FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Blayne's Anime Review&Discussion Megathread (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Blayne's Anime Review&Discussion Megathread
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Tema...? Temari? The girl with the wind fan? I must not have seen something but all I've seen her do is have a few different wind attacks.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished When They Cry season 1 with the Mrs. I gotta say, I really don't like that method of storytelling, it's impossible to say what REALLY happened because as far as the show's concerned any of those things could have happened.

And criminey it took forever for it to go anywhere. There were maybe three episodes where I was like, wow that's pretty intense, but there were so many other episodes where it's like "Oh look, here's a story that isn't going to go anywhere and it will abruptly end."

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I spent about a week or so watching it, at least your not waiting on each episode.

The point is by the end of season 1 we know its a endless 1 month timeloop (like Endless 8) I actually drew a chart and kept track of the plot details.

Its based on visual novels so its divided between question arcs and answer arcs that explain everything.

I think about 50% of the plot you can figure out from the first season.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Tema...? Temari? The girl with the wind fan? I must not have seen something but all I've seen her do is have a few different wind attacks.

Yes, and let's compare this to what we've seen the other Naruto women do:

Tenten: Get her ass handed to her on occasion.
Sakura: Well, okay, she did beat Sasori with Chiyo's help. But as far as eugenics go, she's got nothin'.
Ino: Be a hindrance more than a help while fighting Kakuzu.
Hinata: Jump out in time to get the crap slapped out of her by Nagato.

Let's face it; ALL of Kishi's women are underdeveloped. At least Temari can summon. At least she can actually win a battle on her own now and then. Plus, Naruto and Temari both have the fact that they're children of past Kages going for them.

I'm just musing, here. I would never actually ship Naru/Tema.

[ September 26, 2009, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I've never seen her abilities though past the Chuunin exam does the anime go more into her detail?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you asking me to spoil you? [Smile] While still a genin, Temari beats Tayuya, the sound kuniochi, by herself. And she does it using a jutsu that tears down an entire section of the forest. IMO, you'd have to be a chakra powerhouse to pull that one off. And that battle is in the manga. And, yes, we see that she has an animal summoning.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
Are you asking me to spoil you? [Smile] While still a genin, Temari beats Tayuya, the sound kuniochi, by herself. And she does it using a jutsu that tears down an entire section of the forest. IMO, you'd have to be a chakra powerhouse to pull that one off. And that battle is in the manga. And, yes, we see that she has an animal summoning.

I've seen as far as I think the battle vs Hidan and the other guy in Shipuuden and lost track of it from there, I simply forgot that she fought one of those mutant ninjas.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Ah. Sorry if I sounded condescending in any way. I just assume everyone in the world is as obsessed with Naruto as I am. [Smile]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I spent about a week or so watching it, at least your not waiting on each episode.

The point is by the end of season 1 we know its a endless 1 month timeloop (like Endless 8) I actually drew a chart and kept track of the plot details.

Its based on visual novels so its divided between question arcs and answer arcs that explain everything.

I think about 50% of the plot you can figure out from the first season.

It's just not worth it to me.

Besides, the next Samurai 7 dvd came in the mail, and I just finished watching it, I'm pretty happy with that series so far, and I know it has to get better.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Then your losing out on an awesome thriller horror series. It speeds up along during season 2.

Also, all of those things in the first season DID happen its a timeloop when Rika dies she with Hanyuu goes to a different parallel world at the beginning of the month, the events just transpire elsewhere... or do they? As Keichii and Co get flashes to the events of previous arcs.

There's just something tragically awesome about a series that has a 9 year old drinking wine to get drunk to drown her sorrows.

To me I like long running series in the 50 episode range.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Baseball episode in Champloo! With surprisingly good english.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I reiterate that ANYTHING and EVERYTHING produced by Studio Ghibli is automatically a good movie, they might not always hold my interest through and through but damn they are good.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

[Wall Bash]

You and I have very different ideas of what is "good." In terms of entertainment, I tend to think that "good" means "entertaining," at least to some degree.

But I've never made it through a Studio Ghibli release, or, if I have I don't remember what happened. Weird? Yes. Fantastical? Sure. Good? Ehh...I'd have to beg to differ.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
[Wall Bash]

You and I have very different ideas of what is "good." In terms of entertainment, I tend to think that "good" means "entertaining," at least to some degree.

But I've never made it through a Studio Ghibli release, or, if I have I don't remember what happened. Weird? Yes. Fantastical? Sure. Good? Ehh...I'd have to beg to differ.

I am defining good as they are objectively good movies in terms of genius and filmaking. For example Tranformers is a bad movie but entertaining, Ghibli films I consider to be Good films though some are more entertaining then others.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I'm just saying that, in order to be classified as "good" in my eyes, a movie needs to be well-made and interesting.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished off Claymore. I was dissapointed, but I'll check it out if they keep the series going.

Samurai Champloo is watchable but pretty overrated.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck describing what "objectively good" means when it comes to art, Blayne.
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Watching Zero's Familiar a sort of Harry Potter meets.... D&D? Its pretty good, its funny and has the usual speculative Modern Urban and Fantasy crossover appeal that I've usually daydreamed about for years, ie what happens when a normal kid gets teleported into a fantasy medium magic setting? Oh and what happens when certain modern armaments end up transported with him? Awesome, thats what.

Seeing a Zero-sen fighter kick dragon ass made my day.

Gonna watch Full Metal Panic when its down downloading and will rewatch from the beginning InuYasha as I realized that the main female leads in both is voiced by the same person who did Mion/Shion in Higurashi.

Also gonna take a look at Kannagi as the idea of a Nun kicking criminal ass is too good to pass up.

Also gonna watch Boondocks (although western), its funny as hell.

Rented the Bebop movie, Blood the vampire and something or other.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

It doesn't meet D&D. It's just Harry Potter meets harem anime. D&D doesn't enter into Zero no Tsukaima/The Familiar of Zero at all.

One word, though: Horsewhip.

That's how you know the tsundere has too much tsuntsun. When she starts whipping the object of her affection with a whip.

Well, I mean, I see a lot of BDSM in Louise and Saito's future, but still...

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

well the mentions of bugbears and other specifically Wizards of the Coast IPs does sorta show you where the homages are going to. They have quite a bit of blink and you'll miss it moments.

Currently I have two alltime favorite scenes so far 1) the Zero-sen fighter kicking ass and 2) when in the second season when Siesta and Valliere crawl into the same bed and mistake each other for Saito.

Les Yay Hilarity Ensues.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Bugbears are not WotC IP.
They are a classic monster of legend. Seriously.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

So? I only saw them in the Monster Manual, its not like I wiki up every creature down the list to figure out their roots. As far as I know someone got drunk and came up with the idea.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Now on the other hand I am increasingly impressed by the growing Machiavellian nature of Princess Henrietta. I'm actually reading 'The Prince' and whats happening isn't too far off.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
The cowboy bebop movie is ****ing awesome.

I need to finish gungrave.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Um... Blayne?

To use the language you so love, you really should learn that this stuff is older than you think.

I mean, it's on your precious tvtropes! How could you forget something so important?!

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Um... Blayne?

To use the language you so love, you really should learn that this stuff is older than you think.

I mean, it's on your precious tvtropes! How could you forget something so important?!

Yes so? Doesn't negate what I say to be shoutouts.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Look, it's obviously fantasy inspired, but really, show me all these D&D shoutouts. I didn't see them, and I rather liked the series.

Even if there are a few shoutouts, that's a far cry from "equal parts Harry Potter and D&D". It just isn't anything like it.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Look, it's obviously fantasy inspired, but really, show me all these D&D shoutouts. I didn't see them, and I rather liked the series.

Even if there are a few shoutouts, that's a far cry from "equal parts Harry Potter and D&D". It just isn't anything like it.

I said its "Harry Potter meets... D&D" the '...' was to signify I was clawing at the air looking for the Y factor you didn't really have to jump on the phrase to correct me.

In any case I remember a reference to bugbears, orcs, dragons, griffons (proper griffons), fireball, etc to me it looked like a shoutout like Final Fantasy I was shouting out to D&D.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Now there's a Gimli reference! (Tolkien but still)
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

YES! A GERMAN 88 FLAK ANTI AIRCRAFT GUN! YES!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That's possibly the first incontrovertible D&D reference yet.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
That's possibly the first incontrovertible D&D reference yet.

huh? No, I was just saying a German 88 showed up in the anime and used to destroy a golem, which is awesome.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Which is clearly a D&D reference. [Wink]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Which is clearly a D&D reference. [Wink]

Actually if you broaden the definition to include that Polish Warsaw Uprising tabletop rpg which probably has an 88mm....
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

HAUU~! OMOCHIKAERI!

The whole scene in Full Metal Panic with the whole Bonta-kun riot squad scene is just so adorable. In a manly way of course...

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

hrrm, okay so I'm watching Full Metal Panic and is it just me or did Mithril commit like 3-4 separate acts of war against the Soviet Union in under like.... 2 months as a false flag operation to boot pretending to be some United Nations task force, a task force that to my understanding would need to be permitted by the UNSC and the UN Military Staff Committee, the latter hasn't met or had a single meeting since 1947 and the former... well one of them members IS the Soviet Union who most certaintly would not appreciate an armed incursion within their borders without permission in a blatant violation of their sovereignty.

Whats the use of the largest stockpile of nuclear warheads and active ICBMs if you dont use them as a deterrent to prevent this bullshit?

heck, where was the USSRs bloody SAM defence system when the VTOL aircraft and two really large transport planes outright flew in and landed at a Soviet airbase!?

Gah!? 2060's as well with the Soviet Union allegedly fully funding its R&D and military industrial complex to boot, this scenario makes LITTLE sense.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I AM IN DESPAIR?! THE WORLD IS MAKING ME DESPAIR!?
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

No, I'M in despair! overinflated fanboys who discover formerly funny memes two years late are leaving me in despair!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Incorrect, its called Mementic Mutation. And its still funny. If you didn't want me latching onto it now then you should've made sure to get me hooked onto the anime two years ago.

For reference to those who don't understand, the anime the quote is from is "Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei" or "Goodbye, Mr Despair" its hilarious and kinda has that "triped out on drugs" look some earlier tim burtonesque cartoons had.

Basically the teacher Nomori Itshuki is depressed, the world has left him depressed. And wants to hang him and almost does it until interrupted by a yandere genki girl who quickly complicates the matter and it turns out is his student in the homeroom class he teachers.

And it turns out everyone else in his class is psychotic and crazy from depressed attention seeker at "best" to...... well yandere "one day goin' snap and murder everyone" genki girl.

Has a hilarious shoutout to Death Note its blink and you'll miss it where Yogami actually signed the teachers name into it but Didn't succeed in keeping him dead!

Hilarious.

Oh and the teacher has a stalker.

~jiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Slightely annoying that I have to pass about every 10 seconds to catch the background snark.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Man. Tripe on drugs would be pretty horrifying.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

tripped?
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Blayne:

Here's the thing. It's two years old, we (by we I mean the anime community who keeps with the times) have heard it, then we heard it overused, and now it's tired and old.

Yes, it's a meme. But there's also such a thing as an overused gag, and the despair speech has definitely become overused.

I can think of another overused running gag, and incidentally it consists of your constant reference to tvtropes as your Bible. .

[Big Grin]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

except do a gag long enough it comes full circle and is funny again, y'know crossing the line twice.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

You're referencing the wrong concept.

And though I threw lots of snark in my last post, I was also being serious.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

You cant have your cake and eat it too.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

I'm not.

I'm just pointing out, in the language I figured you'd know best, what you keep doing.

It isn't working, obviously, as you haven't learned enough decency to ever say "oh, sorry about that." No, instead you argue even the stupidest minutia, even if it's with an 11 year old.

And the worst thing? You're usually WRONG about the minutia, too!

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

"decency"!? **** off.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

How funny that it's the word decency that pisses you off most. [Big Grin]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Not to mention anime usually shies away from the f-bomb.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade: That's mostly because there isn't a comparable word in Japanese. Words that have the same literal meaning don't have nearly the same connotative meaning (which is usually why "the f-bomb" is used). Indeed, anime uses Japanese cuss words all the time, with one notable exception (the one really, really dirty word in the Japanese language -- which does have an approximate equivalent in English, that is also usually avoided).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.