FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gold Illegal? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Gold Illegal?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Um....Ron? Am I misreading you, or are you saying that God will inflict suffering equivalent to the Holocaust on a third of the population?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some of us who take seriously the prophecies of Revelation 13 believe that the Holocaust was only a dress rehearsal for what will come during the final conflict between good and evil, when all living on earth will be judged in God's final bachan proving/testing.
So god wanted to make sure he got it right when he started killing everybody, so he practiced on the jews first.

i find your ideas compelling and would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Some of us who take seriously the prophecies of Revelation 13 believe that the Holocaust was only a dress rehearsal for what will come during the final conflict between good and evil, when all living on earth will be judged in God's final bachan proving/testing. Then perhaps as much as one-third of the earth's population will suffer the same kind of Holocaust as did six million Jews in Nazi Germany.

And those of us who believe in real prophets know that it's actually 2/3 of the world's population that's going to get blown away. And not by other people, as was the case in the Holocaust. Actually, it's a matter of dispute as to whether it's 2/3 or 8/9 of the world's population, but then, who's counting?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also a matter of dispute whether those numbers are literal. But hey, let's not nitpick.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Rashi seemed to think they were.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

"In dispute" does imply that there are authorities on at least two sides. [Smile] Rashi is not the only one out there.

(I'd say the dominant Orthodox Jewish opinion is "we don't understand the predictions of the future and it's best not to dwell upon them," actually.)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
(I'd say the dominant Orthodox Jewish opinion is "we don't understand the predictions of the future and it's best not to dwell upon them," actually.)

Ding!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:

"In dispute" does imply that there are authorities on at least two sides. [Smile] Rashi is not the only one out there.

Well, the "in dispute" was basically over whether it's 2/3 or 8/9.

But who's dwelling? I was just mentioning it in contrast to what Ron said.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa, I don't see that you necessarily score any points racing Ron's God to the bottom of the Evil Pile. There are no prizes in the Pinewood Derby of Jerkwad Gods.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Tom, you are misreading me. I did not say God would inflict the Holocaust on one third of humanity. I said He let us know in advance in the prophecies of Revelation that it would happen as part of the final effort of Evil to force everyone to abandon their faithfulness to God and venerate the creature in the apostate system of false religion. See Revelation 9:15, 20, 21; 11:7; 13:15, 17. God will use these events to "try" all humanity, because the people themselves will give the final demonstration of how they ultimately choose between good and evil, when the issues have finally been made clear to all.

One-third is most likely an approximate figure. And it may not mean that one-third of the human race will be true to God; some of them may be "collateral damage" as the wicked try to wipe out all the faithful who will not submit to their self-serving religious system.

While God will not prevent the faithful from suffering Holocaust, He will resurrect them and glorify them in front of their enemies just a short time later. See Revelation 11:11, 12.

While a massive number of people will be killed, the Bible also indicates that some will be specially protected, and will live to see Jesus come, though they too will suffer great persecution, being imprisoned or pursued as they flee. Texts that indicate this include: 1 Thessalonians 4:16, 17; 5:51; Psalms 91:1-17.

[ February 09, 2009, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

If Orhodox Jews actually understood scripture they wouldn't be Jewish anymore.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
That strikes me as the most racist thing I have ever read.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natural_mystic
Member # 11760

- posted      Profile for natural_mystic           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:

I think you have lead a sheltered life. [Smile]

I agree: that post could only have been made with the intention of provoking a fight.

Posts: 644 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

you sure?
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Ding!
Good advice for Christians as well.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
If Orhodox Jews actually understood scripture they wouldn't be Jewish anymore.

I assume that would be scripture in the original, King-James-approved, English? [Roll Eyes]
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
If it was good enough for Jesus...
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

If I could go back in time and shoot jesus in the back of the head I think I would just so we could stop having these conversations.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It would certainly change everything if someone were to kill Jesus.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
That seems like a lot of work to effect a halt to conversation.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

Are you sure you'd want to make a martyr out of him? That sort of thing could start a religion...
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:

Nah, it isn't racist. Dobbie is just an ignoramus.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Are you sure you'd want to make a martyr out of him? That sort of thing could start a religion...

Acrually if I really wanted to kill Christianity via timetravel, go back and convince the Governor to have jesus exiled somewhere far away and kept imprisoned.
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Acrually if I really wanted to kill Christianity via timetravel, go back and convince the Governor to have jesus exiled somewhere far away and kept imprisoned.

That's still too much work. Just tell Herod where he was really hiding.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus still would have given up His life anyway. Note what He said:
quote:
"For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father." (John 10:17, 18; NASB)
It is speculated that if the leaders of the Jewish nation had accepted Him, Jesus would have voluntarily entered the sanctuary at the time of the Passover, lain down on the Altar of Sacrifice of His own accord, and without anyone touching Him, would have voluntarily given up His life, passing into the soul-sleep of death. All the other things done to Him--the scourgings, the beatings, the derision, the crucifixion--were gratuitous, inspired by Satan in control of wicked men, to try to discourage Christ and turn Him aside from His purpose to Redeem the human race.

This is also the point when the last shred of sympathy for the fallen Lucifer was severed among the angels of God, for in the things Satan stirred up men to do, he revealed his own true spirit and character, that he desired to kill God.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Dude no one cares about your fictional superman.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Who, for goodness sake, speculates that?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
"For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father." (John 10:17, 18; NASB)
It is speculated that if the leaders of the Jewish nation had accepted Him, Jesus would have voluntarily entered the sanctuary at the time of the Passover, lain down on the Altar of Sacrifice of His own accord, and without anyone touching Him, would have voluntarily given up His life, passing into the soul-sleep of death. All the other things done to Him--the scourgings, the beatings, the derision, the crucifixion--were gratuitous, inspired by Satan in control of wicked men, to try to discourage Christ and turn Him aside from His purpose to Redeem the human race.
A dead body on the altar would have defiled it.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
So it would be like killing two birds with one stone.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Dobbie, be nice to Lisa, please.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yes but a resurrected being who was God himself would also sanctify it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sorry, but no.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Since all the animals that were ever slain on the Altar in accord with the direction of God were types, representing Messiah, the Savior, then the body of Jesus Christ on the Altar would have provided the Antitype that fulfilled all those types and given them their true meaning. It would have been the ultimate fulfillment of the Jewish religion, not its negation or defilement. But even so, the body of Jesus Christ on the Cross served the same purpose. And at the moment of His death, "...the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom." (Mark 15:38; NASB) Note it was torn in two from top to bottom, as by unseen hands reaching down from above. Also, the veil was several inches thick. Thus at the moment of Christ's death on the Cross, the earthly sanctuary ceased to be relevant, because its types were fulfilled.

Christ now serves as the High Priest for all humanity in the sanctuary or temple of God in heaven, after which the earthly sanctuary was patterned. (See Exodus 25:40; Hebrews 8:5)

[ February 10, 2009, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Well, if you're going to edit out that comment, I withdraw my reaction.

Further edit: Actually, I see that you didn't. Silly me.

[Roll Eyes]

[ February 10, 2009, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Shmuel
Member # 7586

Tea, anyone?
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

If you can serve it in golden chalices, Shmuel, that would be nice. (Just trying to segue back into the original thread topic.)
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tea, anyone?

Any barley tea? I take mine with sugar.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Dobbie, be nice to Lisa, please.

That would offend me. Dobbie is such an odious creature that I rather savor his inane comments.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

No. Maybe in some other religion than the one that God gave, but according to God, a dead body is a dead body, and God isn't a corpse.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Since all the animals that were ever slain on the Altar in accord with the direction of God were types, representing Messiah, the Savior

Gross. No, that's not the case. The animals did not represent the Messiah, and the Messiah is not a Savior. Only God is a Savior; the Messiah is just a man.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
These conversations are amusing.

In a way, the sides don't even agree to enter the same universe. Instead, we have someone arguing in a universe where the Jewish God exists and someone else arguing in a different universe over here where the Christian God exists. And allllllllll the way over here there's this person who's arguing in a universe where Jesus is just, "this guy, you know."

But somehow the objections to one proposal in one universe, say going back in time to kill Jesus are rebutted by someone working with a completely different universe and a different set of rules.

Its not entirely different from Star Wars vs. Star Trek debates when the conversation degenerates and people start pulling out stuff like whether Darth Vader could force crush everyone on the Enterprise or whether Q could snap his fingers and vanish the entire Imperial navy.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

It's like that, except where Star Wars is a lame spin-off of Star Trek.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
So you're a Trekkie, Lisa?
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I always choose pirates, myself.
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:
quote:

No. Maybe in some other religion than the one that God gave, but according to God, a dead body is a dead body, and God isn't a corpse.
Let me get this straight, let's say the God of Israel, (ignoring anything to do with Jesus) shows up above the alter, and lets say makes the dead body disappear and then stands upon the alter.

Would God then be ritually unclean? How about if he said, "I now pronounce this alter sanctified and clean."?

Seems to me, and of course I could be wrong, that God can never be unclean, since he is God, the very definition of clean and pure.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Pffft. Corran Horn would totally blow pirates AND everyone else away. And look sexy doing it. Humbly. And with a witty line. But without levitating.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

BB, you're assuming a physical body. You're also assuming God changes His mind, or can change the way the universe works.

Both these assumptions make your hypothetical meaningless to us.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:

Let me get this straight, let's say the God of Israel, (ignoring anything to do with Jesus) shows up above the alter, and lets say makes the dead body disappear and then stands upon the alter.
What do you mean "shows up"? God is above the altar. And everywhere else. How do you get God "showing up"?

quote:
Would God then be ritually unclean?

What does that mean? God isn't an object.

quote:
How about if he said, "I now pronounce this alter sanctified and clean."?

We'd say, "Sorry, but God gave us His Torah and told us that if anyone comes to add or subtract from it claiming that the instruction was from Him, we're supposed to kill him as a false prophet. He also said that even if the person in question does signs and wonders, it's just God testing us. So no, the altar (and btw, God wouldn't misspell 'altar') is defiled."

quote:
Seems to me, and of course I could be wrong, that God can never be unclean, since he is God, the very definition of clean and pure.

True. Also, God can never be killed, since He is God, the very definition of life and immortality. A dead body isn't God. It's a dead body. And it defiles not only anything it touches, but any person or open vessel in the same building it's in.

[Edit: Check out Deuteronomy 13 and 18. You still have those in your Bible, yes?]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

rivka: yes I was assuming you believed God has some sort of body or is capable of having one. My mistake.

Lisa: See my mistaken assumption in my post to Rivka.

quote:
What does that mean? God isn't an object.
Out of curiosity, how do you interpret Exodus 33:20-23?

quote:
We'd say, "Sorry, but God gave us His Torah and told us that if anyone comes to add or subtract from it claiming that the instruction was from Him, we're supposed to kill him as a false prophet. He also said that even if the person in question does signs and wonders, it's just God testing us. So no, the altar (and btw, God wouldn't misspell 'altar') is defiled."
The caveat being that the prophet tells you to go after other Gods. God changing his instructions is not the same thing as a messenger telling you that God has changed his instructions. You are most certainly right God would not misspell altar, but if he spelled it "alter" I should think that that spelling would then become correct.

quote:
True. Also, God can never be killed, since He is God, the very definition of life and immortality. A dead body isn't God. It's a dead body. And it defiles not only anything it touches, but any person or open vessel in the same building it's in.
Did you not notice where I said, (ignoring anything to do with Jesus.) I was not saying that there was any relation to the dead body and God himself. I was just asking that if God came down, made a dead body disappear from off the altar and pronounced it clean, would said altar then become clean.

I made a mistake forgetting you don't believe God has any sort of physical form. Apparently he could not appear to anyone in any recognizable form. edit: Or would not rather than cannot?

[ February 11, 2009, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Lisa, just out of curiosity, what do you regard the purpose of those animals that were sacrified to have been, if not to confess one's sins AND confess faith in God's provision for our salvation in the coming Sinbearer who would really bear our sins and pay for them? Do you believe that the blood of bulls, goats, and lambs had redemptive power in itself? Do you think that if you sin against God, then kill a lamb, that puts you at peace with God, in and of itself? Confession, even accompanied by repentance, does not constitute atonement.

Or do you think it does? I seem to recall you saying something some time ago that sounded like you were saying repentance is all the atonement we need. I have to question whether that could bring us back into full fellowship and approval with God. If Adolph Hitler were to be resurrected, and he said, "I'm sorry," would that be sufficient for you? If that were all God required, would He be Just?

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.