Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ender's Game Movie Release Date (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ender's Game Movie Release Date
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting more and more real all the time.
Posts: 6020 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crazy, I wonder when the talk of boycotting will inevitably arise.
Posts: 14243 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

when you posted!
Posts: 14152 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nooooooo!
Posts: 14243 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimegistus
Member # 12663

- posted      Profile for Trimegistus           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Judging from the comments under the article linked above, I would say it won't be long. Some tripe about OSC being a hateful bigot and his politics bleeding into his writings.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:Casts a wary eye upon the news:

We'll see.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Already sorta happened to that game?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wary of the fact it's being produced by Summit Entertainment.
Posts: 6020 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trimegistus:
quote:
Judging from the comments under the article linked above, I would say it won't be long. Some tripe about OSC being a hateful bigot and his politics bleeding into his writings.
For the record (and I recognize that you were NOT calling him hateful in your post), OSC is one of the very LEAST hateful people I have ever met in my entire life. He's in a photo finish with my own father for being the most sincere, welcoming and kind person one could ever hope to be around.

When i hear/read people admonishing him for being "hateful," I find it to be equal parts laughable and infuriating.

Posts: 2525 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like you hate it.
Posts: 7468 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

People on the internet tend to flip out over a lot of things. While his views are kinda meh, he handles himself so overwhelmingly better than just about every other internet icon I can think of in a similar position that it earns him quite a deal of respect.

Heck, I only noticed stuff in Ender in Exile because I was "aware" and was kinda "looking for it" (although an ear open for it is more accurate).

But compared to say, Stuart Slade, my god (I wouldn't be surprised if his forum was blacked listed by the RCMP for propagating hate speech).

I am cautiously optimistic, I have still yet to see The Last Airbender and I fear that yet another favorite work of mine will not be adapted properly and flail and flump lifelessly before being finished off in the head.

The big thing I think that will cheapen the work, is if they're not keeping it open for sequals in both the remainder of the Ender Quartet and the Shadow Series, without adapting with them in mind as either movies or a mini series (HBO? Whoever is doing Terra Nova maybe otherwise?) I'm gonna be disappointed.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blayne, don't see Last Airbender. Just... don't. Samp didn't have to eat his hat for a reason. It wasn't even close. He didn't even have to nibble on the bill. Seriously, that movie has no redeeming qualities.

Watch a few clips on youtube if you're really not sure you believe us.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Indeed, the adaptation of The Last Airbender was a sloppy mess.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by odouls268:
quote:
Originally posted by Trimegistus:
quote:
For the record (and I recognize that you were NOT calling him hateful in your post), OSC is one of the very LEAST hateful people I have ever met in my entire life. He's in a photo finish with my own father for being the most sincere, welcoming and kind person one could ever hope to be around.

When i hear/read people admonishing him for being "hateful," I find it to be equal parts laughable and infuriating.

I've never met OSC but everything I know about him and have heard about him from people who have met him supports what you've said. The people who condemn him as a homophobic bigot usually couldn't tell you a single thing about the man other than the coles notes version of his political and religious views. Disagreeing with those views in fine as far as I'm concerned, but I also think it's a shame when people attack the man.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread can either be about the movie, or about whether or not Card is the very nicest director of the National Organization for Marriage. Hooray. I would prefer it be about the movie.
Posts: 14152 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_   Email Stone_Wolf_         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OSC has been my hero since the age of 14, and EG started me reading and changed my life in major ways. I still love his books, but I admit freely that his views on homosexuality and SSM have tarnished my view of him personally quite a bit. I can't honestly call him a personal hero anymore, despite the huge respect I have for his writing.

From all I've heard, he is just a teddy bear of a man, kind and very unassuming as well as generous with this time for fans. I don't see him as a hateful man. Just a man with hateful ideals when it comes to gays. I would bet a large sum that he would go out of his way to make an actual gay person feel welcomed and not judged were he face to face with them, but his stances (as far as I understand them) are prejudicial and bigoted.

Being a married man with children, this intolerance does not affect me, and since I am very much indebted to him and his writings it buys a lot of wiggle room from me, but I can still understand where the other side is coming from.

Posts: 5081 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, Stone Wolf? Intolerance does not affect you unless it is directed toward you specifically. I don't think you mean that. At least I hope you don't.

Sorry, Samprimary. You can go back to the movie now.

Posts: 10613 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_   Email Stone_Wolf_         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm saying it doesn't directly effect me boots. Clearly it has changed the way I think about OSC...come on now!
Posts: 5081 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't care how you feel about OSC. I just wanted to give you a chance to clarify your last sentence which was a little startling.
Posts: 10613 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Why would it be startling that someone who is discriminated against directly is more effected then someone who only recognizes it as unfair but is outside of the group who is receiving the injustice?

I got to marry who I saw fit...it happened to be a member of the opposite gender as myself, so it didn't effect me, as it effects those who are restricted from marrying the person(s) they love.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

That clarification did not go as I had hoped.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So much "effect"

kmbboots : Are you going for some sort of "X privilege even hurts people who are a member of group X" sort of argument? It might be worth elaborating on it since I don't think it's an obvious (although true) point.

Posts: 7468 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
This thread can either be about the movie, or about whether or not Card is the very nicest director of the National Organization for Marriage. Hooray. I would prefer it be about the movie.

I'm certainly with you on that, but who can stand against the drift?
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on record, I believe, as hoping it will not be made. A, I don't believe OSC understands film well enough to have a positive effect on a motion picture of this story, and B, I don't think there is a group of actors, or a director, who know this story well enough, or care enough, to make it a good film.

But I think there are some likely candidates for doing this film right: Joss Whedon or, or Stephan Gaghan (writing and directing).

I'm aghast at the idea of Hood having written this screenplay. Can you remember a single line of dialogue from Wolverine? Do you care?

Posts: 9562 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actively try to forget.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... "Bub?"
Posts: 2297 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
I'm on record, I believe, as hoping it will not be made. A, I don't believe OSC understands film well enough to have a positive effect on a motion picture of this story, and B, I don't think there is a group of actors, or a director, who know this story well enough, or care enough, to make it a good film.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall watching the people involved 'handling' the limitations of the possible casting.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and and you know that the attitude is going to be that the story, and main characters, are a liability, not an asset. There's fairly good reason for this never having been made into a film. It just won't make a good one- or rather, the budget and work involved in making a good one is more than anyone is willing to risk or invest. So they'll do it this way, with Gavin Hood- which is what I always expected to happen.
Posts: 9562 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Also I continually hope that certain casting decisions are made to at least give this film a chance.

Firstly, Graff, Rackham, and Dap/Dimack (assuming those roles are merged, which is the natural choice), should not be played by character actors (which I suspect at least one of them will be anyway), but by actors who are more subtle in their roles.

For Graff I've often said George Clooney would be my pick. Another good choice would be Jeff Bridges. Clooney would also make a good Anderson, although you could go another way with that role. I actually think Jeremy Piven would be a good fit for Anderson as well. Or, since it's just a cameo role, you could go with somebody kind of odd, like John Malkovich, maybe Brendan Gleeson. William Frakes would also fit that role rather well- although I've often thought he would be a good Graff too, if he were a bit more subtle as an actor.

Dap/Dimack would be a slightly younger character- I imagine somebody small and unassuming. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Neil Patrick Harris, Kevin Connolly, someone like that.

Rackham is a tricky casting decision. I've heard a lot of people say Ben Kingsley- but I think he's too supple and mellow for the role. I'd go with Edward James Olmos, or someone of that type- although Olmos is definitely a character actor, so I'm breaking my rule there. I've sometimes thought Avery Brooks would be good for that role too- he has some of the explosive energy needed to make the scenes with Ender really pop.

Either Brooks or Olmos have the gravitas to deliver such lines as: "From here on Ender, your Enemy is *smarter* than you are... from here on, you are always *almost* about to lose."

Samprimary
Member # 8561

Boy, that is some idealistic casting, right there!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see Edward James Olmos as Rackham. Visually, I've always kind of seen Christopher Plummer in that role.
Posts: 21436 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Sir Ben and Chris Plummer are both good...how about Liam Neeson? He is getting old enough, and has the chops.

George Clooney for Graff? Really? Not that it would ever happen, but I just never saw him in that role, more like Philip Seymour Hoffman or Oliver Platt.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Boy, that is some idealistic casting, right there!

No, yeah.

But that's why I wish Terence Malick would direct this film. The only director I can think of who can make essentially any casting decision he wants, and even gets offers from many highly payed actors to do his films for nothing.

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Blayne, don't see Last Airbender. Just... don't. Samp didn't have to eat his hat for a reason. It wasn't even close. He didn't even have to nibble on the bill. Seriously, that movie has no redeeming qualities.

As a person entirely inexperienced with the actual storyline or anime versions of the movie, and who rented it solely because her 6-year-old picked it for "family movie time", I have to say I didn't think it was all that awful. It was relatively entertaining even if it didn't feel like a "whole" movie since the ending didn't resolve anything. I was actually able to sit through the whole thing.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I boycotted it wouldn't be about politics, but because I wish this movie would never, ever be made. I think it'll butcher the story, and I love it too much to want any memory of it mangled.

Of course, reality is that if they make the movie, I'm probably not going to be able to keep myself from seeing it, and will likely do something stupid like staying up for a midnight showing on opening night. *sigh*

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'm going to have a hard time with encouraging people who haven't read the book to go see the movie; I'll try to insist, "You HAVE to read the book first!" Because I won't want anyone's first impression of the story to be what they get from the movie.
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having the film be someone's first exposure to EG isn't necessarily a bad thing. The SyFy network mini-series was my first exposure to Dune. It's not a perfect adaptation, and hardcore fans of the book of course have a million complaints, but it sparked my interest enough read the entire series. Now it's one of my all-time favourites.

I can guarantee that all of us who love the book are going to have gripes about this movie. There will be changes to the source material that we don't all like, even if we do like the movie overall. But as long as it's not total crap, it will likely generate more new fans than people it scares off.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'm just thinking in these terms: I would rather my friends (potential people I might discuss it with) be comparing the movie to the book, instead of having conversations with people who are comparing the book to the movie.
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Graff needs to be able to get fat, and he needs to be older-- Alfred Molina would be my first pick. Oo, or that guy who played Julia Child's husband in 'Julia and Juliette.'

Neil Patrick Harris would be perfect for Dap. Man, yes.

I kind of want Guillermo Del Toro to direct EG.

Posts: 14504 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I feel like Robert Downey, Jr., would make a good Mazer Rackham if he could dial down the quirky comedy thing he's been popular for lately.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I think he's too young. Mazer has to be older than Graff, and I imagine Graff being cast at around 55-60. RDJ can play between 40-50. He might be good as the head of command school- I forget the name of that character.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

As advanced as make-up effects are these days, I don't think Robert Downey, Jr.'s, age would be much of an issue. I feel like the Mazer character could be played a little younger in appearance as he'd still be in good physical shape. And he does the salt-and-pepper hair very convincingly. I'm just not sure he could pull of the subtlety and intensity of the role.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
quote:

As a person entirely inexperienced with the actual storyline or anime versions of the movie, and who rented it solely because her 6-year-old picked it for "family movie time", I have to say I didn't think it was all that awful. It was relatively entertaining even if it didn't feel like a "whole" movie since the ending didn't resolve anything. I was actually able to sit through the whole thing.
MovieBob's review of it I feel is the most objective and nuanced and seems comparable to my brothers view of it; the movie is GREAT to look at, as a technical director M Night did great, but the narrative is terrible, it should have been a 2 and a half hour movie and they could have done a much better job in fitting the first season into it; there's no excuse for it to be only 1.3 hours long.

From there it gets worse, the acting was bad or stilted for the most part except for maybe Aang's character (according to my brother) and Soka's character didn't have any of the comedic aspect to it that made his character fun and interesting to contrast with his Arrogant Kungfu Guy tendancies; then there's the casting, I can see where they were going with the creative license in changing what each nation's reflected real worl ethnicity; firenations Tang China/Imperialist Japan to Indian, Earth to Chinese... from... Chinese... Water Tribe to White people from Canadian inuit and I'm not sure what they made the Air Nomads from the Tibetan influence but it is a reasonable divergence.

The problem is that this is hollywood, who aren't known for their progressive casting of minorities, especially when it comes to Asians. They should have stuck to the source material.

Which is what worries me about Ender's Game, it was mostly composed of (Eur)Asian students demographically, a majority Chinese with dissaproportionate Thai presence, will Hollywood stay true to something that was only indirectly alluded to when they couldn't even stay true to it to something that was the heart and soul of the original source material? (Avatar)

All in all MovieBob says Avatar for fans of the show was at LEAST worth seeing even if he couldn't give it a pass as a movie. I'ld settle for something "Better than Last Airbender".

Ultimately I might have to just get good at drawing manga and adapt it myself.

fake edit: I would squee very hard for James Edward Olmos as Mazer. I think patrick stewart could do Graff.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

'there's no excuse for it to be only 1.3 hours long' had me twitching.

quote:
w...
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a perfectly good TV series of Last Airbender to watch.

Heh-- I am to Airbender what kmboots is to Shakespeare. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14504 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
'there's no excuse for it to be only 1.3 hours long' had me twitching.

quote:
w...
I do not think you can kind anything objectively wrong or objectionable that isn't rooted in bias. If as a fan work I wanted to adapt it, and had at that point attained the skills to do so hypothetically why the "w...".

There's plenty of people, like for example Moffat, that dreamed of being able to work with the stuff they loved. The modern comics industry for example is run by fans.

Regarding airbender, the narrative is crushed by the 90% of the movie dedicated to exposition just to EXPLAIN the setting and never get to grow or develop, a 2.5 hour movie would allow for that time.

Calculating it, we figured you could eliminate the filler and recalibrate the plot episodes to incorporate any development from the filler and maybe wind up with 3 hours easily cut down to 2.5 for the first season. With three movies you could have the three seasons adequately adapted at 2.5 hours each.

And then a fourth movie to account for the loose ends in a "fourth" season.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

The w... Could be because you do not have the right to adapt it, at least for publication. Even as a "fan work". As a personal project to be enjoyed by you alone, perhaps.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
As advanced as make-up effects are these days, I don't think Robert Downey, Jr.'s, age would be much of an issue. I feel like the Mazer character could be played a little younger in appearance as he'd still be in good physical shape. And he does the salt-and-pepper hair very convincingly. I'm just not sure he could pull of the subtlety and intensity of the role.

Playing an age is more than makeup. Benjamin button is a good example of this- although a complex case.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I feel like that could be debated. There are plenty of actors who have succeeded in roles which require them to play an older character. An example which comes to my mind is Daniel Day-Lewis's performance throughout There Will Be Blood.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
quote:

MovieBob's review of it I feel is the most objective and nuanced and seems comparable to my brothers view of it; the movie is GREAT to look at, as a technical director M Night did great, but the narrative is terrible, it should have been a 2 and a half hour movie and they could have done a much better job in fitting the first season into it; there's no excuse for it to be only 1.3 hours long.

From there it gets worse, the acting was bad or stilted for the most part except for maybe Aang's character (according to my brother) and Soka's character didn't have any of the comedic aspect to it that made his character fun and interesting to contrast with his Arrogant Kungfu Guy tendancies; then there's the casting, I can see where they were going with the creative license in changing what each nation's reflected real worl ethnicity; firenations Tang China/Imperialist Japan to Indian, Earth to Chinese... from... Chinese... Water Tribe to White people from Canadian inuit and I'm not sure what they made the Air Nomads from the Tibetan influence but it is a reasonable divergence.

The problem is that this is hollywood, who aren't known for their progressive casting of minorities, especially when it comes to Asians. They should have stuck to the source material.

Which is what worries me about Ender's Game, it was mostly composed of (Eur)Asian students demographically, a majority Chinese with dissaproportionate Thai presence, will Hollywood stay true to something that was only indirectly alluded to when they couldn't even stay true to it to something that was the heart and soul of the original source material? (Avatar)

All in all MovieBob says Avatar for fans of the show was at LEAST worth seeing even if he couldn't give it a pass as a movie. I'ld settle for something "Better than Last Airbender".

fake edit: I would squee very hard for James Edward Olmos as Mazer. I think patrick stewart could do Graff.

It's very disconcerting to see you making so many assertions about a film you haven't actually seen.

Seriously, man, it's... terrible.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.