FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gold Illegal? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Gold Illegal?
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
no, it would be completely inert in your system before being expelled.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are way to logical.

In a post-apocalyptic world there will still be a demand for gold.

Every would be war-lord, petty-king, and would be tyrant will want gold.

Yes, they will want to bedeck their harem with it. They will want to appease their wives or husbands. They will want to look good.

But mostly they will want it to show that they can afford it.

Wealth is not only a path to luxury. It is a deterrent. If King Bling can afford a Gold crown, then he must have enough money to buy the best weapons for his soldiers. He must be a great leader, well able to defend himself, if he can stroll around with that gold all over.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Darth, just how bad an apocalypse are we talking about in this "post-apocalyptic world"?
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Darth, just how bad an apocalypse are we talking about in this "post-apocalyptic world"?

Probably about a 7.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
I suspect that even the people who are very wealthy would be more likely to seek some of the luxuries we've all come to view as necessities long before they'd be looking for gold.

Good point. I suspect that working batteries would be an extremely valuable luxury item after a few years.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i meant "not" as it its just wont be nuitrisious.

Well we can assume Fallout 3 as a 9 with 28 Days later as a 10. With WWII but with Nukes as per Harry Turtledove books as a 1, with the number depending on how many nukes get detonated in populated areas.

Actually lets put Jericho as a 1 and WWII with Nukes as a 5.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
We have some US savings bonds that have been sitting around collecting interest. I'm thinking seriously of redeeming them and going to http://www.apmex.com/ or somewhere like that to get some gold and silver. I have a feeling that even if the depression doesn't get any worse than it is right now, gold and silver will still hold their value a lot better than anything issued by the US treasury.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Gold is also very useful for electron microscopy and a wide range of interfacial technologies. I can think of dozens of things I've used gold for in the lab.

Of course, by "electron microscopy and a wide range of interfacial technologies", The Rabbit actually means "sitting on and laying my eggs in", and by "lab" she actually means "lair".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have heard that truly 100% gold would be translucent. Regular gold owes its characteristic opaque color to trace impurities.
As far as I understand it (and I'll admit my understanding is shaky), elemental metals are capable of absorbing a very wide range of energies (I think that's due to the fact that the electrons don't stick with one atom, but float around in a sea of electrons and therefore have a wider range of energy states available). It's not physically possible for a brick of gold to be transparent, although as sarcasticmuppet pointed out, you can hammer it so thin that some of the light does make it through without being absorbed. I think that's because gold is more malleable than other metals, though, not because of any unique optical properties.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We have some US savings bonds that have been sitting around collecting interest. I'm thinking seriously of redeeming them and going to http://www.apmex.com/ or somewhere like that to get some gold and silver. I have a feeling that even if the depression doesn't get any worse than it is right now, gold and silver will still hold their value a lot better than anything issued by the US treasury.
There's a much easier way to do that. I know about silver because that's where I invested, but it's basically the same for gold. You can either buy into an ETF like SLV that is basically just a whole mess of silver that you buy a piece of or you can buy stock in a silver company. I bought Silver Wheaton (SLW).

Buying silver or gold would be a good investment if we get the inflation it looks like we are.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I'm not feeling a lot of faith in companies just now. I'd rather have the metal in hand.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The current environment looks pretty strongly deflationary, rather than inflationary.

That will change when growth resumes, of course, but that obviates the motivation for gold and silver, anyways. And under a deflationary regime, something that pays actual interest (such as a savings bond) is a great thing.

Only get out of US savings bonds to the extent think the government is going to effectively disappear. The gov't would default on loans and entitlements before it would renege on savings bonds.

I mean, gold and silver's past prices show higher volatility and lower returns than other long run investments (in the long run), and they don't perform particularly well compared to guaranteed instruments like savings bonds in recessions, either. Absent the gov't disappearing, the evidence suggests they are a bad investment at the moment (and in general). Especially if you might need to cash out at short notice, given the extreme volatility.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Even with the commercial paper market crash (the Perfect Storm a bunch of the 'invest in gold' types were pointing to), gold has been a rather poor long-term investment. Commodities also regularly fail to escape economic crises and you never want to have your investments hedged on just one category, including precious metals, bullion, whatever.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
The current environment looks pretty strongly deflationary, rather than inflationary.

It's February 3, 2009. If we're still around next year, I'm going to bump this and see what you think about that statement in retrospect.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Go right ahead [Smile]

edit: I should note that inflation, even measured by the very flawed CPI, has dropped precipitously in the past several months. Using better measures of housing prices (a bad measure of housing prices is one of the many problems CPI has) shows an even greater drop.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"If the economy ever really collapses, gold will be largely useless in barter."

I really don't believe this at all unless you are talking about an apocalypse of Biblical proportions. Otherwise, gold is malleable for jewelry and fine products. There are other metals that can be said the same thing about them.

I think the reason gold is a favorite among some is because they think (at least I do to a small degree) that an economic collapse will actually be a dollar collapse. The world and life will go on. There will be no Mad Max scenario, but there could be a painful currency transition.

Out of the collapse of the dollar will spring a new currency. It might be a new global standard for a different currancy like the Euro or Yuan, a new currancy like an Amero, or a global restructuring of major currencies so that there is more then one dollar center of gravity.

Gold would maintain it's purchasing power so you could easily convert your wealth to the new defacto currency.

Having gold is not about bartering, it is about not loosing wealth in a currency transfer or dollar collapse. It is insurance.

Edit: Wanted to note that I agree completely with...
quote:
Commodities also regularly fail to escape economic crises and you never want to have your investments hedged on just one category, including precious metals, bullion, whatever.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
to elaborate just a bit further, silver is actually a better conductor than gold. As mph indicates, gold does not oxidize readily, so it makes for better contact points, which is why gold plated audio cables are popular and why gold is often used for high quality electronics. The best wiring would be gold-plated silver.

I always found it interesting (and it is not a coincidence) that the three best conductors (gold, silver and copper) are all in the same group on the periodic table. What Shigosei says about the free electrons bouncing around in the middle is what helps them be such good conductors of electricity (low electronegativity helps, too, I believe)

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
always found it interesting (and it is not a coincidence) that the three best conductors (gold, silver and copper) are all in the same group on the periodic table.
They are also generally come out of the same hole in the ground. They occur naturally in a mixed ore.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa, I am sure you know that affluent European Jewry survived nearly 2,000 years of persecution and periodic pogroms by keeping as much of their wealth as possible in the form of precious metals and gems--which could be picked up and carried away with them with little or no notice. That should provide a profound demonstration of the utility of doing what you suggest. Safekeeping the core of your wealth in gold or other precious metals and gems (though less so now with gems) is a strategy that has withstood the test of the ages. Here is how a people found a kind of recurring apocalypse to be survivable.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Lisa, I am sure you know that affluent European Jewry survived nearly 2,000 years of persecution and periodic pogroms by keeping as much of their wealth as possible in the form of precious metals and gems--which could be picked up and carried away with them with little or no notice. That should provide a profound demonstration of the utility of doing what you suggest. Safekeeping the core of your wealth in gold or other precious metals and gems (though less so now with gems) is a strategy that has withstood the test of the ages. Here is how a people found a kind of recurring apocalypse to be survivable.

Bhwa, thats not what I remember.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:
Gold is also very useful for electron microscopy and a wide range of interfacial technologies. I can think of dozens of things I've used gold for in the lab.

Of course, by "electron microscopy and a wide range of interfacial technologies", The Rabbit actually means "sitting on and laying my eggs in", and by "lab" she actually means "lair".
[ROFL]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Yeah, because Jews were the ONLY ones who ever owned gold, and nobody else EVER had a history of conspicuously wearing their wealth on their person or keeping it in their home. :eyeroll:
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Gold also is very reflective; ergo, they use it in the space suit helmets.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:

I'm... wow. I'm speechless. And I think people here know how rare that is.

You live in a fantasy world, Ron.

Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lisa, I am sure you know that affluent European Jewry survived nearly 2,000 years of persecution and periodic pogroms by keeping as much of their wealth as possible in the form of precious metals and gems--which could be picked up and carried away with them with little or no notice.

[Eek!]

Where to begin? European Jewry in general was anything but affluent. (A few European Jews, yes. They were exceptions.) And Jewry survived not through canny survival techniques, but by spreading out thinly enough so that when some communities got stomped out, a few others were always left elsewhere.

But I suppose once you eliminate those bits, I can't quibble with what remains. (What remains is "Lisa.")

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If I admit that I agree with both Blayne and Lisa, will the universe implode or explode?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

If you agree with Blayne, it implodes; if you agree with Lisa, it explodes. That way the disasters cancel and nothing happens.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have heard that truly 100% gold would be translucent. Regular gold owes its characteristic opaque color to trace impurities.

I have not heard of any case inwhich gold is toxic. But I have not researched the subject.

One of the disadvantages of silver is that it is almost always found contaminated with lead, and the lead has to be purified out. Any purification process is less than 100% effective.

No. Pure gold would still be gold colored. Think how delocalized the electrons are in a good metallic conductor, like gold.

As pointed out earlier, gold is a heavy metal, try hard enough and you could make it toxic. That being said, you might have to try pretty hard.

I see no reason to believe that we cannot purify silver to any required level. The problem here is that increasing purity levels may become rather expensive. And I'm not seeing what the problem is, what are we using silver for that requires more than a 9 or two?

edit: i'm really slow.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
If you agree with Blayne, it implodes; if you agree with Lisa, it explodes. That way the disasters cancel and nothing happens.

[ROFL]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
If I admit that I agree with both Blayne and Lisa, will the universe implode or explode?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
quote:

No.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
and clichés are right once in a blue moon.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

You're the guy behind timecube, aren't you?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
quote:

*pat pat*

Try not to be so hard on yourself.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

quote:
Not if it's digital.

(But really, you're probably not as wrong even as often as a broken analog clock. Although I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the whole Mao thing.)

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

The European history that I learned included the fact that it was Jewish lenders who kept lending to the European aristocracy that kept the latter financially afloat, until the debt became too huge, at which point the aristocracy would arrange for a pogrom. But the Jewish lenders knew their history, and kept at least some of their wealth in readily portable gems and precious metals. This kind of thing went on over and over again, all through 2,000 years of European history. It is shameful for European aristocracy, but I have always admired the cleverness of the affluent Jewish lenders. They did what they had to do to survive.
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pegasus:
and clichés are right once in a blue moon.

Thanks for saying that Pegasus. Someone had too.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
The European history that I learned included the fact that it was Jewish lenders who kept lending to the European aristocracy that kept the latter financially afloat, until the debt became too huge, at which point the aristocracy would arrange for a pogrom. But the Jewish lenders knew their history, and kept at least some of their wealth in readily portable gems and precious metals. This kind of thing went on over and over again, all through 2,000 years of European history. It is shameful for European aristocracy, but I have always admired the cleverness of the affluent Jewish lenders. They did what they had to do to survive.

You're a bit nutty on this, Ron. Among the people who lent money were Jews, because there were laws preventing us from engaging in other occupations. But there were very few such people. Most Jews were impoverished.

The explusions were generally led by the clergy, for religious reasons. I can understand why someone of your religious background might want to exonerate your co-religionists by making it into an economic thing, but it simply isn't the reality.

scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
You're a bit nutty on this, Ron.

Ron did say that it was the history he was taught, not some theory he came up with. And while it may be inaccurate, that sounds a lot like the history I was taught in high school. History seems to be one of those topics were inaccurate portrayals are extremely common.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I remember when in grade 7 when we were being told the maritime tradign states my teacher said "Italy" I corrected her that Italy wasn't unified until 1870(ish) and that during that time period italy was divided into a number of city states with Genoa and Venice as the primary traders.

She shushed me.

Noemon
Member # 1115

You know what's in wieners? Well, there's cow's eyes, and dog's heads, and old phone books, and, of course, wiener flavor.
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
quote:
I hope one day I can find someone to marry me who doesn't want a diamond ring, as buying one would seriously compromise my ethics.
If you end up with someone who does want a diamond, you can get a Polar Diamond from Canada. Still artificially expensive for something pretty and worthless, of course, but no slave labor worries. Alternately, you can take a trip to Arkansas together and dig up your own diamond in the diamond field national park there. Much more romantic and meaningful.
Thanks for the helpful advice [Big Grin]
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

String, thanks, but you're not my type. [Wink]

Aww man, and I though I was everybody's type. Oh well, looks like I'll have to fly the folks back home [Grumble]
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Lisa, from time to time, over the course of nearly a thousand years, the official church clergy called upon secular leaders to send armies up into the Piedmont mountain valleys to try to kill all the Waldenses--Christians who maintained the original Christianity of the Scriptures, and did not recognize the authority of the Pope. The clergy tried to foment distrust and hatred of the Waldenses by telling everyone that their children were born with one eye in the middle of their forehead, and other such nonsense.

The point is, Jews were not the only ones attacked by the official clergy.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

so?
Lisa
Member # 8384

I think he was basically saying, "Suck it up, Lisa. Christians attempted genocide on more than just you."
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, my, this thread makes me laugh and wince at the same time.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The explusions were generally led by the clergy, for religious reasons. I can understand why someone of your religious background might want to exonerate your co-religionists by making it into an economic thing, but it simply isn't the reality.
I don't understand how "making it an economic thing" is any better. You can't pay your debts so you eliminate your creditors? How is that morally any better than not liking their religion?

Not saying it's true, just saying that it doesn't really seem like a good way to exonerate anyone.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Lisa, I would never say to you to "suck it up." Nobody should be treated the way the Jews have been treated. What I was trying to convey was the fact that your people have not been alone in suffering; the same evil has been directed at others, though not for as long or on such a large scale at times.

This is just my own theory, but I suspect that the Jews have come in for so much hatred and persecution because through them the Ten Commandments were communicated, through whom all humanity will be judged (despite what your rabbis say about the Ten Commandments being only for the Jews). Also I believe it is because God originally chose your people to stand for Him and be His witnesses in the world, through whom the promised blessing made to Abraham has come to all the faithful. That reflects a theology that may be confusing to you, but it means a lot to me.

Some of us who take seriously the prophecies of Revelation 13 believe that the Holocaust was only a dress rehearsal for what will come during the final conflict between good and evil, when all living on earth will be judged in God's final bachan proving/testing. Then perhaps as much as one-third of the earth's population will suffer the same kind of Holocaust as did six million Jews in Nazi Germany.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So I CAN eat gold, it just might now be nutritious.
Do you have arthritis?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.