FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, "Dollhouse" is a pretty bad show (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So, "Dollhouse" is a pretty bad show
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
Why is this show so bad?

Is it because of the weak premise that doesn't seem to be able to sustain a whole show? "There is a organization that rents out programmable people, and one of them will wake up and stop the injustice, even though she chose to be part of the program."

Is it unfair to compare the quality of any episode of Dollhouse so far to that of, say, "Jaynestown" or "Out of Gas" in Firefly? Is Whedon afraid to put his heart into another show that might get canceled until he's *sure* it'll be around for a bit?

What exactly does Whedon hope the audience to stick around for given that he (and his writers) haven't delivered any worthwhile storytelling so far? All we've had is the promise of good storytelling..."Alpha! Dollhouses around the world!" So what?

I remember when this show was announced...Whedon said the idea for it came to him on a lunch-date with Dushku, and they decided right there and then to proceed with it. I wish he had thought about it longer than that.

Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
And this needed it's own thread....why?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped after episode 2.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:

Why not?
Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
I stopped after episode 2.

I wish I did too.

=(

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of enjoying it. Not fantastic, but entertaining enough.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clive Candy:
quote:

Why not?
Because there's already a lengthy thread on the front page of this very forum discussing this very topic in-depth. Just off the top of my head, that's one reason why not.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
There is already a thread dedicated to Dollhouse, in which I've stated many times that I love the show and don't understand why it's getting so much negativity. I haven't been over there today because I didn't get a chance to watch last night's episode yet.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
A bad show? No, not by a long shot. It's not the greatest thing that I've ever seen, but it's better than A LOT of the forgettable crap that gets aired and sometimes even escapes cancellation.

I think that it's getting a lot of negativity because of Whedon's reputation and the resulting very high expectations that the show generated before it aired. I can't help but think that if Dollhouse was created by anyone else it would get a lot less criticism.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Seconding the question of why this needed it's own thread.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ego?

Just a guess.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Or he didn't see the other one.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Naw, he posted in it.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
quote:
quote:

Why not?
Because there's already a lengthy thread on the front page of this very forum discussing this very topic in-depth. Just off the top of my head, that's one reason why not.
I am aware of that thread, and I generally think it's rude to go into lengthy threads dedicated to particular shows just to piss on those shows. Good luck on policing the forum though.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Because, after all, expressing confusion or disapproval on a matter of thread etiquette is equivalent to policing the forum?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
This is such a joke. It's okay to have numerous stupid dobie threads (which mind you, can't even bother to have a link anymore), or 400 medical mayflys (let's discuss my vomit, please!) but some doesn't feel like wading into an 8 page thread and we leap all over them?

God forbid someone participate without spending a month reading up on the past history.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's a stupid thread because these exact issues are being discussed in the main thread. There's nothing here that hasn't been addressed in the other thread.

quote:
Clive Candy:
I generally think it's rude to go into lengthy threads dedicated to particular shows just to piss on those shows.

From the other thread (just two examples):

quote:
I thought it was a trainwreck. Unbelievable and poorly constructed through and through. The flashbacks were horribly written and acted.
quote:
I just finished watching last night's episode -- worst so far.
And then we proceed to discuss the show. That's what discussions are for, and that what the main thread is for.

And for the record, I think most Dobies are pointless and ignore most mayflies.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

^Those are examples of people deriding a specific episode, not the show as a whole. Everyone needs to stop acting so uptight.
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Because, after all, expressing confusion or disapproval on a matter of thread etiquette is equivalent to policing the forum?

I think so. You people seem palpably angry, like someone eager to police would be.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Clive, your original post here would have fit perfectly well in the original thread. Your post would be countered by those who like the show and disagreed with you, and you would have support from those that shared your views.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

^I am not a fan of "Lost." I would not go into the "Lost" thread to talk about why I feel that show fails, because I think that might be rude to the fans that follow that thread. On the other hand, if I created a thread about why I feel "Lost" sucks, I would be pounced on by the thread police.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Except the other Dollhouse thread is ALREADY filled with people who hate the show. It's seriously split about 50/50.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
^Those are examples of people deriding a specific episode, not the show as a whole. Everyone needs to stop acting so uptight.

I think so. You people seem palpably angry, like someone eager to police would be.

Please, by all means, can you cite a single post in this thread that is 'palpably angry'? Or even uptight?

"Why didn't you post this to the thread discussing the show you mention?" is an uptight question? Well, I guess 'uptight' is subjective.

quote:
On the other hand, if I created a thread about why I feel "Lost" sucks, I would be pounced on by the thread police.
You haven't been pounced on by anyone. You're reading a lot that just isn't there.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

If you just popped in the thread and yelled "DOLLHOUSE SUCKS!", that would be rude. But, if you had reasons and explanations and good questions, like you do in your OP here, then you would become part of the discussion.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those are examples of people deriding a specific episode, not the show as a whole. Everyone needs to stop acting so uptight.

Please, tell me more about how we as a forum should act. Draw from your wealth of experience about how the community behaves and instruct us with your wisdom. I eagerly awake the waves of knowledge that will surely spill from your consciousness. Let post #27 be as apt, as prescient, and and useful as posts #1-26*.

*I don't have any recollection of any posts prior to whatever post started this thread. I realize that's an incomplete sample size. I still feel good about my read, though.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why not?
I am aware of that thread, and I generally think it's rude to go into lengthy threads dedicated to particular shows just to piss on those shows. Good luck on policing the forum though.
I must say, I'm not familiar with Clive, or the other thread currently going on, but I do know that when someone comes into a thread where people are discussing a tv show they like or something along those lines and that person just bad mouths the topic, everyone jumps on that person. And many a time i've seen those people tell the person to go start another thread. I have to agree with his stance here. Again, i'm not familiar with his posts in the other thread, so i'm working off incomplete information.

On another note, if you don't care for his thread, don't post in it. Life will thus be happier for everyone. It just seems like a waste of time and effort to post in someone's thread to tell them you don't see a point in their decision to start their thread.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Yet it seems to be worth your time to tell me it's not worth my time to do precisely what you're doing. Yeah, I'm gonna pass. I'm also going to continue to offer advice to newbies about the status quo here.

They're free to ignore the voice(s) of experience, but at least this way we know they've heard them.

Of course, people who don't care about the forums will always chime in and say, "Just leave them alone!" Which is their prerogative. I'll continue to ignore them, because they're idiots. Which is my prerogative.

Clive Candy
Member # 11977

^I saw the former version of your post, in which you referred to the post your responding to as "boneheaded."

Yea, there is definitely some anger here.

Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Buffy was so much more intricate than Dollhouse.

*cough*

Give me a break.

The Joss Whedon formula = Interesting Concept + Unconventional Solutions + Witty Joss-esque Dialogue.

I don't know him too well. But an 'amazing' storytelling experience isn't exactly what I expect from this guy.

I like most of the characters. That's about all I really need.

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty surprised we got a "man I hate dollhouse" thread before a "man I hate heroes" thread or a "man I hate lost" thread
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
[qb] And this needed it's own thread....why?

Why not?
Because there's already a lengthy thread on the front page of this very forum discussing this very topic in-depth. Just off the top of my headt's rude to go into lengthy threads dedicated to particular shows just to piss on those shows. Good luck on policing the forum though.
I'd cuff and gag you just based on that comment. You have the right to start a new thread, regardless of how reduddant it is.....but others have the right to post whatever they want (pretty much) in it.

Get over yourself.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, at the end of the day, does it really matter whether Clive here wanted a second thread or not? It seems ridiculous to make that the point of this thread.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
^I saw the former version of your post, in which you referred to the post your responding to as "boneheaded."

Yea, there is definitely some anger here.

Who are you talking to here?

And no, referring to something as boneheaded does not mean that the person doing so is angry.

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's face it. This time, Whedon laid an egg. And it's not one of those face-hugger eggs from Alien, either.

Bring back Firefly!

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
And no, referring to something as boneheaded does not mean that the person doing so is angry.
quote:
No, but I must admit it is still mean spirited. I think it's fair for Clive to feel jumped on in this thread.

Ordinarily, yes, if you rant about hating a show in a thread dedicated to that show, you WILL get jumped on. It's only in this particular circumstance that we have a TV show where people already are divided as to loving or hating it.

But as this thread demonstrates, you're even more likely to get jumped for making a duplicate thread. (I'm actually kinda glad this thread became a discussion of the etiquette of create new threads, rather than a continuation of the exact same discussion going on elsewhere).

What lesson Clive decides to take from all that is up to him.

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really see why "Hey Clive, there's already a thread dedicated to this show. At Hatrack, proper etiquette is usually to try and keep redundant threads down to a minimum. Welcome to the forum, by the way." wouldn't have been better.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Bring back Firefly!

Agreed. LOL
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:

Dobies are an art form. One that's not to everyone's taste.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:

Dobies are an art form. One that's not to everyone's taste.
Maybe some are.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I doubt it, but that's the point of art. It's highly individual. [Wink]
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Bring back Firefly!

Agreed. LOL
Now if you want to talk about a truly awful show, I'd say Firefly is right at the top of my list. Ugh!
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
<blink> Huh?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Wha?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Pretty surprised we got a "man I hate dollhouse" thread before a "man I hate heroes" thread or a "man I hate lost" thread

Actually most Heroes threads seem to be "man I hate Heroes" threads, they just don't say it in the title. [Cool]
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I was pretty clear. Firefly was God-awful. I don't care how many people say it's cool, I couldn't stay awake through a single episode, and I tried 3 times at the insistence that it really did get good. I rank it among the worst shows ever.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine, I wonder if you'd be willing to make a more detailed diagnosis, since so many people (and, I'd venture, a large majority of Hatrackers who have seen it) found it to be a really good show. If it just comes down to "I kept falling asleep", I suppose there's nothing more to add, but I wonder if you found parts of it off putting, amateurish, etc...because "God-awful" sounds worse than "boring" to me. Just curious (and kind of fascinated).
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
(I almost think that Christine is just testing the theory that if people say something contrary to popular opinion on these forums they get attacked. But even if not, I'm interested in why she thought it was 'God-Awful.')
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the first episode was a bit boring.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
When I tried to watch Firefly on Fox, I found it confusing, like I was watching a show from the middle. [Smile] Of course, that might be because I was. Watching it on sci-fi (or shoudl that be syfy?), it seemed like a whole different show.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Re: Christine and Firefly - Everyone's entitled to their opinion. For instance, some people defend Eragon or Davinci Code to the death, and they both make my brain want to run screaming from the room.

I'm not going to discuss Dollhouse here, though, simply because I don't want to have two conversations going on about the same thing. I'll keep my comments about the show in one place.

To me this is not a thread about Dollhouse, but instead a thread about thread consolidation - which I support. [Smile]

To many message boards I frequent have two, three, five, nine threads all trying to discuss the same thing. I appreciate that Hatrack posters generally seek out existing threads to post in, so you don't have to scavenge all over the site to discuss a single topic.

So, while I respect Clive's opinion, I'm not going to discuss it in this thread.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.