plenty of both.
Oh, I definitely need to get out more.

(Not to say that those people aren't out there ... just that I don't know them, so I never get the chance to look down my nose at them. [Wink] )

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough I read both graphic novels and romances.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Puppy: While being an avid gamer is not a complete deal breaker, it hasn't been my experience that "some" of the gamers I have dated were difficult to be around because of social skills. It is well over 90%. While the root of the objection is social ineptness, I have found, in my experience, that the single best indicator of whether or not I am going to have to be "understanding" when they don't have basic social manners is whether or not they love video games.

Since it is not really the games and instead what the games have almost universally indicated for me, there is room for me to be wrong. However, it is easier to tell in a first or second conversation if someone loves video games than whether or not they are socially inept. General nervousness can be put down to meeting someone new - what I want to know is if they are still going to be nervous and rude after four months. People rarely pronounce that they are socially awkward, but if they pronounce that they love video games and the more story and skill involved the better, that's a pretty good signal of it.

All "in my experience", of course.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Any other near-complete deal-breakers you've got? What about someone who's fat because they don't exercise?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Well, I don't like snide and sarcastic, either. It all comes from me not liking insecure, and adults who are snide and sarcastic on a regular basis tend to be, in my experience.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
edit: Kat beat me to the punch.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
I say this with all seriousness. It would be a complete deal-breaker for me if a potential significant other couldn't deal with social "ineptness" in another person.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That's fine. That makes perfect sense. And what someone wants in a romantic partner is not up for debate.

I don't think the quotation marks are necessary. Rather, I don't know what they mean. Do you not believe that ineptness exists?

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:
Any other near-complete deal-breakers you've got? What about someone who's fat because they don't exercise?

You know, I like it when people (men and women alike) are comfortable with how they are, or want to be more fit and are working towards that. What I have problems with are those who don't like how they are but don't do anything about it except whine. That's not a deal-breaker, it's just a bit annoying, and occasionally more than a bit...

Thinking about deal-breakers, the biggest ones would be someone who's smoking, drinking a lot or doing drugs. (Someone devoutly religious comes close, especially for the long term, but I can't say it's an absolute deal-breaker.) Anyway, I tend to avoid "wanting" to fall in love with such people because I learned in the past that I cannot adequately handle those situations, and frankly I don't want to. The rest really depends on the interaction with that other person.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
The quotation marks are probably because I'm not sure I know what ineptness is supposed to mean in this thread.

Bias alert: my interconnected tribes are... gamers, Scrabble tournament players, writers, and families of mentally ill people. I am making a big effort not to feel something like defensive :-). My WORLD is socially different.

I do get what you're saying. If someone said "I only date people with one blue and one brown eye", I would just think they had very specific needs in a partner (and probably give them the phone number of a genetic counselor). But I guess I'm saying that it gives me a grrr feeling.

But! I was married for 19 years to someone who had fundamentally different social needs than I do, and I would never advise such a thing.

So I just grrr a little. I think I'm both defensive and validating at the same time. How's that?

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I think that is very understandable and I'm not offended.

I am just answering the initial question, and I've put all the disclaimers on it: This is only my experience - I am not declaring it to be a universal truth.

All I can say is that the experiences I have had have led me to my current opinion.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
I usually have to wrench the remote out of my wife's hands to play Fallout 3 or Left 4 Dead.

I wish she'd go and read a romance novel so I can play! Anyone have any recommendations I can give her?

Gag her and throw her into the lake?

That or buy a 40" LCD 1080pi HD TV/Monitor for 600$ at best buy.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That or buy a 40" LCD 1080pi HD TV/Monitor for 600$ at best buy.
*whisper* 42" 1080p LCD HD TV for $649 on Woot *whisper*
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.