FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » XKCD: So beautiful it deserves a new thread (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: XKCD: So beautiful it deserves a new thread
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW...this thread is one of the many reasons I LOVE this place. LOL
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not enough paper in the universe. LOL
Probably not enough internet in the universe either.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
I want to see one of those graphics for the Wheel of Time series....

--Mel

What do I get if I re-read the whole thing (up to present, which I actually need to go buy...) and do it?
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
You would win a whole internet. With a side order of Al Gore.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
How long would WoT take to read through? A year? I've never read it, and I've never met anyone who's bothered to actually read the entire thing, but I can't imagine it'd be very easy to keep everything together in your head during 14,000+ pages... you'd have to do some SERIOUS note-taking to even attempt a graph of it.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I just read the last book, the new one, and it's the best one in at least a decade.

I have read all of them, and will reread the series probably in 5 weeks, after I graduate. It will probably take me 2-3 weeks, but AI read really fast.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
How long would WoT take to read through? A year? I've never read it, and I've never met anyone who's bothered to actually read the entire thing, but I can't imagine it'd be very easy to keep everything together in your head during 14,000+ pages... you'd have to do some SERIOUS note-taking to even attempt a graph of it.

I could probably read through it in a few weeks if I forgo my other forms of entertainment. I wouldn't have to keep it in my head if I just make the graph as I go along. I think Jordan's time flow in the series is fairly consistent, so I don't think it would take much backtracking. Also, if memory servers, he doesn't have a lot of "Off-screen" developments or travel, so if you just update it every time the setting changes, it should be pretty straight-forward.
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem would not be the time axis, but the character axis. It would be about 2.57 kilometers long every time you added a character that is important enough to have at least one chapter dedicated to them.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I just read the last book, the new one, and it's the best one in at least a decade.

I have read all of them, and will reread the series probably in 5 weeks, after I graduate. It will probably take me 2-3 weeks, but AI read really fast.

You must be insanely fast. I consider myself a very fast reader, I can read 100 pages an hour if it's light reading, but it'd still take me 21 weeks to read WoT at that rate. (assuming I have 5 hours a week to dedicate to reading it)
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
No.

This is why I like XKCD

One of the best arguments for Organ donation I've seen.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
http://xkcd.com/659/ for anyone arriving after Nov 8.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'm confused, can someone explain it to me?
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Legos are to the house as organs are to a human.

When the legos 'go into the bin', the house is no longer a house, and the pieces are no longer a part of the concept of 'the house.'

When a human ceases to exist, his organs are no longer a part of what made the human a human.

So I see it as the girl recognizing that when she dies, he organs really have no purpose for her anymore, and can only be given a purpose if they're 'taken back out of the bin' and used in someone else.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, when you die, your parts also go back into the bucket. While in an technical sense, your mass/energy will be conserved and live on in other forms... it is also quite easy for the organs of the lego house you call your body to be used in the lego trains/planes of other people's bodies.

Or, if you're Dr. Frankenstein, you could pull pieces out of the bucket in an attempt to rebuild the house from scratch. [Evil]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Or what Whale said.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Some people who are opposed to organ donation, or reluctant to donate their own organs, feel that it violates the donor's identity in some way: take away pieces, and it won't really be them any more. Or, perhaps, that person will be fragmented and held in other people's bodies, which is thought to be wrong or creepy or whatever. I've even heard that people worry that they'll need to keep their remains in one place for later use in their resurrection.

The point of the cartoon is that a person is a living arrangement of pieces, but once that arrangement is disrupted - as it is by death - the person is gone, and all you are left with is pieces, with no more personhood. The girl in the cartoon then decides there is no good reason not to put those pieces to some other use once she is gone.

I don't think it targets every fear or argument against organ donation - particularly religious objections, or specific superstitions about post mortem experience - it's aimed at people who are more vaguely concerned about their bodily integrity after death due to a feeling that they will be violated; it's pointing out that "they" won't be affected since they will be gone.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe she just likes the idea of her blocks becoming spaceships or trains.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

[Smile] which is a possibility I hadn't considered, but I admit it seems to fit with xkcd's general tone.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I like dkw's take. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I heard the alternate interpretation that the girl got annoyed with her brother contradicting her and signed him up as an organ donar out of revenge. [Smile] I love ACI (Alternate Character Interpretation)
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I stumbled across this on youtube today and thought all us XKCD lovers would appreciate it.

I love XKCD fans!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
That was very cool and extremely geeky, Strider. I approve!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
The Heroes version is even funnier still, thanks for giving me something awesome.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, there's a bunch of similar clips, but I thought the one I linked to was the most dorky, and thus most worthy of going here. [Smile]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I read all the credits twice because I was positive I knew some of those people. [Smile] Great find, Telcontar!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Damn XKCD, anthropomorphizing and pulling at my heartstrings.

Spirit

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I missed this one! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Spirit

Wall-E's cousin.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:

Spirit

That made me really, really sad.

rivka -

Thankfully, yours made me smile. [Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I relayed it verbally at the Shabbos night table last week (I was visiting my parents) and made pretty much every adult at the table laugh and/or groan.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
What's a Shabbo?
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I physically cried at the spirit one. (Only a little bit, but still)
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

One of the best reasons to love the Scouring of the Shire is that it shows how damaged Frodo was compared to the other Hobbits after carrying the Ring for so long. He was the hero of the story, and did great things. It was his compassion for Gollum, not his strength, that saved the world, and he paid a heavy price for it.

I remember as a young guy being VERY disappointed that Frodo had no real action during the Scouring, and that the other Hobbits seemed much more alive than he did, and did far more in the Shire. It wasn't until I thought about it for a while that I began to understand why, and the actual emotional impact of that sunk in.

Without the Scouring, Frodo's decision to leave Middle Earth would not have made any sense. It whowed how he would still pay, how hurt he was, and what a toll the ring had taken. It showed why he would need to leave, and where the only place he MIGHT heal from his burdens.

Also, as far as Gollum.....keep in mind that Sauron had to regain his strength after being defeated. As Sauron gained strength, the Ring began to flex its influence more and more. For most of the time Gollum had it, it was half asleep, working slowly to keep itself hidden, and Gollum was perfect for that.

The White Whale
Member # 6594

[Confused]
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Page 2
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Ah, thanks.
Kwea
Member # 2199

[Big Grin]
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
What, no strip D&D? Or strip trivial pursuit?

(Also the spirit one was cute, and very sad, poor little rover reminded me of Wall-E)

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

HOW ABOUT A GAME OF STRIP GLOBAL THERMONUCLEAR WAR?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you want to see Putin in his boxers.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

A more curious question is, in the case that you have to see a world leader strip, who would you pick to see?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
A more curious question is, in the case that you have to see a world leader strip, who would you pick to see?

Tough choice.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
One of these two:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yulia_Tymoshenko
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cristina_Fern%C3%A1ndez_de_Kirchner

No comment on their politics.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough!*

OK... "leader" is arguable... I'm not picky.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if we're doing wives of world leaders, that definitely widens the field.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partial to Queen Noor of Jordan.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Yulia is hawt, especially in that tight dress she likes to wear.

Noor is also very hawt.

Raina is alright.

kichner is ok its average.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
And that tvtropes references was bad its horrible.

(see what I did there?)

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

I think ceremonial figureheads are ok, but wives make the whole thing too easy. Especially with the likes of Carla Bruni and yes, Queen Raina around. This is supposed to be a challenge! [Wink]
scifibum
Member # 7625

I'd go for Queen Amidala, I guess.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.