FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Monolithic structures not sufficiently explained (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Monolithic structures not sufficiently explained
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Let's move the pyramid talk over here!

More to come

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
I really don't get how the currently held theorys about monolithic structures are so widely accepted and so utterly stupid.

You preemptively insult everybody who does not share your point of view, then expect people to participate in a civil discussion? Not a wise move, my friend...

That said, it is an interesting topic, so maybe we can just talk about it without trying to actually convince the respective other of anything (which appears a futile endeavor) and without calling each other names?

Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
I think we all know what really happened
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

- posted      Profile for Heisenberg           Edit/Delete Post 
"So...everyone just caught "giant rock fevor" on several continents at the same time...hey, put down that copper tool and help me move this 90 ton stone...sometimes up mountains...hundreds of miles...no wheels...no problem! Occam grew a beard."

See, in another thread you talk about humans wanting to leave their mark in the world. And here you say you can't understand why they might want to build massive structures that in their eyes would last forever.

People do both silly and wondrous things in the name of religion. And no, it wasn't like one guy turning to another and asking them to help build something. More like the Pharaoh's men coming and saying you've been assigned to a work project, so get to it. And it's commonly accepted now that in lieu of paying their taxes with grain or money, men were required to spend a certain amount of time each year on the Pharoah's projects.

Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
There are many great theories of how and why monuments were built. There are many places for this conversation to start.

1) Timing. You say, "on several continents at the same time." It wasn't at the same time. There are centuries separating the building of the pyramids themselves, not to mention the building of Stone-Henge vs the Mayan Pyramids. Neolithic Man raised rough cut pillars centuries before their was an Egyptian Pharaoh. Yet these centuries are all apart of that great "Pre-historic" or "BC" time period that some minds lump together into a decade or so.

2) Any quick perusal of Egyptian Pyramids shows an architectural time line, from small and failed to grand, then back down to small, as the power of the Pharaohs and their civil conflicts flowed through world history. It was not, one day the masons of Egypt had trouble building a straight wall, then the next--divinely or alien inspired, they built Giza. No. Facts show a history of pyramid architecture emerging in a very organic way. The pyramids were not built in a month or a day, but over centuries.

3) "It must have been aliens" is an insult. To think that we humans could never be smart enough to do these things is an insult to human kind and I don't like it.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
There are many great theories of how and why monuments were built. There are many places for this conversation to start.

1) Timing. You say, "on several continents at the same time." It wasn't at the same time. There are centuries separating the building of the pyramids themselves, not to mention the building of Stone-Henge vs the Mayan Pyramids. Neolithic Man raised rough cut pillars centuries before their was an Egyptian Pharaoh. Yet these centuries are all apart of that great "Pre-historic" or "BC" time period that some minds lump together into a decade or so.

Don't forget Brú na Bóinne!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Dude, what tech do you think "the ancients" possessed that they wasted on building heaps of rock?

The oldest, biggest pyramids are electrically active...at giza they are built on limestone aquifer...in Mesoamerica, they are built on underground lakes, both of which when the rainy season start are charged up.

That they are broken now and that knowledge has been lost is obvious to me, however, that there is more going on here than heaps of rock.

Anyone try and tackle The Pyramid Code?

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

So... this site has some interesting questions...and some crazy crap too...but this... http://blog.world-mysteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Baalbek-stoneofpregnantwoman.jpg is a picture of a a hewn stone that weighs over 1,000 tons! Modern-day equipment can not move this guy, but we should buy that folks without the use of iron or the wheel managed this?

I'm NOT saying it is known what was lost, I'm just saying that we don't kno the truth and those who say they do are full of shit.

Heisenberg
Member # 13004

You heard it here first - Stone Wolf has declared the work of anthropologists who literally spend their lives studying and working on this stuff to be full of shit. Cause, you know, he doesn't understand it.

Pack it in, conversations done.

Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The oldest, biggest pyramids are electrically active...at giza they are built on limestone aquifer...in Mesoamerica, they are built on underground lakes, both of which when the rainy season start are charged up...
Um.
This is, right off the bat, a load of bull. Nor, I should note, would it make any sense to build a pyramid to generate a charge if you had any understanding of what a charge WAS or how it could be used.

quote:
Modern-day equipment can not move this guy...
I think you'll find that this is also untrue. There have also been ample, ample demonstrations of methods by which large stones can be moved.

This sort of thing is usually a reliable indicator when trying to identify whether someone is a quack.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by Heisenberg:
You heard it here first - Stone Wolf has declared the work of anthropologists who literally spend their lives studying and working on this stuff to be full of shit. Cause, you know, he doesn't understand it.

Pack it in, conversations done.

[Roll Eyes]
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Stone Wolf, Coursera has some free archaeology courses. If this is the kind of thing you're interested in maybe you should take one and get a sense of what the discipline of archaeology actually entails. That would give you a better perspective for evaluating things you come across online.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Tom...Bagdad battery? Never heard of it?
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I'll give you that there are cranes out there that can handle 1k ton blocks. The current record is over double that.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Stone_wolf, i want you to make two complete lists for us so that we're not just chasing down your "some people say" or "nobody can REALLY prove" shit.

The first list should be "things Stone Wolf believe is true about the ancient structures that modern science/archaeology deny"

The second list should be "things Stone Wolf thinks that are false about the current archaeological record of the ancient structures"

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
like seriously don't just link to sites and say 'there's some stuff in here!'

tell us what things YOU are going to assert.

you basically have to do this because those sites are garbagepiles of psychotic new age conspiracy theory tripe and we're not going to go mining for which parts of the psychotic conspiracy theory tripe you are actually going to stand by.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zlogdanbr
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

3) "It must have been aliens" is an insult. To think that we humans could never be smart enough to do these things is an insult to human kind and I don't like it.

I personally think: yes it is possible that pyramids occurrence in several different cultures is not a simply coincidence or related to the "collective unconscious". I am not insulted, as a human being, by the mere perspective that aliens were somehow responsible by the pyramids.

A friend of mine, who is a historian, a long time ago explained me how it could be technologically possible that mere human beings have built those structures and that the fact we question it is a simple another typical example of prejudice from the so called European white culture and their disdain over other cultures. I actually bought her explanation back then but today honestly, I am not so sure.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

Oh, that school of thought is definitely racist. They did the same thing with Easter Island - the first archeologists to study the ruins and statues there said that instead of Polynesians, the builders must have been inspired by Mayans who learned from forgotten European expeditions, because come on how could brown people come up with those abilities on their own?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Yeah pretty much the vast majority of the time these theories crop up it follows a consistent pattern:

- These ancient primitive exotics have these giant things all over where their exotic primitive culture was

- There's no way these primitive exotics built a giant thing on their own no matter what these people with degrees and comprehensive peer-reviewed research say about the anthropological record

- Fortunately, I, an indigo starchild white person who probably literally thinks I can heal diseases by holding crystals, have figured out what must have actually happened instead and will explain that the giant things were actually alien harmonic ghost thetan engines to indra our chi chakra leylines.

- If only the exotic brown people understood how uplifted their culture once was!

Heisenberg
Member # 13004

Obligatory
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I have indeed heard of the Baghdad Battery. My observation here is that if you are capable of building such batteries and actually know enough about charge to have a reason to do so, building a giant heap of stone for the same purpose would be idiotic.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
What thread is this coming from?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

The XKCD thread.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I will definitely identify my conflicting beliefs in individual deatil...this will take a little time tho, so will be broken up into multiple segments.

Oh and yes...aliens

zlogdanbr
unregistered

Even you say that the pyramids were not build with "alien" help, it does not mean that alien civilizations might exist or that there is a possibility that they visited us.
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Belief, Aliens came to our world and, in various cultures, used secret science to build great monuments.

While some say that they also used that secret science to teach some of these primitives agriculture--to grow food for the hungry aliens--they did not teach germ theory, basic physics, nutrition, sanitation, or basic math concepts such as the concept of 0.

As a result the humans they found on earth continued to die horribly, live miserably, and suffer continually.

Conclusion--Aliens are jerks.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I clicked on the link for that series you mentioned in the other thread.

Reading over the show's description, the description of the interviewed cast, the director's biography, the director's media interviews to promote the show and combining that with my first-hand experience of how cable scientific documentaries are made, interactions with legitimate science journalists, media training I've received that included a section on similar programs, and the typical discussion topics of anti-pseudo science bloggers that I know personally, it is my professional opinion that there is no credibility whatsoever in this series. I work in science for realsies. There are red flags the size of Texas in this. Sure, the writer/director/producer believes in what she is selling, but so do conspiracy theorists.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I don't back ANYONE who claims to kno the truth...I feel strongly that the answers that have been provided are incorrect or incomplete...I do understand that I am in a culture of acceptance of the status quo and am working up hill...but mostly I know I haven't presented much yet...this was just a spark off conversation, not something I had planned on discussing at length here, but my big mouth puts me here...so I'll get my stuff together and get back to you all...sorry for not being better prepared [Smile]
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm NOT saying it is known what was lost, I'm just saying that we don't kno the truth...

I agree with you thus far, and I liked that you said it.

quote:
... and those who say they do are full of shit.

But help me out here: If you think you don't know the truth, how do you think you know that nobody else does either? How can you possibly know that all of them are wrong ("full of shit")? There is a good chance that somebody is correct, neh?

quote:
I know I haven't presented much yet...this was just a spark off conversation, not something I had planned on discussing at length here, but my big mouth puts me here...so I'll get my stuff together and get back to you all...sorry for not being better prepared [Smile]

I'm actually looking forward to it. [Smile] Truly am. And I appreciate your effort.

As you said, we don't know for sure. Some theories are more likely, others less, but as far as I know, neither has been proven.
Which is what makes this topic such an interesting one.

Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Okay...here's one...

quote:
...Egyptologists believe that the pyramid was built as a tomb over a 10 to 20-year period concluding around 2560 BC.
Source

quote:
Most books and encyclopedia state that there are between 2- 2.8 million blocks of stone in the Great Pyramid. These average about 2.5 tons with none smaller then 2 tons. The largest stones range from 9 to 15 tons. We will use a average estimate to work with in number of stones 2.4 million.

Seconds in a year = 31,556,926 x 20 (for twenty years) = 631,138,520

So we have a total of 631,138,520 seconds to work with.

No we divide that by the number of stones

631,138,520 divided by 2,400,000 = 263

263 divided by 60 (sixty seconds in a minute) = 4.38

So every 4.38 minutes a stone had to be quarried, transported and put into place. This had to occur 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year for the entire 20 year span.

This equation, however, does not include the time and labor required to design, plan, survey, and level the 13 acre site the Great Pyramid sits on. Nor does it include the construction time of the ramps needed to put the blocks in place.

Source
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Next topic...Great pyramid at Gizza not a tomb...no decorations, no mummies, no nothing...the valley of kings IS a tomb...evidence to follow
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by PanaceaSanans:
There is a good chance that somebody is correct, neh?

I have my theories, but let's not put the cart before the horse, eh? [Wink]
zlogdanbr
unregistered

quote:
Okay...here's one...

quote:
...Egyptologists believe that the pyramid was built as a tomb over a 10 to 20-year period concluding around 2560 BC.
Source

quote:
Most books and encyclopedia state that there are between 2- 2.8 million blocks of stone in the Great Pyramid. These average about 2.5 tons with none smaller then 2 tons. The largest stones range from 9 to 15 tons. We will use a average estimate to work with in number of stones 2.4 million.

So every 4.38 minutes a stone had to be quarried, transported and put into place. This had to occur 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year for the entire 20 year span.

This equation, however, does not include the time and labor required to design, plan, survey, and level the 13 acre site the Great Pyramid sits on. Nor does it include the construction time of the ramps needed to put the blocks in place.

Source

great argument man!
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

The blocks are so smooth that you cannot fit a razor blade in between them...and standard archeology says this was done with cooper age tools...Including dolemite, granite and other extremely hard stone, stones are worked with inside cuts, precision flawless cuts that are difficult to duplicate today. ImageAnd HUGE stones, literally on top of a mountain, the quarry miles away Image
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay...here's one...

quote:
Source

quote:

Source

Who says they are doing one piece at time in just one place? Pyramid's got four sides. It's big enough for several parallel crews.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
The blocks are so smooth that you cannot fit a razor blade in between them...
Well, no. I've been to Giza. I guarantee you that I can.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

I've never been, but I was surprised how jagged they were in these pics!

http://gawker.com/5992398/the-unbelievable-photos-taken-by-the-crazy-russians-who-illegally-climbed-egypts-great-pyramid

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
See, this is just bad logic.

It's like saying that since 60 cars arrive in parking lot in a span of 1 hour each morning, that each car's entire journey had to take just 1 minute. Impossible!

That type of oversimplification assumes that the blocks were being carved one at a time, transported one at a time, and set one at a time.

Quarrying blocks with multple parallel teams, bringing them down the Nile in a chain of barges, moving overland in a caravan, and laying the stones at multiple points along the pyramid at the same time... all of those factors confound a simple "let's divide the number of seconds" model.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

Tight fitting stones? I've seen reports of some ancient structures that fit that description, but not the pyramids in Egypt.

What I find sad is the thought that, "Since I can't think of a way bronze age people could have done this, well we are just to stupid to do it without help." No we weren't. We were as bright and resourceful then as now. We did organize hundreds of thousands for war, and when war was over, used them for peaceful purposes.

There is also the question of timing.

The first Egyptian Pyramids were built around 2700BC by Imhotep. They were not the 1st pyramids ever, as Babylonians, Sumerians and others had previously built Step Pyramids that the Egyptians copied. Later they smoothed out the steps to be just 1 block each, then smoothed them out with cover stones.

The pyramids of Giza, the big ones we know of, were built 150 years later as the fad was perfected.

What about those other great mysteries.

Stonehenge was 500 hundred years earlier, 3100bc to 2800bc.

The Nazac lines in South America were 2000 years later, 500bc to 500ad.

The pyramids in Mexico, about 1AD.

The mysterious Incan wonders in the mountains of Peru, didn't occur until the 15th century AD. Their empire started in 1438ad, and lasted around 100 years. Those blocks Modern Man can't create were created a lot closer to modern times than to ancient times.

You can't really call them an Ancient wonder when most of the modern cities of Europe were already thriving at the time they were built--unless you believe that since they were dark skinned folks and non-Christian, non-European, then they could never figure things out. Then, of course, it would have to be Aliens.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the pyramids were designed by aliens, but the work was completed by local contractors who didn't understand the plans. The things were supposed to be portable and roughly eighteen inches on a side.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
i'm going to watch this entire dumb conspiracy video series about pyramids. i will subject myself to as much of it as i can stand.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
Actually, the pyramids were designed by aliens, but the work was completed by local contractors who didn't understand the plans. The things were supposed to be portable and roughly eighteen inches on a side.

That was Stonehenge.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Those amazon.com photos can be pretty tricksy. You have to read the fine print.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that Disney has now purchased Stonehenge. Once they're done reconstructing the missing pieces in fiberglass, we'll finally get to experience it as intended.

And there will be better merchandising. Possibly a Star Wars tie in.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
They finally built Stonehenge in the size the aliens were intending. You can find it in the World's Largest Collection of World's Smallest Versions of World's Largest Things Traveling Roadside Attraction and Museum.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

That's brilliant!
kmbboots
Member # 8576

In ancient times,
Hundreds of years before the dawn of history
Lived a strange race of people, the Druids

No one knows who they were or what they were doing
But their legacy remains
Hewn into the living rock, of Stonehenge.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

The Pyramid Code is impressively bad.

It angers me that this bullshit works on anyone. I am legitimately sad that this conspiracy "Could there be something more? Could that something be <completely implausible thing>???" crap actually works on anything.

What the hell, stone wolf.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

[Roll Eyes]
Samprimary
Member # 8561

You can roll your eyes all you like. You act like you're not aware of what the series is claiming there is evidence for. I mean, if you're aware and you still believe this over historical and archaeological record, then that's its own can of worms.

Regardless, still waiting for your lists.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.