FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 2010 - Things You're Proud Of (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 2010 - Things You're Proud Of
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Might be nice to say looking back at 2010 if there is anything you are proud of in particular or that just stood out.

Personally, I'm proud I wrote a book and was a somewhat good friend to those around me.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm proud I made major steps in my career and moved to New York even though it would have been easier to stay at home.

(Great idea for a thread!)

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm proud to have the privilege of moderating a community that is such a huge boon in my life.

Also, I was very proud to find that when placed in a circumstance where I was totally on my own without friends or supervision, that I was able to thrive.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I am proud of starting a new career, even if it has not worked out perfectly.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm proud I finally negotiated a contract for a book I've written... The Black Dog and Other Stories will be out in the spring.
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm proud I started working out with a personal trainer, have stuck with it for 6 months, and am much stronger and healthier now as a result (if not much thinner)!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm proud of all the awards I won, and that I'm finally applying to grad school.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm proud of my generally positive transition into college, despite some health issues.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my PhD.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm proud that I've never given up, even when things were hard.

I'm proud I wrote more stories, and filmed the most ambitious student film I've done yet. (Even if the result isn't great.)

I'm proud I made new friends, and did my best to make up with old ones I'd lost.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my first "real adult job." And so far seem to be doing pretty well.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm proud that I stuck it out even when things were hard and finished three semesters toward my master's degree.

I'm proud I never gave up and kept applying and kept trying to get a job even when things were bleak.

I'm proud that I have managed to do a decent job in difficult circumstances so far this school year.

I'm proud of my family, and the way they've pulled together to support each other after a recent tragedy.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I am proud I developed a website ( http://www.fridgetofood.com ) and followed my dreams, even though it meant making some extremely hard choices.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote several short stories I am proud of, even if they aren't published (and I think one at least needs some skimming- lose a few hundred words). I sewed my first quilt which was a lot of work (twin size quilt). And I had a baby- I don't know if I can be proud of it, but it is a good use of my time. [Smile]
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Unmaker:
I'm proud I finally negotiated a contract for a book I've written... The Black Dog and Other Stories will be out in the spring.

Congrats, David!
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm proud that I set personal records for myself in the 1 mile, 2 mile, 5K, and 10K categories, this year.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm proud for having preached my first sermon earlier this year.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

Destineer, thanks. What's really cool is that at the same time a local non-profit that promotes art in south Texas is helping me publish the science fiction series I've been working on for like forever.

The first volume, called The Blue-Spangled Blue, is already out.

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm proud to have learned a third language sufficiently well to read a local newspaper with good general understanding.

I'm proud to also be publishing my first set of cultural columns in a popular Czech magazine, which will be published starting with this year's Christmas Issue.

I'm proud to have made the decision to pursue a career in the State Department (can you be proud of that if you haven't done it yet?)

I'm proud to have maintained a reading schedule of a minimum of two hours a day (most days) of political and economic fair for the past six months.

I'm proud to have started attending Bikram Yoga classes once again.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
Originally posted by Unmaker:
Destineer, thanks. What's really cool is that at the same time a local non-profit that promotes art in south Texas is helping me publish the science fiction series I've been working on for like forever.

The first volume, called The Blue-Spangled Blue, is already out.

I'm looking forward to reading it!
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I was accepted into medical school.

--j_k

[ December 13, 2010, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:

I'm proud to have made the decision to pursue a career in the State Department (can you be proud of that if you haven't done it yet?)

I hope so! And I hope to see you there someday.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
After nearly 13 years of smoking, I finally quit at the end of January, and have actually not had a cigarette, or a drag off a cigarette since. [Smile]
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, some of these accomplishments are really awesome.

quote:

After nearly 13 years of smoking, I finally quit at the end of January, and have actually not had a cigarette, or a drag off a cigarette since.

quote:

and others =)
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

This is a great thread! So many people have done amazing things this year.

Is it okay to mention other people we're proud of? My oldest daughter has received four full tuition scholarship offers. [Smile] We're mulling over which one to accept.

My husband was named Paramedic of the year by the regional medical association due to his dedication to education and mentoring of younger medics and his high resuscitation rates using new cardiac drugs in the field. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

Belle, that's awesome! Just the economic coolness alone... heh.
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm proud that after 26 years of teaching that I've tried some things that really push my comfort zone out pretty far, and that they've actually worked with my fifth graders!
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

I won the Cushing Memorial Prize in the History and Philosophy of Physics.
Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
Is it okay to mention other people we're proud of? My oldest daughter has received four full tuition scholarship offers.
Awesome! May I ask which schools?
Unmaker
Member # 1641

Holy smoke, dude! That prize is an amazing honor for you... fantastic!
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to everyone!

Destineer, what a feather in your cap. Well done.

quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
I was accepted into medical school.

--j_k

Welcome to the profession. [Smile]
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Destineer, the schools she has received scholarships to are the University of Alabama, University of Mississippi (Ole Miss), Troy University, and the University of North Alabama.

Her #1 choice is Ole Miss because of the reputation of their honors college. But we are hoping for them to offer a bit more to cover room and board too. So, we'll see. But regardless, I am extremely proud of her!

RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
I found this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwtAU0XyMj8&feature=related
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

Thanks, guys! It was especially nice to win this prize because my advisor was the first honoree.

Belle, that's a wonderful set of choices. And though I don't know the southern universities as well as I should, it sounds like you have the right priorities. A good honors college can be paradise for a dedicated student. It makes a big difference at a large state school, where the top level students are normally very good and the weakest students can be very weak.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to everyone!

I'm proud of the way homeschooling is going for my eldest two (my oldest is "official" now-- enrolled per the laws of the State of California in the TARDIS Academy, a private school duly established in our home. [Big Grin] )

I'm proud of the fact that I have, during this pregnancy, been able to, with the help of Hypnobabies, overcome much of my trauma and PTSD from my separation from Maggie shortly after her birth, and become a more positive pregnant lady this time around than I have ever been (not to mention learned to control my own body with my mind so well that I've been much more comfortable.) It's pretty cool for me, though it may not seem big to anyone else.

I'm proud of the fact that I've been able to be the "bigger person" in several sensitive interpersonal situations that really hurt me, let go, and move on with what's important (again, not big for others, but big for me.)

I'm proud of many others around me, too, but those are the big ones for me.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
the TARDIS Academy
lol, nice. [Smile]
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:
I won the Cushing Memorial Prize in the History and Philosophy of Physics.

Wow, congratulations! [Party]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hesitant to post because I haven't actually done anything yet. But, I've put in notice at work and agreed to join Americorp. I'm moving to Montana in January to do data analysis for a financial literacy program.

I've lived in the Dallas area my entire life. I see my siblings and friends I've known since high school regularly. I've had a stable job for three and half years. It's a good life, but it's just felt so stagnant and lacking in direction for the past year or so. I'm proud of my decision to put my directionlessness to good use and hopefully get a great experience out of it.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

This is a great thread! [Smile] Amanecer, there is no reason not to post that - the decision alone is something to be proud of. You'll have many more things to be proud of next year, too. [Smile]
Sala
Member # 8980

I'm proud of all of the children's lit that I've read in the last four months. I co-teach a reading class with the gifted teacher, and the kids all are reading different novels, some of which are in the 350 page range. I felt like I couldn't be a good teacher without having read what the kids are reading. I need to know what they've read so that I can talk to them about it! I've read over 50 books in these five months, and the kids are impressed that I can converse with all of them about all of these books. Even the gifted teacher hasn't read all of them yet! [Big Grin]
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sala, that's great!

Are you on Goodreads, by any chance?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
I am proud of the fact that this year I undertook my first solitary international trip.
Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have moved countries, started my first "real job" (even though it has stolen the rest of my life away) and survived.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

Rivka, What's Goodreads? (I'll go check it out right now.) I guess I should be asking, since I'll be checking it out, why do you recommend it?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Goodreads is a great site for readers. (I know some teachers use it as well as a classroom resource, but I expect your students are under the legal age (13)?)

I've been a member since mid-2007, a volunteer librarian (record-cleaner-upper) since late-2007, and a (very part-time) employee since mid-2008. I love the place. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I missed this thread and so deleted my minilandmark.

Despite having a 2.8 GPA at the end of my Freshman year, I just graduated Cum Laude this semester (3.5 years total).

I wanted to be a sub during the interim period between grad school and graduating, since I am a mid-year graduate, but all the sub pools were full in my area. Turns out that my godbrother can get me a job at Citibank. So that's nice. It will be my first real job.

And I just received a phone call today that revealed that I have been recommended by the State department to Finland for a research Fulbright.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

Rivka, I've joined and put in the 60 OSC books I've read, though I haven't put any comments on them yet. [Smile] Thanks for pointing me in this direction. And yes, my kids are too young.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a Masters degree (barely meeting my goal of having it before age 22) and sucessfully taught at the college level for the first time.

Also, I also grew my hair out, succeeding at a New Years resolution from last year (the resolution was to let my hair grow for a year). I'm dangerously close to a cool, pirate-like ponytail. As it is I get equal parts "dirty hippy" and Jesus lookalike comments.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
After four years of trying, I finally made it past my 50,000 for NaNoWriMo. *happy dance*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

Excellent, Jon! Is the recommendation as good as an acceptance, or does Finland sometimes turn down recommended applicants?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.