FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help! Jury Duty! There's no way I can go! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Help! Jury Duty! There's no way I can go!
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Because I have no money except to go to work.
I'm broke. I didn't get any holiday pay at all. I had to miss several hours of work for a job that won't pay me until Friday and the jury duty is on Thursday.
The place is 7 miles away from me. There's no public transportation going from my town to the town I have to do jury duty at.
The closest place to get the bus would be at Walmart and it's either a 5 mile walk(in freezing cold, which I can't do, I have a terrible persistent cough and I have had it for 3 weeks, I should go to the doctor.) Or I could take a cab and pay about 20 dollars.
PlusI can't afford to miss any more work as my rent could increase.
WHAT DO I DO? I don't want to be fined or arrested! I've called them several times. I simply cannot afford to go.
Could I write them a letter or something?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What happens when you call?

Aren't you allowed a certain number of waivers for jury duty?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I already postponed it two times. So when I call and explain that I do not have enough money to skin a flea they say, sorry, can't help you.

It's really hard to get to this town without a car.
There's either-
Taking a cab, which costs like 20-30 dollars
Taking a cab to walmart and then taking the bus. 15-20 dollars, plus 1 dollar for the bus.
Walking in the cold. Which will take 5 hours, and I will cough to death.

I don't want a criminal record [Frown]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
They don't have hardship waivers?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I don't know, but repeatedly I have called these folks to explain that, other than money to get to work and buy food I have no money.
They said I can get a reimbursement, but when you do not have 20 dollars to spend on a cab (and the nice cab driver who would have let me paid when I have money has gone out of business) well... it will be kind of impossible.

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
The one time I was given jury duty I got out of it because there was a family vacation to the beach planned for that week (already had the house rented and everything). All I had to do was write a letter to the court. I would actually be interested on serving in a jury, but I haven't gotten jury duty since then.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Can any friend give you a ride? Even one way will reduce your costs.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Can't you go once for an interview say your very excited and can't wait to hang someone and say you have a knack for telling if someone is guilty regardless of the evidence? Your gut tells you so?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

No, my neighbor downstairs helps me all the time. This is way too inconvenient for her and out of her way.
And I do not have other friends who can drive me there...

Well, if I can get there I could do that or say, I am very educated and I am learning Japanese and they'll say, you're too smart, go away. Which would be cool.

Or I could pretend to be racist against everyone.

andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that to get out of it you have to go to at least the first day. When I had jury duty last year most of the waivers were given out at that time (if allowed) except for people accidentally called up who had already served in the past year. Even then, most waivers are only for your current term, you'll likely be recalled unless you have a health issue that prevents you from serving.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically, it seems easier to get out of jury duty if you actually have money.

The one time I was called to jury duty I got out of it because I was breastfeeding...probably wont' work for you.

I find that letters work better than phone calls. The first-level people on those phones are there to try to impede you. If you don't know the right buzz words to get through...have you actually used the words "hardship waiver?" Don't play around with details. Tell them you don't have $20 in your bank account to catch a cab so reimbursement won't help. And write it in a letter and send it off today.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, you really need to read the jury duty info they send you way back when they notify you:

From http://www.mass.gov/courts/jury/trial1.htm:

quote:

You may request to change the location of the courthouse where you will perform your trial juror service only if:

1. You have a hardship in getting to the courthouse. Examples of hardship include:

-You do not have a car, there is no one to drive you, and there is no public transportation available;

and more generally: http://www.mass.gov/courts/jury/trial.htm

-BOk

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Bok, Does synesthesia live in MA? Every state has different procedures for jury duty.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, Syn lives in Boston.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Yes, she lives in the Boston area. I've met her [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I am the primary care giver of a child under ten and so I just check that box off and send it back in. My husband had no excuse and he had to do it. The nice thing was that he got to sleep in an extra hour. He was hoping to be selected for the jury so he could enjoy that hour a few more days. Of course, he gets paid for jury duty.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
IIRC, Syn lives in Boston.

Well, near Boston. It would actually be easier for me to go to Boston than several miles from my house.
OK. I shall write them a letter today and mail it tomorrow and see what happens. I will tell them I CANNOT do jury duty due to brokeness and I have already postponed two times and I will ask them if I can do another date in the future so please do not arrest me.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Or ask if you could do your jury duty at a more easily reached courthouse.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were you, and I was supposed to be there on Thursday, I'd also make sure I got someone on the phone who could make a record of why I was not going to be able to make it on Thursday.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I did Jury Duty in Arkansas one summer and was paid somewhere around 60 dollars a day, which was roughly what I was making at my regular job.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:

Problem is all of the alternative places are even harder for me to get to.
Bokonon
Member # 480

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:

Problem is all of the alternative places are even harder for me to get to.
Really? What county are you in, Syn?

-Bok

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Plymouth.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
FTR, not having a car is a good excuse for not attending jury duty.

Brokeness is not.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to be sitting in the courtroom during the selection process and watching people trying to get out of jury duty because they have to work. Um, the rest of us have jobs, too. And families to support. And bills to pay and food to buy, and the rest of us have to take a hit in our budgets and suffer in order to do our civic duty. If we didn't, juries would be dangerously homogeneous.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

But suppose a person needs money to actually get to the courthouse?
Right now I have 25 dollars to get me through the week until Friday.
At least 15-22 of that has to go towards getting to work, the rest towards food.
I'd totally go to jury duty if I had the cab fare because as I said before, I can't walk 7 miles to the courthouse because I will cough very hard and stuff.
I will try to do my civic duty when I have the cabfare to go... you really can't go if you have no cab fare or no ride ><

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
FTR, not having a car is a good excuse for not attending jury duty.

Brokeness is not.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to be sitting in the courtroom during the selection process and watching people trying to get out of jury duty because they have to work. Um, the rest of us have jobs, too. And families to support. And bills to pay and food to buy, and the rest of us have to take a hit in our budgets and suffer in order to do our civic duty. If we didn't, juries would be dangerously homogeneous.

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes being broke is a good excuse, though. There's a big difference between a hit in the budget and *literally* scraping pennies together to buy food.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any friends around? Borrow 20 bucks off one and pay them back when you get reimbursed.

Frankly, not having money is a lame excuse for not doing jury duty - and if I was on the other side of the phone I wouldn't be very sympathetic either. It's also hard for people to believe - spending $20 you'll get back isn't too much to ask, really.

Have you tried going to www.MassJury.com and going through the system to apply for a hardship transfer? It may be too late, though...

Did you ask them how long reimbursement takes? Ask them if there is a way to get it same-day or something and explain why - you have no car and need to take a cab. Focus on the "have no car" part, though, not on the money part.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by just_me:
Do you have any friends around? Borrow 20 bucks off one and pay them back when you get reimbursed.

Frankly, not having money is a lame excuse for not doing jury duty - and if I was on the other side of the phone I wouldn't be very sympathetic either. It's also hard for people to believe - spending $20 you'll get back isn't too much to ask, really.

Are you kidding? You must not have read the part where Syn said he literally had $25 dollars for the rest of the week.

Syn, if you really do not have any other alternative, you can always just hope your number doesn't get called. I think you can look on the sheet they sent and see if you have a high or low number. My mom for some reason gets jury duty a lot but her number isn't called frequently.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy to send you $20 for cab fare, actually. Do you have PayPal?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Well, I do, but I can't yoink up your money, dude...

Though that is so nice of you to offer....

[ December 07, 2009, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck. Here in California, they don't have much mercy.

I had to go to jury duty at the end of August, this year. When they asked if anyone had a hardship that they couldn't serve, I said...truthfully, I might add...that I am self-employed and that if I don't do the work, it doesn't get done, and if I don't get my work done (I have a daily deadline, as I write for some websites in the UK), I don't get paid.

The judge asked me if I would become homeless as an immediate result of losing that week's pay, and when I said no, then he said it didn't qualify as a hardship, and I ended up spending the whole week on the jury.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a warrant issued for my arrest for not showing up to jury duty.

I had a really good excuse - I never got the notices because I lived in a different state at the time - I had moved. The sheriff's deputy came to my parents door and told them they were there to serve a warrant for failure to appear for jury duty. When they explained I had moved and had not lived in the state for over six months - they gave them a number to call and all was well.

However, every time I've had to have a background check for a job I've worried that might still be out there somewhere. Luckily, it appears it was indeed removed from my record.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Hmmm... to my dismay I probably WOULD have a lot of trouble paying rent if I missed a week of work...
Plus I got to also pay 100 dollars of back rent >< grah....

Next year I think I'll have more money by the end of the year. *Resolved*

I think my paypal is the same as my email address but I do not remember which one I use here.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I want to adopt in the future... I don't want to have a record, sine I don't have one...

Too bad there's not a court right in my town ><

This town needs public transportation badly.

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
I had a warrant issued for my arrest for not showing up to jury duty.

I had a really good excuse - I never got the notices because I lived in a different state at the time - I had moved. The sheriff's deputy came to my parents door and told them they were there to serve a warrant for failure to appear for jury duty. When they explained I had moved and had not lived in the state for over six months - they gave them a number to call and all was well.

However, every time I've had to have a background check for a job I've worried that might still be out there somewhere. Luckily, it appears it was indeed removed from my record.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because I have no money except to go to work.
I'm broke. I didn't get any holiday pay at all. I had to miss several hours of work for a job that won't pay me until Friday and the jury duty is on Thursday.
The place is 7 miles away from me. There's no public transportation going from my town to the town I have to do jury duty at.
The closest place to get the bus would be at Walmart and it's either a 5 mile walk(in freezing cold, which I can't do, I have a terrible persistent cough and I have had it for 3 weeks, I should go to the doctor.) Or I could take a cab and pay about 20 dollars.
PlusI can't afford to miss any more work as my rent could increase.
WHAT DO I DO? I don't want to be fined or arrested! I've called them several times. I simply cannot afford to go.
Could I write them a letter or something?

Get an emergency appointment with the doctor, hack and cough on her, and then call the court house to explain you're sick, and the next time you go, give them a doctor's note. If you're sick, you simply shouldn't be going- it's their business to prosecute you if you don't show up, which they won't do if you can defend yourself.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

hmmm
I actually am rather sick with this cough. It's been a really hard sort of hacking cough that makes me choke and stuff...
But I still go to work, I just don't cough on people or clothes and wash my hands and stuff afterwards.
But, yes, this cough is BAD. I must get it checked by a doctor soon.

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmmm... to my dismay I probably WOULD have a lot of trouble paying rent if I missed a week of work...

Well, the topping on the cake is that about two weeks after I finished jury duty, I got my billable work hours cut back by 40 percent, to the point where I'm having to suck down my savings account to pay the bills because what I get paid isn't that much anyway and I haven't been able to find supplemental work. Wonderful economy we've got, and it just rubs it in that I write finance news.

So, probably by about the end of February, if I don't find some other work, I'll be broke. My best friend said I could move in with her if worst comes to worst, but I don't want to do that because I know how much she loves living alone.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by littlemissattitude:
Good luck. Here in California, they don't have much mercy.

Hmm, my one and only summons came the week before I moved out of the country. I had my parents send it in with something like "addressee no longer residing at this address." Never heard anything about it after that- hope there isn't a bench warrant out for my arrest in California...
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Yeah, I'd be a terrible person to live with. Even a husband would would to have his own house if he lived with me for 5 seconds.
I hope you can find something and get a better job. After this job is over I will try my hand at temporary jobs again. On call jobs.
Good luck!
If all else fails, we could start a mafia...

quote:
quote:

Well, the topping on the cake is that about two weeks after I finished jury duty, I got my billable work hours cut back by 40 percent, to the point where I'm having to suck down my savings account to pay the bills because what I get paid isn't that much anyway and I haven't been able to find supplemental work. Wonderful economy we've got, and it just rubs it in that I write finance news.

So, probably by about the end of February, if I don't find some other work, I'll be broke. My best friend said I could move in with her if worst comes to worst, but I don't want to do that because I know how much she loves living alone.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The judge asked me if I would become homeless as an immediate result of losing that week's pay, and when I said no, then he said it didn't qualify as a hardship, and I ended up spending the whole week on the jury.

Yikes. I think that's an unusual attitude from the judge, even in California!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Freakin' tinpot dictator. Sets my teeth on edge to hear of someone abusing their power over the effectively-helpless that way.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Did someone say they got $60 for a day of jury duty? I think I got $13, plus $5 travel reimbursement. Fortunately at the time I had a good job and could spare the day, but it really upset me to think about people who weren't so fortunate.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Massachusetts is pretty firmly committed to the principle that everybody gets jury duty, no matter who they are. Though the flipside is that unless you're assigned to a jury, you only have to be there one day. (The day I went, Senator Kerry was serving his second day on a jury.)
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

What's the procedure if a person is being financially ruined by jury service, for instance in the case of a long trial? I mean, imagine if you couldn't pay a mortgage or tuition for your kids or buy food? $13 doesn't buy food for a family, or much of anything.
Bokonon
Member # 480

$50 bucks a day is the current rate for jurors, though for the first 3 days, your employer (whether you are full-time, part-time, or contract) is obligated by law to pay you your lost wages for those days.

-Bok

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
What's the procedure if a person is being financially ruined by jury service, for instance in the case of a long trial? I mean, imagine if you couldn't pay a mortgage or tuition for your kids or buy food? $13 doesn't buy food for a family, or much of anything.

The last jury I served on was in Arizona and it was a week-long trial, and they asked us before we were selected if we could afford to be there a whole week. I do think there is a difference between serving on a short trial and serving on one that's going to take a huge chunk out of your budget.

quote:
But suppose a person needs money to actually get to the courthouse?
Right now I have 25 dollars to get me through the week until Friday.
At least 15-22 of that has to go towards getting to work, the rest towards food.
I'd totally go to jury duty if I had the cab fare because as I said before, I can't walk 7 miles to the courthouse because I will cough very hard and stuff.

I did say that not having a car is a good excuse.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
$50 bucks a day is the current rate for jurors, though for the first 3 days, your employer (whether you are full-time, part-time, or contract) is obligated by law to pay you your lost wages for those days.

-Bok

That must be where you live. Here in SC, there is no legal requirement for employers to pay you for jury duty and you get paid $5 per day. I also had to go every day not just the first day.

Syn, I know you're really hung up on the no money part, when I was broke I was too. But you need to make sure that you are focusing on the reason that will get you excused. If Massachusetts allows a hardship excuse if you have no car and no other means of transportation, that's what you need to focus on when explaining that you can't go. Lots of people can't afford to miss work for jury duty so they hear that all the time, and it's not considered an acceptable reason for not serving. Check your state or local government website to determine what you need to do regarding hardship excuses for jury duty. There is probably a form or other procedure to follow aside from just calling in.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:
Did someone say they got $60 for a day of jury duty? I think I got $13, plus $5 travel reimbursement. Fortunately at the time I had a good job and could spare the day, but it really upset me to think about people who weren't so fortunate.

To be fair, I might be remembering it poorly. It might have been $60 for at least two days. It was a while ago.

Syn, could you try talking to your landlord to see if they can give you a bit of a break on rent, if you're going to be down from usual by doing Jury Duty? If not, ask them to put it in writing when you try for the hardship waiver.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I did mail a postcard today I found to the jury folks.
Not sure what will happen.
And thanks, scifibum!

just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
Check your state or local government website to determine what you need to do regarding hardship excuses for jury duty. There is probably a form or other procedure to follow aside from just calling in.

Mass lets you apply for a hardship excuse online: www.MassJury.com
Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.