FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Low tech in post apocalyptic settings (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Low tech in post apocalyptic settings
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Fish is not meat.

So? Are you suggesting that people have never smoked, cured or pickled anything else? I chose examples I thought would be more familiar to someone of scandanavian decent than pickled pork.

quote:
And lutefisk is not suitable for human consumption. [Big Grin]

Well I agree about Lutefisk, but then I'm not Norwegian. Your credibility as a scandinavian is slipping.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
You can use a pressure canner for meat. All you need is a fairly low-tech pressure cooker and heat.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe we are talking aobut a really tiny diesel generator, the sort that you might use to light your house in an emergency or a cabin far off the grid.
Its still excessively complicated. If you have a small gas generator, it would be far simpler to build a small anaerobic digester to make fuel for the generator than to try to turn the turbine with a water wheel.

Turn the turbine mechanically is just a ridiculous idea from the get go since all you actually need to turn is the dynamo, and once the gasoline runs out small dynamos will be easily obtained from all the parked cars. I don't think it would be all that difficult to rig a waterwheel with a serious of pulleys that to run an automobile dynamo. We had first semester engineering students building wind turbines that could power an car dynamo. Its pretty simple technology.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
You can use a pressure canner for meat. All you need is a fairly low-tech pressure cooker and heat.

Of course the most traditional way of preserving meat for the cold winter months has always been to store them as live animals and butcher as necessary. Meat isn't like fruits and vegetables that have to be harvested when they ripen and stored for later use. Plus, in much of the world "refrigeration" is cheap and plentiful and provided by nature during the winter months.

It used to be common for people to cut large blocks of ice out lakes in the winter and store them in underground lagers for the summer. It wouldn't work in the tropics, but then fresh fruits and vegetables can be grown year round in the tropics.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think it would be all that difficult to rig a waterwheel with a serious of pulleys that to run an automobile dynamo.
When was the last time you heard anyone refer to an alternator as a dynamo?

quote:
If you have a small gas generator, it would be far simpler to build a small anaerobic digester to make fuel for the generator than to try to turn the turbine with a water wheel.
Sure you could make fuel, but maintenance on the engine would require far more precision machining than a gearset would.

quote:
And that's not even counting the need to go out and shoot zombies occasionally.
This is a much better argument.

quote:
Cheap refrigeration is a vastly important technical advance; without it you'll be eating salted or dried stuff all winter.
Do brains need refrigeration?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I missed this:

quote:
a serious of pulleys
No, I don't think there's much point to serious pulleys. Not that there's much point to being serious, in this thread.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Goddamnit all to hell guys! You just gave me another idea for a webcomic project. Of the Farley Mowat variety.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.