FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm Going To Be a Father! Now with XY fun! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I'm Going To Be a Father! Now with XY fun!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Or at least I will be if there are no complications. It feels so ethereal. Mrs. BB has had late periods many times, often as late as three weeks even. Every time it happens she thinks she is pregnant, and every time I tell her to stop jumping the gun.

Well this last time I said the same thing, but about two days ago I was sitting at the computer doing work and I just knew she was pregnant. Didn't have a voice from heaven or anything, I just felt the thought burrowing into my consciousness. I thought that perhaps I was just speculating on things, but I know the thought was there. Well Mrs. BB decided to buy a pregnancy test without talking to me about it and sure enough the hormones are there. We're going to have Mrs. BB see an OBGYN this week.

I have no idea how this is going to work, we've got to get insurance, and babies are expensive, and we can't have a baby in our apartment complex. But before I kill the magic with my worrying, right now, in this moment, I feel very peaceful, even excited about this development.

Mrs. BB was on birth control, and this wasn't the optimal time as far as I could tell, but I don't feel like this was an accident.

I've often wondered what I'd feel like on the day I found out I was going to be a father, it feels alot like how I imagined it, peaceful, serene, happy, yet almost as if there was a pane of glass between me and that future, I can see it, but I'm not there.

I'll never forget this day, not for the rest of my life.

[ January 12, 2010, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

Baby BlackBlade is going to be one lucky kid to have a dad like you! [Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! We had Audrey in a similar situation (no insurance, not optimal living arrangements). It was a tough 9 months, but everything worked out and she was worth it all.

Best wishes!

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daventor
Member # 11981

- posted      Profile for daventor           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] [Cool]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
GRATS!
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fractal Fraggle
Member # 9803

- posted      Profile for Fractal Fraggle   Email Fractal Fraggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 36 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so thrilling... I'm so happy you get to experience that! [Smile] Congratulations to you and Mrs. BB!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
For the insurance, I don't know how much you guys make, but check into medicaid/Chip programs.

Congrats on the great news!

Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!! [Smile]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Your announcement makes our conversation last week on the subject seem quite ironic.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Congratulations, BB.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
What great news! Congratulations!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, BlackBlade. Good luck to both of you.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
we can't have a baby in our apartment complex
*blink* Why not?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this thread last night before I went to bed, and then proceeded to have a dream where Blackblade, fugu, and I all lived on the same block and were all having babies at the same time. It was weird.

Congrats BB!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
You can do it, BB. When I had my son I was living in a one-bedroom apartment that was less than 500 sq. ft. The crib was kept in the living room. I don't think our son suffered any irreparable damage. [Big Grin]

Congratulations!

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
we can't have a baby in our apartment complex
*blink* Why not?
Lots of apartment complexes won't allow children. Such rules have been declared illegal in most places, but that hasn't stopped them. I suspect BB and family could take the apartment complex to court over it and likely win, but usually its just easier to move. That's why the rules persist despite numerous court rulings against them.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in apartments, there were rules about the number of people allowed in the apartment (2 people per room) so we could not have had a kid in that apartment.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Those rules almost always have exceptions for infants, and often for any family members.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
YAYYYYYYYY! [Smile]

I know the timing may not be perfect but it's still very exciting news. I wish you all the best.

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

I have no idea how this is going to work, we've got to get insurance, and babies are expensive, and we can't have a baby in our apartment complex. But before I kill the magic with my worrying, right now, in this moment, I feel very peaceful, even excited about this development.

I didn't find babies to be all that expensive. You end up getting a lot of gifts, not to mention hand-me-downs, and you can fill in the gaps by shopping second hand. Freecycle and Craig's list are usually swimming with baby stuff.

Anyway, I'm sure it's too soon to think about that but don't get too worried about cash flow. I bet the parents around here can give you hundreds of money saving tips.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
How very exciting!!! Congratulations! I hope the path is smooth!

If it's not the apartment complex that has a stipulation, I had friends who were living in the husbands' parents' basement for the first year of their daughter's life and all three survived. [Smile]

If Mrs. BB is as high quality as you, I agree that Baby BB is going to have some great parents!
[The Wave]

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations and good luck!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for the outpouring of congratulatory remarks! I can't get this development out of my mind for more than a minute right now.

scholarette: Already looking into CHIP and Medicare, we'll figure something out.

Rabbit: I was thinking the exact same thing. I thought back on our conversation and my expressed concern and immediately thought, well that certainly puts a lid on the issue.

Tom: From what I understand in the zoning codes it says that only two adults, and an infant younger than two years of age can live in the apartments. So technically speaking we could be good for another two years, but it does seem like it's one of those things where they try to get you to leave before two years is up. I've never seen any couples at this complex with infants.

rivka: Wipe that grin off your face, you and I both know it was obvious this was going to happen, and soon. [Wink]

Strider: Do you have any history of premonition? [Smile]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
rivka: Wipe that grin off your face, you and I both know it was obvious this was going to happen, and soon. [Wink]

*nod*

Kids are contagious.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray! Best of luck with the upcoming pregnancy.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very happy for you, BlackBlade.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
That's wonderful, and what a great description of how you feel. A lot of my friends just had/will soon have their first babies and I've never heard a better explanation.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

[Big Grin]

Really the current pregnancy, no? Congrats BB, I'm looking forward to calling your infant wrong on Hatrack in a scant 15 years or so. You wait- he/she will be totally wrong when it comes to debating with me.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, BB, I'm so excited for you -- big grin on my face.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
True, it is a current pregnancy. How about "Best wishes for a happy, healthy pregnancy."

I'm tired...I've been trying to bash in minds all day.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Can I be the godfather?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, that last post should have been in the Mafia thread.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

[Big Grin]

Really the current pregnancy, no? Congrats BB, I'm looking forward to calling your infant wrong on Hatrack in a scant 15 years or so. You wait- he/she will be totally wrong when it comes to debating with me.
Well no doubt when she/he is around 15 years of age they will be wrong about just about everything.
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats and good luck.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Well no doubt when she/he is around 15 years of age they will be wrong about just about everything.

I thought you barely met my daughter?
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, BlackBlade.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see that your taking it so bravely, Id probably take my a note from my father and run away screaming. Third generation bastard and counting.

But honestly, congratulations and good luck.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

I thought you barely met my daughter?
You're right, and hence my prejudice stands. Maybe next time you can dazzle me with her intellectual prowess. Heck, try convincing her that there is nothing cooler than to post on a forum that her mother frequents. [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh*

WHY would I want to do that?

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

*nod*

Kids are contagious.

I hear they can be sexually transmitted.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
quote:
quote:

*nod*

Kids are contagious.

I hear they can be sexually transmitted.
[ROFL]

I love that.

Also, congratulations, Blackblade!

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.