FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's happened to Hatrack! (Page 9)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: What's happened to Hatrack!
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
So? If someone behaves like spambuster does, ever, they don't get to pawn responsibility for it off on 'the community.'

And it is pretty much impossible to expect people to not respond. People should be allowed to respond and they shouldn't be berated for taking someone like spambuster up on his claims and accusations. There is nothing wrong with it.

(which is thankful, because no forum can be realistically expected to respond to someone like spambuster with complete silence, and anyone who advocates it is expecting the nigh-impossible)

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Let facts and manners speak for themselves, if you feel you must respond. If you cannot reply in a respectful, mannerly, and fact-based way, then kindly refrain. Don't allow yourself to be provoked. I thought Tom's approach was a healthy way to deal with spambuster's posts.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So? If someone behaves like spambuster does, ever, they don't get to pawn responsibility for it off on 'the community.'
Not sure why you feel like that's happening. First, no one is pawning responsibility for his behavior off on the community - not sure why you feel like they have. Second, I'm a third party commentator in this situtation, so the "If someone does X, they don't get to Y" doesn't apply.

quote:
And it is pretty much impossible to expect people to not respond. People should be allowed to respond and they shouldn't be berated for taking someone like spambuster up on his claims and accusations. There is nothing wrong with it.
I apologize that you feel berated by my drawing parallels between reactions to an invading troll and reactions between members of the community.

Too often on this board, conversation starts much like that thread did. I don't think anyone here really would jump to spambuster's defense (note that I am not), but there are many examples where someone comes into a thread with a serious topic about which they feel very strongly and are met with the same reaction.

quote:
(which is thankful, because no forum can be realistically expected to respond to someone like spambuster with complete silence, and anyone who advocates it is expecting the nigh-impossible)
Spambuster isn't the issue. This thread was started (and contributed to by several people) under the premise that members of the hatrack community are treating each other in much the same way as that invading troll. Hostility, mockery, etc.

I honestly don't care about spambuster. But I've seen just as hostile and reactionary behavior in threads about global warming, atheism, abortion, gay marriage, Israel, etc.

In the so-called "Golden Age" of hatrack, spambuster would have been made a joke of similary (much like UniversePeople was). That's not my point. My point is that jatraqueros frequently get the same treatment nowadays, which I don't feel was the case in the past.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not sure why you feel like that's happening. First, no one is pawning responsibility for his behavior off on the community - not sure why you feel like they have
What? That's exactly what spambuster spent over a page and a half unambiguously doing. Every time he was asked why he was being so insulting, his response was to say, essentially, that it was 'our' doing.

that's what I'm talking about.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Ah... see, I started skimming that thread after the first half of the first page, and abandoned it entirely shortly after. It just wasn't worth the energy.

I had assumed your comments were about this thread, where I don't feel as though anyone is doing that.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. Skimming and assumption is my realm! [Mad]
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Well, skimming and abandoning threads has started to become the norm for me lately, since most threads on serious topics devolve into the same level of hostility that the 200 years thread did.

As for assumption, I was only really going on what has been said in this thread, though I understand I opened the door to the other thread so comments made there were fair game.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Achilles:
Hey. Skimming and assumption is my realm! [Mad]

*skims and assumes Achilles*
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
^----- Jon Borg
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

We are assimilating you into this high quality collective
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
^----- Jon Borg

[Big Grin]

I don't know why I never thought of that one before. If these were the old days of registering superfluous screen names, I'd be sorely tempted right now.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Let facts and manners speak for themselves, if you feel you must respond. If you cannot reply in a respectful, mannerly, and fact-based way, then kindly refrain. Don't allow yourself to be provoked."

And above all, "Don't worry, rationality isn't known to be habit forming."

[ June 28, 2009, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this thread got historical all of a sudden.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... if a quote belongs in this thread, how about this one:

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster."
— Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

"P.S. god is dead lol"
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
So much for civility.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.