FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Girlfriend Amazes Me (She Built a Bed)

Author Topic: My Girlfriend Amazes Me (She Built a Bed)
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend and I just graduated from college and moved into a two bedroom apartment with my college roommate for the summer. We moved in last weekend and are still trying to unpack and settle in for the summer.

Our bed for the moment is a single futon mattress donated by my mom. We have no frame, no futon and no box spring to go with it. We're trying to conserve money so we didn't really want to go buy a bed for it. Plus there is a futon frame at home to go with it that has our name on it but that we can't afford to transport from Indiana where it is to New York where we are. We could scour Craigslist until a sufficiently cheap old bed frame comes up, or wait and see if one pops up on the Albany area Freecycle.

But instead of doing that, my girlfriend decided to build one. Her job doesn't start till next week, so she has all day to work on it. I came home from work night before last to find that she had already written up a diagram and figured out the dimensions. Together we figured out what equipment we'd need and headed over to the local hardware store. It cost about $150 all told to get the tools and lumber and such. Of that about $50 was tools that we will, hopefully, reuse.

Yesterday I came home to discover the bed was pretty much complete. She'd called her friend from the next town over and the two of them had build it during the course of the day. She'd assembled five frames that could be arranged to form the base of the bed, leaving lots of room to store stuff under the bed. She used 4"x8" to build it, with the intention that the sides of it can double as a book shelf.

After I got home we carried the pieces upstairs and assembled then, and then placed a piece of plywood over the top. The result is really cool and provides excellent storage. It's the perfect height too. We slept on it last night for the first time. The frames didn't even need to be secured together (though we intend to secure them together eventually) and it worked great! It looks amazing too. My girlfriend is amazing [Smile]

I'll try and post pictures as soon as I get some.

[ May 21, 2009, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
That is totally amazing [Smile]

Does your girlfriend have a lot of experience with wordworking or was she just able to figure out how to do it?

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! My brother and I did the same thing a couple of months ago. He and his wife needed a new bed - we got wood for Home Depot, and put it together!

He was going more for style than function, so it was a platform bed. Kinda low to the ground, but really sheik and cool looking. It was a lot of fun, and we felt like big men afterward. There was beer and much grunting.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
Does your girlfriend have a lot of experience with wordworking or was she just able to figure out how to do it?
No experience doing it. She just grew up with a very do-it-yourself mom. She pretty much figured it all out from scratch.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Are women similarly impressed if their boyfriends build things? I must admit, I've never known a woman to do any carpentry other than making picture frames, so I'd be impressed if my wife did something like this. I'm just not sure how sexist that makes me. [Wink]

By the way, 4"x8" sounds like an improbably large cross section for lumber to be used for beds, shelving or most any furniture. And too short in both dimensions to be anything other than a cross section.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Actually it was 2x8, sorry. But yeah, 2x10 would have been better for a bookshelf (the intended use of the cross section) - but that would have been out of our price range. So we'll make do with trying to balance our books [Smile]
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are women similarly impressed if their boyfriends build things?
Yes, we are!
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
quote:
Are women similarly impressed if their boyfriends build things?
Yes, we are!
I agree! [Smile]

This doesn't count as carpentry in the least, but I, the female in the relationship, do very well with do-it-yourself furniture whereas my fiance is clueless. Of course, he's got other WOW qualities and can afford to be lax there. [Wink]

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
really sheik
Heehee.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought for YEARS that sheiks must have really good taste, since people used their title as a synonym for "stylish." [Wink]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, good so far, but have you given the bed a really thorough field-test? You shouldn't praise its excellence before you know whether it'll collapse under vigorous activity.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.