FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You will laugh at this question

Author Topic: You will laugh at this question
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
In all the time I have been on the internet, we have used free service providers; first netzero and then nocharge, whom we are still with. Then, last month, it happened. My husband foind an online game that he has become addicted to ( Ikariam, if anyone is interested). Since our free dial up is so slow, he often stays at work late to play it on their superior computers, and goes back in on the weekends. (twice yesterday). It's time for us to get high speed internet. Our first inclination is with our phone company since they will bundle and we won't add a bill. However, I hold out hope I can find high enough speed internet to fully load online games ( and hopefully you tube and netflix streaming) for under $30/month. Anything out there like that?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
Around where I am, the slowest DSL offered by ATT is $25 a month (or was when I checked over the summer). It's honestly still pretty slow (512 Kb/s as I recall), but it should be passable for gaming. I use the $35/month service that is 1.5x as fast, and it works fine for gaming and video streaming (I don't use netflix, but hulu and youtube both work fine, I would assume the bandwidth requirement for netflix is not terribly different than hulu). I don't have any sort of bundle, so that price may be lower. It is worth noting I think that with my 1.5 Mb/s connection, hulu is not terribly functional if I use the higher resolution option, which (according to my napkin math) should take about 1.3x the bandwidth. The fact that I am cutting it that close would imply that anything much slower probably would not perform well at even the lower resolution. Again, I don't know what netflix uses.

Cable internet, while faster, was notably more expensive once you get out of the introductory period (the advertised price for the first six months was like $25, but it jumped into $40+ after that).

EDIT: also worth noting that my ATT service has no fees or extra charges associated with it (though there was some setup cost). The bill is exactly $35.00 every month, which is exactly what they advertised. I have no idea how prevalent any additional charges, etc. are, but my general feel from advertising (which is a terrible source) is that they are not uncommon.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear. God.

1997 called. They want you back.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Romany, if you're willing to get involved in just a touch of hassle and already have cell phones, let me give you a magic phrase: dry loop DSL. I get 7Mbsp down and 2.5 up for $25 a month, with none of those irritating taxes and charges you normally have to pay when you maintain a local phone.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
No lie Orinoco. Really.
Tom, we have a land line, and I have a cel but it's not my plan- I am on my best friend's "family" plan. Would that effect it?

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
With dry loop DSL you wouldn't have a land line. So you'd need to have either cell phones or use VoIP to make any calls.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have AT&T and pay $30 a month for the "DSL Pro" package, which is up to 512KB upstream and up to 3.0 MB downstream. No extra fees that I've seen, the taxes and "governmental surcharges" are all shown as being part of the landline portion of my bill. Very few drops in service, and the few I've had have been shortlived.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

Hmm. I know my husband would not give up the land line.
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
What city are you in?
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

Between Seattle and Tacoma.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.