FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Breaking Bad Season 5 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Breaking Bad Season 5
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Starts tomorrow night. The beginning of the end. All hail the King.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I are excited to see it! Bummed, though, that they are apparently dividing the last season into two parts, so we won't see the last half until next year.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it'll be a bit longer than the other seasons though. You know what I think would be intersting? Lets have a time jump midseason, and in the second half, Walt's daughter is older. Like at least talking age.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2012/06/04/279164-breaking-bad-season-5.jpg

http://2tfu.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/lets-cook-breakfast-breaking-bad1.jpg

Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished season 4 for the first time 2 weeks ago. I can't wait.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Excited, but it's been so long since I finished Season 4 that some of the plot threads are a little hazy.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yea!

What are you hazy on Lyr?

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a good recap:

http://www.slate.com/articles/video/slate_v/2012/07/breaking_bad_s_first_four_seasons_delivered_in_10_minutes_video_.html

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Good start. Really threw a wrench into it with the mystery beginning. So far things are going about how I wanted.

The scene with Ted was interesting because she seemed to be apologizing even as he was begging for his life. Quite the twisted scene.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Did they get Ted to pay back the IRS before the accident, or is that still unresolved?
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this show. It's so good.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:
Did they get Ted to pay back the IRS before the accident, or is that still unresolved?

Unresolved. He got hurt while they were trying to figure it out. Unless we are to assume Huel dropped it on the mail.
Logan Cale
Member # 12841

- posted      Profile for Logan Cale   Email Logan Cale         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that the show could have ended at the end of last season. It felt (to me) so final during the last episode... except for Mike of course.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

I won't feel like it's final until Hank finds out about who Heisenberg really is. That is the largest plot thread, which has been there since the beginning, that has yet to be resolved.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Walt ends up dead or in jail, I don't think we're done before that.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

quote:
Originally posted by Logan Cale:
I thought that the show could have ended at the end of last season. It felt (to me) so final during the last episode... except for Mike of course.

Walt and Skylar are broke. Ted was still a giant loose end, even moreso if he wasn't alive. Mike. It would have been a good finale, and wouldn't have complained if they ended it that way, but there's enough intrigue to keep the show going.

Actually, you can make the case the end of Season 1 would have been a good ending, with Walt and Jesse just kind of looking at eachother in perplexed look of both accomplishment and disgust at Tuco. But they got the money. The end. Would have been great.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Okay, so here is the end I'd like to see:

Hank Sherlocks his way to Walt's door, and Walt starts monologing about all the stuff he has done, because now that Hank finally knows, he can't help himself, he has to brag. Only thing is, Jessie, Skyler and Walt Jr. are in the house, and can hear Walt spill all the dirty secrets, all the murders and evil crap and all the pride he has in it. We cut to the family, their faces drawn and disbelieving, and then we hear a shot, everyone flinches, and freezes! And Walt walks around the corner with a gun in his hand, and is surprised to see everyone there. They look at him and know once and for all who he really is. Cut to black. End of the show.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

That doesn't seem too unlikely. [Smile]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Skyler was so stupid for giving that dumb man money. I would never have given him a cent. Plus her husband went through a lot of trouble to get it. Selling or making meth is a stupid idea. Don't do it.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

I will take that under advisement.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Thank goodness, she got to you -just- in time, hulk!
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Skinny Pete playing the piano was amusing.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

My wife had a dream two nights ago where Hank found out who Walter was, and they got into a fight that injured Hank, and he ended up in the hospital.

Then, Walter later showed up in the hospital while Hank was being wheeled down the hallway on a stretcher, and Walter was looking menacingly at Hank and the hospital staff, with a gun in his hand, ready to use.

Then the dream ended. Sounds like a pretty legitimate cliffhanger for this season, lol.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

How will Breaking Bad end?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

On another note, I'm continually saddened by the fact that the show refuses to let Jesse have any sort of sustained happiness.

Walt pulled two super douche moves this week. I'd say it's a new record, but it probably isn't. Anyone who still thinks he's the hero of this show is seriously deluded.

Marlozhan
Member # 2422

I'm convinced that Breaking Bad is the story of a regular guy who incrementally descends into badness and becomes totally depraved. I expect no happy ending...only tragic.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That's, um....
Yeah, that's the point of the show. Seriously. The creators have said that's the point of the show.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

I think the main point was his prediction about the end, which is still relatively in question, but yeah, the show will likely end with Walt dead or in complete unconsolable misery, the ending episode being titled "All Good Things"

I keep rewatching the scene where he spends that dollar.

Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marlozhan:
I'm convinced that Breaking Bad is the story of a regular guy who incrementally descends into badness and becomes totally depraved. I expect no happy ending...only tragic.

Fascinating insight. You might say the main character, a regular guy, is... breaking bad.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Be fair, guys. Not all of us go and read whatever the show's creators have said. And "Breaking Bad" doesn't tell us how bad.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:
I think the main point was his prediction about the end, which is still relatively in question, but yeah, the show will likely end with Walt dead or in complete unconsolable misery, the ending episode being titled "All Good Things"

Walt is going to be caught in a temporal paradox where he has to deal with himself from the first season, the present, and the future?

I hope John de Lancie is free that week.

Marlozhan
Member # 2422

I realize that the name of the show states that he is breaking the limits of bad behavior. I am not that dense.

But we don't know how bad things will get and we don't know if there will be redemption in the end. There has always been the possibility of some kind of redemption. My point is that I am having serious doubts that any such thing will, or even could, happen.

Early on, there were expectations that, as he descended into bad behavior, maybe he would start to ascend again. Maybe he would learn lessons and finally get real. But no...it is becoming a crap storm and I think it is going to just keep heading that way, with Walter taking a lot of people with him.

Marlozhan
Member # 2422

And no, I haven't read anything the creators have said, either.
Tammy
Member # 4119

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Be fair, guys. Not all of us go and read whatever the show's creators have said. And "Breaking Bad" doesn't tell us how bad.

You're so, well, nice. [Smile] And that's nice.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
My predictions for the ending (mind you, I haven't started watching season 5 yet):

Walt will get so deep into trouble that it will threaten the lives of his family. His wife, son, and daughter will find themselves in some sort of situation that seems inescapable. Walt will do everything he can, but he'll end up having to sacrifice himself so that they can all survive (maybe he even finds out he's got cancer again, so he figures he's going to die anyway...might as well have a purpose). His wife and kids run off, but magically discover that Walt has left them all a bunch of money with which to survive.

Jessie would probably survive, too. I'd imagine that he's probably going get saved by Walt, who has essentially taken over the role of protector/surrogate father.

I'm sure they'd throw in Hank, too, to make things even more complicated.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

He's already dead, in so many ways.

At this point, he's just going to do what he can for his family,financially, that is. He's so far gone that he's definitely not trying to salvage any emotions, at least where Skyler is concerned.

I don't see him rebounding and living happily ever after.

Jessie, now he still has a chance.

Obviously.

So, in the end, Jessie will probably be killed off in the most agonizing way and Walt will continue to be of the living dead.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Walt needs to die.

I think Jesse has a chance.

I think I want Hank to be the one to kill him.

That whole speech about how someone has to take the fall for letting someone like Gus live under their nose for so long, Hank is already screwed if Walt's identity becomes public. I think Hank needs to find out privately and end it privately. Besides...Walt has it coming, and Hank suffered personally for his crimes.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Jesse is going to kill Walt after Walt kills Hank and Skyler.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I think Jesse is going to kill Walt after Walt kills Hank and Skyler.

Now THAT would be disturbing.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Even worse: projecting, I believe Walt will kill Skyler because she intends to turn Walt over to Hank after Walt does something that indirectly results in the deaths of one or more of their children. I say "indirectly" because I think Walt will be mostly innocent of the wrong that finally pushes Skyler over the edge into hating him more than she fears him, just for the sheer irony of it.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Oh god I hope not...*wince*
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Walt Jr. overdoses on the blue meth that Walt has been making. That is what pushes Skyler over the edge.

I have seen seasons 1 and 2 and only a few months have gone by. Do the other three seasons move the time line along further? If not, Walt's cancer coming back is unlikely. He was in remission and the tumor shrunk by 80%.

That is one of the problems with stories that take many years to tell but only cover many months, or a year of the characters lives. We think of Walt having battled cancer for 5 years now and in his time it has been months, not years.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually hoping that Skyler's own "Breaking Bad" (setting up and running the drug front, threatening Ted) would continue and that she'd become something of a partner for Walt. Maybe even end up in charge of the operation in some ways.

I think scared and bitchy Skyler is painfully boring, personally. AMC is getting a reputation for having shrill and annoying wives in their flagship shows (Betty Draper, Lori Grimes, Skyler White). I am starting to think the reputation is an earned one.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Scared, yeah, she's scared. Bitchy? I don't think we've seen any real "bitchy" yet.

I would like to see "scared and bitchy Skyler" busting out and schooling Walt! Show him where "breaking bad" can really go when a woman's children are threatened.

Marie will lose her whacked out innocence and be the Louise to Skyler's Thelma. Blood, you know, thick bonds.

Pleaseohplease, just leave Jessie and his "instant family" alone, sitting on the couch, eating tacos and pizza, playing video games. Just leave them alone.

Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
I don't think we've seen any real "bitchy" yet.
Maybe not this season, but certainly in past ones. Her going back to being scared of Walt just seems like a regression of all of her "growth" to me.

I may be alone in this. But the subplot of Skyler joining in on the criminal activity was one of my favorites, and seems to have been abandoned.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

To be fair to Skyler, even his partners should be terrified of Walt right now.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think the only one who isn't at least a little afraid of Walt is Mike. Well, I'll take that back, I bet Mike is afraid of what might happen as a result of being associated with him, but I don't think he's afraid of Walt directly killing him.

Skyler needs to change. This catatonic fright thing makes sense maybe, after Walt's "I am the danger!" speech and what happened to Ted, but for the sake of good storytelling she needs to shake it off. It's boring.

I really don't see Walt Jr overdosing on blue meth. I mean it'd work, though I think it'd be incredibly obvious. He seems like basically a pretty good kid, and I think he's even still smarting from that episode where Walt got him drunk.

Xavier
Member # 405

quote:

Skyler needs to change. This catatonic fright thing makes sense maybe, after Walt's "I am the danger!" speech and what happened to Ted, but for the sake of good storytelling she needs to shake it off. It's boring.

Exactly.

Double Edit: Nevermind, it was both.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Fun fact. Walt's blue meth makes a cameo in The Walking Dead.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

When? I can't believe I missed it!
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.