FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ender's Game movie, again (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ender's Game movie, again
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
I could pull the Sword from the stone.

Before you kick it into oblivion,

Let me take a crack at it.

THOR

Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
remember this?

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Tangled is a pixar collaborative which applied nearly every lesson that pixar has learned about the balance between realism and stylized representation in order to avoid the Uncanny Valley (for more on the subject, see the failures of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and Polar Express). The middle ground for motion animation that it has found most closely matches that of the old animation studios in America.

If the latest 'realistic animation' venture -- called, I think, 'mars needs moms' -- fails, expect for us to stay there.

welp

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/03/14/mars-needs-moms-may-be-one-of-hollywoods-biggest-bombs/?mod=google_news_blog

quote:
Disney’s latest 3-D animated film “Mars Needs Moms” may be one of the biggest box office bombs of all time.

Though released widely in 3,117 theaters over the weekend, the 3-D animated adventure earned a paltry $6.8 million. According to the box office tracking site, Box Office Mojo, that ranks among the top ten worst openings ever for a film distributed that broadly. Taking into account the high cost of tickets for 3-D and IMAX screens, along with the film’s reported $150 million budget, the sales numbers look downright disastrous.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "Mars Needs Moms". I hadn't heard of it at all before I saw it in the theater, not a single preview!

That being said, the movie did sorta stink. The plot line has basically been done before (just not on an intergalactic scale) and the level of predictability was high, even for a kids movie.

My son and cousin both were entertained, but it certainly wasn't anything special. I can't even imagine why anyone would want to see it in 3D.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

- posted      Profile for Rawrain   Email Rawrain         Edit/Delete Post 
For this movie to work out best, I am going to have to say, it needs to be animated... I'm not without reasons ._.
1. No 5-10 year old are as smart in current times as in the book... oh they might think they are, but no, futuristic setting where money seems not a problem and the best possible education is necessary children-eat-your-hearts-out.

2. Animated Buggers battles would be totally awesome ._. and it would make it look a little less Starwars...

3. There are few Teenish Animated movies...

4. If it is Animated all the characters can look exactly like they need to... and not like, what the next best person looks like /:

5. Did I mention the it would seem like starwars..

6. It's harder to imagine it any other way ...

*7. DO NOT 3D IT, I know many people who get headaches-me being one of them- it's overdone, and takes longer to produce.
mooo
-----------
As far as the movie being an Anime, there's potential, Titan A.E. is a BA movie, if you haven't seen it do so!
-----------
I don't like the review they make Ender seem bi-polar....

Message for OSC- If they stretch to far from the story or make things seem true that aren't... just pull the plug... I would rather see the 'making of' the movie fail, than the movie itself... I can't handle another Eragon ):

[ March 19, 2011, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Rawrain ]

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justme7775
Member # 12533

- posted      Profile for justme7775   Email justme7775         Edit/Delete Post 
As an animator myself and a lover of EG it has always seemed clear to me that this is a complete CGI movie. Any attempt at trying to make it in any other form would miss the mark. Between motion capture and the great facial expressions they can capture now (i.e. avatar), it should really be a simple choice - CGI.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
@Rawrain, well there ARE children who are, but they are unlikely to be actors and unlikely to still be old enough for the parts.

Though if animated you could get slightly older child voice actors who still sound young enough to be believable and yet still intelligent enough to pull it off.

@Titan A.E I loved it.

@Star Wars NO, Star Wars is a BAD direction, Ender's Game is generally in the middle of the Moh's Scale of scifi hardness and thats what makes it immersive so much seems still like its our technology yet so much is just different.

In fact I would vote for no animated spaceship battles shown AT ALL unless it was an in universe propoganda film (as in the book).

Have all the 'battles' be points on a grid, it can be an extremely flashy points on a grid that will have great defictionalization video game potential eventually like a 3D version of the space game Haruhi plays against the computer club but no actual battles.

Though I would love to see the crew actually shown on screen when Bean does his prayers.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

@Blayne
I still disagree about children being as intelligent as those in this book... Especially including Ender and Bean....
But seriously these kids were taking something like high school AP Classes before age 10, and I can't even imagine how much harder they were in B.S. or even C.S. .... I hear every now and then about child prodigies... but they only seem interested in the arts which is absolutely useless unless they become entertainers and even more useless against an invading alien race..unless....

@ As for space battles, I would like to see a little bit of what's happening from the battle side of what Ender's team is commanding... and most importantly showing the Bugger home planet being completely wiped-out by the Little Doctor..
Seeing that in CGI on a High-Def t.v. would probably be the coolest scene ever... to see something explode into tiny little specs then form back together ._. would be like recording a sheet of glass exploding then throwing it in reverse awesome.

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rawrain:
and most importantly showing the Bugger home planet being completely wiped-out by the Little Doctor..

Hey! What about a spoiler alert??

Just kidding.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
whether or not this movie is animated or somehow attempted embarrassingly with a cast of real children, there's no way you wouldn't have depictions of the on-site battle scenes.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope Andrew sings this song in the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xj08-_Rmq4&feature=related

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rawrain:
@Blayne
I still disagree about children being as intelligent as those in this book... Especially including Ender and Bean....
But seriously these kids were taking something like high school AP Classes before age 10, and I can't even imagine how much harder they were in B.S. or even C.S. .... I hear every now and then about child prodigies... but they only seem interested in the arts which is absolutely useless unless they become entertainers and even more useless against an invading alien race..unless....

Well, obviously we don't have an Bean's running around - but since he's a special case, I don't think we'd have a problem having a child playing him.

I think we (the human race) actually HAVE produced a number of children with Ender caliber intelligence, if not with his particular gift for empathy. Certainly we produce children that would qualify for battle school. In fact I've actually met one or two of them when I was at my math/science academy. Even dateline does occasionally spotlight a real math or physics whiz. I seem to remember watching one little boy, a number of years ago, who was in a differential equations class when he was about 8.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
They've already started the animated version. Here's a preview of the buggers' drilling sequence.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Classic.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
Heres a small interview with screen writer Roberto Orci.

I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman are hacks.

I've seen all their films and not a single thing they've written has impressed me or I would consider to be good.

I'm not looking forward to this film regardless of who is behind it. A film version of Ender's Game isn't really necessary. But that's just my opinion. The point is, Orci and Kurtzman are amongst the worst successful screenwriters working in Hollywood and I can't stand their infantile output.

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dlaxd
Member # 12540

- posted      Profile for dlaxd           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
They probably are if we agreed on something.

The advantages are:
-Cheaper to produce; and thus far more attractive to producers who look at Ender's Game and find it risky.
--As a corollary if its cheaper and does "really well" it is far more likely to be green lit for sequels or an expansion of the visual franchise, mini-series, ova's, maybe a tv series.
-Has a gauranteed audience from both EG fans and anime fans of which there is probably strong overlap; and thus will also do well overseas in Japan or Taiwan and Singapore.
-not limited to so-so quality child actors, older actors who are skilled at sounding young or female older actors can do the job and bring about a more 'natural' sounding performance.
-Far more likely OSC could retain significant creative control over the final produce and animation allows for a significant higher chance of it remaining true to the books.
--for example EG and ES uses alot of "inner monologues" as a narrative tool that I've only ever seen properly done in animation and rarely done in live action well (Dune miniseries?).

There is just about every reason for it with the only reasons against being the quickly eroding institution bias against animation in mainstream US mindset regarding "cartoons as childrens things".

Scrubs had an inner monologue with JD
Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dlaxd
Member # 12540

- posted      Profile for dlaxd           Edit/Delete Post 
Also does anyone else think that Jeff Bridges would be a good Graff and the director made Tsotsi(the foregn film winner in '05 i think) which was good
Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Jeff Goldblum would be a better Graff!
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Malcom McDowell as Graff.

Patrick Stewart as Mazer. A bearded, old looking Patrick Stewart.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.