FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, "Dollhouse" is a pretty bad show (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So, "Dollhouse" is a pretty bad show
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I fell off for a few days. I wish I could add more about Firefly but honestly, it's now been at least 3 years since I made my attempt to watch it and I have pretty much purged it from my memory. I only remember feeling bored and also feelings of dislike towards most of the characters.

I think my point was just that any show is going to have people who love it and people who hate it. It also seems that people who really liked Firefly seem to dislike Dollhouse. Since I disliked FIrefly and like Dollhouse, it may be that we're looking for different thigns in a show.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
If you started with the pilot - or tried watching it on TV when it first airred, then I don't wonder why. The pilot honestly was by far the worst episode, and I didn't actually enjoy it that much. Also long. It gets really amazing about 5 episodes in - but as with almost all Joss shows you have to slog through the first 3 or 4 till you get to know the characters better and start liking them and then suddenly it becomes wonderful.

But I think it's better to watch Firefly with a bunch of people who know and like the show the first time to watch it. They'll force you to stay awake for the first couple of slow episodes and before you know it, you're hooked [Smile]

...and then you find out they cancelled it after only 16 [Frown]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
See, I thought the real pilot - 'Serenity Part I and II' - was one of the best pilots I've ever seen for a new show. But 'the Train Job,' which is what Fox aired as the first pilot, is the weakest episode in the show.

quote:
...and then you find out they cancelled it after only 16 [Frown]
There were only 14. [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
White Whale, you're in the minority, I think. Most new watchers prefer The Train Job, because it's more of a crash course than the first episode.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Pilot and the Train Job. Honestly, I was completely hooked after maybe half the first episode. I've watched the whole series several times.

I don't currently have cable, however, and so I haven't seen any Dollhouse.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Dollhouse is on fox, not cable. Also, you can check out the most recent ones on hulu. I do almost all my tv viewing online now.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
What I really liked the real pilot it that you got some backstory of Mal and Zoe, decent introductions for Book and Simon and River, a good representation of how Jayne's character was from the get go, an introduction to the reavers, to the outer worlds, to the inner worlds, to the lifestyle of Inara, and what I think was a good representation of the style of the show.

The Train Job was more action packed, I guess, but less deep, with much less character introduction / development.

And the people I've shown it to have fallen for it during the pilot. (Although it may have helped that I had 'Finding Serenity' and was able to translate the Chinese phrases)

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
I love the Pilot and the Train Job. Honestly, I was completely hooked after maybe half the first episode. I've watched the whole series several times.

I don't currently have cable, however, and so I haven't seen any Dollhouse.

I haven't had cable (or satellite) in over 2 years. Don't miss it a bit. There is such a thing as broadcast (though I am constantly amused by the people who don't seem to realize this) and also there's the internet, which re-airs an awful lot of shows (legally) the next day. GO to www.hulu.com and check out their list sometime.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I haven't had satellite service in about 4 years, now, and I don't miss it either. Between Netflix, hulu, and Comedy Central's posting of both The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, there is very little that I want to see that I'm not able to.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.