FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Job Update...I just got fired from a job that never scheduled me (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Job Update...I just got fired from a job that never scheduled me
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just hired today at Life Care of Ocala, which specialized in subacute care and rehab. It was my first choice other than the VA, and I am really excited.

It's a little scary too, as I am going to see a lot of things I have no experience with, as 80% of their people are rehabbing from major surgeries. I have a ton to learn, and am pretty excited over all. They pay is competitive, about what I was making as a manager for JCPenney (or a little less), and they allow overtime.

I have to wait 2 weeks for them to do a background check on me and check all my references, but other than that I am good to go.

I can't wait to start.

[ April 01, 2010, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Congrats!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks. [Big Grin]

Onward with life, then. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
See? I knew you wouldn't have a problem finding a job. [Big Grin] Congrats again.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!! [Smile]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool, Rob. Congrats! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] [Hat] [Hat] [Hail]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! What great work that is, helping people to recover from injuries or surgery! That's really awesome. Good luck. I'm sure you'll do a very good job.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
That's fantastic!!!
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Hoo-rah, rob!
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, Kwea!!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Kwea!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job old bean!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks everyone!

The temp place keeps calling me talking about working for Hospice, but to be honest doing that as a new nurse scares me a little. I mean, I know what I want to do, and that stuff is what I KNOW is great. And I am grateful for the opportunity, which most new nurses would never get......but there is a reason for that.

If you actually pay attention in school, guess what the biggest thing you learn as an LPN student is........that even experienced nurses don't know everything there is to know about nursing, and school just trains you to ask the right type of questions, and gives you a VERY general base of knowledge.

I am sure I'll do fine, but it is a little intimidating at first.

Kwea
Member # 2199

LOL

I just checked my email, and 2 other recruiters contacted me. [Big Grin] One of them from one of the largest staffing agencies around, and they don't take new LPN's according to all of their postings. I wonder if they actually LOOKED at the resume I sent them. [Big Grin]

I wonder if I could start a bidding war.......

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea to start a bidding war. I would send messages to your top few favorites saying "Well, I'm leaning strongly towards you guys because you're so wonderful but the problem is this OTHER place offered me more money and I have to think about my family..." etc. I'd be surprised if you didn't get back something saying "Oh, we'll meet their offer, no problem!", then rinse and repeat. Lol! Good luck.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I am having an issue with the staffing place.

Has anyone ever worked for one of these healthcare staffing agencies? I have a few questions on how they handled a few things, and I need someone who has been though this if possible.

I may be over reacting, but something just doesn't seem right.......but it could be that I am not used to how these places work.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I worked the first shift with this temp agency, and I liked it. We will see if my other issues were baseless now though.

I don't work another shift until I get paid for this one. [Big Grin]

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked for a healthcare staffing agency and I loved it. What sort of problems are you having?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I got my packet and inside it it mentioned that I was paying for my own drug test and background test. It seems that the agency should be paying for those, doesn't it?

Also, I went up to an orientation for hospice, which was a little bit over an hour away, and then it was canceled. I went back a week later, and it took over 2 hours. I had not received my packet from the agency yet, so I looked around and saw all of the other agencies having time sheets signed.

I asked how I was getting paid when I left, and THEN was told that we are a newer agency and as such hospice doesn't compensate us. So I spent over 4 hours driving to this (in addition to the 2 hr 15 min orientation itself), wasted 2 days, and then was the only person at the orientation not getting paid?

Not cool.

[ February 25, 2010, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
And quite possibly illegal.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah. I figured that too. I am not sure about the rules governing agency work, but it just didn't seem right to me, and quite frankly it pissed me off.

That being said, it is beyond rare around here for a staffing agency to hire a new LPN, or any new nurse, to work for them. It's quite an opportunity for me, and it allows me to experience many different types of nursing I wouldn't get to experience for years otherwise. And it pays well....between $21-22 an hour, at least. I just worked for 7 hours and took home $108, after she took out taxes and $10 for my testing.

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance that you were just supposed to work directly with the agency to get paid instead of getting some of the paperwork done through the people at the hospice?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I got my packet and inside it it mentioned that I was paying for my own drug test and background test. It seems that the agency should be paying for those, doesn't it?

I can't speak to nursing specifically, but requiring the employee to pay for drug tests, background checks, and other such pre-hire requirements is very common (albeit not universal).
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I did work though the agency, and what every other person there did regardless of what other agency they worked for was to take a time sheet and ahve the hospice people sign off. Then they turned it in to their agency and got paid, thtough the agency as always.

MY agency said "We don't pay for those things.".

Rivka, I have never heard of anyone being charged for their screening by any reputable company. I am not saying it doesn't happen, but that in all of my years in food service, retail, and warehouses, the employer was responsible for testing costs and background costs.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never experienced it personally, but a lot of what I've read about companies that do require drug tests, etc., backs up rivka's assertion. Though, most of what I've read applies to lower income, near minimum wage jobs, and labor disputes between unions and employers, which also tended to be somewhat lower/middle income jobs.

I too have never read it in relation to nursing, however.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!!!
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

"MY agency said 'We don't pay for those things.'"

That sucks. [Frown] I too suspect they are doing something wrong here. But when it amounts to less than a day's pay, and may cause some antagonism you probably want to avoid right now, you have no great options.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, I do. I got hired by another company, full time, less than 2 blocks from my house. [Big Grin]

Once the background check goes though (next week more than likely) I'll be working 40 hours a week there, at $18 an hour with full benefits.

I will still keep in touch with this agency, so if I want to work on one day off once and a while I can. Daily pay rocks....you get paid within 24 hours of submitting your time card. Well, of when they process the time card, anyways.

scifibum
Member # 7625

Congrats on the full time gig.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Yo kwea I'm really happy for you and imma let you finish but ...

um, yeah, no, just happy for you. Congrats!

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

lol

Thanks. I didn't know if any of this was NORMAL for temp stuff, as I have only worked for one once, and only a few times. It struck me as odd, but not so far out of the norm that I wasn't willing to try it.

But when the only shift they ever offer you is overnights it gets a bit old.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Well, I do. I got hired by another company, full time, less than 2 blocks from my house. [Big Grin]

Awesome.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you definitely made the right choice, Kwea. One of my best friends is a nurse of some kind or another (one of the lowest on the totem pole... nursing assistant? I don't remember the correct title) and he worked for an agency for years. He loved some of the flexibility but it did seem like they jerked him around a lot. He's been trying to switch over to full-time somewhere for a while now.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Certified Nursing Assistant? They do a ton of work, and the pay is decent....a lot of the nursing students in my class started as CNA's.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, I can't wait to get my first paycheck and dig myself out of this hole. I mean, we are ok, but not having any savings at all scares me.

I plan to buy a house this year, before prices start to rise again. I qualify for a VA loan, and am in the process of getting my Certificate of Eligibility for the VA loan process. I need at least 6 months worth of pay stubs, so the sooner this background check comes back and I can start working the happier I am.

Besides, I can always work here and there for the agency on my days off, or on vacation.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Certified Nursing Assistant? They do a ton of work, and the pay is decent....a lot of the nursing students in my class started as CNA's.

Right! CNA! That's what he is. Or, was. Like I said, he got sick of his agency jerking him around. He's going back to school now.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Good for him!

I just got the call today from the full time place saying I passed my background test, and my orientation will be next Tuesday. Yeah me!

The bad part is that the staffing agent just offered me a 3 day job, and said it was "to keep me from straying" to somewhere else, because she felt I was a good nurse and she wanted to make sure I made some money.

It will be about $500 for 3 8 hour days, with instant pay, so I am taking it. But now I have to tell her I am moving on to full time somewhere else. I just hope she will let me stay with her part time on call. I'd be glad to pick up 2-3 shifts a month for extra cash.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Kwea. Nice to have the problem of people fighting to hire you!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
$500 for three days or $500 a day?

And, congrats! [Smile]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

$500 for 3 days. If it was $500 a DAY I wouldn't even be considering switching jobs. [Wink]

Thanks. [Big Grin]

[ March 06, 2010, 06:31 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Roger that. [Smile]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

So...it's been almost 7 weeks, and to date I have worked 12 hours, all orientation. I am so fed up with the run around they kept giving me that when I called today, as I was told to, I ended up saying something I shouldn't have said. Had I intended on actually trying to work there after this, I wouldn't have called their training problem and process a cluster-F&%$ over the phone.

[Smile]

I made myself 100% available for them the past 7 weeks. It took them 3 weeks to call me back, and I had to call them 5 times to check. Took another week for the orientation class, and I was told I would be on the floor the following week.

Then they realized that their training person had not ordered more IV books, and I couldn't get to the floor for my 2 week training until I was IV certified, so I had to wait. I was told they would have the book for the course by that Friday. It took a week and a half to get it, though.

Then State showed up for the yearly inspection. That set me back another week. No one ever called me back when I called 5 times, all at times I had been TOLD to call.

I finally take the course, and the lady never faxed my test in to be graded, which takes 3-4 days at best. I showed up early, and the lady giving the course never showed. We had to track her down, and it took over 40 min just to get started. Then, after I take the course, she set me back another week by not sending the stuff in as promised. If it had been sent when I was done, as she said she was going to do, I would have been good to go.

So when I called yesterday and was told they had to RESEND it, and it would be at least another week before I could start, I lost it. I didn't yell, or call anyone names, but I did say their preparation was poor, and that none of this was my fault. The training manager agreed with me, and said it was their fault, and that she had never seen anything like it in 15 years with the company.

I gave up 14 shifts at $21 an hour the past 3 weeks so I could be ready to start. I didn't want to hold up my training. I had trouble getting in touch with these people, and half the time they never called me when they said they would.

I am pissed, worn out and just plain disgusted. Both by myself for letting my frustration get the batter of me, and at the way I was treated at this place.

So I went in and apologized to the training lady. It wasn't all her fault, and she was nice, if incompetent. Just because she messed up was no reason to be unprofessional. She said it had not bothered her, and that she was going to expedite my stuff as best she could. She also said they had really messed up, and THANKED me for being so patient over all. LOL

I told her I had been fired, and that I wasn't back to ask for a job still, as I didn't feel I had had been treated well. Then I asked to see the Director of Nursing. She refused to speak to me, and shut her door in my face after telling me I was "off the schedule".....as if I had ever been ON it in the first place! THAT WAS THE WHOLE FRIGGIN PROBLEM!!!

So rather than getting my IV certification paid for me, and working at a decent pay rate for a company right around the corner from my house, this job has COST me over $1400 in lost wages. Not to mention wasted time, 2 other jobs I turned down to work here, and the over all aggravation.
[Mad] [Mad] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Mad] [Mad]

[ April 01, 2010, 04:37 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

rivka
Member # 4859

[Frown]

That sucks.

Kwea
Member # 2199

You don't know the half of it. I left out some of the calls, 4 trips in while they weren't ready for me, and a few other things.

Plus, my wife's father is now in hospice, and not doing well. We just dropped almost $500 on a ticket for her to go see him.....and since I didn't work those hospice shifts, we are broke.

As in I can't even go to the funeral if it happens tomorrow. [Frown]

At least I still can pick up shifts for hospice now. I don't have any more scheduling conflicts. LOL

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm impressed that you've managed to hang onto your sanity amidst that sort of frustration. I'd have gone crazy by now.

Hopefully things can only get better from here on out!

Hang in there.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.