FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kaczynski's death (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kaczynski's death
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As human beings they are indeed irreplaceable, but only their immediate circle - family and friends - knew them as such. Consequently it is a tragedy for the families, but as for Poland, eh, it is not yet seriously discommoded.
People can be important and irreplacable to you even if you've never met them face to face.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Not as people, they can't.

As for the Poles, public hysteria does not a tragedy make.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

you're right. it's nothing.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Consequently it is a tragedy for the families, but as for Poland, eh, it is not yet seriously discommoded.

If you want a hint to sort of nudge you into the right direction, this event will be near-unanimously known, referred to, and remembered as a tragedy.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Its good to know that Knut Haugland's death didn't have an emotional effect on anyone he hadn't met personally. Heck, he wasn't even doing anything that would make it have political impact.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Consequently it is a tragedy for the families, but as for Poland, eh, it is not yet seriously discommoded.

If you want a hint to sort of nudge you into the right direction, this event will be near-unanimously known, referred to, and remembered as a tragedy.
That remains to be seen. In any case it's not a point where I would substitute the judgement of the media for my own.

quote:
It's good to know that Knut Haugland's death didn't have an emotional effect on anyone he hadn't met personally. Heck, he wasn't even doing anything that would make it have political impact.
I don't believe I treated it as anything other than a news story which would remind people of the events of WWII. I would certainly never dream of claiming that his death was a tragedy for Norwegians. Emotional effect != tragedy. Heck, I've been known to get emotionally affected by reading about completely fictional characters for the third time.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kama:
EU, silly.

That's what you want us to think!

*adjusts tin-foil hat*

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Perhaps you're not aware of the definition of tragedy, then? It is defined in terms of emotional reaction. If it causes great sadness, it is a tragedy.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:

That remains to be seen. In any case it's not a point where I would substitute the judgement of the media for my own.
No but you could use it to eventually figure out that this event is exactly what is commonly referred to as a 'tragedy' because it is a tragedy.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Emotional effect != tragedy. Heck, I've been known to get emotionally affected by reading about completely fictional characters for the third time.
Since it wasn't a tragedy, it must have been a comedy, neh? [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
Perhaps you're not aware of the definition of tragedy, then? It is defined in terms of emotional reaction. If it causes great sadness, it is a tragedy.

It is possible that you would find this definition in a dictionary; I don't think, however, that this is the common usage. Rather, people call something a tragedy if it has large, negative effects other than emotion. Thus, the German invasion was a tragedy for Poland: People were getting killed all over the place. The various partitions were tragedies: People lost long-standing rights. Katyn was a tragedy: The military had to be rebuilt from scratch after the war, leading to a much reduced ability to stand up to Russian demands. (Plus I'll admit to some scaling effects in murders; contrary to Stalin, a million deaths is more of a tragedy than a single one, even for a nation as a whole.) But the loss of a few officers and pols in this peacetime? A mere sadness.

By your standard, depending on the student, getting a 'B' on an essay could be a tragedy!

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Emotional effect != tragedy. Heck, I've been known to get emotionally affected by reading about completely fictional characters for the third time.
Since it wasn't a tragedy, it must have been a comedy, neh? [Wink]
By KOM's definition, most tragedies aren't even tragic!
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

You seem to be confusing tragedy with disaster; I agree that there's a certain amount of mixture of the definitions in common usage, though.

However, if you want to talk about usage as the defining characteristic, you're just digging even deeper. Tragedy has a long history of being used for the deaths of national leaders.

King of Men
Member # 6684

On reflection, it seems possible we are arguing semantics. Suppose I say that this is not a disaster for the Polish people, can we agree on that?

Edit: Wup, cross-posted with the above.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
On reflection, it seems possible you were only interested in miring the thread in a semantic discussion for your personal amusement.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I should point out that Stalin never actually said that popular phrase and was something his biographer made up, (albeit something the biographer believed it was something it would be in character for him to say).

But anyways, is 1,000,000 deaths is a statistic and a single death is a tragedy then that must mean that at some point as deaths approach a arbitrarily large enough it will become divergent and become a statistic but for as long as it approaches 0 it will be convergent and remain a tragedy.

Ergo 90 something deaths by virtue of being a small number is still a tragedy!!!

Math for the win! *tongue in cheek*

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

I don't think you understand what 'divergent' means; and as already established, I'm the only one in the thread who understands what 'tragedy' means. [Big Grin]
fugu13
Member # 2859

Ah yes, the definition that lines up with neither the dictionary nor common usage must clearly be the correct understanding . . .
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
I don't think you understand what 'divergent' means; and as already established, I'm the only one in the thread who understands what 'tragedy' means. [Big Grin]

Divergent is when you have an infinite series that goes to a large number while convergent goes to 0 or a single number.(I think)
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
"Tragedy is when I prick my finger. Comedy is when you fall down an open sewer and die."
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:

Or 'disaster,' apparently*

*actual english definitions do not apply to KoMspeak

Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
KoM,

I don't think this is a semantic issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the point you are making that Polish individuals who are unrelated to and never met the people killed by this crash do not need to be as upset as they are?

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

No, King of Men is saying that the deaths of the senior military officers is not a disaster to the polish people, arguably this is true since while it is harmful in the short run Poland is not conducting any wars for its existence right now so in a few years it should have fully recovered and in the short term can be covered by promoting the deputies.

In short it is a tragedy/disaster in the definition of something really really bad happening KoM however disagrees on whether it is a disaster to Poland to the same extant as say the Polish Partitions.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

Whether a disaster is a disaster to the extent of other disasters is a much different question than "is this event a disaster" or "is this event a disaster for Poland"

1. will the event be recalled as a disaster by the polish people: yes
2. will the event essentially be classified historically as a disastrous national event by poland: yes

oboy, time for some off-kilter irrelevant prescriptivism

King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
KoM,

I don't think this is a semantic issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the point you are making that Polish individuals who are unrelated to and never met the people killed by this crash do not need to be as upset as they are?

Indeed, it's also true that the Poles are overreacting a bit; but this happens with practically any public event in every nation. The US overreacted to 9/11, and also overreacted to the Tiger Woods thing. Norway went way too bananas over curling back in February. France is, frankly, making a mountain of hijabs where there ought to be a molehill of dress codes. And so on. It's an unfortunate side effect of having primate instincts wired to groups of about 150 combined with media networks bringing you issues of the day from 5 billion people. If Poland was a hunter-gatherer tribe, then having the top five warriors killed in one accident would indeed be a disaster, except to the ambitious young men of course.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.