FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » robbed and reeling (now returned and rejoicing) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: robbed and reeling (now returned and rejoicing)
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I keep forgetting how unerasable our digital traces are...
That's why there are also programs for erasing drives when you want to make sure the data is gone. As far as I know, they write stuff onto the drive repeatedly.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that our computers weren't reformatted yet because they were Macs and the others were all windows machines. I don't know if they just started with the windows machines and hadn't got to the Macs yet or if they didn't have the software on hand to reformat the Macs. The external drive could have been reformatted in windows, but I guess they just hadn't got to it yet.

Either way, we are very lucky the police found them so fast.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
Rabbit, I'm so glad to hear that your data was intact. And it's pretty impressive what recovery programs can do -- I know someone who managed to recover a fair amount of data from a formatted hard drive using some relatively inexpensive software. So here's hoping your neighbors' stuff can be restored as well.

What she said. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
quote:
I keep forgetting how unerasable our digital traces are...
That's why there are also programs for erasing drives when you want to make sure the data is gone. As far as I know, they write stuff onto the drive repeatedly.
Yeah, fully re-writing the hard-disk should to the trick, making sure it's actually trying to write in each possible location.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
In case you are interest, here is an article on the recovery from today's paper.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
That's fantastic, so glad to hear you have your data and equipment!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mocke
Member # 11963

- posted      Profile for Mocke           Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo!
Glad you got your stuff back!

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so great! I'm really pleased that you didn't lose your lifetime of work. Time to burn a bunch of DVDs or something. Man, that was so lucky!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be a freaking lot of DVDs.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you were able to get back so much more than you were expecting! I'm sure the feeling of relief exceeds the frustration you must have been feeling days ago. [Smile]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
Right on Rabbit! 8)
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. Like a total eclipse of the heart.
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like holding out for a hero worked.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
That's fantastic news, Rabbit. I'm glad to hear it.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Looks like holding out for a hero worked.

[Big Grin]
beleaguered
Member # 11983

- posted      Profile for beleaguered           Edit/Delete Post 
Great news! Congratulations for entering the we've been robbed but we got our stuff back club.
You know, thieves are pretty terrible people. How can someone look at themselves in the mirror, after having stolen something they knew was valuable even personal to another?
Thievery creates trust issues- since anyone known to have been a thief must work extra hard to gain a person's trust.
Thievery also causes an inflation on product prices from merchants, since the act of taking something from a store shelf also takes the would-be profits from the merchant, causing the merchant to raise the price all all the other like items to balance things out.
They are terrible and selfish people!

Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent news.

I can barely imagine what it would feel like to lose all my data.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Good news. Thanks for the link to the article.

I like the phrase "identification parades."

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.