FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » XKCD: So beautiful it deserves a new thread (Page 0)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: XKCD: So beautiful it deserves a new thread
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I started with Hitchhiker's guide and it was a surprisingly long chain. (Like the previous three, it actually converges on "Mathematics," which I think should be considered the actual page for this rule).

Then I discovered that "Rationality" and "Reason" actually don't work. They just lead to each other, back and forth.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Also with a random starting point:

Lorca Castle
Lorca
Region of Mercuria
Valencian
Catalan Language
Romance Languages
Indo-European Languages
Language Family
Language
Communication
Meaning (Philosophy of Language)
Philosophy

And try number 2:
Powhatan
Native American tribes in Virginia
The concept of Indian tribes in the United States
United States
Federalism
Politics
Group decision making
Individual
Person
Human
Taxonomy
Science
Knowledge
Fact
Information
Sequence
Mathematics
Quantity
Property (philosophy)
Modern philosophy
Philosophy

[ May 25, 2011, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Jake ]

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
This is way too much fun.

Looking at the xkcd forums, it seems like a lot converge to mathematics before going to philosophy, and there are many examples of loops.

I'm just waiting for some sort of awesome infographic to emerge.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I also reached the "Meaning (Philosophy of Language)" article from a random starting point, but the first link goes to "Definition" and then:
Meaning (linguistics)
Linguistics
Human
Taxonomy
Science
Knowledge
Fact
Information
Sequence
Mathematics
Quantity
Property
Modern Philosophy
Philosophy

My starting point: The Centre for Corporate Public Affairs

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a paper from 2007 on the emergent graph topology of Wikipedia.

In the paper, all links are treated equally, but the "click on the first hyperlink" exercise demonstrates that that's not true. For example, if I click on the last link on each page, you get a very different sort of chain, jumping from pragmatic to pragmatic, rather than ascending a ladder of abstractions.

Philosophy
Rosalind Hursthouse
Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson
Jerusalem
Givat Ram
Byzantine Empire
Roman Kingdom
Consul
Aeropagus of Eastern Continental Greece
First National Assembly at Epidaurus
Filiki Eteria
Ali Pasha
Topkapi Palace
Antalya
Sabiha Gokcen International Airport
Silk Way Airlines
Ilyushin Il-76
Hardpoint
Workbench
Cast Iron
Foundry
Welding
Residual Stress
Neutron Diffraction
Bragg's Law
Hexagonal Lattice
Translational Symmetry
Measure
Signed Measure
Riesz Representation Theorem
Uniform Norm
C*-algebra
Local Quantum Field Theory
Light Cone
Weyl Tensor
Cotton tensor
<loop>

<edit>It's also not robust to taking the second, rather than the first, non-italicized, not-parenthetical link.</edit>

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
(in reverse order)

Philosophy
Modern Philosophy
Property
Quantity
Mathematics
Sequence
Informaton
Fact
Knowledge
Science
Taxonomy
Human
Person
Individual
Group
Politics
Federalism
The United States
Kevin Williamson
The Vampire Diaries

If you keep going and click the first link on the Philosophy page and so on, it looks back on to taxonomy. And repeat.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
On the "Quantity" page, I am no longer getting a link to "Property" - instead, I'm in an endless loop of Mathematics -> Quantity -> Magnitude -> Order Theory -> Mathematics.

Viewing the history of the page is actually pretty amusing. "Edited for XKCD," indeed. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
If only the page for "Circular Definition" looped back on itself...
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
xkcd fans have set up recursive loops all over the place!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
That's lame.

Though it seems editing the rule to be "the first link that wasn't already clicked" would still work for most every page.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's back to what it was. Game still works.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Wikipedia must really hate Randal.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeorge:
If only the page for "Circular Definition" looped back on itself...

I used to work at a company that converted textbooks and reference books into e-text for a searchable and hypertexted (if that's a word) engine. At one point I was working on the New Oxford Dictionary of English, and I noticed that the definition of "recursive" didn't say "see recursive". So I added it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Quantum Botany

I love the mouse over text. "coherent amber waves" and "devastating but majestic grain laser). [ROFL]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Is the devastating but majestic grain laser funny for reasons other than sheer ridiculousness?
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
Its in reference to "America - the beautiful"
http://www.explainxkcd.com

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

No I got that, I was wondering if "majestic grain" was a particular line I had forgotten or something.
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
I am shocked, SHOCKED, that today's XKCD has no alt text. What's up with that?
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
It encapsulates me.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
The comic, not the lack of alt text.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I was responding to manji, not you.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like he put it in just now. All is right in the world.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Big Grin]
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't explain exactly why, but I really like this one.
Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa thread reincarnation! How are you all?
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things.

1) I love this thread. Especially page 2 and 4. So imma drag it back from the dead.

2) While I'm at it: How come there is no mention of this?

Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
There is, just in one of other xkcd threads.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Breath. (You people really should've kept some order to those threads, you know. Not have everything twice or threefold. That makes it really hard for the random newbie stumbling through the open barn door... [Big Grin] )
Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Today's xkcd is terrifying:

https://xkcd.com/1732/

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
And also hilarious once or twice.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't get how the currently held theorys about monolithic structures are so widely accepted and so utterly stupid.

The pyramids were not built in 2500 bc.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

- posted      Profile for Heisenberg           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty confident in current scientific consensus on the pyramids et al. I'm curious why you're not.
Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

http://www.pyramidcode.com

The videos are on netflix...it's a five part mini series.

Lots of phds behind it...pretty good jumping off point.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

I'm in the market for a good source if tinfoil, where do you get yours?
Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Here: https://g.co/kgs/IyLXfT
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

But on a more serious note, just because they were born 4000 years ago doesn't mean that they were retarded. They had their geniuses and they had the benefit of slave/taxed labor. Add up the two and it was more then possible to build the pyramids.
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
that earth temperature is absolutely scary
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

It is. And that Stonehenge is in danger of being crushed by dwarves.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heisenberg:
But on a more serious note, just because they were born 4000 years ago doesn't mean that they were retarded. They had their geniuses and they had the benefit of slave/taxed labor. Add up the two and it was more then possible to build the pyramids.

They also didn't have Netflix to entertain them. Lots of time to figure things out.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

So...everyone just caught "giant rock fevor" on several continents at the same time...hey, put down that copper tool and help me move this 90 ton stone...sometimes up mountains...hundreds of miles...no wheels...no problem! Occam grew a beard.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

As I am not about to waste time on a mini series, would you care to summarize?
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Pyramids built on aquifer, large dark energy generators, cap stones were insulators...forgotten technology...lots and lots of evidence that makes current accepted theories look silly.

Watch the first ten min...experts of good quality, production value & music too.

PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
They also didn't have Netflix to entertain them. Lots of time to figure things out.

Oh. Oooh. I don't have Netflix either. That might explain some things... [Big Grin]
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
Pyramids built on aquifer, large dark energy generators, cap stones were insulators...forgotten technology...lots and lots of evidence that makes current accepted theories look silly.

I think your silly detector might need re-calibrating.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:

Watch the first ten min...experts of good quality, production value & music too.

how specifically do you think the pyramids were made

what is all this stuff

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Not with slave labor and rope and copper tools and logs for rolling, that is for sure!

We have lost technology...human progression is not a straight line.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, what tech do you think "the ancients" possessed that they wasted on building heaps of rock?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I'll make a new thread I don't want to derail this one.

[ September 13, 2016, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Stone_Wolf_ ]

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Dude, what tech do you think "the ancients" possessed that they wasted on building heaps of rock?

ZPMs?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.