FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ghost stories and Spiritual resolve (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Ghost stories and Spiritual resolve
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
quote:
I can move electrons around in a particular pattern in your brain and make you experience anything you choose.
No, you can't. We don't know how to do this and we're not sure if we ever will. That's just a belief you hold without confirming evidence. That your ideology says that is will be the case doesn't magically make it so or based in any sort of real world science.
Well - fair enough, I overstated the case of what we can do with current technology. But see Tom's post above.
I'm not sure what you think Tom's post says, but it doesn't support your position.

You assume that we will be able to do these things because it fits your ideology, but there is no scientific basis to support this. You're then using this assumption that we will be able to do this to prove that your ideology is correct, but we will only be able to do these things that we don't even know are possible if your ideology is correct.

Not exactly the strongest argument there and one that shows many of the same faults you are trying to cast onto others.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not sure what you think Tom's post says, but it doesn't support your position.
Well, it depends. If, for example, we find a chemical indicator for the neuron that makes people experience cake -- which is unlikely, but not outside the realm of possibility -- it WOULD be the case that KoM could in fact make you experience the taste of cake whenever he felt like it.

I think the idea that the mechanism of experience can be directly manipulated is at the core of KoM's assertion, and it's certainly not a claim that's outside the realm of possibility.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You assume that we will be able to do these things because it fits your ideology, but there is no scientific basis to support this.
Wait, what? I say "We can make you taste cake whenever we feel like it, by manipulating electrons", Tom points to an experiment which indeed did precisely that, and you say it doesn't support my position? Does not compute.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.