FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Peace Prize Awarded to Obama (Page 0)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Peace Prize Awarded to Obama
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like Life of Pi, except without a tiger!
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
This topic seems somewhat moot. Lights have been used at Christmas time for centuries. Even if we ignore that, colored electric lights have been in use for several decades. They are not used in exactly the same way for any other holiday. Their use will likely continue so long as Christmas is celebrated. At what point is a tradition old enough to warrant recognition as a "real religious tradition?"

If the fourth of July came to be celebrated with the detonation of a nuclear warhead, just to cap off the fire works (kinda awesome idea aesthetically speaking now that I reflect on it, obviously a terrible idea for a host of other reasons), and as a symbolic gesture of American might, who would care? The new tradition joins everything else.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
If the fourth of July came to be celebrated with the detonation of a nuclear warhead, just to cap off the fire works (kinda awesome idea aesthetically speaking now that I reflect on it, obviously a terrible idea for a host of other reasons), and as a symbolic gesture of American might, who would care?

:: raises hand ::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You think the best we can do is a nuclear explosion? Have you no respect for America? Or for that matter, the disaster movie industry?

We'll drill a hole in the middle of Yellowstone, drop a nuke down there, then celebrate with a caldera explosion that will blot out the sun.

Frankly I think it's the perfect example of America: In the process of showing everyone how awesome we are, we'll mortally wound ourselves.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
You are not drilling a hole in the middle of my Yellowstone!!!

Get back. You do not want to experience the wrath of The Rabbit.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:

No kidding. Does "death by citation" sound like fun to you?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I was thinking of this sort of death by rabbit.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You are not drilling a hole in the middle of my Yellowstone!!!

At least the geological marvels are just fine even if the plant and animal life are completely screwed.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

On second thought, we don't even have to drill the hole. Can't we just drop the bomb down Old Faithful?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
On second thought, we don't even have to drill the hole. Can't we just drop the bomb down Old Faithful?

It might get launched out of the geyser as it detonates.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

That'd be pretty cool too.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't we at least pick someone else's classic landmark to mess up? `splosions are cool and all, but I'd like to have Old Faithful around in the future instead of a big old crater lake.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

So was I.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

quote:
It is "The Rabbit"
quote:
I warned you, but did you listen to me? Oh, no, you knew it all, didn’t you? Oh, it’s just a harmless little bunny, isn’t it? Well, it’s always the same. I always tell them—

[ October 23, 2009, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Let me set this straight.

No one is dropping anything down Old Faithful. Period.

And no one is detonating a nuclear device anywhere near my Yellowstone.

Got that????

Now back to your regularly scheduled, . . . .

what was it we were fighting over again, something to do with a Peace Prize, I think it was.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

No I want to talk about detonating a nuclear device inside a super volcano. Realistically what could we expect to happen?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

What Hatrack really needs is a resident volcanologist.

You don't think a nuke would cause an eruption? I mean geez, Mt. Doom exploded and all they did was throw a ring into it.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

To the best of my knowledge, the science of volcanology isn't sufficiently advanced to be able to accurately predict what would happen if you detonated a nuclear device inside a super volcano.

quote:
I mean geez, Mt. Doom exploded and all they did was throw a ring into it.
So you think the Lord of the Rings wasn't a powerful weapon of mass destruction? I'd put it up against a nuclear arsenal any day of the week.
scifibum
Member # 7625

I want to know what happens if we throw a supervolcano into another supervolcano.

I bet Michael Bay knows.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I want to know how you would propose throwing a super volcano anywhere.
scifibum
Member # 7625

With nuclear bombs. Duh.

Bruce Willis and some modified oil drilling equipment, and probably a jet-powered submarine.

(If you're questioning my grasp of physics^H^H^H^H^H^H^H reality, understand that I am basing all of this on the movie Armageddon.)

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
a nuclear detonation within a super volcano would likely cause a chain reaction resulting at best massive earthquakes along the fault line to at least several concurrent volcanic eruptions, a massive explosion that could tempararily blot our the sun and possibly at worst case california would fall into the sea or potentially separate.

Or at least thats what my ass tells me.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
possibly at worst case california would fall into the sea or potentially separate.
What makes that a worst case scenario? I kind of see it as a silver lining.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

but... but... but...! my Rivka lives there!
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
If you throw a nuclear stuffed super volcano into another super volcano, I can tell you one thing you won't get... a Nobel Peace Prize.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
what was it we were fighting over again, something to do with a Peace Prize, I think it was.
That's even better than fighting over gold or precious jools!

quote:
If you throw a nuclear stuffed super volcano into another super volcano, I can tell you one thing you won't get... a Nobel Peace Prize.
Yeah, but threaten to throw a nuke-stuffed super volcano into another super volcano, and you just might!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

nonono first you need to say its hiding weapons of mass destruction first.
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
If you stuff a Super Volcano with Nuclear Warheads, then, well, yes--YOU ARE HIDING WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION.......IN A WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

FRIDGE BRILLIANCE!
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread got something like 713% better in the past 12 hours.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:

No, but I'd have to imagine you'd be in the running for a Nobel Prize in Physics.

When God shuts a door he opens a window.

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To the best of my knowledge, the science of volcanology isn't sufficiently advanced to be able to accurately predict what would happen if you detonated a nuclear device inside a super volcano

I think this is where the "experimentation" part of the scientific method comes into play.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

But getting the permits to do this with nukes takes for ever, and the paper work is a nightmare. We should try it with a massive load of conventional explosives first. If the results are promising, then we go nuclear.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, you guys are helping terrorists. If they ever get their hands on a nuke, and want to know where they can use it to inflict the maximum damage on America, you are spelling it out for them. Let's just hope they don't take you seriously.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Any terrorist worth his salt has already seen all the terrorist training videos that Hollywood puts out on a weekly basis.

I think they're going to be better off with an episode of NCIS than they are with nuking Yellowstone.

Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
You know, you guys are helping terrorists. If they ever get their hands on a nuke, and want to know where they can use it to inflict the maximum damage on America, you are spelling it out for them. Let's just hope they don't take you seriously.

You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.
If it were any one but Ron, certainly. With Ron, your guess is as good as mine.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Man, that is a tough one to call! Truly a six one way half-a-dozen the other question.
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

quote:
When God shuts a door he opens a window.
God does not open windows with nuclear stuffed super volcanoes.

well, unless its jammed really really tight, and the WD40 just doesn't work...and we all know that WD40 always works.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Doesn't God open windows with whatever He wants, regardless of the level of jammedness of the window in question?
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Could God jam a window so well that even he couldn't open it?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on if he's running Vista
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Sure, sure. Let's worry about the idea that terrorists acquire a nuke and could have set it off in a highly populated city but instead jam it into the ground in wyoming in a futile effort to trigger a hotspot caldera superevent (but not actually causing anything) on the basis of what they read some people say on orson scott card's internet forum.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
but... but... but...! my Rivka lives there!

Excuse me, but since when I am your Rivka? O_o

*pointedly ignores the lagomorph*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/Ochotona_princeps.jpg/180px-Ochotona_princeps.jpg

~Kawaii!~ I am taking it home with me!

On another note I had to google "Lagomorph"

On the original question, as far as I can determine only I exist, all of you are bytes and until I meet you in person or speak to you over the phone do not really exist as "people" ergo you are by extension by virtue of being within my Personal Computer all my property. And. Thus. Mine.

Unless I meet you in some way, then your just some shlub squatting on my property.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:

Sure, sure. Let's worry about the idea that terrorists acquire a nuke and could have set it off in a highly populated city but instead jam it into the ground in wyoming in a futile effort to trigger a hotspot caldera superevent (but not actually causing anything) on the basis of what they read some people say on orson scott card's internet forum.
Everyone in this thread would become famous!
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

No, just me, `cause I'd make sure to claim it was my idea first. In fact, I do so now! It was totally my idea. Y'all are just copycats.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unless I meet you in some way, then your just some shlub squatting on my property.
This implies that you never leave your house.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
quote:
This implies that you never leave your house.
*smirks* I believe there's a term for that. 'Hikikomori' if I recall.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
No, just me, `cause I'd make sure to claim it was my idea first. In fact, I do so now! It was totally my idea. Y'all are just copycats.

Oh good. They'll take YOU to jail then. [Smile]

Then I, the originator of this nefarious and highly entertaining plot, will be free. And famous.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.