FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Breaking Bad Season 5 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Breaking Bad Season 5
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
I hated that scene where Mike looked at his granddaughter just as the cops were pulling up and he had tears in his eyes. I know he's a hit man, but I still feel sorry for him and it broke my heart.

Walt is pissing me off and I want Jesse to find out everything and bring Walt down in flames.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a nit pick...the gun is an M60, .308 (7.62×51mm NATO) -not- a 50 cal.

[ August 29, 2012, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: Stone_Wolf_ ]

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
See you guys next July.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
What a great twist...

Walt gets out, does the right thing by Jessie, makes peace with Skyler and...Hank figures it out on the can.

Awesome show!

Edited to correct incorrect auto-correct correction.

[ September 03, 2012, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Stone_Wolf_ ]

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hank's discovery is a little dubious. They even played the scene a few years ago where they both laughed off him being a drug lord. What that's happened lately has changed his point of view that would make him think it's Walt?

I guess maybe it all just clicked in his head. A hundred tiny things he laughed off over the years all reached critical mass. That's possible.

We're in for an interesting season next year.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Correction:

Duh! Nevermind, I forgot that the GB in the inscription was Gale.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, same words, same handwriting. Different book.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it made sense to me that such a semi-intuitive leap would be possible. He has seen Walt do some pretty strange things over the years, things that were dismissed almost or even entirely because he was family.

I'm thinking of 'by chance' blundering into that stakeout of...was it Badger? Of abruptly swerving into a car just as Hank was being driven to one of Freen's locations, which if I'm not mistaken later turned out to be the big one. Or Walt's connection, explained away at the time, to the found chemistry lab supplies. Especially the surprisingly large sums of money Walt obviously has at his disposal, whereas before they were on the brink of ruinous poverty. Also, does Hank know of Walt's connection to Jesse from Skyler, for 'buying pot'?

Then there's the other stuff, less likely to raise a cop's suspicions of crime, but still the sort of thing that would send his mind looking askance at Walt: the constant, barely and very poorly explained very bad tension between Walt and Skyler, the strange arrangement with their kids. I mean, I think this has been coming-Walt has been stringing along plans that work thanks to luck and audacity, but that's not a recipe for long-term success.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dansigal
Member # 12661

- posted      Profile for dansigal   Email dansigal         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think even without the G.B., I think that inscription brings it all together. Cause here's the thing, if Walt was just some guy Hank casually knew and not some his geeky chemist brother in law, Hank would have suspected him as the W.W. referred to in Gale's book immediately. He fits perfectly, same initials, genius chemist, recently came into a ton of money, and sporadic suspicious behavior. But Hank has always had a mental block there because of their relationship and history.

Seeing Walt referred to as W.W. there (and especially with the G.B.) finally busted through the mental block and allowed Hank to piece together the obvious.

What I don't completely buy is that super careful and paranoid Walt would leave any ties to Gale just lying around his house, which he knows Hank is always at.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Skyler is more of a schemer than we realize.

Maybe SHE put the book in the bathroom, knowing the link between the book and Walt's activities, for Hank to find.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

You have to remember how many times Walt has been lucky over the past year. There were numerous times when he made mistakes that only worked out through the ineptitude of the other side, or sheer luck.

Plus, that's his titanic ego.

It's believable.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Well Walt isn't infallible, is he? I mean it's quite possible he forgot, since in his mind the book was a loose end tied up neatly. He has forgotten important things before, such as not removing an ID from the lab equipment, the mask, that was later found and also storing his burner in the classroom in a place where it could be heard-and really, that was a DUMB place.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Why did Hank use Walt & Skyler's bathroom? Why didn't he go in the guest bathroom?

Did I miss something?

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dansigal
Member # 12661

- posted      Profile for dansigal   Email dansigal         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, anything is possible. My point is, he's made plenty of mistakes in the heat of the moment, but they've made a point of showing the book early in the season in bedroom, and now it's in a bathroom that we know he uses. This is something that's been around for months and months now, not something was simply overlooked. It just doesn't ring true at all to Walt's character that he would leave something just lying around for so long with both his and gale's initials on it, when he knows that Gale has referred to him using those initials in something that Hank has seen.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I think if you polled both cops and criminals, you would find that world absolutely stuffed to the brim with stories about how the one small, seemingly inconsequential at the time overlooked detail brought down a given criminal-that is, the longer running criminals. Eventually they forget things, or get careless or prideful or simply unlucky. Your vision of Walt as this totally rigidly disciplined criminal mastermind doesn't quite mesh with the reality. He keeps a plant used in an attempted murder of a child in his backyard. He kept his burner phone in the ceiling panels of his classroom, without turning it off, where he might be seen getting it. He didn't burn off serial numbers and names for his chem lab equipment. He kept Jesse on as a partner for months and months back in the day when Jesse was seriously committed to being an idiot. So on and so forth.

Now, Walt gets this much: he tries, he really does, to be as thorough and disciplined as you describe. But he's not (well, wasn't always) a career criminal, and doesn't always have the best of advice to follow. Hell, if he didn't as a chemist have an understanding of the ideal way to dispose of corpses and other unwanted stuff, who knows how much he would've forgotten?

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:

Then there's the other stuff, less likely to raise a cop's suspicions of crime, but still the sort of thing that would send his mind looking askance at Walt: the constant, barely and very poorly explained very bad tension between Walt and Skyler, the strange arrangement with their kids. I mean, I think this has been coming-Walt has been stringing along plans that work thanks to luck and audacity, but that's not a recipe for long-term success.

Did Hank drive to Tuco's house looking for Walt? I don't remember.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hank never even knew Walt was there. They slunk off into the desert after Hank shot Tuco.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Tammy, wanted to say that's a really sneaky idea of yours. I like it, but I'm not sure Skyler even has the necessary information to put such a plan together. But then who knows? We learned a whole season break later just who was responsible for poisoning the child!

As for Tuco, if memory serves Hank was following what he thought was an unlikely lead (alone, he was semi-rogue pursuing that investigation) on Tuco himself, not making any sort of connection to Walt or even Jesse.

msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Just having watched the first few sesason on DVD from the library, Hank was trying to track down Jesse. I think Jesse's car had a lowjack on it, so he was able to track it by GPS. He was looking for Jessie to talk to him about Walt, since Skyler had told Hank that Walt was buying dope from Jessie for his cancer.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Rakeesh, I'd just like to see some action on Skyler's part at this point. I can't imagine that she just accepts that Walt's done. That's it? Okay, Walt, you're done with your Meth cooking, everything is happy at home now. Who acts like that after all that's happened? I know she only gave him a brief smile, but that was a big thing coming from her. I hope that it was a calm, devious, "your going down" kind of smile, as innocent as it looked.

I have to admit that Walt Jr. strolling the baby around the pool was making me nervous. I was thinking something was going to happen there, at some point. I kept waiting for a gun to go off or the baby to somehow end up in the pool.

Please let something fun/bad happen to Saul Goodman at the end. Oh, please!

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

There are rumors that Saul is going to get his own spinoff show.
Tammy
Member # 4119

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
There are rumors that Saul is going to get his own spinoff show.

It will be amusing, to say the least.

I miss Gale. I've got a crush on David Costabile.

[Smile] <--- He sings!

[ September 05, 2012, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Tammy ]

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Hank never even knew Walt was there. They slunk off into the desert after Hank shot Tuco.

I know, but I think he was trying to find Jesse's car, because he thought Jesse would know where Walt was. It would be another way Hank would connect the dots.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.