FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 8.9 Earthquake hits Japan. Tsunami to Follow. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 8.9 Earthquake hits Japan. Tsunami to Follow.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
King of Men "I'm not sure whether you're joking or genuinely misread 'Poisson'."

PSI Teleport "I genuinely misread it; guess that's what I get for reading Hatrack on a phone. Off to research Poisson."

Don't bother. It's French fish.
Sure fish tend to cluster. But why blame French fish for earthquakes?
It coulda just as easily been a buncha Norwegian fish going to school to learn French.

[ March 17, 2011, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Poisson Prophecy http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2011/03/10/
posted at GoComics on the day before the SendaiEarthquake

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
Japan was quick to pump $800 billion dollars to stabilize the health of their stock markets.

They ain't so quick getting their starving people food.

Ain't it a funny world we live in?

Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a world where credit and commercial paper transactions can occur on command, but you still have to physically move food across destroyed roads or by air to get it to people who need it.

Seriously, they aren't being neglectful. They're doing everything they can.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They ain't so quick getting their starving people food.

Ain't it a funny world we live in?

It's a world where incoherent armchair quarterbacks with, almost as a rule, no better plans to put forward and no better methods of those plans even if they had them, will continually sneer at people who are largely agreed to be models for disaster relief (both in terms of contributing to the aid of said worldwide, and in handling their own domestically).

And still expect to be taken seriously when they rant. Ain't it a funny world?

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
I've put forth a method many times.

Stop printing and then pumping trillions of Dollars into the Markets to keep them "Healthy".

If a market or a currency is going to Fail. Let them FAIL.

Is that really that hard a concept? LET THEM FAIL

I don't think the Japanese people are being neglected, but I don't think they're being treated 'fairly' overall.

Having a spokesman for the Nuclear Reactor announce that the radiation won't hurt people, only to then break down in tears a few days later and admit he lied was a pretty huge mistake.

Governments have a bad habit of being honest with their people.

Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I was referring to the 'getting food to starving people' plan. Method for that. Japan is pretty well respected when it comes to disaster relief, but THOR says they 'ain't so good' at getting food to starving people. From his font of experience in that field, of course.

Anyway, I don't see much point talking about this with you, THOR. There's not much productive dialogue to be found. (Edited some remarks I shouldn't have made-sorry about that.)

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Danlo the Wild:
... Stop printing and then pumping trillions of Dollars into the Markets to keep them "Healthy".

If a market or a currency is going to Fail. Let them FAIL.

For the record, the Japanese "printed" money in order to *weaken* their currency because it was getting too strong. Not because it was about to fail.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

If the Japanese Yen got too strong, their exports would plummet, causing more economic trouble.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Cameraman on Japanese coast guard ship records the tsunami passing under the ship

Wow.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Rain and forecasts for snow in areas of Japan hardest hit by the record earthquake and tsunami 11 days ago hampered relief efforts for evacuees scattered among more than 2,000 shelters in the northeast of the country.

Weather...also grounded helicopters needed to deliver supplies to remote areas, according to a United Nations report on the relief effort. In Miyagi, the prefecture worst hit by the temblor and tsunami, a break in the clouds this morning is expected to turn to rain this afternoon, according to the Japan Meteorological Agency.

aspectre
Member # 2222

Vulture capitalists believed that Japan and companies insuring Japanese lives&property would have to sell off overseas assets in order to raise money to buy yen at a price inflated by currency speculators to pay for relief&rebuilding and to pay off claims.
Japan and then (especially) the rest of the G7 said "Nuh-uh, ain't gonna happen." to that blatant attempt to manipulate the exchange rates in order to extort blood money by threatening to flood the open market with their yen reserves.

In terms of poker, the speculators raised...and the G7 raised back with "Let's see if you can afford to buy the House."

[ March 22, 2011, 04:12 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Hang on. If the insurance companies had been paying off claims in more-valuable yen, wouldn't that have been a good thing for the payees, who could have used the foreign currency to import stuff? So I'm not so sure just who is manipulating the currency in a bad way, here.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
There are two brilliant pieces from Charlie Brooker (of generic news report fame http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtGSXMuWMR4 ) on the media reaction to the Japanese tsunami coverage.

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2011/03/25/more-on-media-coverage-of-the-japan-disaster

The FoxNews find is brilliant.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.