FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality - What if Harry was smarter than Ender? (Page 23)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality - What if Harry was smarter than Ender?
Aris Katsaris
Member # 4596

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I enjoyed reading your suggestions. Do you have any other recommendations for rationality type fanfics, Potter/Worm or otherwise?
Should I be blushing? :-) I'm happy you enjoyed them.

Anyone here's some more suggestions of mine:

MLP: FiM fanfiction:

I highly recommend Friendship is Optimal -- you don't need to have any knowledge whatsoever in regards to "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic", other than the knowledge which you probably already have that it's a highly successful cartoon series featuring colorful magical ponies -- the story is not really quite an MLP fanfic, it's more of an original SF story dealing with MLP as part of its background. And it's awesome.

Once you've read that I also recommend the following alternate take on the Optimalverse: Friendship Is Optimal: Caelum Est Conterrens (Heaven is Terrifying).

Naruto fanfiction:

I *highly* recommend The Waves Arisen. I have only ever seen a handful of eps of Naruto, but I didn't have much trouble following the plot (though I didn't quite understand the role of some side-characters). And it's awesome.

Personally I'd also recommend Time Braid. Though it's probably not quite as deliberately 'rationalist' as Waves Arisen, it nonetheless involves characters acting intelligently, experimenting to discover the limits of their powers, seeking to maximize their potential, etc, etc. A warning about this fic which is a dealbreaker for some people: It includes teenagers having significant amounts of sex. Plus, there's also a surprise crossover with another anime series (which I was more familiar with) later in its plot. I loved that crossover personally, but people only familiar with Naruto and not with the other series may have been going "Whaaa???"

Twilight fanfiction:

I think Luminosity by Alicorn may have been the second deliberately rationalist fanfic ever written (with Harry Potter & the Methods of Rationality being the first).

This story and its sequel (Radiance) became a bit too grim towards the end for me to recommend quite as highly as my previous suggestion, but still I think it's required reading if you're interested in rationalist stories. Unlike Eliezer, Alicorn focuses a bit more on her protagonists having self-awareness and less on them doing science. (The story begins with Bella saying "My favorite three questions are, What do I want?, What do I have?, and How can I best use the latter to get the former?")

--

Lastly, do subscribe to http://www.reddit.com/r/rational/ and receive further suggestions from time to time. :-)

Posts: 676 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.