FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best Episodes of a Sci-Fi Series (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best Episodes of a Sci-Fi Series
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Where is this in the series?

I started watching the Dr. Who (2005), with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. I'm 6 episodes in and it just hasn't grabbed me.

A friend recommended I skip until the next Doctor...which is where it seems the Blink episode is to be found.

Should I stick with the rest of the Eccleston Doctor? Or skip right to the next one?

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Season 1 of Dr. Who, and I thought it was fine, but I wasn't thrilled enough to keep on when Season 2 rolled around. In fact, I still haven't seen most of 2. But late last year BBC America ran a marathon of seasons 3 and 4, and I was flabbergasted by the improvement in quality.

I'd seen Blink and loved it, but I assumed it was a fluke. It is still probably the best single episode, but there are many episodes that come surprisingly close to that high mark. In a couple years the show went from a charming retro novelty to one of the best shows on TV.

I don't think you'll miss too much by skipping straight to season 3, and if you like it you can always go back and catch up. But don't make the same mistake I did--don't blow it off until you give Tennant (and Martha Jones) a chance.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Why season three of SGA is the best season:
  • 2 guest appearances by RDA (Real World and Return)
  • McKay & Mrs. Miller
  • Tao of Rodney
  • Sunday

*sniffle* I need more tissues . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Those really are some absolutely excellent episodes of television. In general, there were some great episodes that season. "Sateda" was great too. But you named the Big Three.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sateda was good, but it's not even in my top 5 for the season. Possibly not even in my top 10 -- it depends how I feel about Richard Kind that day. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Wow even for the season? What were your top 10 for the season?

OR more fun! What are your top ten for the SERIES. Muahaha.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, McKay-Carter gate bridge.

One thing I really liked about that era was the world-building with technology and characters naturally crossing over between series. Especially technology developing without reset buttons.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
OR more fun! What are your top ten for the SERIES. Muahaha.

Too hard. Especially since I haven't seen any of 4 or 5 for a while.

For S3, not in order of preference, my top ten (on days Richard Kind doesn't irritate me [Wink] ): Irresistible, Real World, Common Ground, McKay and Mrs. Miller, Return I, Return II, Irresponsible, Tao of Rodney, The Game, Sunday. If Kind is irritating me, take out the two Ir's and sub in Sateda and Echoes.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think of 4 and 5, The Shrine is probably my favorite. It's the one where McKay has the Alzheimer's like disease. Both the script and the acting were a cut above the rest.

You hit all the good stuff from 3 I think. It's been so long since I've seen some of these, I really wish I had the money to get the dvds and catch up, but I spent all my dvd money for the year on West Wing and BSG. Hard to pass up a sale. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I think of 4 and 5, The Shrine is probably my favorite. It's the one where McKay has the Alzheimer's like disease. Both the script and the acting were a cut above the rest.

Oh, agreed. That one was very good.

I think my main beef with S4 and 5 was that they took Michael -- a character I liked and had some sympathy for -- and turned him into a distasteful ogre. But yeah, there were some good episodes in the last two seasons too. If nothing else, there was the second Mrs. Miller ep. [Wink] Oh, and the one on Earth with Bill Nye and the guy whose name I never get right.

I don't own S5, but S4 will be up when I finish S3.

Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:
Sort of related: Adam Baldwin is the best Baldwin.

Does Firefly kind of remind anyone else of Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop?

Which is funny because Adam Baldwin isn't even related to the other Baldwins.

And Firefly does remind me of a cross between Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop. Cowboy Bebop had one of the best endings of a show I've ever seen.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which is funny because Adam Baldwin isn't even related to the other Baldwins.
He's got a genetic advantage.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Oh, and the one on Earth with Bill Nye and the guy whose name I never get right.

Neil deGrasse Tyson.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Right. Him! [Wink]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

You forgot Neil deGrasse Tyson? Outrageous!

I loved that episode too, not just because Rodney experienced some much needed character growth, but because of Nye and Tyson. I loved the part where Nye starts to give a little speech and Jewel Staite says something like "Now's not the time Nye!"

rivka
Member # 4859

I know who he is. I just always get his name wrong (and in a different way each time), so I have given up.

And yes, the two of them were great.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.