FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking Trilogy)

Author Topic: The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking Trilogy)
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody read this book series?

I just finished the first book, "The Knife of Never Letting Go". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Knife_of_Never_Letting_Go

I thought it was rather difficult to get into at first, but then got hooked.

Looking forward to any other thoughts?

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the last book yet (library holds), but the series is really, really good.

Also, for some reason it has been classified as "young adult". While it is very good reading for young adults, so are most 'adult' books. The only things that seem to make it young adult are 1) young main characters and 2) the main character prefers not to curse. Of course, if by being labeled young adult more people are more likely to read the series, that's great...

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Really just could not possibly love this series more. The last book, Monsters of Men, is my favorite thing I read in 2010.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, such enthusiastic reviews. Those plus reading the first few lines of the plot synopsis on wikipedia were enough to convince me to order this book from the library. I'm looking forward to reading it.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:
The last book, Monsters of Men, is my favorite thing I read in 2010.

I loved the series as a whole and even enjoyed Monsters of Men but I struggled (for lack of a better word) the most with it, out of the three. I felt The Ask and the Answer was the strongest in the series.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
You struggled with it? How come? Or can you not tell me without using spoilers too huge for even a spoiler warning? [Razz]
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
I initially struggled with the swamp dilect, all of the Noise, unnatural setting, and even just the writing style. However, by Chapter 3 or 4 I was hooked.
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
***SPOILERS***...potentially

I think it was a matter of adjusting to the voice of The Land; Viola and Todd's narrations were fine, I was used to them, but when The Return and The Sky were introduced, it took some time for me to figure out who was saying what, even if (when? I can't remember the format at the moment) it identified the narrator or switched font types before a new section.

Like RotR, it didn't take very long for me to overcome whatever issues I had and as I said, I did enjoy it.

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.