FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » old man blogs at cloud (Page 8)

This topic comprises 37 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  35  36  37   
Author Topic: old man blogs at cloud
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
His latest column:

quote:
Obama’s tendency to frolic on the golf course or play cards while barbarians murder innocent people whom he could have protected is as sickening as “let them eat cake” or fiddling while Rome burned.
Yeah...
I believe that the recent tally of obama's vacation days had him at 92 total, where george w bush was at 323 total at the same point in his presidency

(yeah, a whole year, about)

hmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
hhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://i.imgur.com/Pk4pEoX.jpg
Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://i.imgur.com/Pa6ZF5K.jpg
Samprimary
Member # 8561

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-fHMf_f0o0xM/VBsgHZccWDI/AAAAAAAAAHg/bl0QTd5kK8U/w557-h313/c8iey.gif
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting....
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-presidential-vacations/2014/08/15/2aa969c6-2311-11e4-958c-268a320a60ce_story.html

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I *was* surprised to hear Mr. Card state that President Bush didn't play golf while men were dying during the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. That seems logistically impossible.

But maybe I'm misremembering the specific claim.

[ September 22, 2014, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
Interesting....
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-presidential-vacations/2014/08/15/2aa969c6-2311-11e4-958c-268a320a60ce_story.html

Yea, but Lou Casacuberta makes a good point in the comments section:

quote:
obama needs to do something period .take a vacation form ding what!?i expect better writing from washingtn post not defending or sounding like obama with excuses with the mr so and so did it too.grow washingtn stop acting like 6 yr olds blaming evryone but your own mothers,obama obama is on obama agenda...healthcare and global warming stuff period..america wants jobs,better ecnomny,a war leader who gets respect and works with others and is liked .a truthful person and open...nt a president who seperates or divides ..like i said we need 1 who brings together not just talk on islam or muslims but we need a united states for all the people president and this obama isnt it ..he creates racial tension and division .politicians afraid of obama removal because of black community ..america is being held hostage ..lawsuits are being perpared ..boehner has his attrney .they will sue obama for overuse power.he deserves no time off period.worst president in history and most hated

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

There's just too much truth in that comment. It's so much truth it stings my eyes and scrambles my Wernicke's area. It .. agh. ut hurts, my brain .hruts, i see it all nwo??!was so obveos, obama obama is on obama angenda...whres the birth seritfcate, benghazey???worst presedent
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jebus202:
quote:
Interesting....

Yea, but Lou Casacuberta makes a good point in the comments section:

quote:
obama needs to do something period .take a vacation form ding what!?i expect better writing from washingtn post not defending or sounding like obama with excuses with the mr so and so did it too.grow washingtn stop acting like 6 yr olds blaming evryone but your own mothers,obama obama is on obama agenda...healthcare and global warming stuff period..america wants jobs,better ecnomny,a war leader who gets respect and works with others and is liked .a truthful person and open...nt a president who seperates or divides ..like i said we need 1 who brings together not just talk on islam or muslims but we need a united states for all the people president and this obama isnt it ..he creates racial tension and division .politicians afraid of obama removal because of black community ..america is being held hostage ..lawsuits are being perpared ..boehner has his attrney .they will sue obama for overuse power.he deserves no time off period.worst president in history and most hated

Well said!!! Writing "period" and then using a period seems a bit redundant, though.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I *was* surprised to hear Mr. Card state that President Bush didn't play golf while men were doing during the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. That seems logistically impossible.

But maybe I'm misremembering the specific claim.

I hadn't heard either way. I know Obama golfs with Boehner, so I assume many of his golf games are also "work".
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Presidents don't even really have vacations, anyway. And they take what mental health time and changes of scenery they can, wherever and whenever they can find it.

I guess, and for serious here i'm not trying to push an envelope here i just want to have it out there for consideration, GWB was really pushing that with his 407 "full or partial days" off at the same point in Obama's tenure, and its entirely probable that a case can be made for him being relatively more checked out than other modern presidents, but you can't know, because they stay coy on how presidents manage their time and their expenditures. It is pure conjecture.

So, of course, if we're playing a game of conjecture, you end up with idiot apologists who will make their own conclusions. Bush had over three times as many vacation days as obama and he is a heroic war president hero who was obviously spending his time trimming hedges or nodding off at his ranch expertly crafting anti-terrorist strategy. Obama, with less than a third of that total, is nero fiddling while rome burned and is certifiably the worst president ever and a total failure.

We have to have this turn around to today's utterly ridiculous nobummer commentary about how the president is toodling out playing golf IN A TIME OF WAR (I guess once the united states declares war, presidents can't play golf or do anything recreational ever, even if said state of war is ongoing for over a decade now cool)

This does remind me of something, though. OH. Right. Even though he would probably loOOoooOoove the comparison, Card's being most like a low-rent written word Michael Moore in the way he was really seriously pushing bush's dundery imagery and saying look at these images guys obvs the president is an off the clock fumbling moron. Moore's visual selling of that included, appropriately, the president playing golf! Look guys the president was playing golf what a chunderhead play the video of my pet goat again guys

Where and when bush was being a chunderhead, it sure as hell wasn't for playing some golf in the midst of one of the most pivotal and high stress jobs in the damn universe.

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I personally thought it was ridiculous because I've lived and worked at MCBH for 4 years... whenever the president takes his Christmas vacation, he goes and eats Christmas dinner with the Marines at the chow hall there. Every single time. He doesn't really do it for press or publicity reasons, it's usually pretty low key. I met him there in 2010 and was completely surprised to see him - and he's come back every year since. In recent years he actually has them kick out civilians and press and only allows the Marines and Sailors in. (We're the only ones who are supposed to be there anyway) He genuinely cares a lot about military members, and goes way out of his way to shake as many hands, and talk to and thank as many service members as possible everywhere he goes. Seriously, he even remembered my buddy Scott (who made a rather inappropriate political joke the first time he met him) 2 years after the first time he met him, which is pretty insane for someone who meets literally tens of thousands of people every year.

Anyway, when he's out here, he pretty much works the entire time. He goes to the beach with his family and plays golf on base once or twice, and he goes to the gym, but the rest of the time he's still working. I can't really say how much work GWB did in comparison when he was on vacation, but to assume Obama is fiddling while America burns is... inaccurate. A lot of his golf games out here are with admirals/generals of PACOM or local government officials, and are more of "on the go meetings" than pure recreation.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
You're in the military. Obama is defaming your honor and almost literally spitting on your career and sacrifice! Tell me, sir, have you grown so stupid on liberalism that you fail to see how terrible Obama is, or do you secretly loathe it?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
You're in the military. Obama is defaming your honor and almost literally spitting on your career and sacrifice! Tell me, sir, have you grown so stupid on liberalism that you fail to see how terrible Obama is, or do you secretly loathe it?

You need to work on your troll impression. [Razz]

For starters, turn the grammar down and hyperbole up.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Dogbreath, as a member of the military, what was your reaction to the tea tainted salute?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:

Oh, don't worry, there are many, many things I dislike about Obama. Just none of them happen to do with how he spends his vacation time or his personal life. He seems like a pretty decent guy personally.

Boots: had to look it up. Um, maybe he was distracted? I once accidentally saluted with a set of keys in my hand, felt like a dumbass.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

What a normal, reasonable, human reaction.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

The only people who would react differently are just trolls. It's not like that was some huge scandal...
kmbboots
Member # 8576

The outrage has made national news.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/09/23/%E2%80%98how-disrespectful-was-that%E2%80%99-karl-rove-blasts-obama%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%98latte-salute%E2%80%99

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Wow. That did not come up in my Google search.

In my defense though, Fox News and most of the GOP are a bunch of trolls, so I wasn't completely wrong.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

that's amazing, obama would have gotten less crap if he had simply not acknowledged the marines' existence at all as he disembarked

also remember west wing? if bartlett had given a latte salute it would have been considered badass

Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://i.imgur.com/ZcgDh4a.jpg
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
Rove blasted the move as “insensitive,” but asked, “Are we surprised?” He dubbed Obama as a "chai-swillin’, golf-playin’, basketball trash-talkin’” commander-in-chief.
What are they going to do next, make fun of his shoes? I mean, they already did the tie lapel thing...

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

Oh come on, that's adorable.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
I mean, they already did the tie lapel thing...
they additionally had their go around with "Obama wears tan suit instead of blue or black: one of, or the worst president ever?"
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
If there was ever any doubt how this Commander in Chief really feels in his heart about our men and women in uniform, this should seal the deal. We have warriors engaged in harm’s way, and he does THIS? The latte salute. And he has the nerve to publish it on his Instagram account. Disgraceful.
this was literally on sen. allen west's site
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

He really should have raised the dog's paw to make it salute too.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

that would have kicked the nuts off of the latte salute, for SURE
Samprimary
Member # 8561

plenty of clouds to yell at today i guess
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Deer whistles? Really?

Those were debunked 20 years ago.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

The reviews for save-a-deer on Amazon remind me of this xkcd:

http://xkcd.com/937/

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
Deer whistles? Really?

Those were debunked 20 years ago.

I didn't even know the things existed until a few days ago.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had never heard of such a thing, but a friend told me about Save-A-Deer Whistles.
Let me fix that:
quote:
I had never heard of such a thing, but a PR person from Save-A-Deer Whistles paid me to push their marketing material.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

MrSquicky: Mr. Card has stated he is not compensated, and refuses payoffs from companies for the reviews he writes.

Do you have evidence that has changed?

[ October 08, 2014, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
It does seem irresponsible to review a product when you have no way of speaking to the primary function of that product. My Tiger Repelling Rock works great. Sits on my desk quite nicely and I've seen zero tigers since I purchased it.

I don't expect him to do his own tests or whatever, but the review reads like he just read the company's own claims and parotted them without checking any deeper. A little skepticism goes a long way for products making unverifiable claims.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
In reference to deer whistles - it's impossible to verify a specific company's claims, because you can't prove or disprove a negative, nor can you do a scientific study on the matter. So, anecdotal evidence is the only thing you can use. Mr. Card's friend had anecdotal evidence of the product working, and he found the friend's testimonial convincing enough to spend six bucks on a product, in the chance that it may work.

If you're interested in more powerful anecdotal evidence, there's this: The company I once worked for, Missoula Children's Theatre, has a fleet of 45 Ford F150s that travel an average of 15,000 miles a year, all over the United States and Canada. The fleet manager insists on $6 deer whistles on all company vehicles. They haven't had a deer-truck collision in 10 years. Conservatively, that's 6 million miles driven with zero collisions. Does this mean they work? No! But it's another piece of anecdotal evidence, which I said at the onset is really the only kind of evidence possible for this product.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled Card-bashing. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
You can actually test the claims made, especially because they claim a mechanism which is possible to test. The wikipedia page goes over the criticisms pretty well.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I have driven a few hundred thousand miles in a highly deer-dense area, with no whistle, and have also hit no deer. Most people I know in similar circumstances have never hit a deer. It's a common enough occurrence to warn about, but not so common that it's likely to happen to any given person.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_horn

You can just google "deer whistle" for more info on why they're completely worthless. It's pretty easy to fact check these sorts of things nowadays...

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

quote:
Originally posted by Brian J. Hill:
In reference to deer whistles - it's impossible to verify a specific company's claims, because you can't prove or disprove a negative, nor can you do a scientific study on the matter. So, anecdotal evidence is the only thing you can use. Mr. Card's friend had anecdotal evidence of the product working, and he found the friend's testimonial convincing enough to spend six bucks on a product, in the chance that it may work.

If you're interested in more powerful anecdotal evidence, there's this: The company I once worked for, Missoula Children's Theatre, has a fleet of 45 Ford F150s that travel an average of 15,000 miles a year, all over the United States and Canada. The fleet manager insists on $6 deer whistles on all company vehicles. They haven't had a deer-truck collision in 10 years. Conservatively, that's 6 million miles driven with zero collisions. Does this mean they work? No! But it's another piece of anecdotal evidence, which I said at the onset is really the only kind of evidence possible for this product.

No, you can't prove a negative, but you can disprove a negative fairly easy. For example, by finding Russell's Teapot. Or if you install a deer whistle and still hit deer. Which some of the amazon reviewers have done.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

quote:
quote:

No, you can't prove a negative, but you can disprove a negative fairly easy. For example, by finding Russell's Teapot. Or if you install a deer whistle and still hit deer. Which some of the amazon reviewers have done.
That doesn't technically disprove it. It doesn't claim to be 100% effective. I think the most scientific way to judge its effectiveness is to have one car with a whistle and one without, and have them drive the same deer-dense roads at the same time of night, altering nights, for a very long period of time. And repeat this experiment in many different areas.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
I have driven a few hundred thousand miles in a highly deer-dense area, with no whistle, and have also hit no deer.

Lisa, I would like to buy your rock.
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In reference to deer whistles - it's impossible to verify a specific company's claims, because you can't prove or disprove a negative, nor can you do a scientific study on the matter.

Why on earth couldn't you conduct a scientific study on the topic? Specific claims are being made about the effect of the whistle on deer behavior. Those claims could *easily* be tested.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Some people did and they determined that the deer whistles were ineffectual, as were similar products marketed elsewhere as kangaroo collision deterrents
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
:: shock ::
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
The deer whistle supposedly causes the deer to freeze in place. What if they are standing on the road when that happens?
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least in theory that could give drivers enough time to react. It's harder to avoid a deer that leaps in front of you at the last second than one that you see standing still a few hundred feet ahead.

But that particular effect doesn't seem to hold up to empirical testing.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

see, Obama is tuberculosis
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Obama is an infectious disease see, the parallel is too clear
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite part of that essay is where he holds up Scott Walker as a guy who does it right.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 37 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  35  36  37   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.