FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » robbed and reeling (now returned and rejoicing) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: robbed and reeling (now returned and rejoicing)
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Our home was robbed last night as were 8 other homes in our little neighborhood of 15.

They stole all our computers and the backup drives. I lost several years of data for my research, papers I'm writing, a proposal that was due today, student grades, blah blah blah.

I don't even care about the monetary loss, I want my life back.

[ March 01, 2009, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. Notify all parties and change all your passwords ASAP.

Wait a minute... is this really Rabbit?

Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Rabbit, that's awful. I'm sorry. [Frown]
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] I'm so sorry Rabbit. I can't even imagine how horrible it must be.
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
That does sound really horrendous. Losing data is one of the worst things ever - I remember we discussed a while back about the different ways to protect data. This is not, in any way, a "I told you so", but just in the future it might be a good idea to backup somewhere online (edit: I had to learn this by being burned a couple of times too, although not at the level it appears you have been). I'd say I hope you can get your data back, but I suspect that's rather futile. Instead, I hope you can move on from this disaster with as little difficulty as possible.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch! I'm so sorry!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I had nearly tera terrabyte of data stored Jhai. There is no way to back up that much data on line.

I had two backup drives. Both were stolen.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
This happened to me a couple of years ago. The only thing I never expected was to physically lose all the data storage. I bring my backups home now, but have nowhere near the amount of data you describe.

Importantly, though, secure all your online accounts before they are accessed.

Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

I know of a few sites, actually, that do. They do cost money, though.

Either way, it's not getting your data back. Losing that much in one go is... unimaginable, really. Or something I would not wish to imagine. You truly have my sympathies.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
That's horrible. So sorry, Rabbit. [Frown]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, that sucks. [Frown]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
That really sucks.

Re: backup, I'm assuming you mean around a single terabyte. Backing that much up would cost around $1800 a year in fees on Amazon's S3, plus the odd bit of transfer costs (probably less than a hundred dollars a year, since the transfer costs are priced for people serving large amounts of data).

And it would be tiny by the sorts of scales they often deal in. Let me know if you'd like some information on how you might set up a backup system like that.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
You have my deepest sympathies. I cannot imagine how that must feel. It almost makes me want to do monthly backups to external drives and put them in a safe deposit box...
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Couldnt you rent a server farm (like for webhosting) and back up onto that? Some have unlimited HD space.

And I'm sorry for your loss Rabit, I don't know what I would do, I think I would cry.

A possibility is in the future have a special program inbedded into your root that calls home ie sends an email to police with current location if its stolen.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne: none of them that say they have unlimited HD space actually do. There are restrictions in the TOS that put explicit or implicit limits on the HD space that can effectively be used.

There are, however, options.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear of it. You must feel violated and angry. I hope you have closure on it and feel safe at some point soon.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry Rabbit. I hope that somehow you can get back as much of that stuff as possible. I truly sympathize. [Frown]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, that's terrible. I am so sorry; I know this will have repercussions for quite some time. Are you still in . . . was it Trinidad?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate how what is simply cash to a thief can be so personal to the owner, and that likely doesn't even factor in the decision of the thief. The real crime is the theft of your personal data, not the theft of your metal-and-plastic.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry, but at least you weren't hurt. Did this happen while you are at home or away?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez, Rabbit. I'm sorry. That's scary and awful. I don't know anything about what the law enforcement situation in T&T is like, but I hope your things are recovered.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that Rabbit. Our apartment was robbed in December, so I can at least relate to the invasive experience. I can't imagine losing that much work, though.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so terrible. I hope there's some ghost of a chance of recovering it. I'm very sorry for your ordeal, and for the loss of your data. That really sucks.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry. What a terrible violation- 8 homes! I hope the perp is caught.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude that sucks [Frown]

But really, robbing 8 homes what's he gonna do with all that stuff?

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mocke
Member # 11963

- posted      Profile for Mocke           Edit/Delete Post 
T:Man
Pawn. or auction. Probably wasn't just one guy though. Robbing a home doesn't take that long once you know what is valuable, however to do eight without being noticed at any time of day is a bit of a feat.

Sorry Rabbit, that bites. Any leads on the idiots who did it?

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Rabbit))) That's a lot of data, equivalent to years of your life that have been stolen, I imagine.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
My sympathies. I hope profoundly that you get your data back.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, I would rather lose my car than my data. I'm so sorry.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beleaguered
Member # 11983

- posted      Profile for beleaguered           Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes!!!! That's terrible news, Rabbit. I'm sorry this happened to you. Your encounter makes me think to buy a safe that is either too heavy for the average thief, or that is physically attached to the house somehow. Those safes are expensive, but I'm sure you'd agree now any price would be acceptable when it comes to so much information. You can also put money in there too.
Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
They stole all our computers and the backup drives. I lost several years of data for my research, papers I'm writing, a proposal that was due today, student grades, blah blah blah.

>_<
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
How horrible! I don't know what I'd do if I lost my data. I'm so, so sorry.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

The police have found our stuff!! Unbelievable!! They recovered most of the stuff stolen late Friday night. I got a call this morning to go in and identify my stuff. They didn't recover everything but they did recover both my computer and my husbands and the hard drive with the complete set of data.

The most amazing part of this story is that the stuff was all found in what the police described as a computer lab and I imagine was more a kind of chop shop for stolen electronics. All the other computers stolen from our neighborhood (and there were quite a few) had had the hard disks reformated. Ours and my externals were the only ones left in tact.

They are currently photographing all the stuff for evidence. They arrested a couple people and I will have to go to court someday but I should have my stuff back by noon tomorrow.

Corwin
Member # 5705

Wow... That's some amazing luck! [Smile]

Too bad for the others though...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats so cool, you must be really lucky.....
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
! Congratulations! That's fantastic news.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

If you are interested. here is the article on the robbery that got published in Saturday's paper. This was prior to the news that the stolen property had been recovered. The article is mostly accurate. We don't have a security guard and our apartments aren't posh, they are very middle class even in Trinidad. But aside from those a few minor errors, they got the big picture right and didn't even badly misquote me.
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
That is awesome and dang lucky!
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]

Get those cops a cake!
Glad you got your data back, Rabbit!

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
wow! A happy ending! [Smile]
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
The police have found our stuff!! Unbelievable!! They recovered most of the stuff stolen late Friday night. I got a call this morning to go in and identify my stuff. They didn't recover everything but they did recover both my computer and my husbands and the hard drive with the complete set of data.

The most amazing part of this story is that the stuff was all found in what the police described as a computer lab and I imagine was more a kind of chop shop for stolen electronics. All the other computers stolen from our neighborhood (and there were quite a few) had had the hard disks reformated. Ours and my externals were the only ones left in tact.

They are currently photographing all the stuff for evidence. They arrested a couple people and I will have to go to court someday but I should have my stuff back by noon tomorrow.

Awesome! Is that all of your stuff?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Wait is your name Hangloo or are you Tyler?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Not all my stuff but all the most important stuff. I'm still missing a cell phone, the second backup drive, a soprano recorder, my husbands wallet and likely a few other things.

But they recovered the irreplaceable data so the other things don't matter right now.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:

We are hoping stuff will still be recoverable from my neighbors computers once we get them into expert hands. Keep your fingers.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Wait is your name Hangloo or are you Tyler?

It's a heart ache.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, I'm so glad to hear that your data was intact. And it's pretty impressive what recovery programs can do -- I know someone who managed to recover a fair amount of data from a formatted hard drive using some relatively inexpensive software. So here's hoping your neighbors' stuff can be restored as well.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:

We are hoping stuff will still be recoverable from my neighbors computers once we get them into expert hands. Keep your fingers.
:fingers crossed: [Smile]

I keep forgetting how unerasable our digital traces are...

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Woo. The question is: were they not reformatted due to lucky timing, or had the thieves left your stuff unformatted because they looked at it and thought some of the stuff contained within was valuable?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

YAY! That's great!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.