FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Time to Come Clean (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Time to Come Clean
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I was public-schooled, and entered high school at the age of 11. I didn't lie about it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheHollow:
Why does Ace of Spaces want an apology?

I want an apology because it would be vindication and an acknowledgment of the fact that I have been treated unfairly.

[ January 11, 2012, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Ace of Spades ]

Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Also presumably because publicly wanting one provides opportunities for the community to come together and derail your demand into an amusing thread.

(Note: I really don't know what BB did to you, so for all I know you really are completely justified in wanting one, but frankly at this point I'm not sure I care much. Making a thread to declare that you're owed an apology seems much more like a cry for attention and less like an attempt to rationally state your case. It's passive aggressive and whiny, which ultimately wins you very little sympathy.)

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie:
I stole my Uncle Max's toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play.

That's hilarious.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
I stole my Uncle Max's toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play.

That's hilarious.
In fifth grade, I knocked my sister Edie down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog.

[Wink]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Spades:
quote:
Originally posted by TheHollow:
Why does Ace of Spaces want an apology?

I want an apology because it would be vindication and an acknowledgment of the face that I have been treated unfairly.
You did get me to look at your posting history (since I surmised from your member number and your registration date that you are not just new to all this) and the majority of your posts (in the range until I lost interest) are about this perceived injustice.

I really think you need to get a haircut, man.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
And maybe a job as well, a real one.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vegimo
Member # 12618

- posted      Profile for vegimo           Edit/Delete Post 
His face was treated unfairly? No wonder he wants an apology.
Posts: 95 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a quick summery from memory:

Ace: I demand an apology!

BB: You know my email, let's talk.

Ace: (makes a new thread) I'm owed an apology!

BB: You should email me.

Ace: (makes new new thread) Where is my apology?!?

BB: My email hasn't changed.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:

That's hilarious.
In fifth grade, I knocked my sister Edie down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog.

[Wink]

Well, it's not quite up there with the worst thing I've ever done.

I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, I made a noise like I was puking, and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

That's horrible.

I'm laughing, but it's horrible.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

When I was about 7, I stole a dollar bill from an unattended donation jar at a Buddhist center my mom worked at. I bought ice cream. It was the bitterest ice cream I've ever eaten. The next time I was at that center, I put all of the allowance I'd earned in the interim into the jar. I remember feeling like it was a lot of money but it was probably in the $5-$10 range.

I would love say that was the only time I ever stole, but it's not.

Just a few years ago I was at a little kiosk getting a copy of a key made. The employee was very rude, the price seemed unusually high, and I was in a hurry. I set a small pack of elastic cords on the counter with the actual copies, nonverbally indicating I wanted to buy them. I realized as I was paying that she hadn't rung me up for them, and I didn't say anything when she bagged them up with the keys.

I felt sort of bad walking back to my car, until every elastic in the pouch broke as I tried to use them (while still sitting in the car). I decided it was pretty much a wash after that.

The key I got there wasn't great, either.

Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, I made a noise like I was puking, and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life.
Chunk!
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

Yes!
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I totally didn't remember that the fake beard and the knocking the sister down the stairs were a part of that movie.

[Smile]

stevenrushing
Member # 6171

- posted      Profile for stevenrushing   Email stevenrushing         Edit/Delete Post 
seeing as this is a troll thread I thought I would just post in it to find my member number. Hope no one minds!
Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stevenrushing
Member # 6171

- posted      Profile for stevenrushing   Email stevenrushing         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm, only took me 7 years to get my first post... I am pretty sure that I posted years ago though, are they erased after a specific number of years or something?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

quote:
Originally posted by stevenrushing:
seeing as this is a troll thread I thought I would just post in it to find my member number. Hope no one minds!

Look again! I started this thread.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
He called you a troll dude, you gunna let that fly? ROFL!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerpark27
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for deerpark27           Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes you make up lots of stories just so the real story doesn't seems so weird, so that nobody really notices it when it comes out, it's just another one. In other words, most of it's just camouflage, or mainly bullshit--depending on your privileged or poetic diction, that is. What does comes as a surprise, after the years of accretion, is how that one real story, buried deep and so obscured that it's even hard to remember how it went, or what actually happened, well I wanted to say how the very shape of that story has turned out to inform the shape of all the others laid upon it. In fact, it might turn out to be just the shape of one sentence, or a word: Run.
Posts: 1154 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
Originally posted by deerpark27:
Run.

!!!
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Look again! I started this thread.
Exactly.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by deerpark27:
Sometimes you make up lots of stories just so the real story doesn't seems so weird, so that nobody really notices it when it comes out, it's just another one. In other words, most of it's just camouflage, or mainly bullshit--depending on your privileged or poetic diction, that is. What does comes as a surprise, after the years of accretion, is how that one real story, buried deep and so obscured that it's even hard to remember how it went, or what actually happened, well I wanted to say how the very shape of that story has turned out to inform the shape of all the others laid upon it. In fact, it might turn out to be just the shape of one sentence, or a word: Run.

Sometimes you make up a lot of obscure words and post them on forums just so everyone thinks you're an eloquent cyberpoet.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
seriously, 'accretion?' 'diction?' 'inform?' all clearly made up words
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly, the one made-up word in that exchange, as far as I can tell, is "cyberpoet."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she probably meant 'made up a lot of obscure words' in the sense of 'made them up as a post'. Not in the sense that deerpark is actually attempting to create new words. If she meant that, I doubt she'd have described them as 'obscure', as that word directly states they have a meaning already.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

The only word in that post that was even slightly obscure is "accretion", and even if you don't know it, the meaning is easy to deduce in the context given. Deerpark uses it effectively, by which I mean succinctly and eloquently.

Also, we're on the Internet. While I'm not necessarily promoting the use of obscure words just to be abstruse, looking up a word only takes a few seconds.

Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
He called you a troll dude, you gunna let that fly? ROFL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdcTdrDVqe4#t=1m54s
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am pretty sure that I posted years ago though, are they erased after a specific number of years or something?

Not since the date you joined. Anyway deleted posts still count in your tally of posts. If you posted years ago, it wasn't with this screenname.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

Are you the same stevenrushing who wrote:

quote:
Ivan peaked into the red room...

[ January 16, 2012, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Ace of Spades ]

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll come clean... when I'm on Hatrack, I keep trying to use a "like" button that doesn't exist!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have genuinely thrown up in a movie theatre during my battle with anxiety. I was trying to hide it, though. To this day, I silently thank the person I was with for not making a big deal out of it.

An unpleasant time in my life.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stevenrushing
Member # 6171

yeah, my face is all red now, quite embarrased at ancient words. that was juvenile me trying to write way back in the day. And here is hoping 10 years from now juvenile me looks back at right now juvenile me and remembers that guy who had given up.

quote:
Are you the same stevenrushing who wrote:

quote:
Ivan peaked into the red room, observing his baby sister doing cartwheels in front of the vidcorder; or rather trying to do cartwheels, as she fell on her head as often as she clumsily completed the cartwheel. The elder brother could not help but wonder when his little sister would grow up and act her age. He had certainly never vidcorded himself doing cartwheels. No, at the ripe age of seven, Ivan knew everything.
Celeste quickly put herself between him and the corder as Ivan erupted into her room, already surveying the work to be done. “Stop being silly Celeste, or Captain Greybeard will choke you dead in your dreams.” I wish the old geazer would. The old sailor peered down fiercely from the painting on the wall at all that met his gaze. His eyes seemed to assure a swift death to those before him, after he finished the tobacco in his pipe of course.
The spectator to this spectacle watched apathetically in silence. He of course remembered these events, and what he thought when he first witnessed them, but it was odd to “hear” the thoughts left unspoken.

Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

quote:
hmmm, only took me 7 years to get my first post... I am pretty sure that I posted years ago though, are they erased after a specific number of years or something?

You're probably thinking of your posts here.
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
Here's a quick summery from memory:

Ace: I demand an apology!

BB: You know my email, let's talk.

Ace: (makes a new thread) I'm owed an apology!

BB: You should email me.

Ace: (makes new new thread) Where is my apology?!?

BB: My email hasn't changed.

I don't know his email. If I did I wouldn't use it because I have nothing to say that I wouldn't want everyone to read.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
It's in his profile. Just click on his name. And who says you have anything to say that we want to read?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
...who says you have anything to say that we want to read?

I think you just did.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know his email. If I did I wouldn't use it because I have nothing to say that I wouldn't want everyone to read.

Well then, don't hold back, champ!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
It's in his profile. Just click on his name. And who says you have anything to say that we want to read?

I said I wouldn't use his email address even if I knew it, so you respond by explaining how to get his email address. Brilliant.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Hey man don't worry, you can just let it all out!

We can all read what you have to say here!

C'mon tiger!

Kwea
Member # 2199

No. Brilliant is acting (Post edited by Janitor Blade), year after year, alias after alias, and then expecting people to still care what you have to say. Particularly when talking about a respected moderator.

[ February 04, 2012, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea: Please stop attacking Ace of Spades. He's clearly trying to get people to break the TOS so I am forced to moderate in his favor.

AOS: I'm really getting tired of this game. If you have no intention of actually talking about your supposed grievances with me via email, then your bringing them up again and again constitutes not posting in good faith. Stop posting about it here.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I guess I can jump right to the punchline here too.

Saying "I have nothing to say that I wouldn't want everyone to read" and then declining to do anything of substance publicly is a great way to say the same thing: it's not posting in good faith, it's pointlessly agitating.

Hooray?

CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Pointlessly Agitating would be a good band name.

I remember how appalled I was when I found out someone was already using the moniker Fatboy Slim. That felt gravely unjust.

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by CT:
Pointlessly Agitating would be a good band name.

Alan Moore's Eminent Discontent
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
Kwea: Please stop attacking Ace of Spades. He's clearly trying to get people to break the TOS so I am forced to moderate in his favor.

AOS: I'm really getting tired of this game. If you have no intention of actually talking about your supposed grievances with me via email, then your bringing them up again and again constitutes not posting in good faith. Stop posting about it here.

I haven't posted about it since January 10, almost a month ago. You're the only one bringing it up now.

Could this be a Telltale Heart situation?

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
No it couldn't. And it doesn't matter if you bring it up triannually. If you aren't serious about discussing it in private, where it should be discussed, if at all, then I'm not permitting you to troll people by posting about it here.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I hear-by vote for a Hatrack ignore button. I think everyone in the thread knows why.

Until then I'll just post IGNORED. [Big Grin]

Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I hear-by vote for a Hatrack ignore button. I think everyone in the thread knows why.

Until then I'll just post IGNORED. [Big Grin]

<like>
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.