FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "I believe M. Night can ruin the world." (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "I believe M. Night can ruin the world."
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I get what you're saying. I don't entirely disagree, I just think the extent to which people are not only allowed but ENCOURAGED by these movies to have their faith so poorly thought out is frightening.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
The caps lock is extremely unnecessary, Blayne. Please edit that to normal case?

Also Syn I can definitely say a remake of FF7 wouldn't be awesome. The last remotely decent Final Fantasy was 3 (fanboys call it 6, but my SNES cartridge says 3, dagnabbit.)

Sorry Blayne, I have to agree with Dan. FF7 is overhyped. For most fanboys, FF7 was either the first Final Fantasy game they ever played, or the game that introduced them to the RPG genre.

The story is ok, but not great. It is about an Emo kid and a guy with mommy issues. Tifa's character design puts Barbie to shame (not to mention the back issues she must have!) and Aeris acts like a love drunk 13 year old. Barrett is a mix between Mr. T and (insert random rapper name here). The rest of the characters are forgettable and really do not add anything to the story. The only character that is remotely cool is Red XIII.

A remake would be great....With a completely different cast and script.

Final Fantasy VI was great. Final Fantasy V was as well. I also enjoyed Final Fantasy IX. Tactics is still one of my favorite games, and revolutionized the SRPG genre.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Put another way: the shallow part is not where their faith is challenged when their wife is killed. The shallow part is that their faith doesn't get better until something randomly good happens to them.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Final Fantasy Vll is great. Some overrate, but the gameplay and soundtrack are balling. It's story was urban contrast to RPGs at the time and the language in that game was surprising for it's time. But **** story; the gameplay was good.

Also a fully explorable Midgard would be awesome as ... a fully explorable midgard.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The plot holes in Signs bothered me so much that the ending was a failure anyway; the craptastic theology is...believed by a large number of people, so I'm willing to chalk that up to Your Mileage May Vary.

My issue is actually with the very idea that everything happens for a reason. I don't think it does, and I'm pretty offended by the suggestion that it is, and that when children/lives/businesses/sanity are saved, it is proof of the love of God, because of the inescapable conclusion that the people who lost children/lives/businesses/sanity are NOT loved by God. It doesn't work that the major bad things are random and don't mean anything and the good things are proof of love. I ESPECIALLY loathe it when people say that trials - specifically, the trials of the person they are talking to - is a blessing in disguise. No one who has actually undergone serious trials could say something so monumentally stupid. MNS was raised wealthy, in an intact family, was supported and achieved success in his difficult choice of career, is still married to his college sweetheart, both his parents are still alive, and hasn't (most likely) undergone major health problems. He has NOT experienced the kind of major sorrow that might give him some insight as to what it takes to come to peace with it, and the stupid, stupid, condescending ending of Signs is proof of it.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:
Final Fantasy Vll is great. Some overrate, but the gameplay and soundtrack are balling. It's story was urban contrast to RPGs at the time and the language in that game was surprising for it's time. But **** story; the gameplay was good.

Also a fully explorable Midgard would be awesome as ... a fully explorable midgard.

The gameplay was good. The materia system was something that had never been seen before in an RPG. It allowed for some awesome (Though gamebreaking) combinations. Of course, after a certain point Final Fantasy X could be broken too.

I guess I'm just sick of FFVII. All of the sequels, prequels, etc are just tiring. A sequel to FFX was welcome (Though it was horrible) because the story was left open to be able to accomodate it. FFVII had a definitive end. Sephiroth died, and Meteor was stopped, and Red XIII and his kids saw it covered in flora at the end. One of the most definitive endings of any Final Fantasy game.

The Genesis storyline from Crisis Core was interesting, and the secret ending from Dirge of Cerberus showed Genesis alive and apparently breaking out of where he was held. If they had built around that I think all of these sequels would be more bearable. Afterall, he was more powerful than Sephiroth ever was. He also contained something Sephiroth did not: A personality.

Make a sequel, ditch cloud and bring in a new protagonist, and include Genesis and I'll buy the game. Bring Sephiroth back yet again and use the same cast and I'm not going to bite. Its played out, its old, and I want something new.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Most games can be broken at some point. Theres some brain mushing way to break every n1 game. Certain classes in Tactics are over powered. Skies of Arcadia had an overpowered attack.

Also, FFX as a whole is way too easy. I got all the way to that caged mammoth sinspawn thing without using any spheres and it was my first JRPG. I died on the way, but I got there. The Sphere grid is pretty cool though. Game is okay.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Also, square says Final Fantasy X is a sequel to Vll. Completely serious.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Raymond,

quote:
I think I get what you're saying. I don't entirely disagree, I just think the extent to which people are not only allowed but ENCOURAGED by these movies to have their faith so poorly thought out is frightening.
'Allowed'? I get what you mean, though;)

I do agree that self-centered, ill-conceived notions of faith are pretty irritating. You've got us butts in seats for 90m minimum, give us something thought-provoking and meaningful! When you're talking about faith and life and death and suffering, it's not as though the subject matter isn't there.

quote:
Put another way: the shallow part is not where their faith is challenged when their wife is killed. The shallow part is that their faith doesn't get better until something randomly good happens to them.
I would dispute the shallow again on the same grounds as before, for a given definition of shallow, depending on how big the good thing is, how important.

Just to reiterate, I'm not saying that something good happening to one is an adequate reason to have faith, just that it might not be shallow. Unless you mean ill-conceived sort of shallow.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
What I've read of Shyamalan suggests that he got too famous too fast and started to believe his own hype. I'm very sorry to be hearing that Airbender is bad, though; the previews showed some promise, and I don't really want to see Shyamalan's star fall any further to satisfy some sense of schadenfreude. There just doesn't seem to be any "intervention" system for talented people who lose their way.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It makes a bit of sense.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
Just to reiterate, I'm not saying that something good happening to one is an adequate reason to have faith, just that it might not be shallow. Unless you mean ill-conceived sort of shallow.
I guess I am just using a different definition of shallow, but I don't think it's unfair to be... I dunno, "comparing relative shallowness." I mean, yes having your son not die is a big deal. But compared to the notion that there is an omnipotent god who awards salvation and damnation and is weaving vastly complex plans for humanity? I realize that that may not FEEL like that big a deal compared to your son who you just almost lost, but the fact is, it IS a bigger deal, if true.

If your faith in that can waver and rekindle due to events in your life, however important those events, that makes your faith pretty shallow compared to what your faith SHOULD be if you were truly comprehending what it was you had faith in.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I can agree with that, the faith itself being shallow and not the person in cases like dead loved one or not dead loved one. Shallow as in lacking knowledge, not necessarily shallow as in petty.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Unnecessary semantic argument FTW!

I was about to follow my last post up with "I guess that it makes more sense to judge humans by how shallow they are compared to other humans as opposed to abstract ideas that don't even necessarily mean anything." But I would also note that I'd often define shallow as not merely lacking knowledge but uninterested in acquiring more. (Like, someone interested in a hot girl who doesn't care about her personality is specifically uninterested in learning more interesting things about her.)

Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
quote:

It makes a bit of sense.
People came to this conclusion based on a few lines spoken by an NPC late in the game. Most people think the lines are just a homage to FF-VII, but some people take it literally.

The same thing happened with Xenogears and Xenosaga. There was a lot of homage, but that is all.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I vagelely recall some Shrug of God that implied this was the case on part of the developers.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Halo/Marathon.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

No, but since like 2005 or something, square's been saying that it is. Not that it matters.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Blayne, for the love of God can you PLEASE use real words to say things?
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

That'd be pretty mainstream, Raymond;)
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:

It's your own fault that you keep reading his posts. Blayne has made it crystal clear that if you are not fluent in TVT, you are not part of the intended audience for his posts.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
That'd be pretty mainstream, Raymond;)

Dunno which specific post this was referring to. God the conversation in this thread is so weird.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Ahh, actually it's referring to a different conversation about the same movie, sorry Raymond.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:

Ban tvtropes references
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think Last Airbender was that bad. Some of the acting was stiff, but not more so than that of other okay movies. The big problem I had was that I couldn't keep track of who everybody was. (I've never watched the cartoon.)
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to leave during the expository scene following the appalling "EARTHBENDERS! THERE'S EARTH ALL AROUND YOU!" scene.

When we had the extreme close-ups of Ah-ng, Katara, and Soak-ka, and we're treated not just to terrible exposition but also to bizarre, inhuman repetition of that exposition. It was just too much.

Aang: They said I couldn't have a family.
Katara: Why did they say you couldn't have a family?
Aang: That's what I asked! They said I couldn't have a family because...

And I knew that it was time to go. Plus, we were hungry, and the movie wasn't distracting us from our hunger.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
i have no idea what was up with those close facial shots.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Lord, the repeats of the dialogue were horrible.

Five minutes in -

Character 1: wow, that flash of light will draw the attention of everybody around.

Flash to a mysterious man on a ship: Wow, look at that Light shining, let's get it.

Flash back to character 1, and his attacked village. "Those people here aren't here by coincidence. They're here because of that flash of light. You know, the one we saw 2 whole minutes ago. Yeah, that one. They're definetly here because of that.

The dialogue was bad. Through the whole movie.

Also, it was my understanding that in the series, all of the imprisoned Earth Benders were on a ship made of plastic or something, so that they couldn't break out by using their earth bending skills.

Oh, and the special effects were bad, too. I thought they looked cheesy. And the fight scenes were stupid; I could see them *not hitting each other*. That was abhorant. I've seen stage combat live that was better and more convincing than the battles they had in this movie.

Oh. Oh. OH! They did Tai Chi for long amounts of time for no apparent reason. It was silly.

And they didn't really talk much about this "Spirit world", though they did assure us it was important. And aparently the dragon wasn't supposed to talk. But it did, which really made some fans angry. I just didn't know why it was talking nonsense and using modern English Colloquialisms.

The end.

PS: Please excuse my fantastic inability to articulate myself intelligently right now. I've just gotten overly excited and eschewed proper grammar and punctuation for a little bit. I'll be back to normal soon. Maybe... [/self-indulgence]

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When we had the extreme close-ups of Ah-ng, Katara, and Soak-ka, and we're treated not just to terrible exposition but also to bizarre, inhuman repetition of that exposition. It was just too much.
Ugh, the close-ups. Did, like, a 3-year-old get a hold of that camera? Or maybe the cameraman was disgruntled.

Also, what 12-year-old boy even thinks about having a family? (By family, I'm assuming a wife and kids.) The movie didn't need to give us a reason for Aang wanting to run away. Anyone with a thread of human understanding would figure it out on their own.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I can accept crappy movie status, and still be willing to pay five bucks to see this film... but mispronouncing main characters names that were created to spoken in english. I am tempted to destroy my copy of Lady in the Water just to spite M. Night.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

ong

soak-a

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite was Ahvatar or Ovatar or however it would be spelled.

I mean, they can't even use the "oh we're pronouncing it right and fixing that silly show!" excuse.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you've decided to Take It To The Forums Blayne, I'll tell you why you're Hitting People's Berserk Button.

The Shrug of God comment and indeed most of your tropisms are played straight, and that's convenient. But when you start seeing everybody's comments and think, "This looks like a job for AquaTVTropesman!" It gets Incredibly Frustrating. We've already got words that work just fine for saying just about anything, even if you feel the need to add flourishes. It's like you see TVTropes as Mundane Utility, while the rest of us see it as the Department of Redundancy Department. You're inverting Obfuscating Stupidity. Even I feel the need for a Precision F Strike right about now, but I'm not a Cowboy Cop.

You need to do a Heel Face Turn, and double quick. /tropes

Look maybe the idea of crafting ideas into pithy phrases you can toss into your sentences appeals to your mind. Maybe it helps you say what you want to say. But it's also getting in the way of people caring what you have to say. It's sorta like Ender's game. They have their own battle school slang and it's how they talk. Now if you just rolled up and started using your own slang, you'd be ignored unless you were really charismatic in which case you'd create memes left and right.

If that's what you are trying to do by all means continue. If you are right all the haters will continue to hate but maybe maybe somebody will start using your manner of speaking. That person will convince another to start, and pretty soon in one small way the language changes because of you. But if you want people here to enjoy talking to you, you won't.

I'd rather you talk like a five year old as long as your grammar is correct. TVTropes is fun in that you can see ideas boxed up in phrases as I said before. But it's not designed to be a means of communication. If it was, you'd have something like A Clockwork Orange except it's English with more English slang and no Russian.

People aren't interested in conversing with somebody who changes their manner of speaking that much. It's just too much inconvenience. What's worse is not only are you letting TVTropes change your manner of speaking, you constantly refer to it as some sort of authority when discussing opinions. In the minds of many you are now synonymous with TVTropes. Sorta like Scott R and writing, Ron Lambert and Evangelism, Lisa and Israel. Maybe you want the label, but nobody means it in any friendly sense of the word.

I know you aren't talking about it as much as you used to, I'm not even sure if it's right for me to as you to stop, technically you can talk however you please. But don't expect people to bend over backwards trying to understand you. It's hard enough to communicate on a forum without intentionally obfuscating your point by using references and inside jokes nobody gets.

Well, I should have been studying all this time, and I probably should have fixed up my trope sentences so they flow better, but frankly it gave me a headache trying to do it.

[ July 08, 2010, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sorta like Scott R and writing,
Aw. Um...thanks?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
Sorta like Scott R and writing,
Aw. Um...thanks?
I didn't mean it negatively Scott. I wasn't trying to connect negative people with negative things, just people with things. [Smile]

edit: Also, I'm not brave enough to ask what I'm known for.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

S'okay. The funny thing about that is that there are more successful authors here-- and more talented writers, too. I guess I just have a bigger mouth than them when it comes to story telling.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Man, I was totally going to jump on that. (Just between you and me, Scott, BlackBlade totally meant it like that. We were all gabbing and laughing about it earlier.)
Scott R
Member # 567

You? Gabbing? How out of character. [Smile]
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Better to have gabbing be in character than have being associated with good writing be out of character, as BlackBlade secretly indicated! [Big Grin]
Scott R
Member # 567

It's also in character for you to be a complete mook.

Mook.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Aww, now I'm all nostalgic.
Scott R
Member # 567

I know! It sucks.

Not as much as Pat, but still...

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Great post, BlackBlade. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the best thing, Blayne, would be to go ahead and still reference TvTropes, but change the manner in which you do so.

Instead of:
quote:
I vaguely recall some Shrug of God that implied this was the case on part of the developers.
Perhaps say:

quote:
I vaguely recall reading some quotes from the developers that implied that this was the case, though they were largely non-committal about the whole thing. (On TvTropes, that's called a "Shrug of God")
You still get to reference TvTropes, but you aren't using trope names as a substitution variable for some concept from that site. I strongly doubt anyone would object to those sorts of references. Then they aren't the meat of your posts, but rather just additional flavor.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think SDA is evangelical having been SDA, but OK...

I reckon I am known for general randomness.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Since you've decided to Take It To The Forums Blayne, I'll tell you why you're Hitting People's Berserk Button.
Bwha, when did I do this?

quote:
The Shrug of God comment and indeed most of your tropisms are played straight, and that's convenient. But when you start seeing everybody's comments and think, "This looks like a job for AquaTVTropesman!" It gets Incredibly Frustrating. We've already got words that work just fine for saying just about anything, even if you feel the need to add flourishes. It's like you see TVTropes as Mundane Utility, while the rest of us see it as the Department of Redundancy Department. You're inverting Obfuscating Stupidity. Even I feel the need for a Precision F Strike right about now, but I'm not a Cowboy Cop.

You need to do a Heel Face Turn, and double quick. /tropes

At first I was like this [Eek!] [Frown] but then I became like this [Evil Laugh]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
The caps lock is extremely unnecessary, Blayne. Please edit that to normal case?

Also Syn I can definitely say a remake of FF7 wouldn't be awesome. The last remotely decent Final Fantasy was 3 (fanboys call it 6, but my SNES cartridge says 3, dagnabbit.)

Sorry Blayne, I have to agree with Dan. FF7 is overhyped. For most fanboys, FF7 was either the first Final Fantasy game they ever played, or the game that introduced them to the RPG genre.

The story is ok, but not great. It is about an Emo kid and a guy with mommy issues. Tifa's character design puts Barbie to shame (not to mention the back issues she must have!) and Aeris acts like a love drunk 13 year old. Barrett is a mix between Mr. T and (insert random rapper name here). The rest of the characters are forgettable and really do not add anything to the story. The only character that is remotely cool is Red XIII.

A remake would be great....With a completely different cast and script.

Final Fantasy VI was great. Final Fantasy V was as well. I also enjoyed Final Fantasy IX. Tactics is still one of my favorite games, and revolutionized the SRPG genre.

As someone whose played and beaten FFI I take offense to this, and also just because it became overhyped doesn't make it a bad game, that's Hype Backlash, it is still on its own merits for its time a genuinely objectively great game.

A) Pionered CGI cutscenes and 3D gameplay from FF6's 2d 16bit character designs. Kinda like how Mario 64 changed stuff before that.

B) Scifi focus in FF which was steampunk previously, awesome way to breakout the genre and encourage some experimentation.

C) You cannot criticize the character design without remembering context, the polygons for when the designs are roughly a result of the limitations of the engine. Her actual breast size is much more reasonable as shown in Advent children (B cup I think, no more than C).

quote:
It is about an Emo kid and a guy with mommy issues.
Cloud's angst is hardly emo, he's not given enough credit for the growth he goes through as a character throughout the game, and remember at the beginning when he was amnesiac he was actually fairly upbeat and cheerful.

quote:
and Aeris acts like a love drunk 13 year old.
I see her more as an Yamato Nadeshiko/Team Mom, the relationship between her and cloud or lack there of was to me something more of an unrequited crush on Cloud's end and something of a replacement goldfish friendship on Aeris's. (I will kill the next mofo who uses "Aerith")

quote:
Barrett is a mix between Mr. T and (insert random rapper name here).
First of all how is this a bad thing even if true? Secondly he seemed more like a Mr T and Angry Black guy cross, Berret never rapped afaik, just swore alot and loudly. His back story was also to my mind fairly deep, he was the leader of AVALANCH after all and the reasons driving it were fairly thoughtout and for the time refreshing.

quote:
The rest of the characters are forgettable and really do not add anything to the story. The only character that is remotely cool is Red XIII.
Shennanigans! I call this out as subjective opinion, many people have their own favorites from the shippers who prefer Aerith to Tifa (or Aerith WITH Tifa), Cid has his own dedicated fanbase (he freakin better as hes the ensemble darkhorse in nearly everygame), Yufie's a freaking NINJA kleptomaniac that would put Tasslehoff to shame, seriously if your willing to go through the backstories to each of the characters they get fairly interesting past their introductions.

Look, look, I can see how much of what made FF7 unique and excellent may not cut the same grass as well now as before, that's understandable everything in the story that was fresh then has been tried, bulldozed, and purged with fire and salt in many other games since then and yes I can see how some of the bad direction in games may have something originated with FF7.

But this doesn't make it a bad game, just a game that hasn't aged as well as say Earthbound.

For when it was released it was probably the closest thing to solid gold ever released on console and the fact that it made the PS1 and by extension the PS2 the outstanding successes they are is credence to this.

Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
(I will kill the next mofo who uses "Aerith")

I call this out as subjective opinion, many people have their own favorites from the shippers who prefer Aerith to Tifa (or Aerith WITH Tifa),

[Confused]
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
I don't think SDA is evangelical having been SDA, but OK...

I reckon I am known for general randomness.

It occurs to me that I've been entirely too mellow. I've got to brush up on my outspokenness.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Fully explorable midgard.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.