FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ender's Game Movie Release Date (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ender's Game Movie Release Date
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
They are not mutually exclusive. A lot of writers begin with fanfiction, and a lot of artists started with fan art
A lot of authors and a lot of artists get caught in the validation provided by fandom and never move out on their own, as it were.
Correlation is not causation, I could just as easily say "a lot of people who want to write never end up writing" and is of about equal validity. Either it happens or it doesn't, there's no russian roullete where by writing fanfiction you can get "trapped" into it, there's no psychological compulsion or addiction that forces you to keep doing it once your comfortable with your level of writing.

Some people are terrible writers who write terrible fanfiction, and since 90% of fanfiction is crude I would say there is a strong link between people who only write fanfiction and their skill being terrible then there is a correlation between writing fanfiction and only possibly writing fanfiction.

There might be a few *good* fanfiction writers, but our sample is limited, maybe what? 5? That anyone might know of? How old are they? Do any of them intend to write? How long we giving them?

The converse is as such equally true, nothing stops a fanfiction writer from eventually writing original fiction.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:

Thus, my point that Sam, lacking in any objectivity in "Blayne matters" shouldn't speak about it, if he's so concerned with the health of the forum then he can not provoke it.

What is your standard for "objectivity" in blayne matters? Also, why not? Being concerned with the health of the forum means he can't do anything that provokes you?
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mucus, seriously, stop dogpiling, they are perfectly capable of throwing up vomit on the thread themselves they don't need the help
What kind of a double standard in demeanor do you have to have where me asking how the "objectivity" of my response is a relevant counterpoint is "throwing up vomit on the thread" and you yet again swearing and going nuts in a thread at the drop of a hat is apparently justifiable in response?

Are you really, really going to be this transparently hypocritical, Blayne?

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Could all parties involved dial back the hostility please? This conversation cannot end well because Blayne doesn't really want to absorb this criticism, and many of the critics offering it do not have a relationship of trust with Blayne.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

What does being in a "relationship of trust" with blayne have to do with being able to point out irrelevant accusations blayne makes? Since he doesn't want to absorb criticism, the solution is to ..... what? Never counter his claims?
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

You keep using the word "irrelevent", if Sam is a person who has not constructively engaged with me in the past, how is it not of relevence for me to point out that there is zero standing in which to criticize one of my possibly goals? The lack of a working relationship is of the utmost importance in pointing out that his post was offensive and of negative contribution. Becuase it was a post of mockery and denigration of an aspiration. Of course by definition there is a lack of objectivity and it is of the utmost importance in this instance.

Also strawmaning, i didn't say he shouldnt do anything; what he shouldnt be doing is deliberately posting in ways designed to be provoking. Assuming that is what you meant, your post could be read as "he should be allowed to provoke you." Which is morally bankrupt.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Parkour:
What does being in a "relationship of trust" with blayne have to do with being able to point out irrelevant accusations blayne makes? Since he doesn't want to absorb criticism, the solution is to ..... what? Never counter his claims?

That is the apparent intent. Blayne gets to theorize about his future as a manga artist, after he does The Jet program, after he finishes college after the nth try, after he moves into an apartment again, after he finishes his 10 hours of gaming, after he adapts his old paper to his new assignment, after he learns Japanese, and DON'T YOU DARE DISPARAGE. You have no reason, other than 7 years of experience, to doubt any of that.

Yes, you have to accept it, or there will be NO TRUST! But if you have an opinion about anything, don't share it. You're wrong.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Blayne, you wouldn't be satisfied unless someone disparaged your ridiculous plans, and fed into your complex of persecution being the only reason you haven't accomplished your goals. that way it's not your fault you only like to talk about doing things you will never actually do.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Can we get back to the original topic of this thread: Why the movie is no good?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Parkour:

I didn't speak to whether or not I will permit posters to point out flaws in other poster's comments. I said that it was getting too hostile, and also mentioned that these criticisms will probably not have their intended effect, (assuming your intention is to actually correct behavior) as the person on the receiving end does not trust or put much stock in your motives.

Don't mistake my saying, "This isn't going to work" with "I'm ordering you to stop."

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You keep using the word "irrelevent", if Sam is a person who has not constructively engaged with me in the past, how is it not of relevence for me to point out that there is zero standing in which to criticize one of my possibly goals? The lack of a working relationship is of the utmost importance in pointing out that his post was offensive and of negative contribution.
Good lord, so little of that made sense.

The problem with telling people that they 'shouldn't be deliberately posting in ways designed to be provoking' is that you take a wide swath of valid criticisms and judge them to be 'morally bankrupt' — it's never about you taking responsibility for your own unacceptable outbursts, it's always about provocation. What others shouldn't be allowed to do. And when one takes a look at the huge laundry list of mundane things that you respond to with various degrees of juvenile hostility, your demands about what other people have to do for the sake of not setting you off start to look ridiculous.

quote:
Also strawmaning, i didn't say he shouldnt do anything
Mm. You've repeatedly said that I should have no grounds to criticize, that I should either be nice or shut up.

quote:
Becuase it was a post of mockery and denigration of an aspiration. Of course by definition there is a lack of objectivity and it is of the utmost importance in this instance.
it's become clear that you constantly talk up unrealistic goals that will never happen, to the point where it becomes a bit surreal. Whether or not deadpan humor is taken in these observations (to note: I'm glad to know that you're apparently not too far off from being MP material, be sure to keep us updated on that) doesn't mean that someone criticizing these obviously unrealistic self-appraisals gets to be shunted into your 'by definition lack of objectivity' netherworld (which still doesn't really mean anything) that allows it to be automatically invalidated as .. well, whatever you're invalidating it as that day.

Man, not that I even bothered. It's best to stick with just what I did comment about before being called a threadvomiter who doesn't need help vomiting on threads or whatever, and that's responding to the notion that the way to fix Last Airbender's problems was to make it longer (it is a stupid notion, the end).

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

The 3rd scumbag of hatrack strikes again.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
Can we get back to the original topic of this thread: Why the movie is no good?

Assuming, of course, that 2013 is the Really Real For Real Date for Release this time around, it is a movie wherein gavin hood and summit entertainment are going to try to be able to shoulder the unusually high challenges of a serious movie about ten year old super-mega-genius children having dialogue mostly between themselves or other children in a book for those and multiple other reasons is not particularly easily suited towards a good movie imagining. Therefore, on the part of many, well-founded pessimism.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Are you willing to dip your hat in mustard based on that surmise?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

(Post Removed by Janitor Blade. You're crossing lines you should not cross Blayne. Please stop.)

[ October 28, 2011, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... what he shouldnt be doing is deliberately posting in ways designed to be provoking.

If someone is the forum equivalent of a big red button, the last thing they should probably do is not put the words "do not press" on themselves. (The second last thing is probably to not make pressing the red button really fun*)

* Which of course implies that there's a win-win scenario, someone pressing the button either gets a pay-off, or you choose not to rampage (thus denying the pay-off)

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, please realize that while some of the other's comments were borderline (some more then others) offensive, it is you who has been injecting most of the hostility, demands, rudeness, profanity and over the top-ness into this thread.

Just take a break from this thread and let this whole thing blow over, okay?

It is good that you have aspirations, and we will root for you, just keep in mind that sometimes you come off a bit grandiose (I know, as I do too at times.) and that sometimes people just get a bit put off by it. You basically said that everyone else would fail at making EG into a good visual format, but that you would succeed.

Regardless, further pressing the issue here will do nothing but dig the hole deeper. Please bow out gracefully and return when you can overlook this unfortunate side road.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
The 3rd scumbag of hatrack strikes again.

I wasn't aware that we were assigning numbers, whats the deadline to buy our team jerseys? Sounds like a good hockey team "The Hatrack Scumbags"
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:

You basically said that everyone else would fail at making EG into a good visual format, but that you would succeed.

I never actually said this. And loads significantly more meaning into what I actually said than obviously intended.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Are you willing to dip your hat in mustard based on that surmise?

Unsure, as of yet. I doubt it will be good, but this is different from being sure it will be bad — as was the case once I heard who was directing TLA.

That, and I can be absolutely positive that even if the movie comes out and is decidedly mediocre or poor, the conversation here will be split between people talking about how it could have been better versus people talking about how it was

TOTALLY

AWESOME

OMG

FANGASM

and I don't think that rollicking environment needs a hatbet in the middle of it, so

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

You basically said that everyone else would fail at making EG into a good visual format, but that you would succeed.

I never actually said this. And loads significantly more meaning into what I actually said than obviously intended.
Yes...you didn't say this...exactly. Sorry. But it was in the same vein...Hollywood struggles...I'll handle it, kinda deal. But that wasn't my main point now was it?
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Good call, Samp. I pretty much agree with you that it is unlikely to be good, but may not necessarily be bad. Hatbets are best left for the Last Airbenders and Ultraviolets of the world.

PS: Blayne, I knew who Moviebob is, and have rarely, if ever, been impressed with his assessments of movies. That he was your primary source of info on Last Airbender, I already knew. I was questioning your ability to make such assertions about a film you haven't seen and which every critic who isn't a massive neckbeard has brutally panned... and I stand by my previous state of bafflement.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
Google up moviebob and last airbender and escapist magazine.

Strange, I just did that and I've been informed that not does anime suck, but Europa Universalis and Eve have been quantitatively proven to be inferior to Total War.
Ruined by lack of the word "only."
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Good call, Samp. I pretty much agree with you that it is unlikely to be good, but may not necessarily be bad. Hatbets are best left for the Last Airbenders and Ultraviolets of the world.

PS: Blayne, I knew who Moviebob is, and have rarely, if ever, been impressed with his assessments of movies. That he was your primary source of info on Last Airbender, I already knew. I was questioning your ability to make such assertions about a film you haven't seen and which every critic who isn't a massive neckbeard has brutally upanned... and I stand by my previous state of bafflement.

Dude, what the hell with the slurs?
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

What slurs?

All I can think of is that I called Moviebob a neckbeard. That's a singular slur, and an arguable one at that. Heck, one of my best friends is a neckbeard. If the shoe fits...

Unless you're objecting to my sullying the good names of such films as Ultraviolet and Last Air... yeah I can't even finish that sentence with a straight face.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Good lord guys, y'all are letting the big screen travesty that was The Last Airbender start this post war?!? Don't we have some topics that are actually worth arguing about?!?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Good lord guys, y'all are letting the big screen travesty that was The Last Airbender start this post war?!? Don't we have some topics that are actually worth arguing about?!?

Lol, this guy has a point.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

That he does!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
What slurs?

All I can think of is that I called Moviebob a neckbeard. That's a singular slur, and an arguable one at that. Heck, one of my best friends is a neckbeard. If the shoe fits...

Unless you're objecting to my sullying the good names of such films as Ultraviolet and Last Air... yeah I can't even finish that sentence with a straight face.

My incorrect use of 's' aside, neckbeard I consider to be one of those words that is fine if its used in an ironic or self depreciating context if okay, but definatly a slur when used in any other way. If you are not yourself a 'neckbeard' (regardless of whether you possess a beard) or a member of the SA forums which amounts to basically the samething, I can't help but think of the people using it in anything other than a discriminatory fashion; like an Lite N-word.

When you referred to movieBob as a neckbeard I couldn't help but believe that you think of 'neckbeards' in anything other than a denigratory fashion.

"I can't be racist because I had a black friend" excuse doesn't work here either.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

In order for it to carry the weight of insult, there is a certain threshold of understanding and acceptance the word has to cross. You could poll this community, but I'm fairly sure you'd find nobody else with strong feelings about the word, or a clear idea of what group of people identifies with or feels insulted by it.

Also "denigratory" is not the appropriate word. Nor, in fact, a word I have ever seen used in print, though it does exist. "Disparaging," is more appropriate. Neckbeards are not a race- and they are not exclusive to the SA forums, according to the understanding of many people.

And despite however much you may wish it to be so, a subculture of gaming does not garner nor does it deserve sensitivity akin to that of racial awareness. It is acceptable to make disparaging comments about neckbeards, in the way that it is acceptable to make disparaging comments about hipsters. It's a subculture one may or may not find tasteful.

And a subculture is not a culture. There are different rules.

Leave it to a neckbeard to get sensitive about being called a neckbeard.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Discrimination is discrimination, it is a wrong. It is a sign of narrowmindedness and is a form of bigotry. Discrimination doesn't just apply to race, and no, there is no real distinction between being bigoted towards a culture or being bigoted towards a subculture, you're still a bigot at the end of the day.

By your own admission it is disparaging, and last I checked making generalized disparaging comments towards a whole group of people was not only a ToS violation and was intrinsically morally wrong by definition.

Parkour
Member # 12078

*sigh*

Yes, tell us more about tos violations and how dan is "intrinsically morally wrong by definition".

Wow, though, movie bob really IS a bad reviewer.

(And quite the neckbeard.)

Orincoro
Member # 8854

LoL.

Yes, disparaging comments about whole groups of people are now TOS violations.

Blayne, you're no longer allowed to ever say anything bad about conservatives, Republicans, Tea Partiers, people who dislike anime, or any other group, of any kind. Because that's *discrimination* according to you. And that's wrong.

I am a member of the group of people who think Anime sucks. Don't you dare disparage me. That is MORALLY WRONG. That is discrimination.

odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I hear there's a tentative release date for Ender's Game?

That's pretty sweet.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Nice. I snorted.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Oh my god you guys I am dying of laughter. You've slain me. I am slain.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Stop discriminating against me because I'm funny!
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
You're not.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. So, pretty stoked about the movie having a release date. But hesitant about Summit Entertainment. Yadda yadda yadda?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Oh yeah totally an equivalence between people wanting to gut social security and otherwise damage your country and nerds.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Ummmm. . . There can be a huge variety of degrees of discrimination.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Blayne your justification relies on the premise that neckbeards don't want to damage my country. So, if I think they do, then it's okay to be "bigoted" against them the way you're "bigoted" against conservatives like me, right? Following your logic, I mean.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
You're not.

DISCRIMINATION!
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Blayne your justification relies on the premise that neckbeards don't want to damage my country. So, if I think they do, then it's okay to be "bigoted" against them the way you're "bigoted" against conservatives like me, right? Following your logic, I mean.

Not liking conservatives is not bigoted because conservatives are *bad*.

Airtight.

Nice one Orin.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Following your logic, I mean.

whoa whoa whoa whoa back up
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I think it would be kind of funny if Haley Joel Osment did something in this movie, if only as a shoutout. Maybe one of the younger officers (Anderson, maybe)? I think he's actually a decent actor, and it might give him a chance to break completely into adult roles.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh yeah totally an equivalence between people wanting to gut social security and otherwise damage your country and nerds.

non sequitur, anyone?
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Following your logic, I mean.

whoa whoa whoa whoa back up
Yeah, you got me. There was one fatal flaw in my argument.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
You know, I think it would be kind of funny if Haley Joel Osment did something in this movie, if only as a shoutout. Maybe one of the younger officers (Anderson, maybe)? I think he's actually a decent actor, and it might give him a chance to break completely into adult roles.

I like that notion.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
At this rate, HJO might be old enough to be Mazer. [Razz]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.