FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Low tech in post apocalyptic settings (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Low tech in post apocalyptic settings
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished up a collection of short stories in post apocalyptic settings and I was struck by something: where are the waterwheels?

it seems like in every story I've read, people's power is all about harvesting and conserving contemporary fuels, whereas I gotta figure, on the first things I'd do after I'd found stable shelter after an apocalypse would be to set up water power systems.

Can people think of stories I've missed for this?

It seems like sci-fi is maybe so focused on the shiny sciences and futuristic thinking that people forget that humans were running industry long before the current era.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Swiss Family Robinson? [Wink]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Part of the reason for that might be atmosphere. So many post-apocalyptic stories take place in barren, dry, and dusty environments. If it took place in a lush forest with a vigorous stream running a waterwheel it just wouldn't carry the same "Oh crap! Look what we did to ourselves!" feel.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, many post apocalyptic stories are lacking in societal stability. So even if the technology is there, it might not be feasible to actually build and maintain the equipment in a lot of stories.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, The Stand showed people trying to reestablish hydroelectric power before they even ran out of gasoline to run their generators. [Smile]

(Anyway, it hadn't occurred to me before now that you could set up a waterwheel and with some gearing make it turn the turbine in one of those gas powered generators. So now that's my plan if I end up near a river after the apocalypse...thanks! I wonder how well animal fat will work as an industrial lubricant once the WD-40 runs out.)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody remember what people used in Waterworld? (Anybody want to remember what Waterworld was? [Wink] )
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's stuff like The Chrysalids and The Road. There was also a series of novels set in post-apocalyptic America where people were back to using swords and bows and whatnot. I can't remember the name, though.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be wise to figure out how you will live without power at all. Or at best, very little power.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Anybody remember what people used in Waterworld? (Anybody want to remember what Waterworld was? [Wink] )

I didn't watch the whole thing, but I got the idea they were mining petroleum from old tankers. For, like, a long freaking time.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyway, it hadn't occurred to me before now that you could set up a waterwheel and with some gearing make it turn the turbine in one of those gas powered generators.
You really couldn't, at least not without a lot of gearing. Lage waterwheels are good are producing low RPM, high torque, while gasoline generators are built for high RPM, low torque.

quote:
Anybody remember what people used in Waterworld? (Anybody want to remember what Waterworld was?
The finding of an old tanker filled with petrol was a big plot point in the movie.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Water power is mentioned - it's not a major plot point by any means - in Stirling's Dies the Fire and The Protector's War.

quote:
Anyway, it hadn't occurred to me before now that you could set up a waterwheel and with some gearing make it turn the turbine in one of those gas powered generators. So now that's my plan if I end up near a river after the apocalypse...thanks!
Although I'm not an engineer, this might be more difficult than it sounds; I think you'd have a strong impedance mismatch between the speed of the water and the speed at which the generator is designed to turn, possibly too strong to overcome by any practical amount of gearing - you would lose too much torque. There's a reason we use gas, and it's not because we're evil polluters, it's because the stuff is very dang powerful. It's really quite hard to substitute any other source of power where burning petroleum is the design source.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

You'll all see when I've got my little hydroelectric fort. It's gonna have a solar energy beam defense system too. Just need a few lenses, is all.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
scifi: I'll attack at night. =) That's the problem with solar.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

I'll just trap it with mirrors until I need it.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Or you know, battaries, the egyptians made some rudimentary ones with clay and vinngar.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting timing on this topic. I just started writing a post-apocalyptic short story today.

Although in this case it is set generations after the apocalypse, the people have returned to a more basic, agrarian culture.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The finding of an old tanker filled with petrol was a big plot point in the movie.
...and how jet skis and airplanes can run on unrefined crude oil...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:

A combination of "the black stuff," which was apparently crude oil being used to power the exxon Valdez, and an even more absurd gyroscopic wind harvester that somehow powered a lead battery in Kevin Costner's boat, which for some reason he was then able to use to power the boat... which was a sailboat.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget they had some old man living on a tiny raft inside the tanker, who apparently did not need to eat or drink, and suffered no ill effects from being constantly surrounded by said oil.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm getting some insight into why I'm having difficulty remembering stuff from Waterworld.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
The finding of an old tanker filled with petrol was a big plot hole in the movie.

Fixed that for ya.
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Was that the weird move where people could breathe highly oxygenated water? Or was that something else?
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
That was The Abyss - which, interestingly, OSC wrote the novelization of.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Farnham's Freehold had waterwheels, and running toilets (sorta).
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
That was The Abyss - which, interestingly, OSC wrote the novelization of.

Apparently the novel actually provided some important characterizations for the movie.

Also the cool thing about the oxygenated water was that that can actually be breathed. Ed Harris didn't actually do it in the movie, but the demonstration with the rat I understand actually happened, which got the movie edited in the UK as it was deemed animal cruelty.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although I'm not an engineer, this might be more difficult than it sounds; I think you'd have a strong impedance mismatch between the speed of the water and the speed at which the generator is designed to turn, possibly too strong to overcome by any practical amount of gearing - you would lose too much torque.
Based on your reference to the speed of the water I assume you're talking about a paddle wheel, or flutter wheel. Also called an undershot water wheel. These are rarely used to convert water velocity to power, although they are sometimes used to convert power to water velocity. Think Mississipi steamboats.

But overshot water wheels have literally tons (or rather foot-tons) of torque, and can very easily be geared to match the RPM that a generator requires. In fact, it has been a dream of mine to build exactly this type of system, but unfortunately I don't have a conveniently placed stream with adequate head. A friend of mine does, but he rents his house, so... Oh well.

For some reason, the paddle wheel is the type of water wheel that most people remember, and I know I have seen a variety non-functional models tacked onto buildings for purely aesthetic purposes.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished volume 1 of Warren Ellis' graphic novel "FreakAngels". Its post-apocalyptic setting includes steam-powered helicopters, among other things.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I am reasonably convinced there are inherent power-to-weight limitations on steam engines (limiting yourself to iron/aluminium for construction and coal or oil for fuel, as is reasonable in a low-tech setting) which make powered flight impossible.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
But overshot water wheels have literally tons (or rather foot-tons) of torque, and can very easily be geared to match the RPM that a generator requires.

Ok, I sit corrected. Still, what's easy in an industrial society might not be so easy after the apocalypse. You'd be making gears out of low-quality iron, or whatever you could scavenge, and without access to power tools. (If you had power, of course, you wouldn't need to build a waterwheel to run your generator...)
scifibum
Member # 7625

I'd run my generator on gas before I ran out of gas.

Some of you people just wouldn't fit in with the Swiss family Robinson.

Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Ok, I sit corrected. Still, what's easy in an industrial society might not be so easy after the apocalypse. You'd be making gears out of low-quality iron, or whatever you could scavenge, and without access to power tools. (If you had power, of course, you wouldn't need to build a waterwheel to run your generator...)

Said helicopter is designed in the story by what amounts to a psychic genius-savant. I'm not saying it's exactly hard sci-fi. [Smile]

ADD:...But, then again, it's probably closer than Waterworld.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
I'd run my generator on gas before I ran out of gas.

Some of you people just wouldn't fit in with the Swiss family Robinson.

Exactly, Crazy Prepared! We prepare for two things, the absolute worst case, and the not so bad case where we might have some lee way. In the latter we have a generator and some gas and maybe some solar panels or whatever or preferably an already working waterwheel and cottage, the worst case is if we dont have any of those things.

If I had the money and the time I will buy a remote cottage by a stream/river up north somewhere and start preparing but in the meantime use it for vacations and chilin.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Still, what's easy in an industrial society might not be so easy after the apocalypse. You'd be making gears out of low-quality iron, or whatever you could scavenge, and without access to power tools.
You can make very effective gears out of wood with basic hand tools. The generator itself would be a much greater obstacle. Still, in a post apocalyptic world, you'd be using a scavenged generator, so you might as well be using a scavenged gearbox. They're all over, you know.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Yes, but hang on, we're talking about gears to change a slow rotation of maybe one or two RPM and enormous torque into several hundred RPM. I don't think wood is going to stand the strain, especially since you have to mate it to metal at some point. And a scavenged gearbox may or may not have the ratio you need, not to mention the difficulty in mating it to both the generator axle and the wheel axle.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
You seem to be thinking of a two gear system. You could put as many gears in there as you needed (accepting some loss of energy between each).
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

And you're building this huge Rube Goldberg system with hand tools, out of wood? I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it's not the work of a day, or even a week. And that's not even counting the need to go out and shoot zombies occasionally.
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
What would the water-wheel powered generator be powering? The internet will presumably be, if not gone, localized networks that you won't have access to. TV and radio won't be broadcasting. And once you run out of working light bulbs, you're back to candles anyway, right?
[Razz]

Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Machine tools? Space heaters? Electric stoves? Microwave ovens! Computers are more than the internet. Water heater. (Notice that chopping wood is extremely labour-intensive and not very scalable.) And, of course, electricity offers all sorts of options for convincing the inevitable heretics that your own take on the causes of the apocalypse is the correct one, and they had better repent and be saved.

Edit: And anyway, radio isn't that complicated. Set up your own broadcasting station.

Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Microwave ovens? I don't think frozen dinners will be in plentiful supply after the apocalypse.

I suppose space heaters and electric stoves make a little more sense. But all that back-breaking wood chopping for fires will make you strong and better able to defend yourself from the "zombies." Plus, all your food will taste great because food always tastes great after working so hard to prepare it.

I guess a freezer would be nice...

But I think I'd be much more inclined to work on a plumbing/running water system before power generation.

Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Tazers.

You can't have Zombie-scorching Tazers without the electricity.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by Godric 2.0:
Microwave ovens? I don't think frozen dinners will be in plentiful supply after the apocalypse.

*Slaps forehead* Duh, I left freezers out of my list! Cheap refrigeration is a vastly important technical advance; without it you'll be eating salted or dried stuff all winter.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Um . . . if you think the main type of meal that can be cooked in a microwave is pre-cooked and frozen, ur doin it rong.

Certainly a microwave can cook far more efficiently than many other options. And in many cases it tastes just as good.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

*Slaps forehead* Duh, I left freezers out of my list! Cheap refrigeration is a vastly important technical advance; without it you'll be eating salted or dried stuff all winter.
You are ignoring canned, which came long before refrigeration.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, but hang on, we're talking about gears to change a slow rotation of maybe one or two RPM and enormous torque into several hundred RPM. I don't think wood is going to stand the strain, especially since you have to mate it to metal at some point. And a scavenged gearbox may or may not have the ratio you need, not to mention the difficulty in mating it to both the generator axle and the wheel axle.

Forget about the issue of gearing. Its a much more fundamental problem. Unless you are talking about a really tiny diesel generator, electric turbines are designed to generate megawatts of power and there is no way you could build a wooden water wheel with that kind of capacity. You'd do much better kludging together a hundred bicycle dynamos that using a large generator.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

I believe we are talking aobut a really tiny diesel generator, the sort that you might use to light your house in an emergency or a cabin far off the grid.

Canning was invented a bit after the Napoleonic wars, which is not much before refrigeration, and is an industrial process; you wouldn't be doing canning as an individual struggling to survive the zombies. Perhaps you are referring to pickling, preserves, and such? Fair enough, but you can't do it to meat.

King of Men
Member # 6684

Thinking about it, if you wanted refrigeration it might be a more inherent idea to couple the water wheel directly to the refrigerator pump and ignore electricity altogether. I don't know where you'll get more working fluid if you run out, though.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Canning was invented a bit after the Napoleonic wars, which is not much before refrigeration, and is an industrial process

Huh? Oh, you mean putting things in metal cans.

Rabbit means home canning.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Canning was invented a bit after the Napoleonic wars, which is not much before refrigeration, and is an industrial process; you wouldn't be doing canning as an individual struggling to survive the zombies.
rivka's right. I was talking about home canning which, presuming not all the bottles and lids are destroyed in the apocalypse, is a pretty low tech process which I have done myself since childhood. (O.K. I didn't actually do it all by myself as a child, I served merely as forced labor in my parents annual canning rituals).

quote:
Perhaps you are referring to pickling, preserves, and such? Fair enough, but you can't do it to meat.
Actually, meat has been preserved by various forms of curing and pickling for hundreds if not thousands of years. How can you call your self a Norwegian if you don't know about pickled Herring, Lutefisk, and smoked salmon?
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Actually, meat has been preserved by various forms of curing and pickling for hundreds if not thousands of years. How can you call your self a Norwegian if you don't know about pickled Herring, Lutefisk, and smoked salmon?

Not to mention smoking, though I suppose that could be considered a form of curing. And there is that infamous Ancient Roman rotten-fish recipe , though part of me can't help but wonder if that wasn't nearly as bad an idea as "hey, let's make dishes out of lead!"
King of Men
Member # 6684

Fish is not meat. And lutefisk is not suitable for human consumption. [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.