FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Sermon on the Seven Seals Applied to Recent History (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: My Sermon on the Seven Seals Applied to Recent History
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Continuing the discussion of what is derogatory or not, if I say to the one, "Your evidence would not convince you if you did not wish to be convinced", is that not the same as telling them they are fooling themselves? The one must follow from the other even if it is not said explicitly. And yet I do not see how I can discuss religion without saying this in one form or another; this is the core of my disagreement with theists.

You are right, both statements are derogatory, but there is a civil alternative. You could simply say "Your evidence is not objectively compelling." It conveys the essence of your argument without making any insulting judgements about why the other person finds it compelling. Unless, of course, the essence of your argument is not about the nature of the evidence but the nature of the person making it. In which case, you're right it can't be said in any non derogatory way. If that's your argument, it violates the spirit if not the letter of the hatrack user agreement.

And you are fooling yourself or socially inept if you can't see the difference between insulting someone and making a claim from which some derogatory inference might logically follow.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, KOM, Since you are willing to proceed without an arbiter. I'll start counting tomorrow morning. If you make it to June 20 without participating in a religious debate, I'll send you $20.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, you're on.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
It is going to be a long month.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
It is going to be a long month.

I'm quite looking forward to it. I figure I win either way. Sorry if you see it as a downside kate. I'll happily discuss religion with for the next 30 days if it helps.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

KoM doesn't really bother me as much as some others. At least his anger at religion is somewhat intelligently focused instead of just being angry flailing about.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Less KoM just means that the rest of us atheists need to step up our game.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Like I said, long month. [Wink]
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Drat.
It's going to be hard to step up my game while in Salt Lake City. I'd rather just pay a KoM offset.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

What I'm really looking forward to is KoM's clever ways to stay within the rules of the contest and still make good arguments.

Sometimes you get stuck in a rut, and you need some artificial constraints to make you stretch your legs.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
"Not derogatory" I might have been able to game, but "don't participate in religious discussion" seems rather more difficult. [Smile]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it seems that that would be much easier.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

When you get right down to it, very little of the Bible was given to "You all, everybody." It would be consistent to ignore almost all of it as being directed to people who are not us.

What I find most frustrating is that many people simply use that as an excuse to pick and choose the parts they want to follow, the parts that they expect others to follow, and the inconvenient bits that are "obviously" for someone else and don't apply.

The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Haha. Wow, you very nearly summed up my views. A tad more generalized, maybe:

"What I find most frustrating is that many people [snip] pick and choose the parts they want to follow, the parts that they expect others to follow, and the inconvenient bits that are "obviously" for someone else and don't apply.

ETA: And I can understand why they do it. There are inconsistencies and contradictions. You would lose your mind if you didn't do this, if you tried to internalize it as one coherent message. The people that I've met that state that there are aware of this picking and choosing, that the picking and choosing comes from the ethics and morals that they've developed independent from the Bible, are the ones that I can have nice, deep, mutually beneficial discussions with.

Those that state that it's The Truth, that it's all coherent, that it's infallible...I have trouble having a decent discussion with them.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take that one step further -- I find it frustrating that people believe the wrong things. Which, of course, means "different than me". [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Drat.
It's going to be hard to step up my game while in Salt Lake City. I'd rather just pay a KoM offset.

Maybe there should be an auction.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not make this easy. Maybe someone should start a Bible study thread?
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I hope this means I get a field promotion.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
quote:
I quoted nothing. Kmb quoted the verse, approvingly, as something that ought to guide the actions of Christians.
You're right. My bad.
Of course I'm right. I'm always right. I keep telling you people this, and you don't believe me. It's very frustrating. [Frown]
[ROFL]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.