FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Star Trek Into Darkness (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Star Trek Into Darkness
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
I liked the new Trek movie. I'm on record, despite some glaring plot holes and the fact that the Romulan's actions only truly make sense if you read the 4-comic mini-series that came out just before the movie. And the glares on the bridge were not only annoying, they were potentially hazardous on a military vessel. But mostly they hit the right sense of action, humor, science fiction, drama and wonder that made me fall in love with the show in the first place. After several sub-par movies and a very disappointing "Enterprise," "Star Trek" was sorely needed.

Could you explain the comic you're mentioning? I've never heard of it. What's the plot?
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
I liked the new Trek movie. I'm on record, despite some glaring plot holes and the fact that the Romulan's actions only truly make sense if you read the 4-comic mini-series that came out just before the movie. And the glares on the bridge were not only annoying, they were potentially hazardous on a military vessel. But mostly they hit the right sense of action, humor, science fiction, drama and wonder that made me fall in love with the show in the first place. After several sub-par movies and a very disappointing "Enterprise," "Star Trek" was sorely needed.

Could you explain the comic you're mentioning? I've never heard of it. What's the plot?
Star Trek Countdown. It is pretty fun. Tells the story of how Nero and Spock came to the new timeline. Acts as a TNG story as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Countdown-TPB-IDW/dp/1600104207/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355151957&sr=8-1&keywords=star+trek+countdown

There is also Spock Reflections, sort of a prequel to Countdown, about old Spock moving Kirk's body to his boyhood farm and reflecting on his early years.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Cumberbatch is playing John Harrison?!
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently there was a 'Harrison' in the episode where Khan first appears.

Still can't believe it's Khan, though. Cumberbatch is such an incredibly white guy. I mean, seriously. He and Montalban have no resemblance whatsoever.
Unless he's genetically modified himself to look different - that could be amusing.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
I was really hoping for Gary Mitchell
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Could Peter Weller be Khan? Maybe the movie is about Harrison freeing Khan from the sleeper ship? For a semi- big name, Weller is surprisingly absent from the trailer.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

http://blastr.com/2012/12/the-identity-of-alice-eve.php

Carol Marcus it is.

Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
So we really are just going with "remaking old episodes/movies"? Okay then.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw a bootleg of the first nine minutes shown before the hobbit. Still doesn't reveal who he is but it does kinda sound like Khan. I was really hoping for something new there but oh well, we shall see.

I would link to it but it has already been yanked.

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
*Possible SPOILERS for nine minute prologue*

I really liked this. There was a good feeling of knowing exactly who these characters are (specifically the people they have become in this universe, not necessarily exactly who they were before, and yet they are still recognizable - at least to me). And I liked the fact that rural England still looks pretty much the same, all green and birdsong-y and not totally concrete - London being a little bit taller than it currently is.

Mickey Smith! Someone is a Doctor Who fan with that casting.

Loved the red planet and the painted looking aliens. They really had a sixties vibe about them. The sense of goofy adventure that the original series had was there too - sometimes it was all philosophy and the meaning of life, sometimes they just got into scrapes.

The underwater reveal moment made me think - 'hey, that's somewhere they really haven't gone before'. There was a sense of something familiar and something new mixed together so I'm feeling a lot more positive now than I was when I saw that first trailer.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Just finished reading the official comic prequel.

These are definitely spoilers for the comics, talk of movie is pure conjecture.

After reading that, and the ongoing series, I can definitely assume that some type of Section 31 is going to play a part. A rogue group in Starfleet intelligence kept being brought up. There was even a brief scene where they try to recruit Sulu, but never go back to it. Pike seems to know about them.

Mudd's daughter is half Bajoran, it will be neat if she is in the movie. Kirk keeps her ship, saying it may come in handy. I am assuming it will.

Cumberpatch is definitely not Robert April, but Carol Marcus' dad (Peter Weller) served under April.

Orci and Kurtzman definitely love the franchise, their stories in the two Countdown series show that. I think in the first movie they had to give up some of that for the powers that be.

Lindeloff said in an interview that Abrams was really looking at how the Enterprise works, to make it more like hard science fiction. I hope he is not just full of hot air.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm giving up on Star Trek until Abrams gives up the reins.

In the mean time, I'm making my own Star Trek series, and it's going to be awesome. I figure by the time Abrams is done with it and they want to put something back on the air, I'll be ready when CBS calls me.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
didn't like the first movie. this one looks cool though.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
As a non-Trekkie whose sole experience with the franchise was the 2009 movie, I could take it or leave it for the sequel.

But they're debuting the Ender's Game trailer in front of Star Trek into Darkness, so I'll take it.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.