FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Job Update...I just got fired from a job that never scheduled me (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Job Update...I just got fired from a job that never scheduled me
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. To be honest I was very polite and understanding until yesterday. Overly so, actually. I understand that crap happens.

But 7 weeks from hire to work? Really? Who can afford that? I mean, isn't the reason MOST people apply for a job is that that want to work, and need cash?

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you have a really legitimate complaint Kwea. I think you should consider filing a formal complaint. I'm not sure who you should complain, perhaps the person above the one who hired you, maybe the licensing board. Does your state have an ombudsman?

Really, the situation you described is utterly inexcusable, it cost you hundreds to thousands of dollars and they fired you for getting angry about it. Don't stop by complain to hatrack, complain in writing to some who has power and influence over this jerks.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awful Kwea! I think I'd have lost it long before the 7 week mark. It's a testimate to your patience that you were able to wait that long before getting in their face about it.

Hopefully your father-in-law will pull through. [Smile]

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, I have the name and number of the regional vice president of the company. I am writing it up tomorrow, and will read it of to him, along with actual dates and times of each visit and phone call. This isn't my first rodeo. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Yeah, I have the name and number of the regional vice president of the company. I am writing it up tomorrow, and will read it of to him, along with actual dates and times of each visit and phone call. This isn't my first rodeo. [Big Grin]

I was waiting for that shoe to drop. LOL

I hope to hear that someone gets canned. I really have a special hate in my heart for incompetence.

Keep us updated.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I doubt they will, to be honest. I just think they should know how bad I wanted to work there, and the real reason I got mad. Judging by the voice mail I got from Adele, someone isn't being honest.

Regardless of why, 7 weeks is too long to wait for training or hours.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Sucks, doesn't do your situation justice Kwea, hang it there. Maybe follow up on some of those jobs your turned down?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, I am still working for the staffing place, waiting for shifts. They got some new clients, some of who are local to me, so THEY are happy my availability improved again. [Big Grin]

I called both jobs and left messages with the contact person I had, and applied at 4 jobs online yesterday. What sucks is that I'll probably spend 2-3 weeks looking for a new job, a week or two training, and THEN got on the floor. I'm really no better off, time wise, than I was at Life Care.

The GOOD news is I still have one job, regardless of how erratic it is, and I have my LPN licence, which means sooner or later I will be able to find work.

Kwea
Member # 2199

And, almost on cue....ACE called and asked if I wanted to work. [Big Grin]

On Easter. [Frown]

I am working 4-12 tonight, all the way out in Crystal River though. It's a hike, but it will work for now.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
ACE is the agency? Hope you continue to have the temp jobs you need until you get a steady job--at a place that will treat you right. Sorry to hear about all the mess and uncertainty and lost wages. [Frown]
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, ACE is the agency.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
actually, that might be a way to finally get through to the DON. "I'm interested but I need to have a conversation with her first."

It sounds like they still never got all of the preliminaries taken care of, so you're probably not actually eligible to take that shift even if you wanted to work on Easter. Which is your way out of the "I'm interested" portion of the above.

In either event, I'd make sure to get guarantees in writing regarding when these preliminaries will be completed, pay schedules and rates, etc. I'd probably also be sending the DON a letter confirming the contents of your conversation, including recapping the last seven weeks. And I would absolutely still have that conversation with the VP and copy him on all of that written correspondence between you and the DON.

And I do think you may have grounds to sue for lost wages and possibly some pain and suffering compensation. I would wait until after the conversation with the VP so you can have additional documentation to share with a lawyer, but I would definitely at least have a consultation meeting to see if it's worth pursuing.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Nah....different place. Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

I never quit my temp agency, ACE. was hired by Life Care of Ocala, and that is the place that was a problem. I will be following up with the VP, and will be documenting all of it.

Kwea
Member # 2199

And the hits keep coming......

I had a client for hospice, and she said she really liked me. So did her family.

I just got a call canceling my shift for tomorrow morning. She wants a female nurse. She said I was great, polite, friendly, and a great help.

None of which pays any of my bills.

While I understand her feelings, and of course they matter far more than what I am feeling....she is the hospice client, and her needs are the most important....it still sucks.

Huge.

Everyone wants a male nurse to help move clients and carry things. I guess we aren't suppose to know how to do anything else in a professional manner, though.

steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I doubt they will, to be honest. I just think they should know how bad I wanted to work there, and the real reason I got mad. Judging by the voice mail I got from Adele, someone isn't being honest.

Yes, lying to Cover themselves is a common tactic of imcompetent idiots.

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble getting full-time work. Good luck and keep looking. [Smile]

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks. I am sure it will work out, and there are other people calling me at least. We will see.....if I can get enough hours for hospice I think it would be perfect. I make my own hours, make good cash, and have a somewhat flexible schedule.

I need 3-4 shifts a week to maintain it though.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.