FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » KINGS

Author Topic: KINGS
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all!
Sorry for my long absence... lost my job six months back and couldn't afford internet connection. Unemployment in Michigan is around 16% and in metro Detroit it's up to 25%... very dire here. Finally have a crappy job, but it's enough so I don't starve, though I had to pull out my retirement money to save my home.

ANYWAY... I didn't see a thread about the cool show "Kings" on NBC, so here we go!

What a great series. If you havent' checked it out got to this link and watch all of first season for free on Hulu.

Kings - pilot episode

It's about what America might be like with an absolute monarchy instead of our current democratic republic. Set about 100 years in the future after a series of global wars, the USA is no more, replaced by various new kingdoms and republics in the ashes of what was. Set loosely to the Biblical tale of the rise of King David.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
They hadnt mentioned the time-lapse in any ads Ive seen, I had missunderstood the American monarchy idea. I might follow your reccomendation knowing that.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see you, Telp. [Smile]

Sorry to hear about the tough times in Michigan, but I'm glad to hear that you've at least got a job.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
What would Hatrack be without a crappy search function and a thread for every subject?
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh...I did a search and nothing came up. Oh well.
[Smile]
I gave a new link at least. [Wink]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
You realize Kings has already run its course and been canceled, right?
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
And that the writer said that it is NOT based on America?

"Some of that promotion gave the misleading impression that the nation of Gilboa was somehow tied to American history. This was never part of the show's premise or execution in any way."

http://www.courthistorian.com/2009/07/the-new-king-part-2.php

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to have you back Telp! Someone has to represent the D around here. [Smile]

quote:
Unemployment in Michigan is around 16% and in metro Detroit it's up to 25%... very dire here
Yeah, seriously. My situation isn't nearly as dire as yours was, but my job, which had been 20-25 hours a week has been cut to around 6 hours a week, and half of that is only because a nice manager at work sneaks me some hours when the AGM isn't looking. I pray things pick back up when the summer is over. If any major financial crisis comes along, I'm screwed six ways from Sunday.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
You realize Kings has already run its course and been canceled, right?

Yes, but, like Firefly, should still be checked out!

And there are rumors that they might do a second season after all. *crosses fingers*

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
And that the writer said that it is NOT based on America?

"Some of that promotion gave the misleading impression that the nation of Gilboa was somehow tied to American history. This was never part of the show's premise or execution in any way."

http://www.courthistorian.com/2009/07/the-new-king-part-2.php

It's not based ON America, but IN (North)America.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Glad to have you back Telp! Someone has to represent the D around here. [Smile]

quote:
Unemployment in Michigan is around 16% and in metro Detroit it's up to 25%... very dire here
Yeah, seriously. My situation isn't nearly as dire as yours was, but my job, which had been 20-25 hours a week has been cut to around 6 hours a week, and half of that is only because a nice manager at work sneaks me some hours when the AGM isn't looking. I pray things pick back up when the summer is over. If any major financial crisis comes along, I'm screwed six ways from Sunday.
I feel ya baby.
Stay strong!!
We totally need to hang one of these days.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.